• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Raistlin

Slacker said:
This might be old news, but here's the full list for Tuesday:

Rush – “Subdivisions” X
The Doors – “Light My Fire” X
The Doors – “Riders on the Storm” X
The Doors – “Touch Me” X
The Doors – “Hello, I Love You”
The Doors – “L.A. Woman”
The Doors – “Love Her Madly”
The Doors – “Love Me Two Times”
The Doors – “Peace Frog”
The Doors – “People Are Strange”
The Doors – “Roadhouse Blues”
The Doors – “Soul Kitchen”
The Doors – “The Crystal Ship”

X = pro guitar and bass for $0.99 more. Doors Greatest Hits for $20 or 1600 space bucks.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?205358-DLC-Week-of-11-2-Rush-s-Subdivisions-and-The-Doors-12-Pack-Singles!

All are available Pro?

:eek:

Got my keyboard and played some Bohemian Rhapsody. So good. I feel like I'm cheating playing on Pro Easy though, so I cranked it up to Pro Expert. Holy Crap....

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
DukeSucks said:
I'm loving the game so far, but does the transparency of the highway at the top bother anyone else? I keep getting distracted by the background animations coming through.
Yes. It bothers me A LOT. This is probably the most popular complaint about this game. It is so fucking distracting it's not even funny. The transparency was fine in Rock Band 2, but in this one, it really is hard to see upcoming notes in some parts because the background distracts you.

jgkspsx

jgkspsx said:
Did the LRB export key page eat your code? Well, apparently, they are going to update the page tomorrow (and mark the codes as unused?)

I do not expect this to work, but what the hey.
For the record, they seem to have reset the code. Then the exact same thing happened to me again. Oh well.

Finally finished the Supernatural setlist a bit ago. Took a few minutes every few songs to get a break, but damn that was a long list. It doesnt help that many songs on it are very long either. Urgh.

Varna

I'm still waiting for my girlfriend to get home so we can do some serious playing. But I am so impressed with how the game looks and runs. I knew RB could run at 60FPS! It's pretty consistent just from the few random songs I played too.

What's the consensus on the Ion drums... worth it, or would it be better to get a "real" MIDI drum kit and pick up the MIDI adapter later?

I'd like to get into the pro drums on this game, but I don't know if I can justify $300-ish for drums that only work for RB if I could spend $500 on something a little nicer. Or do you guys think the Ions are solid enough to use as an actual kit?

Raistlin

rohlfinator said:
What's the consensus on the Ion drums... worth it, or would it be better to get a "real" MIDI drum kit and pick up the MIDI adapter later?

I'd like to get into the pro drums on this game, but I don't know if I can justify $300-ish for drums that only work for RB if I could spend $500 on something a little nicer. Or do you guys think the Ions are solid enough to use as an actual kit?

Well yeah, you can use the Ion kit as an actual e-drum set ... it matters how serious you are.

I, not having played drums prior, enjoyed rock band drumming so much I decided to get a 'real' e-kit. Once you've used something like mesh heads, you just can't go back to those blocks of wood you've been hitting. Granted you can mod Ions to use mesh heads, but it's a bit of a pain.

I'm kind of nuts and went with a Roland TR-9SX and Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal.

OFFIMG_rolandtd9sx.jpg

:\

The cool thing is when I bought it, there was a rebate for two extra symbols. I'm going to add one more tom in the center one of these days, and that should be it for a while. Of course now I need to get an iMac for recording. :lol It never ends.

Hige

I've got that same kit Raistlin. The wait for the midi adapter is killing me! I want to play pro drums, but it seems pointless to shell out cash for RB3 cymbals if I won't be using them a month from now.

Raistlin said:
Well yeah, you can use the Ion kit as an actual e-drum set ... it matters how serious you are.

I, not having played drums prior, enjoyed rock band drumming so much I decided to get a 'real' e-kit. Once you've used something like mesh heads, you just can't go back to those blocks of wood you've been hitting. Granted you can mod Ions to use mesh heads, but it's a bit of a pain.

I'm kind of nuts and went with a Roland TR-9SX and Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal.

OFFIMG_rolandtd9sx.jpg

:\

The cool thing is when I bought it, there was a rebate for two extra symbols. I'm going to add one more tom in the center one of these days, and that should be it for a while. Of course now I need to get an iMac for recording. :lol It never ends.
Ah, thanks! Yeah, I'd like to get something with mesh heads if possible... I knew a guy in college with a Roland kit (might have been the same one, actually, looks very similar) and it was really nice. Bit out of my price range, though... :(

Maybe I'll poke around on eBay for a bit and see if I can get a used one for a lower price.

Have you tried the Ion drums, and if so how do they compare to the Roland?

Raistlin

Hige said:
I've got that same kit Raistlin. The wait for the midi adapter is killing me! I want to play pro drums, but it seems pointless to shell out cash for RB3 cymbals if I won't be using them a month from now.

Yeah, it hurts. I have a Yamaha P-70 lookin' for love too :(

Can't justify the keytar for a month's use. Yeah, it's convenient for travel or for people that like to stand ... but I'll just wait for a used one if I really think I need one.

rohlfinator said:
Ah, thanks! Yeah, I'd like to get something with mesh heads if possible... I knew a guy in college with a Roland kit (might have been the same one, actually, looks very similar) and it was really nice. Bit out of my price range, though... :(

Maybe I'll poke around on eBay for a bit and see if I can get a used one for a lower price.

Have you tried the Ion drums, and if so how do they compare to the Roland?

There are lower end models that use mesh heads too. One thing I'd caution though it to determine whether the MIDI it outputs is configured properly. The issue is that many brains can't configure the MIDI values - in that case you need to have one that matches the expected set of values.

Something like http://docsrockbandmods.netforums.us/ is a probably a good place to go. I'm sure they'll start compiling a list of known compatible devices if they haven't already (I know the MIDI values have been posted somewhere there too).

As for the Ions, yeah a friend of mind has it. It's definitely a huge step up from the game drums - it is an actual (low end) e-kit. The main advantages are better durability, and most importantly, placement configurability. That importance of the latter cannot be overstated. Getting your kit set up for your body makes drumming sooooooo much easier. You should definitely get an adjustable drum throne too - seating height is very important, particularly for pedal work.

What isn't a huge step up is the feel though. The pads are a bit more cushiony (and thankfully quieter), but your still hitting a hard surface with little give. It doesn't feel like a real drum, both in terms of physical touch but also in the fact you do not receive the proper kinetic feedback. The bounce of a real skin (or mesh head for the most part) makes it much easier to do rolls consistently, transitions, etc.

If you want more details about what makes my specific kit better, I can give them. It might be better to find some in your price range and then ask questions though. I'll simply say that their is little comparison between the Ion and my set ;)

Varna

The music sounds better to everyone right? Sounds like it just gives all instruments nice and clear sound instead of just focusing on the ones being played.

rohlfinator said:

I'd get a real kit if you want to actually drum outside of RB. I have Ions, and I've FC'd tons of shit with them. The pads are really nice, they have picked up every roll I've put down.

After playing way too much this week, how the hell can they classify the bass on "Crazy Train" as devil horns? There are like two lil sections that are remotely difficult. The beginning of each chorus (with the strum, HOPO clusterfuck), and the guitar solo which is just "strum like fucking crazy." The rest of that song on bass is rather simple and straight forward. Fun as hell, but not terribly complicated.

Same with the guitar on "Roundabout." Tough in a few lil pockets, but nothing terrifying. The bass on the other hand deserves every single one of those devil horns.

AvidNobody said:
I'd get a real kit if you want to actually drum outside of RB. I have Ions, and I've FC'd tons of shit with them. The pads are really nice, they have picked up every roll I've put down.
Knowing you are a drummer in this game, all I can see when I look at your avatar is Emma drumming.

butter_stick said:
Harmonix are terrible when it comes to tiers. There's tier 0 keys songs I fail on, and tier 2 stuff I can nearly five star.
Most of it though they are spot on. I am glad some of the older stuff got more realistic tiers, such as "Foreplay/Long Time."

Sadly, I can five star "Roundabout" on expert guitar, but can barely four star "Eye of the Tiger." Those constant strums of the same note just kill me.

y2dvd

I was trying to hold off buying this song until a holiday sale but playing keyboard at a friends place totally won me over in getting it now. So fun!

Raistlin said:
There are lower end models that use mesh heads too. One thing I'd caution though it to determine whether the MIDI it outputs is configured properly. The issue is that many brains can't configure the MIDI values - in that case you need to have one that matches the expected set of values.

Something like http://docsrockbandmods.netforums.us/ is a probably a good place to go. I'm sure they'll start compiling a list of known compatible devices if they haven't already (I know the MIDI values have been posted somewhere there too).

As for the Ions, yeah a friend of mind has it. It's definitely a huge step up from the game drums - it is an actual (low end) e-kit. The main advantages are better durability, and most importantly, placement configurability. That importance of the latter cannot be overstated. Getting your kit set up for your body makes drumming sooooooo much easier. You should definitely get an adjustable drum throne too - seating height is very important, particularly for pedal work.

What isn't a huge step up is the feel though. The pads are a bit more cushiony (and thankfully quieter), but your still hitting a hard surface with little give. It doesn't feel like a real drum, both in terms of physical touch but also in the fact you do not receive the proper kinetic feedback. The bounce of a real skin (or mesh head for the most part) makes it much easier to do rolls consistently, transitions, etc.

If you want more details about what makes my specific kit better, I can give them. It might be better to find some in your price range and then ask questions though. I'll simply say that their is little comparison between the Ion and my set ;)
Sounds like I should lean toward a real kit with mesh heads -- I played percussion through high school and I think I'd be disappointed with something that doesn't come pretty close to the authentic bounce feel.

I see that Roland has quite a few lower-end kits that at least have a mesh snare... even their cheapest one has all the pads necessary for RB, plus an extra cymbal and pedal compared to the Ion, and it's a pretty affordable $600. Or I could go with the TD-4SX which looks to be similar to the TD-9SX but with a cheaper sound module.

Hm, decisions... I'll have to check out that link.
Thanks, I appreciate the info! :)

Memles

butter_stick said:
Harmonix are terrible when it comes to tiers. There's tier 0 keys songs I fail on, and tier 2 stuff I can nearly five star.

The Pro Keys are even more ridiculous - "Oh My God" only has a few notes, but they're tough and fast chords. A song like "Rehab" is apparently more difficult, but it's actually far easier since the chords are less challenging.

I'm through everything but the final tier on Hard Pro Keys (The 3-Star requirement, not the 5-star) - very much enjoying it. Took me a few tries to get through "Smoke on the Water" in the Nightmare tier, but managed it in the end.

Aspiring

Can somebody tell me why i cannot post on the rockband forums? I am signed in as i can click the top and see my profile change my setting but when i try and post it makes me sign in, and when i do just reloads the sign in page.

Any idea?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aspiring said:
Can somebody tell me why i cannot post on the rockband forums? I am signed in as i can click the top and see my profile change my setting but when i try and post it makes me sign in, and when i do just reloads the sign in page.

Any idea?

It's weird. Sometimes you have to sign out and sign in again because the site login and the forum login aren't fully integrated.

Aspiring

Still not working. I logged out, and logged back in either through the top right hand corner or straight through the forums. I just get an error and it tells me i have used 1 of 5 attempts even if i try 10 times.

But no matter which way i try and sign in it will always still log me in and its says in the top right "welcome aspiring" and allows me to change settings etc.

Its starting to annoy me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aspiring said:
Still not working. I logged out, and logged back in either through the top right hand corner or straight through the forums. I just get an error and it tells me i have used 1 of 5 attempts even if i try 10 times.

But no matter which way i try and sign in it will always still log me in and its says in the top right "welcome aspiring" and allows me to change settings etc.

Its starting to annoy me.

Yeah, I fixed it by using the site login on the top... otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you... change browsers or clear cookies maybe.

Looks like I might buy a Beatles bundle... maybe the game will be with a few cents.

But is that new bass controller thing as good as the fender guitar?

corkscrewblow said:
lol no

They've always been awful at tiering.

you guys always bitch about the the small amount of songs that are tiered wrong. If 100/2000 songs are tiered wrong that doesn't make them awful at tiering.

BigBlackGamer said:
you guys always bitch about the the small amount of songs that are tiered wrong. If 100/2000 songs are tiered wrong that doesn't make them awful at tiering.
Yup. And two instruments are tiered well, but the other isn't. They do a good enough job, but there is sip till some room for improvement.

If anything the songs tiered a lil too high make me feel better about my skills if i five starthem.

firehawk12 said:
Some songs from RB1/2 didn't make it because of licensing issues.
Wow that sucks. One of the things I love about these games is the library building with each new release but if songs are gonna start slipping through the net each time that really takes the shine off.

Glitches I've noticed:

Keeping scoring, several tracks I've played today have no stars or scores, some I even played muliple times today!

One song in a 3 song setlist didn't recognize star power being deployed despite me doing it 4 times, the other 2 did.

Varna

I can't believe that's the Dire Straits song we get... Love the song, but such a bad choice for this game. Should have been Telegraph Road... hell, anything from Making Movies, Love over Gold and Brother in arms would have been a lot better. Better get some DLC.

Kind of sucks that there are so many songs without a keyboard part... Spent 80 bucks on it. Every song should have a part. Any talk about having previous released DLC support keyboard?

Varna said:
I can't believe that's the Dire Straits song we get... Love the song, but such a bad choice for this game. Should have been Telegraph Road... hell, anything from Making Movies, Love over Gold and Brother in arms would have been a lot better. Better get some DLC.

How is Walk of Life a bad choice? It has keyboard, it's catchy, people know it. Unlike the other songs you listed...save that stuff for DLC.

fernoca

After not playing the game for a day, played it for a few hours. At first I knew something was weird, but continued playing. Heck, got Juke Joint Jezebel from KMFDM so was happy. Except when I realized that I was playing the game using as strum bar, the small analog stick. Ignored that was possible. :lol :lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Varna said:

Kind of sucks that there are so many songs without a keyboard part... Spent 80 bucks on it. Every song should have a part. Any talk about having previous released DLC support keyboard?
At least one DLC band is being retrofitted to have all the new RB3 bells and whistles (keys, harmonies, pro stuff), but they didn't say what band it was. Queen seems most likely.

Varna

Affeinvasion said:
How is Walk of Life a bad choice? It has keyboard, it's catchy, people know it. Unlike the other songs you listed...save that stuff for DLC.

Good portion of their songs have a keyboard and they have a lot of well known songs. Industrial Disease, One World... almost everything from Making Movies got a lot of air time. Plenty of options. I really just think the guitar sucks for that song. So many chord fest in RB3.

Loving the game overall... Definitely feels like a worthwhile improvement.

Top Bottom