• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheating-GAF: Share your stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangocube

Banned
I cheated on my main GF in highschool with an ex of mine. Made me feel terrible. She never found out and I never had the balls to tell her. It really does eat you alive. It isn't worth it at all. I'm a paranoid person as is, and it only adds to it.

Never been cheated on that I know of. I would probably flip out though.

Would I cheat again? I almost kind of did with a girl I've been seeing for a while now. Long story. I'm very weak when it comes to aggressive women. Trying to change when it comes to it, but I just fall like a log at the moment. Quite pathetic, but what can ya do. I don't think I'd ever cheat again.

I can't say I disagree with the OP, he's not part of the couple obviously, but if the guy tells him he cheated I wouldn't say he's not involved. Of course I probably wouldn't be able to hang around with people that went around cheating on their significant others like that.

ScOULaris

Just to be clear, when it happened with my best friend, we did discuss it. He told her the next day, and that was it. And despite all of this, we remained friends! Who would have thought that my friend would be mature enough to accept responsibility for his wrongdoing and not threaten me for being "disloyal?"

soultron

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Once again, what is there to discuss? What could you friend POSSIBLY tell you that you justify his/her cheating?
Your style of argument is selective and ambush-ish. Stop.

You discuss that you're displeased with your friend but that you're there for them to talk it out. Maybe it's a sign that your friend's relationship has soured and they need to get out -- you help them realize that. Our maybe it's just your friend being an idiot -- you help them realize that doing it again could have them throwing away a perfectly fine relationship for random ass.

We're not defending cheating. Stop suggesting that.

ShinAmano

Never cheated or plan to, never been cheated on.

I do have a totally messed up story about cheating though...

Have a group of friends since grade/middle school and we were all really good friends. Guy A married his high school sweetheart after 10 years of dating. Guy B was his best man. After about 5 years of marriage it turns out that Guy As wife was cheating on him with Guy B...it gets worse.

So Guy A at the time is dealing with the recent death of his grandmother along with taking care of his other ailing grandmother and his father who has had to have multiple heart surgeries over this period of time. His first grandmother left him an inheritance of around $30K. His wife had just purchased a new car and had about $10K in credit card debt, but being the husband and having come into a nice chunk of cash he pays off both of those debts leaving him with little to nothing. The week after is when it came out that she had been sleeping with Guy B for over a year.

Guy A was a delivery driver that had to deliver daily to Guy As work place.

So now Guy B is living with Guy As Wife and neither Guy A nor Guy B hang out with the group. Guy A we are not sure why, but we assume it has to do with how he thinks we feel about the situation (everyone on the outside is strongly against how it went down). Guy B because it is very awkward when he shows up with our other friends wife.

Anyhow shitty situation that has basically shattered a good group of friends of 15+ years.

ScOULaris

soultron said:
It's subtly suggested every time someone says something along the lines of "everyone's reasons for cheating are different/complicated."

CrankyJay

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Just to be clear, when it happened with my best friend, we did discuss it. He told her the next day, and that was it. And despite all of this, we remained friends! Who would have thought that my friend would be mature enough to accept responsibility for his wrongdoing and not threaten me for being "disloyal."

Your only duty as a friend is to tell him he's being a fuck-up and that you don't agree with what he's doing and leave it at that. It's not your responsibility or right to intervene. The guy is just as big of a douche as you are for putting up with that shit.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
soultron said:
Your style of argument is selective and ambush-ish. Stop.

You discuss that you're displeased with your friend but that you're there for them to talk it out. Maybe it's a sign that your friend's relationship has soured and they need to get out -- you help them realize that. Our maybe it's just your friend being an idiot -- you help them realize that doing it again could have them throwing away a perfectly fine relationship for random ass.

Seriously...

And so many here think that people cheat for one reason and one reason alone, its naive and ignorant.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ScOULaris said:
It's subtly suggested every time someone says something along the lines of "everyone's reasons for cheating are different/complicated."

they are, and those reasons only make sense to the couple. Reasons are not excuses or justifications. What most are saying is that it's simply not your business.

Articate

Banned
ScOULaris said:

Why? I said that. I never said any of them were defendable. I said they're worth listening to because the person in the situation is your friend. If your morals are more important that your friends, something is wrong.

ScOULaris

Lard said:
Obvious bragging thread.
This was supposed to be a thread where people could share their cheating stories, because they are usually pretty interesting.

But obviously I struck some kind of nerve with my black-and-white stance on cheating.

Either way, I don't think it's my fault that this thread has been derailed so thoroughly. It's still interesting discussion though, despite all the hate I am getting.

DominoKid

ScOULaris said:
Given my stance on cheating, all of my friends know that if they cheat and I find out, they have one week to confess before I rat them out. My loyalties lie to whomever is in the right in most situations, and I will always side with the victim of cheating rather than the perpetrator, even if my friend is the guilty party. This even applies when I barely know the person who's being cheated on. I feel that everyone deserves to know, and I don't care if someone gets mad at me for breaking the news. If my friend cheats on his or her significant other, they know that I simply won't let it slide. Period. And yes, I have put this policy into practice with my best friend before.

damn you snitching like shit. where the loyalty?

DY_nasty

ScOULaris said:
This was supposed to be a thread where people could share their cheating stories, because they are usually pretty interesting.

But obviously I struck some kind of nerve with my black-and-white stance on cheating.

Either way, I don't think it's my fault that this thread has been derailed so thoroughly. It's still interesting discussion though, despite all the hate I am getting.
Its not hate, its just something that rubs people the wrong way when you take this moral stand of "I give them fair warning" and other shit when its clear that you're not aware of the reasoning behind why a lot of infidelity happens in the first place.

evil ways

modernkicks said:
she wanted you to kick his ass to win her over to prove your manhood

and you failed by snitching to the police
"What strength!! but don't forget there are many guys like you all over the world"

ScOULaris

DY_nasty said:
Its not hate, its just something that rubs people the wrong way when you take this moral stand of "I give them fair warning" and other shit when its clear that you're not aware of the reasoning behind why a lot of infidelity happens in the first place.
It doesn't matter what their "reasoning" was for cheating. The other half of the couple that was cheated on deserves to know. Let them decide if the reasoning makes any difference after hearing the news, but everyone deserves to know when they are being cheated on.

DY_nasty

Neuromancer said:
No. You struck a nerve when you discussed your policy of ratting out your friends.
OP's friend: "I need to get something off my chest man.... I cheated on my wife. Its been going on for a while now, bu-"
OP: "YOU HAVE ONE WEEK"

Jangocube

Banned
CrankyJay said:
This apparently doesn't apply to everyone.

Ya, some people are douchebags, what can you do.

Although, I'm sure most people believe I fall into that category for what I did, but meh, you live and learn.

OP is a douche though, always has been. Haven't seen a thread by him where he doesn't troll it.

WJD

DY_nasty said:
OP's friend: "I need to get something off my chest man.... I cheated on my wife. Its been going on for a while now, bu-"
OP: "YOU HAVE ONE WEEK"

laughing smiley.

TomServo

DY_nasty said:
And that sucks, but if you go on saying "its just a matter of time before the next wench rips out your heart! SHE MIGHT BE DOING IT RIGHT NOW" then its pretty obvious that you've got trust issues that still need to be worked on.

All that bullshit of "that you know of! *dun dun dun*" is pointless
Huh?

I don't feel I have trust issues as much as I feel most people are naive about love. You're dealing with another person, another free will, and another mind that can change in an instant.

I enjoy the current moments in my relationships, and that's enough for me. I'm not going to devastated if someone cheats on me, I'll just have to decide if the pleasure I get from the relationship is worth overlooking a single breech of trust.

Again, if we're talking about a full-blown affair that's a different matter entirely.

And yes, the "that you know of" bit is relevant. Most psychologists and relationship counselors would tell the one-time cheater not to fess up. If someone goes out and seeks professional advice for what to do in case they have a single slip in fidelity, the advice will be to take it to their grave.

ScOULaris said:
It doesn't matter what their "reasoning" was for cheating. The other half of the couple that was cheated on deserves to know. Let them decide if the reasoning makes any difference after hearing the news, but everyone deserves to know when they are being cheated on.

so also probably tell kids santa isint real.

levious

ScOULaris said:

victims of cheating don't deserve to have their shame magnified by having a third party interfere with their business.

ScOULaris

Jangocube said:
OP is a douche though, always has been. Haven't seen a thread by him where he doesn't troll it.
So defending my position without any hostility or profanity whatsoever is trolling now? IN MY OWN THREAD?!

DY_nasty

ScOULaris said:
You keep saying it doesn't matter, its WRONG.

No one is saying that it isn't. We're saying that if a friend tells you that he is, and you drop the ultimatum on him like you're an agent of God instead of talking to him like the friend you're supposed to be, then in the best case scenario you're a shitty friend.

Also, jumping into other people's homes and relationships doesn't help anyone.

ScOULaris said:
They know what they did was wrong, and a true, level-headed friend would not try to kick my ass over it.

I dunno man. It's not like you're an idiot or anything. I can appreciate strong, honest morals. It's just .... like, nerdy and douchy, like you're playing mommy or some shit.

It's very much along the same lines as "if you don't tell your parents you skipped school today, I will" or "omg you stole a pack of baseball cards? well we're going to tell the manager," or calling the cops on your parents for smoking weed.

Just ... weird. Let people live their lives, man.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
eh, for all you people saying the OP is a douche etc, nothing good ever comes to the person that *knew* someone was being cheated on and didnt tell. So if his friends are stupid enough to let him find out they are cheating thats their problem.

CrankyJay

Banned
ScOULaris said:

Sounds like you want to go Detective-GAF on these people, and give them your one week ultimatum.

No one in here is defending cheating. Its a shitty act and ill admit ive done it, but if you were a friend you would help out your friends, and not go running off to tell the other party.

DY_nasty

rainking187 said:
Victims of cheating deserve to know they've been cheated on.
And when did that responsibility fall to the spouse's friend?

levious

rainking187 said:

sure, but they also deserve their privacy. Unless they reach out to someone to help them, don't interfere. Like I said before, certainly continue to encourage the cheater to come clean, but don't get involved.

ScOULaris said:

No one is going to put their stories in your thread with you out Narc-ing on everyone.

edit: your edited OP doesn't make you sound any less arrogant.

Articate

Banned
rainking187 said:

If you think that, tell that to your friend. Not your friend's partner. If your friend is a complete douche running around hitting everything and laughing at you for saying you think it's not a cool thing to do - then he's not your friend. Feel free to do whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom