• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheating-GAF: Share your stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapiozona

Banned
lethial said:
While I don't like cheaters, that is fucked.

I was cheated on way back in highschool. I dated this girl who had feelings for her ex. They hooked up, I found out and re-arranged his nose for good. He had tubes stuffed up his nose and had to sleep with a bib because of all the fluids expelling from his nostrils for almost a month. No regret, no remorse. I tell my gfs that if you cheat on me, you'll be on a milk carton. I've never cheated on any gfs.

Pics or it didn't happen. I'd love to see a picture of you as well. You sound like a total badass.

Slo

ScOULaris said:
Okay, I'm a prick/douche/asshole for thing that CHEATING IS WRONG?

And no, nobody in my family has ever been (to my knowledge) a victim of cheating, nor have I.

I made this thread for people to share their stories as a means of shedding some light on situations in which people cheat. If there were more posts like that, maybe I might understand how there could be a circumstance where a victim of cheating doesn't deserve to be notified.

Op, please answer my question. Why do you think it's your place to be the moral police in situations that you are not directly involved?

Tapiozona

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Okay, I'm a prick/douche/asshole for thing that CHEATING IS WRONG?

And no, nobody in my family has ever been (to my knowledge) a victim of cheating, nor have I.

I made this thread for people to share their stories as a means of shedding some light on situations in which people cheat. If there were more posts like that, maybe I might understand how there could be a circumstance where a victim of cheating doesn't deserve to be notified.

Yes, you're a prick/douche/asshole.
But you're not understanding the reasoning here. It's because none of this shit is your business. You just feel the need to insert yourself into other people's lives and be some righteous hero when you should be minding your own damn business.

Chinner said:
i preferred your original post because i was going to make a joke but whatever :(
haha I didn't feel like starting any fights

I could end up with fluids expelling from my nose from mr. tough guy!

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Tapiozona said:
Pics or it didn't happen. I'd love to see a picture of you as well. You sound like a total badass.

Well unfortunately I don't really have any pics from highschool from 16 years ago. That was a different time for me, things have changed. Sure it's a childish thing to do but at the time it's what I felt was right. Don't really have anything else to say about it...

andycapps

lethial said:

I was cheated on way back in highschool. I dated this girl who had feelings for her ex. They hooked up, I found out and re-arranged his nose for good. He had tubes stuffed up his nose and had to sleep with a bib because of all the fluids expelling from his nostrils for almost a month. No regret, no remorse. I tell my gfs that if you cheat on me, you'll be on a milk carton. I've never cheated on any gfs.

EDIT: To clarify for the neck beards that aren't reading the thread, the milk carton thing is a joke.

That you, Docpan?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Slo said:
Op, please answer my question. Why do you think it's your place to be the moral police in situations that you are not directly involved?

Yeah, good question.

Even if he's under the impression that he's 'right' thing, he's invading a private relationship that he has no right to interfere with it. Let people solve their own issues, we don't need morality police.

rinse82

lethial said:

the fuck

Snuggler said:
Yeah, good question.

Even if he's under the impression that he's 'right' thing, he's invading a private relationship that he has no right to interfere with it. Let people solve their own issues, we don't need morality police.
You can tell from OP's writing style that he's most likely just a teenager. He'll learn these things in time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ScOULaris said:
Okay, I'm a prick/douche/asshole for thinking that CHEATING IS WRONG?

You just need a FAT reality check.
Other people's relationships are absolutely NONE of your business. You have absolutely no right to interfere with people's personal lives.

ScOULaris

So let me get this straight, you guys. If you were being cheated on, you WOULDN'T want someone to tell you? Even if it was your significant other's friend?

The Lamonster said:
You can tell from OP's writing style that he's most likely just a teenager. He'll learn these things in time.

Turning 25 soon. What about my writing makes you think I am in my teens? Have you seen how teenagers write these days?

Repgnar

How's it a private relationship when the cheater includes a third person? It's not like the OP is creating a problem when nothing happened, if the cheater doesn't want to create problems then don't cheat.

Jobiensis

OP Paraphrased said:
Hi, I hate cheaters and think they are the scum of the earth. I will go out of my way to out them to their S.O.s.

So, GAF tell me your stories about cheating.

It almost sounds like you would go all detective on people.

There are cases where I would rat out friends, but it would only be when it was a chronic case where the cheating was causing real damage to the relationship (on going affair). IMO, while a one time cheat is morally wrong, telling your S.O. about it is actually the wrong thing to do. It is selfish and hurtful to confess.

I did cheat on a girlfriend in high school, we were already drifting apart and instead of ending it, I moved on to new territories.

I've been married for almost 19 years and have never cheated. While I have had opportunities and urges, I couldn't live with myself breaking my wife's heart.

ScOULaris said:
So let me get this straight, you guys. If you were being cheated on, you WOULDN'T want someone to tell you? Even if it was your significant other's friend?

Nope, as long as it is a done deal in the past, I don't want to know.

To be clear, I am only referring to sex cheating. A full out affair would be a different story.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
ScOULaris said:
It doesn't matter. Its got nothing to do with you.

Articate

Banned
ScOULaris said:

I've had a close friend cheat on his girl. I did what a proper friend does and discussed it with my friend. I don't pretend to know everything about the situation and judge it out of some unreal 'morals' that are subjective to the situation. I don't think it's right if that's what straight up is happening, but maybe it isn't. Maybe it is; if it is, I'll discuss it in length with my friend. If it goes to far over too long, maybe. But I'm not "hi, I'm Bob. If you cheat on your girl, I will always give you one week to tell, then I will".

I'm not incapable of judging a situation.

ScOULaris

Jobiensis said:
While I have had opportunities and urges, I couldn't live with myself breaking my wife's heart.
Exactly. If you love someone, you are willfully devastating them emotionally if you choose to cheat. If someone thinks that's defensible, then we will obviously never come to an agreement.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Snuggler said:
Yeah, good question.

people can't solve their issues if they don't know about them.

ryan-ts

Here's how I look at it, if one of my close friends cheats on someone I'l call them a douchebag a few times and be done with it. No need to tell their significant other.

If they were being cheated on I probably would tell them, comfort them if they needed it and they can figure out the rest on their own.

If it's two people that are somewhat known to me, I'd let them solve it on their own. No need for me to interfere.

Never cheated and never been cheated on (to my knowledge anyway)

Anyone else simply not care? Maybe its because I'm older and married but freaking out about cheating seems like a young person's game. Honestly if my wife came to me and said she cheated on me I probably wouldn't care all that much.

Of course its impossible to know without being in that situation but I certainly wouldn't go breaking any noses. If she had an ongoing thing with someone I'd end our relationship and let her persue that one but if it was an one time thing I'd just forgive her and move on.

This American Life has a great cheating episode
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/393/infidelity

Wow, I can't believe people think the OP is a douche. I'd want to know if my significant other was cheating on me behind my back. If I found out some other way and my friends told me they knew I'd be pissed as hell that they didn't tell me. I'm guessing the ones calling out OP have cheated on someone before. =/

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ScOULaris said:
Exactly. If you love someone, you are willfully devastating them emotionally if you choose to cheat. If someone thinks that's defensible, then we will obviously never come to an agreement.
I don't think anyone really disagrees with this. At least I don't.
The problem is you interjecting yourself in a very personal situation that doesn't involve you in any way.

Articate

Banned
ScOULaris said:

It's great that you feel like that. I do, too. I'd never cheat on anyone. I don't care about evolution or societial structures and notions of 'cheating' - I just don't think it's cool. I don't impose that on my friends. That's why I'd rather discuss it, because I can hear their side of the story, and even learn more about life from their experience of cheating on someone.

2San

I don't cheat myself and afaik never cheated on(though I somewhat suspect one girl did, but we broke up before the suspicion was big enough to act on).

Have a friend that dated this girl for a few years and cheated on her multiple times(she never found out), but since they got married he has changed his ways. While I despise cheating. He's a good friend and it's not like he's cheating on me.

DY_nasty

ScOULaris said:
Once again, what is there to discuss? What could you friend POSSIBLY tell you that you justify his/her cheating?
I think what the person before was saying that there are many reason why it happens, not many reasons with some of them being good ones.

TomServo

I love the people saying "I've never been cheated on."

That you know of...

Shit happens. If my current gf had some random drunken hookup while I was out of town, I'd honestly rather not know about it. Telling me in this case would be offloading her guilt onto me, and putting me in a painful position of deciding how to handle it.

If we're talking about a full-on relationship behind my back, that's different.

Articate

Banned
BroMezzano said:
Wow, I can't believe people think the OP is a douche. I'd want to know if my significant other was cheating on me behind my back. If I found out some other way and my friends told me they knew I'd be pissed as hell that they didn't tell me. I'm guessing the ones calling out OP have cheated on someone before. =/

We're not talking about your friends. We're talking about your partner's friends. People that have little to do with you.

ScOULaris

Maybe "ratting them out" is a bad choice of words in my original post. I wouldn't be snooping behind their back. They know from Day 1 that they need to come clean, and I give them time to do so. If enough time passes without their confession, then I will give them a final warning. It's not like I'm trying to dick them over. They know what they did was wrong, and a true, level-headed friend would not try to kick my ass over it. And frankly, they probably couldn't if they tried.

I've never cheated but I have been cheated on. She cheated on me, then a few months later broke up with me. I found out that she cheated on me after we broke up, was pissed, then didn't give a fuck and moved on.

WJD

ScOULaris said:
Maybe "ratting them out" is a bad choice of words in my original post. I wouldn't be snooping behind their back. They know from Day 1 that they need to come clean, and I give them time to do so. If enough time passes without their confession, then I will give them a final warning. It's not like I'm trying to dick them over. They know what they did was wrong, and a true, level-headed friend would not try to kick my ass over it. And frankly, they probably couldn't if they tried.

This is what really irks me about what you're saying. It really does make you come off as a self-important, controlling ass.

Tapiozona

Banned
Jtwo said:
I don't think anyone really disagrees with this. At least I don't.
The problem is you interjecting yourself in a very personal situation that doesn't involve you in any way.

No use in telling him anymore. It's like beating a dead horse. 100 people have said the exact same thing and he constantly ignores it.

And the OP wonders why some people think he's a teenager. He doesn't have much of a clue in general it seems.

Jobiensis

ScOULaris said:

I don't want to derail, but the cheating doesn't do the damage, it's the knowledge of the cheating.

A bunch of years ago I might have shared your attitude, but cheating wouldn't be enough for me to call it off now. If I did for some reason screw up, I wouldn't tell my wife. If she has had sex with some guy in the past, I don't want to know about it. Sex is sex, marriage needs to withstand mistakes, and a sexual tryst is just a mistake. A full out affair is just the end, but that is different than cheating.

DY_nasty

TomServo said:

That you know of...

Shit happens. If my current gf had some random drunken hookup while I was out of town, I'd honestly rather not know about it. Telling me in this case would be offloading her guilt onto me, and putting me in a painful position of deciding how to handle it.

And that sucks, but if you go on saying "its just a matter of time before the next wench rips out your heart! SHE MIGHT BE DOING IT RIGHT NOW" then its pretty obvious that you've got trust issues that still need to be worked on.

All that bullshit of "that you know of! *dun dun dun*" is pointless

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ScOULaris said:
It's not like I'm trying to dick them over.
No. That's exactly what it is.
Tapiozona said:
No use in telling him anymore.
But it's properly enraging me!
You can't just interfere with shit like this. Aghgh!

Ok I'm done.

CrankyJay

Banned
ScOULaris said:

You sound less like a friend and more like a person that needs a good ass kicking.

ScOULaris said:

Frankly, this post makes you look even worse.

Articate

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Once again, what is there to discuss? What could you friend POSSIBLY tell you that you justify his/her cheating?

Who cares. It's not about justifying. It's about talking. They're my friend, they deserve me asking them why they're doing it and how they feel when they're doing it. I'm not gonna morally steamroll them going "NOT LISTENING, YOU'RE DOING SOMTHING THAT'S WRONG"

ScOULaris

Articate said:
We're not talking about your friends. We're talking about your partner's friends. People that have little to do with you.
What if you know and hang out with your friend and his/her partner all the time? If your friend was cheating on someone you see all the time, you would be totally fine just letting them live on oblivious of that betrayal?

DY_nasty

ScOULaris said:
lol who the fuck do you think you are? lmao

Dizzy

Banned
I don't understand how/why someone would do it.....then again I don't understand a lot of the bad things which people seem to commonly do. If a relationship is going sour you can't force someone to stay with someone they don't love, nor can you help it if perhaps you love someone else more but the right thing to do would be to break up first and be honest with them before seeing someone else.

If it means anything OP I'm on your side. I think it's good that you don't tolerate it. Not sure what I'd do and I've never been in that situation. If it's someone I don't know well I'd stay out of it, if it was a close friend I think I'd force them to confess or stay clear of them. Sometimes you make things worse by interferring.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ScOULaris said:

infidelity at most any level is something best dealt with intimately. Some people (both victims and wrongdoers) would want desperately to keep their privacy no matter what direction they decide to go once things are in the open between the couple. Having a third party (you) involved is not going to help, and likely would only amplify the victim's shame. I unfortunately say this from experience, please trust me that you are doing no one a favor and only cause further hurt by interfering. By all means, continue to scold your hypothetical cheating friend and encourage him/her to come clean. But doing more and/or going directly to the victim is not the right thing to do.

ScOULaris said:

Its still none of your goddamn business. Who the fuck do you think you are "giving them time to come clean"?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
TomServo said:

That you know of...

I agree. Has my current gf cheated on me? I doubt it. Has she had the opportunity? Absolutely. But I trust her. I know guys hit on her when she's out at the bars with her girlfriends (She is sometimes the wingman) - hey, it's free drinks for her. She tells me she dances with guys, who cares? She doesn't let them get their hands on her or anything she can be a super bitch.

Articate

Banned
ScOULaris said:

You're too black and white. And you're no party to judge anything. Virtually no situation where someone's cheating on someone is simple or similar to all other situations where that has happened. While the norm is that you don't cheat, the fact that you pretty much have a moral contract with your friends saying "if you cheat on your girl, I'll tell on you if you don't. No matter the situation". Maybe your friend is in the most tormenting situation ever, and you nagging him about morals will just add stress and completely shit on the entire situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom