• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Shaneus

So, from the moment I hit level 30, they said that the X1 was in the dealership. Silly me thought that I could actually BUY it at level 30, so I grinded up the 20 mil required. Get there, I need to be level 40 :lol:

Anyone think of a great car to buy for my 20 mil (or whatever) so I can vent some of my frustration out on the racetrack? I'm sick of not having any kind of X1 :(

TTG

G Rom said:
Thanks to the Formula GT championship and the Seasonal Event #4, I got up to level 30 finally so for the past two days I have been trying to get bronze on the Nurbürgring X1 event. I managed this ten minutes ago :

I don't know how much easier it is with the wheel(my impression is it's a lot easier) but I'm playing with the pad and it's tough. Monza is very easy by comparison. Best I've gotten is a couple of high 1.07 lap times and my absolute best effort wasn't even a full lap but a 0.51.2 or something on the marker before I flew the fuck off the road. Best over all time is still in 2.16s somewhere, very annoying.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shaneus said:
So, from the moment I hit level 30, they said that the X1 was in the dealership. Silly me thought that I could actually BUY it at level 30, so I grinded up the 20 mil required. Get there, I need to be level 40 :lol:

Anyone think of a great car to buy for my 20 mil (or whatever) so I can vent some of my frustration out on the racetrack? I'm sick of not having any kind of X1 :(

You can get a free X1 grinding B-spec to level 35. Or you can get someone like me to dupe you one. It really isn't special except it ZOOM ZOOM ZOOMS. :/

(Though right now I'm buying/gifting/getting my money back on the online dealership standard super GT cars. 700,000 credits per car, CHRIST.)

Opiate

So we're going to try something new: I'm going to put a community game up as the "community spotlight" game approximately once every week. The goal is to give the games in the community forum more exposure (since the gaming forum is more populous) while also giving the community forum more exposure (so that people can see these threads, recognize where these threads are going to and coming from, and follow them to the community forum if they see like what they see).

I chose GT5 as the first week's game. So for the next week (or so), the thread will be in the gaming forum as the community spotlight game. Enjoy!

UFRA

Opiate said:
So we're going to try something new: I'm going to put a community game up as the "community spotlight" game approximately once every week. The goal is to give the games in the community spotlight more exposure (since the gaming forum is more populous) while also giving the community forum more exposure (so that people can see these threads, recognize where they are going, and follow them to the community forum if they see what they like).

I chose GT5 as the first week's game. So for the next week (or so), the thread will be in the gaming forum as the community spotlight game. Enjoy!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Now people, click this thread and participate in the NeoGAF'er in a reasonably priced car!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413274

TheSeks

Mush said:
/clears throat

HMM HMM

AND THE SUPER GT THREAD THAT NO ONE BUT MUSH CARES ABOUT. *WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE*

<3 Mush

Seriously, we need more people in the Reasonably Priced Car. BTW, UFRA did you set a time so I'm not the fastest and then the slowest on the board yet? I was going to attempt mine tomorrow.

I also don't think this spotlight thing is going to work, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Community is always going to be dead, however. Just like it was when it was "online."

UFRA

Mush said:
/clears throat

HMM HMM

But Mush!! We are in a season and full, we don't need newbies and lurkers bothering us. We're in deep business right now!!

OK ok...

Also, visit this thread for the Super GT league and all that jazz:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414255

Seks, I haven't set a time yet, but how about we do ours at the same time together tomorrow? *bro fist*

I may or may not *looks at Mush* be helping the Super GT league with hosting the race, so at minimum it would have to be in the late afternoon or early evening. ;)

DonMigs85

I'm starting to get a little bored with the game. Can any kind soul at least lend me an X1? I just wanna experience driving it at least once before I die.

UFRA

DonMigs85 said:
I'm starting to get a little bored with the game. Can any kind soul at least lend me an X1? I just wanna experience driving it at least once before I die.

Participating in one of GAF's fine community establishments can surely help re-ignite that fiery passion.

I can't tell you how much of a rush it was to do that first Super GT race. Soooooooooo much fun. Had a smile on my face many times throughout it as crazy stuff happened.

DonMigs85

UFRA said:
Participating in one of GAF's fine community establishments can surely help re-ignite that fiery passion.

I can't tell you how much of a rush it was to do that first Super GT race. Soooooooooo much fun. Had a smile on my face many times throughout it as crazy stuff happened.
The grinding required to hit some of those high-level events is getting me down, but one day I'll find the motivation I need!

Mush

DonMigs85 said:
The grinding required to hit some of those high-level events is getting me down, but one day I'll find the motivation I need!
You don't need to do any grinding to enter the Super GT League!

OK, I think we're done plugging for the day. Same time tomorrow guys?

I agree, we need to get rid of the community tab. Games with activity deserve to be in the gaming section and if they can't be kept up than there is no reason for the thread to exist anymore.

Anyway I'll enjoy this while its here, and I will definitely find time to do the reasonably priced car event.

Opiate

Lion Heart said:
I agree, we need to get rid of the community tab. Games with activity deserve to be in the gaming section and if they can't be kept up than there is no reason for the thread to exist anymore.

Anyway I'll enjoy this while its here, and I will definitely find time to do the reasonably priced car event.

I don't think you understand why the community tab exists. It is not because games fall off the first page: it's because they don't. If there was no community tab, then half the first page would be WoW + TF2 + SCII + GT5 + Halo:Reach etc. essentially forever. If you're looking for recent gaming news or trends, wading through a front page that is half filled with games that came out 6 months / 1 year / 5 years ago isn't helpful.

Community pages can work very well, but GAF is, in my opinion, a single player focused forum. At least when compared to the general public. That makes it harder to advertise, but not impossible, and it isn't as if there is no interest in multiplayer, as this thread readily attests to.

TheSeks

Opiate said:
I don't think you understand why the community tab exists. It is not because games fall off the first page: it's because they don't. If there was no community tab, then half the first page would be WoW + TF2 + SCII + GT5 + Halo:Reach etc. essentially forever. If you're looking for recent gaming news or trends, wading through a front page that is half filled with games that came out 6 months / 1 year / 5 years ago isn't helpful.

Community pages can work very well, but GAF is, in my opinion, a single player focused forum. At least when compared to the general public. That makes it harder to advertise, but not impossible, and it isn't as if there is no interest in multiplayer, as this thread readily attests to.

No offense dude (watch me get banned for questioning the mods) but have you read this thread? Outside of organizing races online (which is about 1-5% of the discussion) the actual GT5 gameplay discussion is based on SINGLE-PLAYER events/races.

It's mind boggling why the game is in community when most of the talk is about the single player races and events. If it was Halo/CoD/Bad Company where the talk is about multiplayer matches and the gameplay in multiplayer matches, yeah, you'd have a point.

Really, if you want news threads for news: News Forum section.
Game discussion/game threads wither singleplayer or multiplayer: Gaming.
Off-topic: OT section.

Renaming online to community hasn't really revived that section. Far from it, as soon as GT moved over there, it's discussion dropped like a rock. No one goes over there to check for threads. Trying to bring threads like this to light may/may not work. But I'd lean toward "may not" given the past... how many years the online section was there and no one really used it to organize matches outside of the yearly sports title seasonal stuff?

Opiate

TheSeks said:
No offense dude (watch me get banned for questioning the mods) but have you read this thread? Outside of organizing races online (which is about 1-5% of the discussion) the actual GT5 gameplay discussion is based on SINGLE-PLAYER events/races.

It's mind boggling why the game is in community when most of the talk is about the single player races and events. If it was Halo/CoD/Bad Company where the talk is about multiplayer matches and the gameplay in multiplayer matches, yeah, you'd have a point.

We are aware of this. I did not imply that this thread is exclusively a matter of multiplayer concerns.

Even if this thread were 100% single player focused (which it isn't, obviously), that still wouldn't solve our problem. Our problem is not multiplayer: our problem, again, is that some games have threads that remain on the front page for months and months. Typically that means multiplayer gaming, but it does not to.

At some point, a thread largely becomes a place for a select group of posters (perhaps a dozen, perhaps a few dozen) to congregate. Very few new posters enter in, as they would have bought the game long ago if they were interested.

TheSeks

Opiate said:
We are aware of this. I did not imply that this thread is exclusively a matter of multiplayer concerns.

Even if this thread were 100% single player focused (which it isn't, obviously), that still wouldn't solve our problem. Our problem is not multiplayer: our problem, again, is that some games have threads that remain on the front page for months and months. Typically that means multiplayer gaming, but it does not to.

Okay. I edited my post. I think the problem is naming "online/community" hasn't brought attention to that section. Moving threads over just kills the discussion as no one goes over there to check that section.

|OT|'s are in Gaming, for better or worse. And that's where they have always been.

I still say:

Gaming news threads -> News section of the forums.
Gaming threads (OT discussions of online/etc.) -> Gaming
Off topic/outside of gaming news/discussion -> Off-topic.

But I'm not Evilore or you or the moderation team, so I'm not sure if my way would magically revitalize and get "threads that are busy/have active discussion" off of the page of whatever you want to do. *shrug* But moving threads willy-nilly doesn't really solve it.

Anyway, to bring discussion back to GT5:

@UFRA: I'm willing to set a time tomorrow provided Metal is on the NRPC tag with you in the afternoon before 7-8PM as I'm supposed to play with someone from the Lost Planet 2 thread on Hard in LP2. And that's provided I'm not busy with 2/3/4x co-op items in LBP1 before LBP2 hits this Tuesday. lol, busy busy busy gaming day for me tomorrow. But prod me if Metal is on and I'll do my laps with you. I honestly haven't even set foot in your chosen car so I'm going in blind with the controller handicap. heh.

Opiate

TheSeks said:
Okay. I edited my post. I think the problem is naming "online/community" hasn't brought attention to that section. Moving threads over just kills the discussion as no one goes over there to check that section.

|OT|'s are in Gaming, for better or worse. And that's where they have always been.

I still say:

News threads -> News section of the forums.
Gaming threads (OT discussions of online/etc.) -> Gaming
Off topic/outside of gaming news/discussion -> Off-topic.

But I'm not Evilore or you or the moderation team, so I'm not sure if my way would magically revitalize and get "threads that are busy/have active discussion" off of the page of whatever you want to do. *shrug* But moving threads willy-nilly doesn't really solve it.

Obviously bringing all these threads back over to the gaming side would give all of them more exposure. Again, that is precisely the problem: we do not want the first page to be the official topics for WoW + TF2 + GT + Halo etc. forever. People looking for information on practically anything else have to wade through these topics to find stuff that's new. It is not an exaggeration to say that this forum would be half OTs that only a select few are interested in.

Everyone seems to think it is their favorite game that should be the exception. Some claim that their game is more single player focused (which is what GT fans have argued) or that it is constantly updated and has too much "news" content (as TF2 fans have argued) or that their game is the world's most popular (As WoW fans have argued). If everyone thinks they are special and unique, then no one is special and unique.

This the last post I will offer on the topic. This is not a debate, and I'm trying to do everyone a favor by offering a compromise: a way to get more exposure for these OTs while also preventing them from overwhelming the front page of the forum. I'm hoping it will give these threads more exposure and give the community forum more exposure. We'll see how it works: if it doesn't work, I will adapt.

Now, please, let's all enjoy the glory of GT5, and let's share that glory with the unwashed masses.

Shaneus

TheSeks said:
You can get a free X1 grinding B-spec to level 35. Or you can get someone like me to dupe you one. It really isn't special except it ZOOM ZOOM ZOOMS. :/

(Though right now I'm buying/gifting/getting my money back on the online dealership standard super GT cars. 700,000 credits per car, CHRIST.)
I was more wanting to get it to grind *through* the B-spec stuff. I've had the most incredible luck today (well, fortune I guess) in that I've managed to dupe a Ticket 1000 AND save my game with a full 20mil to memory stick, meaning I can buy something, gift it along to my secondary and restore back so I have 20mil PLUS that car... so if there was something you fancied (anything I can buy, really!) and you wanted to work something out, let me know. I won't be able to gift anything today though, both my accounts are gifted out :/

I do feel a little guilty for exploiting the exploits so much in this, but when the backend is just so un-fun, I feel like pushing everything as far as I can to wring some enjoyment out of the rest of it.

I know it's been discussed but it never seemed like people were talking about the online portion of the game at all. Was there an additional reason?

Opiate

BobTheFork said:
I know it's been discussed but it never seemed like people were talking about the online portion of the game at all. Was there an additional reason?

*sigh,* yes. As I stated, the problem is not that a popular game is a multiplayer game per se, it is that the game is on the front page for months and months. Most games that fit this description are indeed multiplayer, but they don't have to be. That is also why we changed the name of the Online forum to the Community forum: the name change indicates that after some time has passed, OTs are rarely about news or about new people trying out the game: it is about a select, core group of players who still enjoy the game and want a place to talk about it (sometimes that core is a dozen, sometimes several dozen, it doesn't matter).

We aren't trying to stop you from enjoying your community, but we also don't want your community (And other games' communities) to overwhelm the gaming forum front page with a dozen OTs that are literally months or even years old. Now please, please stop. I was trying to be charitable here -- this was an opportunity to highlight the game (and the forum), not to question the divine, indisputable, absolute wisdom of the moderator.

TheSeks

BobTheFork said:

Generally because the "garage" of the game is either "open" everyone has access to the same cars but not tweaked, or "closed/restricted" and if you don't have that car in your favorites, you can't use it.

GT5's online mode would be brilliant if it had some thought put into it outside of "using server browsers" (good idea) but don't let players use the cars they own (bad idea) unless favorites (double bad idea).

Edit-Edit: Which reminds me, if you don't own the car/or have it as a favorite, you can't race. "Karts only" online would be a blast and popular provided PD gave you an online "loaner" kart/car for the restricted races and you don't have one. But they don't do that, so basically online goes:

"Do you have the car favorited?"
"No."
"Okay, (steps to do that). I'll wait here and kick randoms out (if public game) so you can get in and have a spot once you're back."
"Okay."
(waits five minutes before you can do your race).

Oh, and Favorites are restricted to a small number like 8-16, so you can't fully use your garage. Stupid.

And not to kick the cat, but:

People looking for information on practically anything else have to wade through these topics to find stuff that's new.

That's why a "news" section for the news threads would work, I feel. Gaming would be |OT|'s and LTTP's and community. The way it is, no one goes to online/community once a thread is moved. It just dies. :/ Maybe doing it your way will work, I hope so. But having an "|OT| goes here" policy instead of "|OT|'s can stay in gaming... for a few weeks, until they're on the front page 24/7 then they go to community/blah, blah, blah" policy. Which doesn't benefit anyone, IMO.

I was more wanting to get it to grind *through* the B-spec stuff. I've had the most incredible luck today (well, fortune I guess) in that I've managed to dupe a Ticket 1000 AND save my game with a full 20mil to memory stick, meaning I can buy something, gift it along to my secondary and restore back so I have 20mil PLUS that car... so if there was something you fancied (anything I can buy, really!) and you wanted to work something out, let me know. I won't be able to gift anything today though, both my accounts are gifted out :/

I do feel a little guilty for exploiting the exploits so much in this, but when the backend is just so un-fun, I feel like pushing everything as far as I can to wring some enjoyment out of the rest of it.

I wouldn't mind if you bought me the green Furai, would save me the trouble but I already have a Furai (red) that's fully tuned. :/ The green is so sexy though.

As for cars I want, nothing really catches my eye. I'm just buying the online dealership stuff and passing them to a second account and restoring my cash because like you said: the grind isn't really that fun. Once I get to 20million I'm just going to hog wild and buy any car I want once a day and gift/regift it and get my 20million back. No reason to grind the races when they give so little exp/money to where it takes a day or a few hours to get the 700,000 credits for the online dealership cars. :|

Anyway, if you want an X1 I'll give you one later today provided you PM me your PSN id and accept my friend request so GT5 updates the list before I do it.

Edit: Ohhhhh, thinking about it, if you have 20million and you're just going to back up the 20million, buy me a 20million car. It could be the Jay Leno Tank Car (seen it in the used dealership a week after the game launched, didn't have the cash) or something like that. I honestly don't need anything too important in the A/B-spec races (at least I don't think so) as I generally have them all. So a 20million car would save me the trouble of finding one when I get my 20million. (Or... just buy me the Furai green. Either/or)

Hmm... okay:

Jay Leno Tank Car
X1 Prototype (the stealth-version of it. I have the S. Vettle/marketplace one?), but I don't think you have this as IIRC it's won from the Vettle event.

Either of those two are the "unicorn"s for me right now. But anything really works as it's no problem for me to dupe you an X1, man.

Mush

TheSeks said:
Oh, and Favorites are restricted to a small number like 8-16, so you can't fully use your garage. Stupid.
This is not true. You are allowed up to 100 cars in your Favourites list.

I kind of like having these thread in community. It's much easier to find and I don't have to go through 5 pages to find the thread.

I'm going to bullshit, but community doesn't have to be just online. It could be a spot perfect for OT threads to find and discuss the game with the GAF community without having to look for the thread.

Gowans

Crakatak187 said:
I kind of like having these thread in community. It's much easier to find and I don't have to go through 5 pages to find the thread.

I'm going to bullshit, but community doesn't have to be just online. It could be a spot perfect for OT threads to find and discuss the game with the GAF community without having to look for the thread.
Agreed, personally I think all OT's that are specific game related should go in Community so people are trained to go there.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think they have the right idea, they just need to find away to draw more attention to the Community section and make it relevant. I still keep forgetting it exists, as of now it just seems like a place where a few OT's were tucked away to keep them from clogging up the gaming side.

ANYWAYS...

Dead Man

For what it's worth, I think it's fine having the large gaming threads in the Community forum, it is just that for a long time that was the online forum instead, so people still don't think to look in the community forum. Hopefully this will change. There is no denying this thread has a community about it, as much as it is about a single game.

Maybe a change to the Gaming forum name to Gaming News would help, I don't know.

Gowans007 said:
Agreed, personally I think all OT's that are specific game related should go in Community so people are trained to go there.
Or this, this is a good idea too. Get Community out of the ghetto! Gentrify it!

Gowans007 said:
Definitely. There are so many OT thread that died because it was overwhelmed by other OT threads or news, then there are old OT thread that is constantly bumped up from time to time.

Community thread to me is perfect place for smaller OT and OT for big games that are at least 3-6 month old.

Dead Man

Or maybe put the community forum in with the discussion forums on the forum front page? It's over with the FAQs at the moment.

Maybe something like this? But with Gaming being Gaming News, and all the OT's in Community? My p'shoping skills are not up to that.

InkwQ.jpg

ashk

So yesterday I decided to give multiplayer another shot. Last time I tried I just went in head first and had big problems finding a decent game - the only one I could manage was a NASCAR race, but surprisingly it turned out be quite fun. The having requirement of having to favourite your car to drive it online is utter bullshit and seems like a big obstacle in finding a random server and driving the car you want.

This time I went in prepared and knowing what to expect. I decided on trying to look for a SuperGT, DTM or LMP/Group C race, so I favourited the cars I enjoy most in those categories. But then I hit a problem: how the hell am I going to find races in those categories? I had to browse through all the running servers reading their descriptions to find out where I want to race. The filtering system available is obviously lacking: you can't filter servers by restrictions, only by region, track and SRF? If I like racing NASCAR (or any other particular category) regardless of track I need to browse through ALL the servers? This needs to be fixed.

So about 10 minutes later I find a SuperGT/DTM server running Laguna Seca. Excellent. I join and there are two other people, so I run laps for about 20 mins until there are 5+ people. So we started racing and after a few races the server gets full, the host changes the track every two races and all is well. The racing is mostly clean - a few kamikazes here and there, but the guys at the sharp end of the leaderboard are fair. So I end up racing my Xanavi Nismo GT-R for two hours on three different tracks in 5 races and even manage to win a couple. The experience and money rewards were negligible of course, but I had the best GT5 experience so far :)

tl;dr: tried multiplayer, was meh, tried it again yesterday while being prepared, multiplayer semi-redeemed

I think there should be a tutorial somewhere in the FAQ teaching people how to Subscribe to threads. That way they can follow it on the UserCP no matter on what forum it is.

brentech

That's why I'm seriously hating these 24 hour events. The hold up on both the game and the PS3 in general is pretty infuriating.

With regards to the tailing physics (I guess?), I know pre patch you would get "sucked in" to the car ahead, but was this realistic and just unforgiving or was it actually some glitch where you would get stuck on the A.I.s back? I ask because post patch, it feels like the opposite is occuring, where if you are semi late on the brake, you can still avoid hitting the back of someone because it creates a magnetic push or something. I definitely prefer the latter because it makes racing more enjoyable and also compensates for lag online but I'd like to know if they are compromising physics for accessibility (again, no problem with that).

WillyFive

Dead Man said:
Or maybe put the community forum in with the discussion forums on the forum front page? It's over with the FAQs at the moment.

Maybe something like this? But with Gaming being Gaming News, and all the OT's in Community? My p'shoping skills are not up to that.

InkwQ.jpg

We already have the tabs on every page that allow us to switch from Gaming to OT to Community much quicker than having to go back to the front page.

I would recommend instead of it being GAMING - OT - COMMUNITY, it should be GAMING - COMMUNITY - OT.

That way it 'lives closer' to Gaming, instead of seeming like a farther away place than the OT.

Dead Man

Willy105 said:
We already have the tabs on every page that allow us to switch from Gaming to OT to Community much quicker than having to go back to the front page.

I would recommend instead of it being GAMING - OT - COMMUNITY, it should be GAMING - COMMUNITY - OT.

That way it 'lives closer' to Gaming, instead of seeming like a farther away place than the OT.
That is true re: the tabs, and your order is better.

Lion Heart said:
or was it actually some glitch where you would get stuck on the A.I.s back
Glitch. Even at low speeds you would sort of magnetise to the back of the car in front of you once you touched it. It made close races horrible, especially some of the licenses.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is there any way to get the "SLS AMG 10 "especially tuned by the Gran Turismo team"? The one you win on the ring challenge is not the tuned car, doesn't even have the wing.
Please tell me it's possible to replicate thar car, it handles like a dream, one fo mi favs in the entire game!

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Is there any way to get the "SLS AMG 10 "especially tuned by the Gran Turismo team"? The one you win on the ring challenge is not the tuned car, doesn't even have the wing.
Please tell me it's possible to replicate thar car, it handles like a dream, one fo mi favs in the entire game!
I think that's the one I got with the CE. I'll check later, currently on lap 32 of 90 on Laguna Seca.... :-/

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Angst said:
I think that's the one I got with the CE. I'll check later, currently on lap 32 of 90 on Laguna Seca.... :-/

Holy shit.
Is guess there's no way to gift it or sell it obviously, but can you check if the tuned settings are accessible?
Is is possible to mount the same wing on the vanilla SLS amg 10?
If someone has a tune to make vanilla sls amg as close as possible please do share it!

kamspy

Man I remember doing endurance races on GT2. One race I must have put 3 hours into and spun out on the second to last lap. I think I broke the controller IIRC.

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Holy shit.
Is guess there's no way to gift it or sell it obviously, but can you check if the tuned settings are aceessible?
Is is possible to mount the same wing on the vanilla SLS amg 10?
I'm almost done. On lap 82 now and needed a short break before I continue with the final few laps. :)

Top Bottom