• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles announced for Europe (dual language voice)

Kaizer said:
Anyone know any good sites where you can import EU games from? I only ever see sites like Play-Asia, but nothing for Europe.

I would be interested as well. If E3 comes and goes and NA can't be bothered with this game then I'll import.

Kaizer said:
Anyone know any good sites where you can import EU games from? I only ever see sites like Play-Asia, but nothing for Europe.
What I recommend is game.co.uk. Shipping is £4.95 per order and takes 4-6 business days. They've not got the game up for pre-order yet, their prices can be similar to other retailers.

Shalashaska161 said:
I'm fairly sure Amazon.co.uk ship to North America, but I'm sure there is probably someplace cheaper out there.
Amazon.co.uk do not ship videogames to North America (they do books but you might be limited to only one copy). However, some Amazon marketplace sellers might but to be honest it probably won't be cheaper than the game.co.uk route.

Shiggy

TheBaldEmperor said:
I would be interested as well. If E3 comes and goes and NA can't be bothered with this game then I'll import.

From what I understand it's not coming to NA. NoE would not create their own voice-over for a rather low-profile title like Xenoblade which will not see huge sales. For Layton they did, but that's an entirely different calibre.
In addition, if it was to be shown at E3, NoE would've not announced it only a few months before that show with so little effort (not even a localised trailer).

Pyrokai

Shiggy said:
From what I understand it's not coming to NA. NoE would not create their own voice-over for a rather low-profile title like Xenoblade which will not see huge sales. For Layton they did, but that's an entirely different calibre.
In addition, if it was to be shown at E3, NoE would've not announced it only a few months before that show with so little effort (not even a localised trailer).

Wait....I don't understand this. You're saying they wouldn't normally do this for a release like Xenoblade if it only came out in Europe? So why are they doing it? Based on what you're saying, wouldn't it make more sense for them to do it if it also saw a North American release?

duckroll

Pyrokai said:
Wait....I don't understand this. You're saying they wouldn't normally do this for a release like Xenoblade if it only came out in Europe? So why are they doing it? Based on what you're saying, wouldn't it make more sense for them to do it if it also saw a North American release?

I think what he's saying is, if it were getting a NA release, NoE would just use the NoA localization, instead of handling it themselves. The fact that NoE is localizing it, and not Treehouse, and handling the voice recording in Europe as well, is a sign that it might entirely be a NoE only project.

Shiggy

duckroll said:
I think what he's saying is, if it were getting a NA release, NoE would just use the NoA localization, instead of handling it themselves. The fact that NoE is localizing it, and not Treehouse, and handling the voice recording in Europe as well, is a sign that it might entirely be a NoE only project.

At times, NoE and Treehouse both do their own translations. But a NoE voice recording only happens for games with high sales potential or for games which English voice-recording don't exist (e.g. Doshin the Giant on GCN).

I would not use Disaster as an example here, which also had English voices in the Japanese version. Although the European version had some slight differences here, those were initiated by NoA. That's why the voice actors had to return a year after finishing the voice recording sessions (Monolith did not see the sense behind naming the terrorist STORM instead of SURGE and those other changes, especially when NoA never released it).

Pyrokai

duckroll said:

Ugh.....so what do you think, duckroll? Do you think we can still see this at E3 for NA? Just wondering what you think :p

Maybe, just maybe, NOA and NOE are collaborating and NOE does Xenoblade while NOA does Last Story so that redundancy on dual translations isn't happening. I can dream, right? :p

Ananaz

For what it's worth, Peter Dickson's official site does say the game is coming to US too.

Peter has been cast as the Emperor Sorean - the leader of the High Entia in the cult Nintendo RPG Xenoblade Chronicles. The game will be released Autumn 2011 in UK, Europe and USA. Peter is thrilled to have played such a leading role in a massively successful Nintendo title.

17/04/2011

Kinda unrelated (bear with me): I just noticed this page at Nintendo UK: The Nintendo Unleashed.

How do I put it...the list so far is all well, comic and/or anime conventions. The latter would be the audience most interested in the game. If NOE play their cards right with one they might have a playable demo up at some of those events. Given it is NOE we are talking about its a bit of a stretch.

We've seen NOA do similar things like with Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (they also paired it with a contest to win a replica sword too) although I don't think it helped the game one bit.

Ananaz said:
Peter has been cast as the Emperor Sorean - the leader of the High Entia in the cult Nintendo RPG Xenoblade Chronicles. The game will be released Autumn 2011 in UK, Europe and USA. Peter is thrilled to have played such a leading role in a massively successful Nintendo title.

