• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MVC3: Sentinel and Hsien-Ko REVEALED [Up2: Footage Leaking, Meme Debates Ensue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pai Pai Master said:
To be honest, Lupinko's list leaked first showed up so long ago (who knows how long it was finalized before he was able to relay it to us) that it really wouldn't be THAT shocking if they had at least a couple more characters ready in time for release.
We don't believe lupinko because the original list has been put out months ago. The fact that he kept dropping bombs pre-reveals every single time, i.e. details about Dark Phoenix, and they were consistently right.

That said, the legitimacy of "more new characters!" is kind of iffy considering we know they could just mean Galactus. The other reason it's iffy is if lupinko's source only had access to the final build or character details. Say they were developing another 2 DLC characters or outsourced them? Would lupinko's source know even if he was internally working in Capcom? We simply don't know, but I'm willing to side with lupinko's consistency over hope.

Beelzeboss said:
Frank West unlocking if you had a Dead Rising save would be awesome
No. Fuck no.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Speaking of DLC, it would be really cool if they would go the way like Ubisoft went with AC2 and Brotherhood. Every Day 1 copy has a code in it to unlock Jill and Shuma for free.

It's just a dream ...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sn4ke_911 said:
Speaking of DLC, it would be really cool if they would go the way like Ubisoft went with AC2 and Brotherhood. Every Day 1 copy has a code in it to unlock Jill and Shuma for free.

It's just a dream ...
You can't have a Day 1 copy. You can have Day 1 DLC which everyone can download the first day they get it, or even if they don't have it the first day, unless it's in a special store accessible only through the game. This is particularly unfair to people who's shipping gets messed up and stuff, which happens often, so I'm not with the "Day 1 freebies" program. Maybe first week freebies, but still.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jinfash said:
And Cosmic Doom.

There, two characters.
+ Cosmic Wesker, Dormammu and Akuma.

Honestly I'd rather they keep the Cosmic versions secret until the game comes out. Post-release craziness is made even better when you get the game, play it, love it and go online to see so much other insanely cool things to discover in your own game. Happens with every Halo game, and I love that shit.

Acid08

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:

It's just a dream ...
That would be cool but there's still a month wait, even for CE purchasers, to be able to download Jill and Shuma.

Sn4ke_911

enzo_gt said:
You can't have a Day 1 copy. You can have Day 1 DLC which everyone can download the first day they get it, or even if they don't have it the first day, unless it's in a special store accessible only through the game. This is particularly unfair to people who's shipping gets messed up and stuff, which happens often, so I'm not with the "Day 1 freebies" program. Maybe first week freebies, but still.
With Day 1 copy i meant the first wave of copys.

Neiteio

So, is there a list of all the stages and where they're from (i.e. there appears to be a BOW factory from Resident Evil?). Also, what characters are confirmed as unlockable, i.e., I'll have to do something in-game to play as them? And is it hard to unlock characters? I want them all!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Neiteio said:
So, is there a list of all the stages and where they're from (i.e. there appears to be a BOW factory from Resident Evil?). Also, what characters are confirmed as unlockable, i.e., I'll have to do something in-game to play as them? And is it hard to unlock characters? I want them all!

Unlocks:

Sentinel
Hsien-Ko
Akuma
Taskmaster

You get battle points by playing any mode, such as arcade, versus, and online. BP unlocks those four characters. Taskmaster is the most (??) expensive at 8000 BP. Supposedly one play through of arcade gets you thousands of BP so it shouldn't take long to unlock all four.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Jinfash said:
And Cosmic Doom.

There, two characters.
The Cosmic characters have different properties in their moves? Or theyre just a palette swap.

Dali

Fersis said:
I guess so.
Shuma Gorath is DLC because Marvel didnt want him in the retail roster, the Dead Rising guy was in the game up late development.
So yeah, i guess they have several unfinished characters in development.

If Capcom was smart enough (And i believe so) Super MvC3 will have some of TvC characters.
MvC2 had sprites from several games... These models are the new sprites!!
The level of detail in TvC models is a noticeable step down from MvC3 models. That didn't stop Capcom in the past with their inclusion of sprites of varying quality, but I'd like to think they've learned something in the last ten years five years (lol, forgot about Capcom fighting evolution) and have a little more pride in their product now.

Sn4ke_911

Neiteio said:

nvm.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
enzo_gt said:
+ Cosmic Wesker, Dormammu and Akuma.
Yeah, forgot we had those as well :\

Fersis said:
The Cosmic characters have different properties in their moves? Or theyre just a palette swap.
Nobody knows yet, but I'm assuming they'll have a couple of extra moves for that extra cheapness everyone adores.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I highly doubt the shuma and jill data is on disc, that dlc wont be out til a month after the game is out btw... it's not day one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fersis said:
Lupinko tweeted a while back that they are "boss versions" but they aren't too ridiculously overpowered. This probably just means they have altered stats instead of completely new moves. That and the added difficulty of fighting 2 cosmics at once would have been insane if you had to face 2 COSMIC Seths at once.

Kai Dracon

Dali said:
The level of detail in TvC models is a noticeable step down from MvC3 models. That didn't stop Capcom in the past with their inclusion of sprites of varying quality, but I'd like to think they've learned something in the last ten years five years (lol, forgot about Capcom fighting evolution) and have a little more pride in their product now.

Much like Ryu, Morrigan, etc in MvC3 the animation data and a whole lot of work put into development for TvC characters is already done. Importing guys from TvC basically involves improving their model; interesting point, we don't know how good the original models are for the TvC characters before they are edited and have geometry removed to fit the Wii engine.

It's a thought.

Kai Dracon

QisTopTier said:
I highly doubt the shuma and jill data is on disc, that dlc wont be out til a month after the game is out btw... it's not day one.

Honestly, I think that's the real reason why the characters are out a month later - they're still being worked on as we speak. With all the talk about balance testing in MvC3, makes sense they are being tweaked and adjusted right up until the last moment.

Neiteio

Kaijima said:
Unlocks:

Sentinel
Hsien-Ko
Akuma
Taskmaster

You get battle points by playing any mode, such as arcade, versus, and online. BP unlocks those four characters. Taskmaster is the most (??) expensive at 8000 BP. Supposedly one play through of arcade gets you thousands of BP so it shouldn't take long to unlock all four.
Thanks. :) And does anyone know how many stages there, and what the stages are, and what sources the stages are from (i.e. Umbrella lab from Resident Evil)?

Also, what button triggers assists? I'm thinking of how the SF controls used every button on the PS3 controller and I'm trying to think what's left to summon other characters to help you.

Even though I'm pretty sure there will be more DLC characters, I'm waiting to see what they say after Galactus is revealed in regards to these "new characters".

Kai Dracon

Neiteio said:
Thanks. :) And does anyone know how many stages there, and what the stages are, and what sources the stages are from (i.e. Umbrella lab from Resident Evil)?

Also, what button triggers assists? I'm thinking of how the SF controls used every button on the PS3 controller and I'm trying to think what's left to summon other characters to help you.

It is a six button game:

Weak, Strong, Heavy attack
Exchange attack
Assist 1, 2

WSH are like the three strengths in TVC. Exchange is a combination partner button (from TVC) and attack button - it performs launcher attacks, and other attacks in the air, plus is used for various tag-related moves.

If you're mapping to a standard PS3 pad, it seems a logical arrangement would be what I call "TVC style" for the Wii Classic controller:

Weak, Strong, Heavy attack in a delta shape using the top three face buttons, with Exchange on "X" or the bottom button of the diamond.

Then assist 1 and 2 can go on the top shoulder buttons, L1 and R2

Since you aren't using the assists like regular attack buttons in fast combo strings, having 'em on shoulder buttons shouldn't be a big deal.

Ironically MVC3 works better on a standard gamepad than SFIV, I'd theorize. In terms of button layout at least.

My gut feeling: 2 more dlc characters this year after Shuma/Jill. Will be Frank West (no way they got that far with him, to the point of including him in expensive CG to cut him) and then the Marvel character is harder to pinpoint (Elektra's name keeps popping up here and there, Gambit/Venom/Psylocke are the fan favorites). Lots of characters for Super MVC3 next year. I don't feel too bad if they don't makes TONS of dlc characters because A: this game looks way more balanced than MVC2 and B: the characters in MVC3 are way more varied/interesting.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Neiteio said:

So far is seem to be:

Marvel
Asgard
SHIELD Helicarrier
Hand Hideout
NYC Parade

Capcom
Umbrella Labs
World of Ghosts 'n Goblins
Kattelox Island
Metro City

Possible stages that might be part of the rotation are the Save the World stage where you fight the Cosmic villains and the Danger Room training stage from MvC 2.

Kaijima said:
Honestly, I think that's the real reason why the characters are out a month later - they're still being worked on as we speak. With all the talk about balance testing in MvC3, makes sense they are being tweaked and adjusted right up until the last moment.

Doubt it. I would think to balance a fighting game, you would need to do the entire cast at once. Adjusting a couple of characters to an already made "standard" wouldn't work nearly as well.

Dali

Kaijima said:
Much like Ryu, Morrigan, etc in MvC3 the animation data and a whole lot of work put into development for TvC characters is already done.
I guess the design basics are already there; the way they handle, their moves and other properties they'd have to invent for a completely new character, so they'd save time with that. Do you have confirmation that they imported Ryu and Morrigan's animation data from TvC?

Importing guys from TvC basically involves improving their model
You say that as though there is some "increase LoD button". TvC characters had low detail hands and textures for their mouths and eyes... they are just low-poly in general when compared to MvC3 models. It would require work, possibly a great deal. Granted (probably) less than creating from scratch, but who knows.

interesting point, we don't know how good the original models are for the TvC characters before they are edited and have geometry removed to fit the Wii engine.

It's a thought.
You've got a point here. I've seen TvC in arcades. I didn't play it, but it did look better than the Wii version. I wasn't too interested so I didn't pay much attention, but that much did stand out. Maybe it was just the screen though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DryEyeRelief said:
Doubt it. I would think to balance a fighting game, you would need to do the entire cast at once. Adjusting a couple of characters to an already made "standard" wouldn't work nearly as well.

Blazblue?

Acid08

Banned
HK-47 said:
So far is seem to be:

Marvel
Asgard
SHIELD Helicarrier
Hand Hideout
NYC Parade

Capcom
Umbrella Labs
Kattelox Island
Metro City

Possible stages that might be part of the rotation are the Save the World stage where you fight the Cosmic villains and the Danger Room training stage from MvC 2.
The clown face from 2 NEEDS to make an appearance.

Neiteio

Kaijima said:
It is a six button game:

Weak, Strong, Heavy attack
Exchange attack
Assist 1, 2

WSH are like the three strengths in TVC. Exchange is a combination partner button (from TVC) and attack button - it performs launcher attacks, and other attacks in the air, plus is used for various tag-related moves.

If you're mapping to a standard PS3 pad, it seems a logical arrangement would be what I call "TVC style" for the Wii Classic controller:

Weak, Strong, Heavy attack in a delta shape using the top three face buttons, with Exchange on "X" or the bottom button of the diamond.

Then assist 1 and 2 can go on the top shoulder buttons, L1 and R2

Since you aren't using the assists like regular attack buttons in fast combo strings, having 'em on shoulder buttons shouldn't be a big deal.

Ironically MVC3 works better on a standard gamepad than SFIV, I'd theorize. In terms of button layout at least.
Why L1 and R2? That seems asymmetrical?

HK-47 said:
So far is seem to be:

Marvel
Asgard
SHIELD Helicarrier
Hand Hideout
NYC Parade

Capcom
Umbrella Labs
Kattelox Island
Metro City

Thanks!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Edit: read this wrong.

Yeah that's a weird set up on the L1 R2 x.x

but the set up is gonna be pretty similar on mine.

Top 3 face buttons, weak, medium, strong.
X = launcher

L1 = two attack buttons
R1 = all 4 buttons *for xfactor*
Triggers = assist

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't want to make a topic on the main boards because it's not worth having to deal with all of that nonsense... and because this still isn't 100%. We'll just have to wait.

I heard this from somebody that I'd consider fairly credible who wants to remain silent/anonymous. Frank West and Elektra are going to be DLC -- possibly for free. He told me that both characters were pulled from the game and are being made into DLC. I don't have proof or anything, but I hope my karma and standing on the forums are enough to get me out of any "you're lying" scenarios.

My source could be joking or whatever, but I don't see why he'd do that. I could've sworn we would be getting Juggernaut over Elektra, though. This DOES explain the Hand Hideout stage and it helps that Elektra was on that first leak.
---

The connection is definitely credible, but I think if he's wrong it's not because he's intentionally lying to me but because someone lied to him. It's almost like a game of telephone over there.

From what I was told, the reason Capcom wants to make them free is because they would have been in the game anyway had it not been for Frank's problems, and the development team feels badly about that. Elektra was just a "casualty," pulled to even the sides out. (It was probably dumb of me to assume that they added somebody in Frank's place given the timeline of all of this.)

EDIT: And no, I don't know anything else about the game or DLC, and neither does he.

I've been trying to explain this to myself, and I've reached a conclusion that makes way too much sense:

Mr. Fantastic -> Dormammu -- explained through the Human Torch/Super-Skrull stuff
Emma Frost -> Phoenix -- telephatic female X-Men newcomers
Juggernaut -> Sentinel -- giant X-Men villain veterans
Shuma-Gorath -> M.O.D.O.K. -- obscure non-humanoid villains

Niitsuma mentioned wanting several Fantastic Four characters in the game, said that Emma Frost is his favorite X-Men character, and mentioned both Juggernaut and Shuma-Gorath as characters he proposed to Marvel. Elektra is the only character from the original leaked list that was neither hinted at nor mentioned by Niitsuma.

Incidentally, the only leaked list character without a sensible replacement match is Elektra -- and honestly, the only similarity she shares with Storm is her gender. One is a newcomer and the other is a veteran, and they're both from different series and have completely different play styles.

Besides, Storm is a really major character. Her exclusion would have meant a lot more than that of Dormammu, Phoenix, Sentinel, or M.O.D.O.K., and so it probably makes more sense that she was added to the roster entirely rather than replacing somebody else. From what we know, Frank West was removed from the game fairly late, and there wouldn't have been time to add a new character in his place. Because C.Viper is the only Capcom character missing from the list, she would have had to have been added later, and she'd need a Marvel counterpart to even the sides out -- Storm. Both characters were revealed together, too.

There's also the Hand Hideout stage. When most people think Hand, they think Daredevil and Elektra. Yes, Wolverine was associated with the Hand, but do you really think Capcom would have chosen that as an X-Men stage if they really wanted to include one, over the Danger Room, X-Mansion, Asteroid M, or Savage Land? The marqee series of the MvC franchise are Street Fighter and X-Men, and neither have stages. If Capcom intended for the Hand Hideout to be the X-Men stage, then that feeling of equality and comparability would be lost. Perhaps with DLC we'll see stages for Street Fighter and X-Men.

From CAW Evolution. My friend passed the information to me. (Take it with grain of salt.)

Dali

IntelliHeath said:
From CAW Evolution. My friend passed the information to me. (Take it with grain of salt.)
Wow, that's awesome. Here's hoping it's true (for Elektra, who cares about Frank)? I seriously doubt they'd be free, though. I mean why give it to us for free... when they can charge?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
IntelliHeath said:
Incidentally, the only leaked list character without a sensible replacement match is Elektra -- and honestly, the only similarity she shares with Storm is her gender. One is a newcomer and the other is a veteran, and they're both from different series and have completely different play styles.
I hope it's true, but I have a feeling that Elektra was replaced by X23 (female assassin w/ short blades). I don't remember X23 being on the first list either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom