• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

RedRum

Banned
I mean which is it?

People complain that MS doesn't retain exclusives and that they should have more.

Thread about an MS exclusive turns into an "It should be on PS4/Switch" also if they want it to sell.

Kei-

Don't feel bad. If you're interested in the game, get it at whatever you feel comfortable buying it at. We aren't trying to score points here.

I have your game pre-ordered on the Windows 10 store (had some Microsoft store credit and would like to take advantage of Play Anywhere) will I be able to play co-op with friends who buy the Steam version?

Well, they have my money already and if they have another unique game like Cuphead, I'll give them some more for it as well.

Teeth

I have your game pre-ordered on the Windows 10 store (had some Microsoft store credit and would like to take advantage of Play Anywhere) will I be able to play co-op with friends who buy the Steam version?

There's no online co-op on any version, sorry :(

I dont understand why people make it seem like if a game is exclusive to Xbox and not released on other platforms, then the game will be a failure.

It's probably a better demographic to chase than xbox's player base

Can't believe these idiot devs in 2014 didn't announce the switch version and cancel the Xbox one release immediately

In 2014

And now that its 2017 and the game is shipping in 3 months, idiots won't even cancel the Xbox one version and start development on the switch. Foolish

Kei-

There's no online co-op on any version, sorry :(

Oh I was under the impression it was, that's completely my fault. Just saw co-op and assumed it was online, thanks for the heads up. Will have to let my friend know, he'll probably cancel (we pre-ordered together), I'll have to think on it.

Sizzel

I have wanted to play this game for so long. I sincerely hope it delivers and is a huge success. I am getting the bad vibes from the delays and reworks/change of scope, but I hope it reviews well and consequently sells well. If they kick it out a week before release for review ..we probably have a winner. In for PC if reviews well. In for PC on steep discount sale if not.

Definitely looking forward to it. Happy to see the Gunstar is alive/mixed emotion on the platforming. More exciting than any Anthem or storied AAA sequel on the horizon for its novelty and unique art style.

jholmes

For the amount of work and sacrifice, not really. There's a good documentary about it.

Are you talking about Indie Game The Movie?

Where one of the Super Meat Boy guys yelled at some dude at Microsoft at the beginning of the movie because the game didn't go live on time but by the end they were millionaires?

Trup1aya

But doesnt guarantee that the game would sale more than the original released platform install base count.

If a game was released on another platform, but sold the same amount of copies as the Xbox, then what?

He's responding to the guy who suggested the switch demographic would be a better target for this game than the Xbox one demographic...

The Xbox one installed base is much larger than the switches (atm), and he hasn't clarified the characteristics that would make Switch players a better target.

He's responding to the guy who suggested the switch demographic would be a better target for this game than the Xbox one demographic...

The Xbox one installed base is much larger than the switches (atm), and he hasn't clarified the characteristics that would make Switch players a better target.

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying. :)

le.phat

I dont understand why people make it seem like if a game is exclusive to Xbox and not released on other platforms, then the game will be a failure.

It’s not exclusive to Xbox, its coming to Mac and pc. That will make sure that the game will sell enough.

Caayn

I can't speak for Joe and I can only speak anecdotally from my own experience and from a few other devs, most of our games are not received well on Xbox.

When we announced one of our games the chatter was night/day between Xbox and PS boards which led me (and a few other devs) to rethink putting in work for an XO version.

Kind of a kick in the gut when you were vehemently voicing your concern about multiplatform development for a long time, to seeing changes come about and then being able to announce after having gotten somewhere with your concerns only to have the community, by overwhelming majority, shit on your work while the other side takes to your game in the extreme opposite.

You sit and think "why the fuck am I putting in time if this is how it is received by this party?"

I have had some long talks with other devs about just that question weighing the pros and cons of that platform being indie.

Again, anecdotal, but I'm not the only one.
can you name your game? I can't remember any indie game being shat on by community X and not by community Y.* Where the situations fully equal? Did all versions receive the same content, etc?

*Destiny comes to mind but that's not exactly indie and Bungie is to blame for the negativity surrounding Destiny.

dickroach

I mean which is it?

People complain that MS doesn't retain exclusives and that they should have more.

Thread about an MS exclusive turns into an "It should be on PS4/Switch" also if they want it to sell.

Microsoft would sell more consoles if they had more exclusives
Cuphead would sell more units if it was on more consoles.

jsnepo

Not to be a dick but is everyone just excited about this game because of the visuals? I've watched and read some gameplay impressions and it doesn't seem exciting.

Caayn

Microsoft would sell more consoles if they had more exclusives
Cuphead would sell more units if it was on more consoles.
Horizon Zero Dawn would also sell more units if it was on more consoles.
Crash Bandicoot remaster/remake/rewhatever would also sell more units if it was on more consoles.
Mario would also sell more units if it was on more consoles.
Etc.

Peterpan

No wonder Ori flopped on the Xbox.... Oh yea it never.

Btw guys this was initially a launch exclusive then it became a full console exclusive. Don't know if it has been discussed. Sure MS pumped more money it this after the initial investment.

Day one. The game looks amazing and the devs deserve every sale they can get. Showed some gameplay vids to my colleagues and they loved it too. Great job StudioMDHR.

Pepboy

Not to be a dick but is everyone just excited about this game because of the visuals? I've watched and read some gameplay impressions and it doesn't seem exciting.

Yeah. I honestly think the game would have made more profit if it had released near original announcement as the originally intended boss rush game. I think people's willingness to pay for style is quite limited, a lot of possible players will sit until it hits $3-5 on steam anyway. Not that profit is everything, but when you are at the point of mortgaging houses...

Just because it's a XBOX exclusive, that's all, they don't need any other reason. If this were a PS4 exclusive you wouldn't read so many negative/pessimistic posts about its exclusivity on a Sony platform, but hey this is a XBOX exclusive, then they laugh or bash the platform because the lack of exclusivities.

Just, some people

leeh

One of the most visually fantastic, unique and interesting indie games we've ever seen and just because its a console exclusive on Xbox, this thread is plagued with shit... Even though its on Steam.

I'm growing very tired of this forum. You all are pathetic.

To the ones who're just as interested as I am for this title, I think this will be fantastic :)

Best of luck to the devs, I know itll pay off for them.

How? It's been a standout at shows and the Xbox E3 for years now, which is already more exposure than the vast majority of indies get. If it reviews decently it'll do fine.

IMO, it's just not the type of game that will sell well on xobox1. I know its a meme here that xobx is a HaloForzaGears box but if you think about it, it's kinda true. Sunset Overdrive reviewed well and it flopped.

Shiggy

One of the most visually fantastic, unique and interesting indie games we've ever seen and just because its a console exclusive on Xbox, this thread is plagued with shit... Even though its on Steam.

I'm growing very tired of this forum. You all are pathetic.

To the ones who're just as interested as I am for this title, I think this will be fantastic :)

Best of luck to the devs, I know itll pay off for them.

The thread title focuses on the financial risks they took, so it's not pathetic when people question whether going Xbox-console exclusive will yield the best results for the team, given that we know that more quirky titles don't necessarily fare the best on the Xbox platform.

The thread title focuses on the financial risks they took, so it's not pathetic when people question whether going Xbox-console exclusive will yield the best results for the team, given that we know that more quirky titles don't necessarily fare the best on the Xbox platform.

This isn't a fucking wii u, it's a console with over 30 million units sold. The game will do fine

leeh

Sure. Cause Sony really care for indies don't they considering they wouldn't even show it at E3 even in a short video.

Indies and the early access platform has been success after success, so get outa here with your console warrior shit.

I've played it twice and it's brilliant if you like old school run and gun games like Treasure's Alien Soldier. It really plays beautifully.

Huge gamble to tied it only to xbox and pc and not multiplatform, I hope it sells well anyway..., I'm gonna pass =(, I sold my xbox some time ago.

Shiggy

Sure. Cause Sony really care for indies don't they considering they wouldn't even show it at E3 even in a short video.

Indies and the early access platform has been success after success, so get outa here with your console warrior shit.

Grow up. Whether Sony cares for indies or shows their games off at E3 doesn't mean anything in terms of actual sales. You bringing this up rather implies that you want to bring up "console warrior shit". I'm simply stating that these quirky titles don't fare as well, sales-wise, on the Xbox platform as on the PS4. The fact that indie devs on this forum tell you the same and that other indie titles aren't even coming to Xbox One anymore should make this clear even to you.

That doesn't mean that games cannot do better on Xbox than on PS4. It always depends on the target audience.

This isn't a fucking wii u, it's a console with over 30 million units sold. The game will do fine

Installed base itself doesn't mean a game will do well if there's an audience mismatch. Mario Kart 8 did well despite being on the Wii U because it appealed to the audience on that platform. Especially at 20 USD, this game will be a tough sell outside of a small audience, regardless of the platform.

Top Bottom