• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
spindashing said:
Actually: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417784&page=8

The Ghostface Killah troll is godly. I have to stay away from the posts that have his words because I start dying. :lol
Himo was the man, but no need to go crazy over some tits. I know homegirl brags about it, but so what. If I had a Lex Steel cock, I'll would write folk songs about it and bang chicks between the height of 5'0-5'3 for the sake of the art of destruction. Always wanted to see a women find god in front of my eyes.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
ShinobiFist said:
Himo was the man, but no need to go crazy over some tits. I know homegirl brags about it, but so what. If I had a Lex Steel cock, I'll would write folk songs about it and bang chicks between the height of 5'0-5'3 for the sake of the art of destruction. Always wanted to see a women find god in front of my eyes.
dang shinobi, you are into some small chicks

edit:
not that there is anything wrong with that.:lol

shadowcomplex said:
dang shinobi, you are into some small chicks

edit:
not that there is anything wrong with that.:lol
I like my females any height. But if my dick was as big as Lex "Fucking" Steel. I want to destroy something beautiful, I want her to see what Jesus saw when he got nailed to that cross, I want her eyes open like the red sea, with tears of joy rolling by her cheeks while she looks at me and calls me GOD!

Bishman

This is who I am jamming right now.

elighgreycrow.jpg

Eligh: Grey Crow

HillyDilly.com said:
Grey Crow is a masterpiece full of sonic wizardy that can easily be called one of the years best. Grey Crow is Eligh's newest solo project album since 2003's Poltergeist. The cohesiveness and quality is evident from beginning to end on Grey Crow. Eligh's production skills are at an all time high and it shines brighter than the sun on Grey Crow. Eligh refers to himself as the "Grey Crow" that references the growth and wisdom gained from his struggles with drug addiction over the past few years. (Eligh is now 5 years clean). The struggles have morphed Eligh into a better musician and with this new found direction in life the music has also been given an upgrade. Grey Grow is not just a good underground hip-hop album but an album that deserves a listen from all types of music listeners. There is no denying the massive amount of skills on the raps and production on Grey Crow. Featured on Grey Crow is Inspired Flight, Brother Ali, The Grouch, K-Flay, Zumbi of Zion I, Scarub, Aesop Rock + many more. Make sure you support Eligh as this album has no major label backing. This album will succeed on the backs of people like us who love good music.

Standout tracks on the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4LdlwBS1lM&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NItGh3QThG8&feature=player_embedded

@above
Great album I been told, it was mention by a few members how solid the album is. i haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. But seeing pop up this many times, I need to see what the big deal is.

kamspy

HiResDes said:
What Kamspy? I'm from Cincy too. In fact I live there/here now :lol

I still live here too. Well, outskirts now.

For you guys who like that "Mystic" sound that Bone use to have, check this:

knFBk.jpg

Classic material.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm late as fuck on this one but E.1999 is one of my favorite albums of all time. And on an amusing note, I left it in my father's tape player one day. The next day, he is sitting at the dinner table and starts singing something under his breath and I suddenly realize it's "budsmokers only budsmokers only" :lol
Mind you that my father at the time was a 50 something year old white man who wore a suit to work and up to this point was one of those people who said things like "stupid hippity hoppers ruining music with their yo yo yo crap."
He ended up listening to E.1999 every single day on the way to and from work for the next 4 months :lol

Kimosabae

Banned
siddx said:
I'm late as fuck on this one but E.1999 is one of my favorite albums of all time. And on an amusing note, I left it in my father's tape player one day. The next day, he is sitting at the dinner table and starts singing something under his breath and I suddenly realize it's "budsmokers only budsmokers only" :lol
Mind you that my father at the time was a 50 something year old white man who wore a suit to work and up to this point was one of those people who said things like "stupid hippity hoppers ruining music with their yo yo yo crap."
He ended up listening to E.1999 every single day on the way to and from work for the next 4 months :lol

My MOTHER liked Bone. SHE stole one of my E. 1999 CDs (like someone else mentioned, I owned a stupid amount of copies of this album).

My mother is a hardcore Christian. She couldn't understand them, but I found her listening to their albums often.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Game - The King.

Man, the fuck is up with Game man, seriously. Just STFU and rap about everything you rapped about on documentary and name drop artists. How hard was it then? Can't be that hard now. This is all I want, stop trying to pull stupid shit like jacking newer artist styles in some attempt to reinvent yourself.

goddamnit.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
enzo_gt said:
Game - The King.

Man, the fuck is up with Game man, seriously. Just STFU and rap about everything you rapped about on documentary and name drop artists. How hard was it then? Can't be that hard now. This is all I want, stop trying to pull stupid shit like jacking newer artist styles in some attempt to reinvent yourself.

goddamnit.
was wack, still wack

siddx

Game's Brake Lights mixtape was somewhat decent, at the very least it had a handful of good songs that I enjoyed. I guess i'm one of the only people that still hopes the guy succeeds and drops a great album.

Also I like the beat on The King, the hook sucks though.

Game should have just stayed in his lane. Not a fan, but it seemed like people dug LAX and that type of stuff. He can't write love songs or party songs because he can't write hooks.

Wonder how he's on Aftermath again and apparently can't get a Dre track as a single

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:
Game should have just stayed in his lane. Not a fan, but it seemed like people dug LAX and that type of stuff. He can't write love songs or party songs because he can't write hooks.

Wonder how he's on Aftermath again and apparently can't get a Dre track as a single
Wait, people liked LAX stuff more than DA and Documentary? That's a shock to me, that was when it started going downhill. Mistake #1: Putting Ne-Yo on a track expecting it to somehow get better now that he's a feature.

Two classics, a shitty album, and now his career is on the fringe, with no hope in sight. Even going back with Dre won't turn that around, since well, he'd rather spend his time promoting and sponsoring products.

Tokubetsu

enzo_gt said:
Wait, people liked LAX stuff more than DA and Documentary? That's a shock to me, that was when it started going downhill. Mistake #1: Putting Ne-Yo on a track expecting it to somehow get better now that he's a feature.

Two classics, a shitty album, and now his career is on the fringe, with no hope in sight. Even going back with Dre won't turn that around, since well, he'd rather spend his time promoting and sponsoring products.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYbGMFlKdc&hd=1

Kusagari

That Game track was one of the worst things I've heard in a long time. The beats the only thing that makes it not completely terrible.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The M.O.B said:
State of Emergency - Best song off LAX

Money - 2nd best song off LAX

Everything other song on the album= zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Angel, Letter To The King (okay the beat was dope as fuck), My Life and Dope Boys were good. Otherwise, fuck that album was disappointing. Big Dreams shit on most of those songs anyways.

Maybe I'll check out Brake Lights, but I'm still pissed at the Game for putting out POS songs for the last 2-3 years.

Okay DMX intro/outro was a good decision. Even though it sucked, I'd totally get DMX to intro my album anyday.

siddx

Dope Boys was a great track.

Regarding Break Lights. If it was an album it wouldn't be worth paying for. But I like maybe half the songs. "You are the blood" is worth the download alone though imo.

Tokubetsu

enzo_gt said:
Angel, Letter To The King (okay the beat was dope as fuck), My Life and Dope Boys were good. Otherwise, fuck that album was disappointing. Big Dreams shit on most of those songs anyways.

Maybe I'll check out Brake Lights, but I'm still pissed at the Game for putting out POS songs for the last 2-3 years.

Okay DMX intro/outro was a good decision. Even though it sucked, I'd totally get DMX to intro my album anyday.

Gotta have DMX blessin' the record man.

EDIT: Man, I miss good old Scott Storch piano beats. 2005 Scott Storch was killing it!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
Gotta have DMX blessin' the record man.

EDIT: Man, I miss good old Scott Storch piano beats. 2005 Scott Storch was killing it!
Immediately when I read that, this beat came to mind. That bit segwaying into the chorus is the shit.

JEKKI

Bishman said:
This is who I am jamming right now.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MX2GqGCwO4I/TNmggeBmC1I/AAAAAAAADIU/OBf8yo0MEo4/s400/elighgreycrow.jpg[IMG]

Eligh: Grey Crow

Standout tracks on the album:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4LdlwBS1lM&feature=player_embedded[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NItGh3QThG8&feature=player_embedded[/url][/QUOTE]ahhhhhh I still needa pick that up!!

I'll see if emusic gots it, otherwise I'll amazon it up tonite!!

Tokubetsu

JEKKI said:
ahhhhhh I still needa pick that up!!

I'll see if emusic gots it, otherwise I'll amazon it up tonite!!

It's really fucking good. He kinda reminds me of a younger/faster sounding Killa Priest. In the sense of talking about seemingly metaphysical and existential shit.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
enzo_gt said:
Game - The King.

goddamnit.

The Game is horrible.. The West Coast is dead.. long live the West..

:(

Blackace

siddx said:
Dope Boys was a great track.

Regarding Break Lights. If it was an album it wouldn't be worth paying for. But I like maybe half the songs. "You are the blood" is worth the download alone though imo.

Beat was ill.. but the hook wasn't even freestyle good..

Blackace

Also Chris Brown's new track "Look at me now Ft. Busta and Weezy" is maybe going to be the 2011 smooth banger..

Busta just kills the track.. just kills it.. Weezy should have just not been on it.

HiResDes

Blackace said:
Also Chris Brown's new track "Look at me now Ft. Busta and Weezy" is maybe going to be the 2011 smooth banger..

