• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

BREAKING:

Each Band Member Stand-In slot corresponds DIRECTLY with an instrument. I forget which is which, but next time you load your band, check, and if someone is in a position you don't want, swap them around into the order that corresponds with the instruments. (Does that make sense? Trust me, it works.)

RB3 DOES, however, use female stand ins for female vox this time around so if, say, you have Kate Austen on drums, she will switch with Jack Shepard for vox on that AMAZING Dealership song "Database Corrupted" (best RB song of all time? it is this week!)

Sooooo YAY!!

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Just got this from the Rock Band twitter account:

Rush's "Subdivisions" and Doors songs now available as singles for DLC! Link coming soon!!

Hell yes! Subdivisions is the first song that I thought of when I heard keyboards were being included.

Harmonix is the bestest!

Wessiej said:
Good job Harmonix, only the Wii version is out here in The Netherlands. The PS360 version? Nobody knows.

I just got Rockband 3 from Mediamarkt. So the PS3 version is definitely out here now. :)

However, not only are there problems with the Keytar as mentioned before, but mediamarkt told me that they won't stock any Rockband instruments whatsoever. Whereas if there's a defective instrument for a Guitar Hero/Activision game they can just send it back to them and get a new one, EA/Mad Catz currently doesn't work like that. And as plastic instruments take up a lot of space already anyway, they're just not interested.

Looks like online retail is the way to go here, and then only one that you trust to take the instruments back!

For now I'll stick with Rockband 3 with my Guitar Hero band set and Singstar Mikes to tide me over, and wait out the instrument stuff ... I'll probably get a MIDI kit or something next month and then a cheap keyboard with speakers that my son can also play with stand-alone.

Ark Malmeida said:

Rush's "Subdivisions" and Doors songs now available as singles for DLC! Link coming soon!!

Hell yes! Subdivisions is the first song that I thought of when I heard keyboards were being included.

Harmonix is the bestest!

Is it up on the store now?

Kibs

As usual the european launch seems to be a complete joke if you don't live in the uk or maybe germany. Took me 5 stores (a mix of game and electronic stores) to find one that received 2 copies. Instruments? Nowhere to be found, seems like most retailers just don't bother to stock up anymore :(
This counts for both Denmark and -from what my friends tell me- Belgium. What the ef EA :/

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
UltimaPooh said:
Is it up on the store now?
Don't know because I'm at work, but I would love it if someone could check.

Wonder if you can play Subdivisions Geddy style - have one account signed into the bass and one signed in to pro keys and play both during the song?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
BenjaminBirdie said:
BREAKING:

Each Band Member Stand-In slot corresponds DIRECTLY with an instrument. I forget which is which, but next time you load your band, check, and if someone is in a position you don't want, swap them around into the order that corresponds with the instruments. (Does that make sense? Trust me, it works.)

RB3 DOES, however, use female stand ins for female vox this time around so if, say, you have Kate Austen on drums, she will switch with Jack Shepard for vox on that AMAZING Dealership song "Database Corrupted" (best RB song of all time? it is this week!)

Sooooo YAY!!

Explain this to me again in even simpler terms as I will be getting the game this evening and setting up my band.
You have to create a band-mate for each instrument rather than make all the band-mates and then assign them an instrument.

bounchfx

Ark Malmeida said:

Harmonix is the bestest!

so only one DLC song? or are they counting the doors songs this week too...?

navanman said:
Explain this to me again in even simpler terms as I will be getting the game this evening and setting up my band.
You have to create a band-mate for each instrument rather than make all the band-mates and then assign them an instrument.

There are four slots for Band Stand-Ins. There are no indications which instrument each one is for, but they do correspond directly. The first one always plays ____________, the second always plays _____________, etc. (Except in the case of vocals, where female vox are represented by a female member.) I don't remember the exact correspondence, so just load up a band with your stand ins, take note of who's playing what, and then go back to the Band Stand-In menu, take everyone out and then put them back in the order you want, remembering who was where. (Example [without the correct number, this is just to explain, I don't remember the exact slot]: Jack Shepard is in the third slot and played bass. Charlie is in the fourth slot and was on vocals. I went back to the menu, took them both out, and put Jack in the fourth slot and Charlie in the third slot. Now they are on the instruments I wanted them on.)

This is all with me on the same instrument the whole time, btw. If you're switching around a lot, you may have to do this a lot.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
jessecuster said:
FWIW, Best Buys around me did not have the keyboard bundle for 360. I called and they said they would sell me the game and the keyboard but still charge me the bundle price.

Also, I have never really progressed beyond medium on guitar in RB1 or 2. They never used any orange notes. I tried it out last night on medium and in RB3 the charts include orange notes. I wonder why they made that change.
They started adding orange on medium in some of the more recent DLC over the past year.

At first I was a little put off by it since it seemed like it just made medium harder than it already was, but now I'm realizing why they did it, and it's quite smart. Before you had a pretty massive jump in difficulty between Medium and Hard because you literally had NO practice with shifting previously (assuming just a standard progression through difficulty modes in normal gameplay), so not only are you dealing with everything else being faster and harder but you're simultaneously having to learn a new physical skill from scratch.

Now having the orange notes in relatively "easy" situations on medium gives you some practice at how to shift and make the adjustments necessary to hit those notes in sequence without completely throwing you to the wolves. I have a feeling it will make transitioning to Hard a lot easier.

Axiom

After spending ages in chat support for two days in a row, I've ended up with two Rock Band 2 export codes that don't actually work..or well they did, in the US Playstation network when I'm in Australia.

They eventually told me to create a US PSN ID and redeem it at the store itself then head over to the Australian PSN and re-download it from my download history , I downloaded the 100kb unlock key from the US store, and nothing happened.
Nothing showed up or appeared, nothing available in my download history either US or Aussie. Trying the codes in-game on either ID just gave me an error.

Now from what I understand, if I had been signed into my US id and the code had actually worked, wouldn't it have popped up with an option to purchase it...which I can't do because I don't have a US credit card? Not that I think it would since whenever I browse the US Rock Band store in game everything shows up as 'currently unavailable'

Have any PAL people had any luck with this, or should I just specify a UK export key, which I assume would work straight up with the Aussie PSN.
On that note, has anyone had any luck getting the Doors songs either?

On the other hand, I've made a list of at least 100 songs I'd like off the store, so this frustration is saving me some money.
This is like a whole different kind of Super Meat Boy, game I love kicking me in the balls over and over.

MetatronM said:
They started adding orange on medium in some of the more recent DLC over the past year.

At first I was a little put off by it since it seemed like it just made medium harder than it already was, but now I'm realizing why they did it, and it's quite smart. Before you had a pretty massive jump in difficulty between Medium and Hard because you literally had NO practice with shifting previously (assuming just a standard progression through difficulty modes in normal gameplay), so not only are you dealing with everything else being faster and harder but you're simultaneously having to learn a new physical skill from scratch.

Now having the orange notes in relatively "easy" situations on medium gives you some practice at how to shift and make the adjustments necessary to hit those notes in sequence without completely throwing you to the wolves. I have a feeling it will make transitioning to Hard a lot easier.

I too was initially thrown off by the addition of orange in medium, but it's really helped me adjust to shifting my hand down.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Do the blue/green cymbal inputs on anyone else's drums seem to be swapped? I have my cymbals set up as yellow-blue-green (left to right) as they should be, yet when I plug the blue cymbal into the blue jack, and do the same with the green, they're backwards when I'm actually playing. Just a weird quirk; everything is fine when I swap them.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
bounchfx said:
so only one DLC song? or are they counting the doors songs this week too...?
I can't access the Rock Band forums from work so I'm not sure, but I would think they would have something in the announcements forum.

I'm too excited by the Rush announcement to notice anything else anyways (unless it was more Rush songs of course :D )

Here's a little more (awesome) info from HMXThrasher:

Its true. RT @RockBandAide: FYI, next week's Rush song WILL contain Pro Guitar/Bass charts for an additional $.99! http://bit.ly/akJHeS

And so it begins with the Pro Guitar/Bass content. Hey Fender - hurry up with those Squires!

Glad we are getting "Subdivisions" but it would be nice to get a few more songs by them. "Spirit of the Radio" or "Anthem" perhaps. But it is nice to know that the lack of an on disc Rush song didnt spell their doom from RB in general. I was worried when Guitar Hero got "2112" and RB got nothing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
There are four slots for Band Stand-Ins. There are no indications which instrument each one is for, but they do correspond directly. The first one always plays ____________, the second always plays _____________, etc. (Except in the case of vocals, where female vox are represented by a female member.) I don't remember the exact correspondence, so just load up a band with your stand ins, take note of who's playing what, and then go back to the Band Stand-In menu, take everyone out and then put them back in the order you want, remembering who was where. (Example [without the correct number, this is just to explain, I don't remember the exact slot]: Jack Shepard is in the third slot and played bass. Charlie is in the fourth slot and was on vocals. I went back to the menu, took them both out, and put Jack in the fourth slot and Charlie in the third slot. Now they are on the instruments I wanted them on.)

This is all with me on the same instrument the whole time, btw. If you're switching around a lot, you may have to do this a lot.
Yeah, I set up one band lineup with one character while playing keyboards and had everybody in the right positions, but when I decided yesterday to play guitar with the character i had already on guitar, it rearranged where everybody else in the band was playing, despite my not touching the order of the stand-ins. A little trial and error with reordering the stand-in list, and I had everybody back in their proper positions.

So while they do stay in position once they're set, it seems like what those positions are changes based on what character from the list is currently being used.

It does seem a lot more cumbersome than it's worth. I'm not sure why they didn't just let us assign directly to instruments rather than having to guess.

Also, I'm a little peeved about only one band per profile. I had secondary bands in RB2 that I wanted to remake, but now I have to do them on another profile? I guess it's the price to pay for the new style of presentation (and shorter loading times).

BenjaminBirdie said:
ARGH the light just keeps blinking
Is it the sole instrument, or are there other instruments already synced? I know that if you have multiple instruments on already, adding another doesnt always work unless you go to "All Instruments Mode" in the game.

cjdunn

AstroLad said:
That's cool that vocals correspond now; now I just have to put a dude into my stand-ins.

It's a very nice addition. It was a bit odd in RB2 seeing my goth dude with the voice of Belinda Carlisle in "We Got the Beat".

Am I crazy or do I see band members, who aren't the lead singer, sing parts of the chorus? Is that new?

Pancho

Qurupancho
cjdunn said:
It's a very nice addition. It was a bit odd in RB2 seeing my goth dude with the voice of Belinda Carlisle in "We Got the Beat".

Am I crazy or do I see band members, who aren't the lead singer, sing parts of the chorus? Is that new?

You're crazy, they also did that in RB2.

MetatronM said:
Yeah, I set up one band lineup with one character while playing keyboards and had everybody in the right positions, but when I decided yesterday to play guitar with the character i had already on guitar, it rearranged where everybody else in the band was playing, despite my not touching the order of the stand-ins. A little trial and error with reordering the stand-in list, and I had everybody back in their proper positions.

So while they do stay in position once they're set, it seems like what those positions are changes based on what character from the list is currently being used.

It does seem a lot more cumbersome than it's worth. I'm not sure why they didn't just let us assign directly to instruments rather than having to guess.

Also, I'm a little peeved about only one band per profile. I had secondary bands in RB2 that I wanted to remake, but now I have to do them on another profile? I guess it's the price to pay for the new style of presentation (and shorter loading times).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the order is

1.Vocals
2.Guitar
3.Bass
4.Drums

I only remember there being 4 slots but I assume if there is a 5th then naturally, that would be keyboard. And as mentioned, any assigned characters will shift depending on what instrument you're actually playing, and what gender the vocals are for.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
PhoncipleBone said:
Glad we are getting "Subdivisions" but it would be nice to get a few more songs by them. "Spirit of the Radio" or "Anthem" perhaps. But it is nice to know that the lack of an on disc Rush song didnt spell their doom from RB in general. I was worried when Guitar Hero got "2112" and RB got nothing.

That was my fear too. I was hoping to see the singles from Clockwork Angels, but I'll take anything from Rush. Seems like anything prior to Moving Pictures might end up being live though (Weren't Spirit of Radio and 2112 not the original recordings in GH?), unless they can find an alternate recording, like they did for Working Man as I'm not sure the earlier stuff was recorded with separate tracks (hope I'm wrong though!).

Pancho

Qurupancho
PhoncipleBone said:
Yup.

I just wish I could make a seven person band. A keyboardist and a full array of backup singers.

I'd be happy with just a 5-man band. Having only 4 dudes on-stage at any time is kind of...lame. Would be awesome if bassist and keyboardist be at the stage at the same time.

So has the export issue for RB2 been worked out on the PS3 yet? RB3 is sitting on my coffee table and the keyboard will be @ my place tomorrow...want to play lots.

I3rand0

demosthenes said:
So has the export issue for RB2 been worked out on the PS3 yet? RB3 is sitting on my coffee table and the keyboard will be @ my place tomorrow...want to play lots.
Yes I did the export on Wednesday.

vg260

firehawk12 said:
I wonder though, since you can be scored on No Fail mode... you almost might as well play with that on and not even worry about the other stuff.

Really? I didn't know that.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Grew some balls and made the jump to medium pro Keys.

Man, Keys are slowly becoming one of my favorite instruments in the game :D

Frustrating as fuck but when you nail it, it feels great!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
some of these pro keys charts don't feel like I'm playing the song... I am no music expert at all, is it just that I'm mostly playing the correct notes but at varying octaves that it doesn't feel right to me?

Pancho said:

have you tried the learn a song feature in training? Pretty cool way to introduce yourself to a song before jumping in.

Dartastic

Dell still hasn't even SHIPPED my RB3 yet. WTF. I know I didn't pay for crazy shipping, but at least ship the damn thing when it comes out.

Pancho said:

You playing w/ the RB keyboard or a MIDI adapter?

Ristlager

So my girlfriend got this very expensive yamaha keyboard, paid some 2k$ for it 7 years ago. Checked for midi out and found them on the side, does that mean that I have a keyboard to use for this game, just need the midi usb adaptor?

DukeSucks

I'm loving the game so far, but does the transparency of the highway at the top bother anyone else? I keep getting distracted by the background animations coming through.

Chairhome

Bah, went to Best Buy to pick up the keyboard and they were sold out of the 360 version :-(. Might have to wait for the next shipment...

Minsc

Gold Member
How does the 360 handle patching, is it automatic?

It sounds like they're in need of a patch already, I imagine they issued quite a few with RB2?

I wonder what they'd do for the Wii?

Did any of the patches have any major new content in them?

So many questions! Guess that's what happens when you jump in late.

Ristlager said:
So my girlfriend got this very expensive yamaha keyboard, paid some 2k$ for it 7 years ago. Checked for midi out and found them on the side, does that mean that I have a keyboard to use for this game, just need the midi usb adaptor?

Yes.

And again, people wondering why so few stores get instruments for Rockband 3, blame EA/Mad Catz policy for either not accepting returns, or not communicating this with retailers properly, because together with getting almost no margin on these instruments, now retailers have no incentive to stock them.

So, can anyone point me to a more reliable drumset to use with this game? We've been using the RB2 (PS3) drums but they have a nasty and annoying habit of un-syncing in the middle of gameplay. The batteries are fresh, I've done the washers/battery thing to secure them in there, and I've even put some more cushioning between the case and the batteries but nothing seems to work. Are the drums from the Beatles set any different?

Raistlin

Ark Malmeida said:
Don't know because I'm at work, but I would love it if someone could check.

Wonder if you can play Subdivisions Geddy style - have one account signed into the bass and one signed in to pro keys and play both during the song?

If you want ... you could even do vocals as well.

I sign in with a mic and play instruments all the time. The problem with doing Geddy style however (assuming it is accurate), is that there are times when he is using foot pedals (kind of like pipe organ) because both hands are already in use. There isn't a way to do that ... well not without modding an instrument or something :D

PhoncipleBone said:

Yes

YES

2112 Pro ... NOW

It pains me so much that I can't actually play pro mode. Freak'n MIDI adapter and Squier delays :(

Regardless, I'm so excited this is a Pro mode song :)

parasight

Any friendly GAFer wanna help me out? My bundle's been delayed to next week so I won't be able to take advantage of the free Doors pack. I've been calling Rogers Plus stores in attempt to rent it, but they don't have it either. I need someone I can trust to login to my GT and get them into my Download History so I can get the free pack. PM me if you'd like to help.

Raistlin said:
Yes

YES

2112 Pro ... NOW

It pains me so much that I can't actually play pro mode. Freak'n MIDI adapter and Squier delays :(
I only play on pro drums, but cant wait to get a squier or mustang controller to learn on. But I would love if they could go back and add the synth parts back into Moving Pictures and whatnot.

AstroLad said:
I don't desperately need one but for starters neither the slider nor the star power are explained afaik. I figured those out through experimentation but that's kind of a crappy way to learn about basic features. Also as I'm very familiar with EA Sports games, sometimes there will be game features that are neither obvious nor even alluded to in documentation or in-game. A comprehensive detailing of all the contours of the instrument and gameplay is useful to anyone (and if it's 90% the same old stuff, then even easier for them). A good tutorial is never a bad thing (unless you have a great manual, which this game most definitely does not).
Pretty sure all those things are discussed in the keyboard's manual. It explains the non-pro mode, how to hold the keyboard, what the touch slider and sustain button do.

Top Bottom