17/04/2011

Well, since when is UK not in Europe ?

Diffense

If NOA passes on Xenoblade, I'll really have to re-evalauate whether I need a Nintendo console when I can't even get to play Nintendo games (outside of EAD stuff) on it.
I mean, do we need LESS games and LESS variety when wii's third party support is already like poo?
My satisfaction with your brand is riding on this Nintendo. Make it happen!

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Seeing as NoE have already put a not-inconsiderable budget into translating and dubbing it into a language Americans can understand, it's impossible to conceive that NoA are so lacking in business acumen that they'd ignore an opportunity to fill their tumble-weed-rolling, cricket-chirping state of a release schedule for the blasted console/dust-magnet. It's going to happen. It just feels like the announcement's taking ages because there's a 1% chance they are that incompetent, which raises a niggling doubt every time we see this thread pop up and it hasn't been announced.

As someone from the UK, I remember being in a similar position with Demon's Souls. The wait lasted for months, and I was ready to give up hope, buckle down, and pay the import fees for a US copy. And then Namco Bandai came riding in on their white stead, who swiftly picked me up from the flooded, muddy hill-side after I'd fainted from exhaustion, and took me back to a warm charcoal-lit fireplace at my Tudor mansion to play as an incredibly imbalanced Royal. Bliss.

Are there any Wii games that have been localised for Europe and haven't hit NA? I know there are for a couple of DS games, but not sure with Wii.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Magicpaint said:
Are there any Wii games that have been localised for Europe and haven't hit NA? I know there are for a couple of DS games, but not sure with Wii.
Another Code: R for Wii

Disaster: Day of Crisis for Wii

Pikmin 2 New Play Control for Wii

...all first party Nintendo....

Dascu

Magicpaint said:
Another Code R and Disaster: Day of Crisis. Both are pretty good.

If it does come to the US, I wonder if what happened to Baten Kaitos Origins will happen to this. BKO released the month (or the same month?) the Wii released, so it was pretty much sent to die. Nintendo [of America] may give Monolithsoft a break...right, guys? :[ A few months before the new Nintendo system won't be so bad.

If we even get it. That said, Monolithsoft doesn't catch a break in the US.

Cataferal said:
As someone from the UK, I remember being in a similar position with Demon's Souls. The wait lasted for months, and I was ready to give up hope, buckle down, and pay the import fees for a US copy. And then Namco Bandai came riding in on their white stead, who swiftly picked me up from the flooded, muddy hill-side after I'd fainted from exhaustion, and took me back to a warm charcoal-lit fireplace at my Tudor mansion to play as an incredibly imbalanced Royal. Bliss.
Experienced the same thing with Tales of Vesperia.

BocoDragon said:
NoA can be very stupid.
Yeah. :/ Sounds very much like NoE during the GC era (BATEN KAITOS ORIGINS). Not a good time.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
dragonlife29 said:
If it does come to the US, I wonder if what happened to Baten Kaitos Origins will happen to this. BKO released the month (or the same month?) the Wii released, so it was pretty much sent to die. Nintendo [of America] may give Monolithsoft a break...right, guys? :[ A few months before the new Nintendo system won't be so bad.

If we even get it. That said, Monolithsoft doesn't catch a break in the US.
Indeed. If that does turn out to be the way, it'll be a bitter-sweet swansong for those who do pick it up, and will probably garner the kind of cult following that would happily spread the word to the uninitiated. Sales may increase after the release date with enough sustained, positive buzz (which, according to the reviews I've read, Xenoblade is entirely capable of inspiring). Like with The Wire. Or Shawshank Redemption. Or Kubrick films.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Cataferal said:
Indeed. If that does turn out to be the way, it'll be a bitter-sweet swansong for those who do pick it up, and will probably garner the kind of cult following that would happily spread the word to the uninitiated. Sales may increase after the release date with enough sustained, positive buzz (which, according to the reviews I've read, Xenoblade is entirely capable of inspiring). Like with The Wire. Or Shawshank Redemption. Or Kubrick films.
On the other hand, games like Chrono Cross and FFIX came out under the shadow of the PS2 launch, and no one seemed to forget about them.

That console might be in a different position than Wii, but I'm just saying, just because a game is released around the same time as the successor console doesn't mean its being sent to die.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The worst part about Disaster is that, even though it is far from a perfect title, it came out during a seriously bad software drought. NoA were disappointed with it's performance and PAL landed, and decided that rather than throw NA Wii games a bone they'll just give them flat out nothing.

Which is a shame, because past it's rough edges lies a damn fun game. It's probably the most legitimately enjoyable and well made 'b-movie game' of the generation. The kind of game where you can fight a bear with a rocket launcher.

I hope the inevitable bombing of this game won't make NOE think that it isn't worth localizing future games by Monolith Soft. I can't wait to see what their future projects for Stream/Cafe/WiiHD will look like...

wsippel

Banned
EatChildren said:
The worst part about Disaster is that, even though it is far from a perfect title, it came out during a seriously bad software drought. NoA were disappointed with it's performance and PAL landed, and decided that rather than throw NA Wii games a bone they'll just give them flat out nothing.

Which is a shame, because past it's rough edges lies a damn fun game. It's probably the most legitimately enjoyable and well made 'b-movie game' of the generation. The kind of game where you can fight a bear with a rocket launcher.
I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, I kind of consider it "Nintendo's Metal Gear Solid" in a way, even though it's obviously nowhere near budget wise. Still, there are similarities, and it's a god damn fun and batshit insane rollercoaster ride, which is exactly what I always liked about MGS.

DXB-KNIGHT said:
Darn, I don't want to use homebrew so I really hope its coming to the US.
As someone who had that same mentality until a few days ago I have to say you do want to use homebrew.
It's so damn convenient. :I

legend166 said:
Why don't you want to use homebrew?
Just a fear doing something wrong and thats not just ethically I always end up breaking stuff even software wise, although at the same time I feel a bit interested.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I just hope the voices are better than NoE's usual garbage. I still can't get over how terrible the UK voice of Luke in the Layton games is. I'm a Londoner and I prefer the US one. Barbara the Bat in Jam with the Band was atrocious too, she spoke like Mary Poppins.

BocoDragon said:
On the other hand, games like Chrono Cross and FFIX came out under the shadow of the PS2 launch, and no one seemed to forget about them.

That console might be in a different position than Wii, but I'm just saying, just because a game is released around the same time as the successor console doesn't mean its being sent to die.
Yeah, GameCube already being dead was a much bigger problem for a game like Baten Kaitos Origins than anything about Wii timing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
DXB-KNIGHT said:
Just a fear doing something wrong and thats not just ethically I always end up breaking stuff even software wise, although at the same time I feel a bit interested.
It's super easy.
Click here:

Read through it and things will be fine. It's how I did it, and it works great.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The Gaf Homebrew Tutorial is super easy and works perfectly, so don't hesitate.

I'll be buying this day 1, which I rarely do (prices drop quickly in PAL land) just to support NOE's initiative in bringing this over here. That it's allegedly a fantastic game is the awesome bonus.

Crossing fingers for The Last Story. Come on Nintendo, you've got to fill that software gap somehow.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I hate to rub salt in the wounds, but NoA's release schedule plans have been bizarre this entire generation. So many games not being released at the time games were needed release, even if nothing they passed on was anything comparable sales potential wise to Wii Fit or quality wise like Mario Galaxy. I literally cannot think of a good reason for any of this - is there a general consensus of what the reason for it is besides "it's Nintendo"?

(Fortunately being a UK gamer I've been exempt from most of this heartbreak, though Excitebots still stings a little.)

Well, the obvious reason is that NoA does not see any or enough profit in releasing certain low profile games. They would rather have an empty release schedule instead of one that potentially loses them money.
That may be a sound behavior from a business standpoint, but it also shows that NoA is not willing to risk a little bit of money to satisfy their more enthusiastic customers and it also reveals their inability to turn a great, new, hardcore IP into a profitable release. And that's a shame.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Negator said:
Sorry if old:

Could it be that we are actually going to see Xenoblade in North America?

It's coming to America, people just love being paranoid about it for some reason.

Hiltz

I just don't understand Nintendo.

It spilled the beans on the Wii's successor but it has yet to confirm that XenoBlade is coming to NA later this year. That is, assuming the European voice actor's statement is correct.

Nintendo, you may have several unnanounced Wii projects to reveal at E3, but Wii owners need all the good news we can get ASAP. Besides, this game isn't a mystery title or anything, it was released in Japan in June 2010, showed up in NOA's 2011 game schedule and even confirmed for Europe!

Yeah, that's probably just an unconfirmed assumption on Dickson's part. We know how Nintendo is - even if it were coming to the US, anyone who actually knew wouldn't be allowed to say so.

Top Bottom