• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

Reading 10 deaths on here, is that through observing the motionless bodies on the floor, or does anyone have a reputable source?

Cappa

Banned
Huge difference between where I live and where I choose to vacation. I live where I live for work reasons, its kinda manditory. I get paid to live where I live. (Plus I live in a super safe suburb near NYC) Vacations on the other hand is completely my choice, I'm paying up the wazoo for international travels.

Also issue isn't about how safe the entire country is. There's a lot of dangerous parts in the U.S and I try to avoid those areas too. I vacation in super safe places in the US too. (Canada is my favorite close area though)

Its also the fact that these attacks are happening in place where you should feel safe. Large touristsy areas where you shouldn't have to worry about this stuff. Whats even more scary for me is that 5 of the places I went to on my honeymoon in Europe has had a terror attack in the past year. Those are pretty crazy numbers.
As an American now living in Europe. Yeah this is just an unnecessary fear. You are more likely to get raped robbed mugged murdered in Manhattan than you are to ever experience a terrorist attack in most anywhere in Europe.

Like there is no comparison to the shit I saw went through living in the US than my time living in Europe.

A few terrorist attacks mean absolutely nothing to the safety of living/travelling to Europe. How quick we are to forget San Bernardino, 9/11 etc

Have you heard anything? Are you close to it?

Damn, that shit must be scary.

I was near the epicenter. I went to catch a fucking khangaskahn in Pokemon go. If I didn't do that, I could have been hit or at least really close. When I saw people start running I bolted. The restaurant they're in is apparently close to me.

The running was like 10 minutes after the van hit the crowd.

Edit, sucks my phone battery is at 32%

Can't wait for the Spanish anti-terrorist forces to storm that barricaded restaurant and end these pieces of human filth.

EDIT: They're still barricaded right? I haven't been able to follow this.

Yes, his words have zero effect on the Spanish trying to deal with this situation.

It's scary stuff. These lunatics can go off at any moment. From grabbing a knife in a supermarket to driving a van into a crowd. How do we even being to protect ourselves against this.
There is no 100% protection against anything.

I didn't even knew the Spanish police stopped so many potential attacks. Quite impressive actually, unfortunately, not every attack can be stopped unless we also start to strip our own freedoms and rights.

Tagyhag

How are Trump words gonna affect anything in Spain?

Seriously, stop thinking the US is the center of the world.

It's thinking long term.

For example, let's say the USA became a full-on white nationalist country and all Muslims were kicked out.

Do you think the attacks in Europe would get smaller?

No, they would grow.

ISIS isn't just doing these attacks to cause people fear. It's to cause hatred for Muslims and get more disillusioned Muslims to their side.

I know it's hard to think objectively when attacks like these happen but we can't remain blind. It would be doing the victims a disservice.

Reckheim

I was near the epicenter. I went to catch a fucking khangaskahn in Pokemon go. If I didn't do that, I could have been hit. When I saw start running I bolted. The restaurant they're in is apparently close to me.

Edit, sucks my phone battery is at 32%

Shit; stay safe.

Dopus

Banned
It's thinking long term.

For example, let's say the USA became a full-on white nationalist country and all Muslims were kicked out.

Do you think the attacks in Europe would get smaller?

No, they would grow.

ISIS isn't just doing these attacks to cause people fear. It's to cause hatred for Muslims and get more disillusioned Muslims to their side.

I know it's hard to think objectively when attacks like these happen but we can't remain blind. It would be doing the victims a disservice.

Leave it out already.

what the fuck :( just when i thought maybe terror attacks have quieted down a little bit in Europe.. absolutely disgusting and horrifying. was this ISIS related Islamist terrorism or..? we should know pretty fast if it was.

So in 2001 we had planes and in 2017 we have cars and trucks.

I wonder what's next.

probably drones dropping grenades etc into crowds.

Eria

Kain

Barcelona-GAF here, we're OK!

There are casualties the police said, we just don't exactly know how many. Two at least and dozens of injured.

Spanish police has asked us not to, in order to protect the victims rights to privacy (plus they are not something nice to see)

And it's what terrorists want, it's their "marketing", to bring the terror to as many people as possible.

Fucking scum, I wish all the best to everybody suffering in Spain.

Fercho

I hope the perpetrators are not killed. But not because I'm concerned for their safety (fuck them) but because they need to interrogate the shit out of them.

Violet_0

Banned
Yes, rip to the victims, but I'm sorry, Donald Trump is unfortunately the President of the United States, we have to worry about him.
it would be nice if we could not inject Trump into any unrelated thread ever

the "oh, gotta strike Europe from my list of places to visit" people are annoying too, but okay it's up to them to decide if they feel safe or not. Though maybe it's not necessary to broadcast this to everyone repeatedly

I'm saddened about what's happening in Barcelona today. It's a lovely city full of great people

Boss Mog

These sick fucks watch TV and copy cat what they see the next day.

Are you actually suggesting that ISIS (if this is ISIS) decided to copy that piece of shit in Charlottesville? I hate to break it to you but ISIS were using vehicles as battering rams long before Charlottesville.

Mahonay

Banned
I hope the perpetrators are not killed. But not because I'm concerned for their safety (fuck them) but because they need to interrogate the shit out of them.
Always better to capture in hopes of getting info on other plans and terrorist cells.

ecosse_011172

People who are now shit-scared to go anywhere. that's what the bastards want.
Fuck them.

You're thousands of times more likely to die crossing the street or driving a car than by a terrorist attack.

Mahonay

Banned
People who are now shit-scared to go anywhere. that's what the bastards want.
Fuck them.

You're thousands of times more likely to die crossing the street or driving a car than by a terrorist attack.
This is something people should remember. Go outside and keep living your lives. Their attack will be all for nothing.

Mohonky

Just brutal. When will this shit end?

I made a thread the other week that got me 'juniored' because I dared make a thread that was immediately followed by the standard kneejerk before reading and viewing for context brigade jumped all over me before any viable discussion took place.

It WAS about looking into why these things happen with respect to the cultural, social and economical roots. The signs, the symptoms, how it comes about, how there are questions not raised for fear of being labelled as being racist or bigoted.

I bring that up because I am still annoyed by how people on here (and moderators) refuse to actual enter into discussions without bothering to understand the context preferring instead freak out into emotionally charged outbursts or perceive it to be an attack on their personal agenda without actually engaging in any form of coherent discussion to actually look into what the thread is about.

When will this stop? Never. Why? Because we don't want to know why because someone might think it's a sleight aimed at emotionally hurting them.

Instead of asking why this keeps happening, from the same places, for the same reasons and then establishing policies and procedures that recognise and attempt to help those who will be most vulnerable to being recruited for these activities, we'll just keep wondering why this shit keeps happening.

So tired of people asking why and when you point out the obvious everyone flies off the handle......

inb4 you're a racist / the ban hammer.

Upinsmoke

Fuck sake horrible

I get a flight here in 12 hours time and one of my first places to go would be the ramblas.

Dunno what to do now

Top Bottom