Busta just kills the track.. just kills it.. Weezy should have just not been on it.
The hook is god awful though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blackace said:
The Game is horrible.. The West Coast is dead.. long live the West..

:(
C'mon son, didn't even like the documentary? I felt that was prime West Coast is resurrected kind of stuff right there. Beats straight from Detox, and all.
Blackace said:

On another note, I think Busta is the most underrated MC of all time. Dude never gets the praise and respect he deserves, and he's got some pretty consistent verses too. Extinction Level Event and The Big Bang are fucking great.

IrishNinja

Kimosabae said:
Irish, not liking Bone is completely understandable. I, myself, have moved away from that type of delivery in general because I've grown a larger appreciation for traditional styles, so I only listen to Bone for nostalgia purposes now.

Not having an any appreciation for the group itself and East 1999, however, is just crude. It's similar to a self-proclaimed movie fan claiming to not have an appreciation for Citizen Kane (NOT making a 1:1 correlation here, obviously) or other movies of its impacting ilk.

i really dont mean to keep banging this drum just to be contrary or something, but yeah, i thought i made that clear: lotsa people like them, they were doing something different and apparently paved the way for a lot of others like-minded. this is why when discussing the greatest MCs/albums, i try to keep 2 lists: one that's closer to being objective (if you believe in such a thing) and a personal one. there's dudes who prolly rightfully belong on a top 10 overall (legacy or otherwise) but dont show up on my personal top 20, and vice-versa. as an example, Q-Tip and Meth prolly dont make it on an overall top 5, but they do for me, cause i love their shit. MF DOOM might make my top 10 but not for many others, cause his style can come off gimmicky after hearing it long enough too...likewise, lotta people would put say Eminem on a top 10 and i can get into some of his shit when im in the mood but he's not on my personal list.

what im saying is yeah, i can see Bone was important to hip-hop (even if i do think, yeah, ranking them way too high ties into nostalgia, personally), but i can only really speak accurately on my own list, and using your comparison? film classes can talk all day about how important Citizen Kane was for cinematography, storytelling etc but if you found that shit boring, you shouldn't have to pretend it moved you cause its on a lotta lists. likewise with your solid (and important) point @ creativity and respecting people who take something that's there and do something else with it (fuck, that's what a lot of jazz is about), i think critical analysis and honesty are more important than trying to respect things you dont feel. the best ill do is quietly give a nod & move on.

i'm all over the place tonight, i hope you get what im sayin here.

soul creator said:
apparently crazy Arizona dude made a bunch of references to how less than 5% of people are such and such

I blame Wu-Tang

ShinobiFist said:

:lol :lol buncha clowns today.
@ the game: yeah, i like the dude when he's trying. i actually thought that beat was alright, dont know what happened to the song though.

kamspy said:
Common could really corner the Sleep Aid market if he got a license.

aw, cmon man - what album you listening to? classic Com was great, ive off and on loved his shit since he got with Ye - Be was his best album in years, by me. been hit or miss since then...(YeezyReupholsteredMahPussy.jpg here)

alright, back to this Oddisee, not bad so far.

Kimosabae

Banned
irish, we're in the same boat, paddling in different directions.

and don't mistake my mentioning of kane for an appeal to tradition :)

I was just trying to make a point

IrishNinja

haha, fair enough, kimo. :D conway stays out of this, and we both agree to not acknowledge tokus until he's ready to call BASED GOD the BASED G.O.A.T.

my man spindashing know's what's up. he just needs to preach the gospel to siddx. SWAG SWAG

Tokubetsu

IrishNinja said:
haha, fair enough, kimo. :D conway stays out of this, and we both agree to not acknowledge tokus until he's ready to call BASED GOD the BASED G.O.A.T.

my man spindashing know's what's up. he just needs to preach the gospel to siddx. SWAG SWAG

I'm cooking RIGHT NOW motherfucker. #BASED

HiResDes

I'm quite curious about School Q's album Setbacks, but not enough to spend money on it right now...Dude definitely needs to release something free first in this day and age...He's got no rep

siddx

I can't even process whether the jay/kanye song is good or not because I want to punch kanye and jay in the vaginas for uttering the words "I'm about to go ham."

HiResDes

RPS37 said:
WTF is The Illz up to now? I feel like I haven't heard anything new from him in like a year.

He releases one album/mixtape a year, and I feel like that's a good ratio for him...It helps out with quality control.

siddx

HiResDes said:
He releases one album/mixtape a year, and I feel like that's a good ratio for him...It helps out with quality control.

Except his last release, while good, didn't grab me in the same way. I'd love to see a full length album from him.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Trunk Musik was pretty good. A couple songs I couldn't listen to, but the ones I did went hard. Very short mixtape. Any more yelawolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom