• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles announced for Europe (dual language voice)

artwalknoon said:
Oh, oops. Well I read that one of the voice actors on the localization tweeted that it would be out in the US in August.
I kind of think he meant Australia when he said USA. It would fit better with the rating board news.

Korigama

Lance Bone Path said:
I kind of think he meant Australia when he said USA. It would fit better with the rating board news.

I don't see how someone would confuse saying USA when they meant Australia. That said, I would rather wait for official confirmation before getting my hopes up.

pgtl_10

From my understanding the game is coming out in Australia. If the game doesn't make it Stateside is it still possible to homebrew a Wii. I think my Wii is completely updated so I don't know if a hack would work on it.

CaVaYeRo

European users will decide "alternative" boxart by online-poll. It will be then printed as a "b-side", just like with NPC line.

Candidates:

_245085t.jpg
portadademocraticaxenoblade_245082t.jpg
portadademocraticaxenoblade_245083t.jpg
portadademocraticaxenoblade_245084t.jpg

VOTE! www.xenobladechronicles.es (Spanish version).

CSSer

I was hoping to come home to some good news :(

The only hope left might be a stealth announcement on the show floor?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well, I just installed Homebrew on my Wii. I will be importing this from Europe.

Is there a good site where I can import other Europe only Wii titles?

Diffense

RurouniZel said:
Well, I just installed Homebrew on my Wii. I will be importing this from Europe.

I second this request.
What's a good site to buy from?

Ra1den

RurouniZel said:

You don't waste much time do you? Props for immediate and decisive action. I guess I'll be doing the same at some point.

Jigsaw

Banned
this makes no sense,if it's already localized to english/french/spanish for europe why they are not releasing it in america too?it costs them almost nothing

B.K. said:
Just download an ISO when it's out.
That's fucking stupid.
As much as I would hate the situation if I were american, there's no reason to feel entitled to pirate the game.
By that rationale, every player out there who's ever imported a japanese game should have pirated it.

Rich!

Jigsaw said:
gaf hadn't any problems with pirating mother 3 when it was not released in america

Mother 3 was in Japanese. The english patch was the only way to play it. It's still an illegal download, but that was a unique situation.

For Xenoblade? It will be in fluent ENGLISH. I will be able to buy it from my local GAME! For the Americans? Mod your Wii and import it from www.game.co.uk. If you think downloading a game illegally is justified purely because you didn't get it in your country, then that's pathetic and rather sad.

Jigsaw said:
gaf hadn't any problems with pirating mother 3 when it was not released in america
Patching a rom/iso != pirating a game.
I've patched a shitload of roms/isos for games I actually imported and dumped/ripped myself. And I consider to this day it was perfectly legal and didn't hurt any business, quite the opposite.

Jigsaw said:

Nope, everyone bought the game, uploaded the rom from the cartridge to their computer, and applied the translation patch to it. lol. Seriously though, I bet you would find that on GAF people generally spoke only of downloading the patch, not the rom. GAF enforces the rule against any direct admissions of game piracy very strictly. Manga and anime on the other hand...

daffy

Banned
Crosspost

So quick question to any homebrewers:

Tinyload + Homebrew Channel = Good to go???

Trying to keep it simple.

Edit: damn swift justice

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
FTH said:
So quick question to any homebrewers:

Tinyload + Homebrew Channel = Good to go???

The preference is Gecko for region-free games, or Configurable USB Loader if you want to install it onto a hard drive.

daffy

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
The preference is Gecko for region-free games, or Configurable USB Loader if you want to install it onto a hard drive.
Ok cool. What's the typical install size for the games if you don't mind me asking

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
FTH said:
Ok cool. What's the typical install size for the games if you don't mind me asking

Depends on the games. Ninjabread Man, New Super Mario Bros Wii, and Wii Play are all around 100 megs (out of my collection). Most games are 1-2 gigs. Some are 3-4. There are fewer than 10 games on the system that use dual-layer DVDs--one of them is Smash Bros (7 gigs). I suspect Xenoblade is one of the larger games, so definitely 4-7 gigs.

I use about 100-120 gigs on my hard drive with my collection of 65-70 games.

toasty_T said:
zavvi.com is also a good choice. they have free shipping (as of now) so it might work out to be the cheaper option.
Be careful though, some people in the cheap ass euro gamer thread have had horrible experiences with them. As far as I'm concerned, I've used them countless times and never had any problems.

Anyone interested in importing from Europe should check Keyser's great OP to a great thread.

daffy

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Depends on the games. Ninjabread Man, New Super Mario Bros Wii, and Wii Play are all around 100 megs (out of my collection). Most games are 1-2 gigs. Some are 3-4. There are fewer than 10 games on the system that use dual-layer DVDs--one of them is Smash Bros (7 gigs). I suspect Xenoblade is one of the larger games, so definitely 4-7 gigs.

I use about 100-120 gigs on my hard drive with my collection of 65-70 games.
Awesome, that's an excellent size range. Thanks a ton, I'll be doing this tonight then! :D

Stumpokapow said:

Where's the Gecko instructions for a Wii on 4.3 firmware? Also, would Gecko be the only thing I'd need?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bel Marduk said:
Where's the Gecko instructions for a Wii on 4.3 firmware? Also, would Gecko be the only thing I'd need?

At this point it's probably best to start moving some of the heavy lifting over to the GAF homebrew thread. Here's the thread.

To sincerely answer your question, though, in the mean time:
- First, you need a way to run Homebrew on your Wii. To do this, you will install a program called "Homebrew Channel". This is a base of operations from which you can launch any other Homebrew.
- To install this, you need a game to trigger an exploit. On a 4.3 US Wii this is Lego Indiana Jones, Super Smash Bros Brawl, or some dumb Yugioh game. Instructions on how to trigger the install vary depending on which game you choose, and you will find your answer in that thread.
- Once you've installed Homebrew Channel, you install Gecko OS and use it to launch region free games. You can either manually install Gecko OS, or install a program called Homebrew Browser which is basically like a Wii Shop Channel for homebrew. If you're not planning on trying random homebrew, probably just install Gecko OS.
- You're done. Some PAL games require you to set a simple "Force NTSC Video" switch in the program itself. This takes a fraction of a second.

So in total you download:
- Homebrew Channel
- An exploit for the appropriate game to install Homebrew Channel
- Gecko OS.

Loading off a hard drive requires one additional step (installing a custom "driver"--this is not the actual term used but just to explain it to you as someone who has never used Homebrew before, it's basically a driver--to allow mounting USB storage) but it is pretty much just as simple and <10 minutes extra work.

For any further discussion on how to make Homebrew work, move it to the Homebrew thread. I suspect that in a few months when the EU release comes out someone will start a thread with specific, running out-of-region only, instructions.

Stumpokapow said:
At this point it's probably best to start moving some of the heavy lifting over to the GAF homebrew thread. Here's the thread.

To sincerely answer your question, though, in the mean time:
- First, you need a way to run Homebrew on your Wii. To do this, you will install a program called "Homebrew Channel". This is a base of operations from which you can launch any other Homebrew.
- To install this, you need a game to trigger an exploit. On a 4.3 US Wii this is Lego Indiana Jones, Super Smash Bros Brawl, or some dumb Yugioh game. Instructions on how to trigger the install vary depending on which game you choose, and you will find your answer in that thread.
- Once you've installed Homebrew Channel, you install Gecko OS and use it to launch region free games. You can either manually install Gecko OS, or install a program called Homebrew Browser which is basically like a Wii Shop Channel for homebrew. If you're not planning on trying random homebrew, probably just install Gecko OS.
- You're done. Some PAL games require you to set a simple "Force NTSC Video" switch in the program itself. This takes a fraction of a second.

So in total you download:
- Homebrew Channel
- An exploit for the appropriate game to install Homebrew Channel
- Gecko OS.

Loading off a hard drive requires one additional step (installing a custom "driver"--this is not the actual term used but just to explain it to you as someone who has never used Homebrew before, it's basically a driver--to allow mounting USB storage) but it is pretty much just as simple and <10 minutes extra work.

For any further discussion on how to make Homebrew work, move it to the Homebrew thread. I suspect that in a few months when the EU release comes out someone will start a thread with specific, running out-of-region only, instructions.

OK thanks :) If the game doesn't come over I really hope this isn't that expensive of a deal.

Also really nice that they made a Tales of Symphonia: DotNW hack too since I don't own those other games (not even Brawl) :x

pgtl_10

I was hoping this was a done deal but it has become quite clear to me that NOA really does not like giving US gamers games that are different from typical Nintendo games such Mario and Wii titles.

Curufinwe

Here is another option for importing. I bought the EU versions of Pro Evolution Soccer 5 & 6 from these guys a few years ago.

http://www.cdwow.us/games/Wii-91

I've never used homebrew on any system, but if NoA are going to continue to hold out on us I might just have to start with the Wii.

well, since it seems this game is not going to come to noa and i've never imported a game before, where do you who have previous experience doing so suggest someone would buy the game from europe? i know amazon apparently won't sell video games to different regions and that's probably the number one place i buy console games online.

edit: damn, as i was typing up my post the post above me appeared, sorry.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pyrokai said:
Same. Really didn't want to have to mod my Wii.....REALLY didn't want to :(

They haven't updated in the firmware in a year, so there's no worry about "slipping behind" on versions. It takes 5 minutes. It's easy to remove if you want to. You can still play games on disc, there's no negative consequences. It carries no risk of destroying your console and in fact the people who do the homebrew have consistently demonstrated an excellent understanding of the console's technical workings to the point that they openly demonstrate and fix bugs or stability issues Nintendo themselves did.

Zwei

RPGCrazied said:
So shipping to like Texas would be like $25 dollars?

What? No.

If you're importing a game from Europe with $25 shipping, you've done something incredibly wrong. But be aware that your bank might also charge a fee for currency conversion. :(

Pyrokai

Stumpokapow said:
They haven't updated in the firmware in a year, so there's no worry about "slipping behind" on versions. It takes 5 minutes. It's easy to remove if you want to. You can still play games on disc, there's no negative consequences. It carries no risk of destroying your console and in fact the people who do the homebrew have consistently demonstrated an excellent understanding of the console's technical workings to the point that they openly demonstrate and fix bugs or stability issues Nintendo themselves did.

That's really nice to hear, but it still gives me an uneasy feeling......sigh.....

I wonder if I should abandon all hope for these games, though........

Top Bottom