• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles announced for Europe (dual language voice)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Installing a homebrew channel sounds complicated, but I'm computer stupid. I hope when I put forth a real effort to do it, its not as hard as I think it is.

pgtl_10

Pyrokai said:
That's really nice to hear, but it still gives me an uneasy feeling......sigh.....

I wonder if I should abandon all hope for these games, though........

Also i believe the Smash stack hack is actually usuable for all updates because there is no way for Nintendo to stop it.

truly101 said:
Installing a homebrew channel sounds complicated, but I'm computer stupid. I hope when I put forth a real effort to do it, its not as hard as I think it is.

Honestly, most of the time there's just scary talk on the screen warning you about any potential concerns, and a prompt to press A or 1 at. Just follow the directions step-by-step and you'll be fine.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
It's easy to remove if you want to. You can still play games on disc, there's no negative consequences.

Did they fix the issue with how Nintendo support was able to tell how a "cleaned" Wii had had homebrew on it?

If there's any chance at all of Nintendo being able/willing to move DLC Wii games to Wii U, it'll have to be a truly clean system. If you're not worried about that, then, yeah, no negative consequences.

I've decided to just not worry about the possibility since having the option with homebrew is worth it to me. Also since Nintendo consoles last, I shouldn't be "losing" games down the road. It might be an issue for others, though. Amir0x has mentioned concern about it in the past, for example.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
donny2112 said:
If there's any chance at all of Nintendo being able/willing to move DLC Wii games to Wii U, it'll have to be a truly clean system. If you're not worried about that, then, yeah, no negative consequences.
It may not be possible to transfer anything to Wii U... but if there is, then it would be based on what they know you've downoaded from them... not what youve loaded on your Wii (officially or otherwise).

I believe it's also been proven that if you send a hacked Wii into Nintendo, they delete the homebrew channel and send it back.

I know better safe than sorry.... but so far in years of hacking Wii, Nintendo has never banned or penalized a user. They might declare your warranty null if they see homebrew and don't want to repair it for free for whatever reason.. but that's probably expired anyway. They will take your repair fee as normal, otherwise.

kunonabi

Is there any issue with ordering a Pal Wii? In terms of power cords or anything? I'd rather just buy a UK Wii if possible.

kunonabi said:
Is there any issue with ordering a Pal Wii? In terms of power cords or anything? I'd rather just buy a UK Wii if possible.
The main issue you'll have is finding someone willing to ship the thing to America (they're heavy). As for power cords. Easy. Take your US plug with brick* and plug that in the back, plug component cable in (if you can't use component you're stuck with shitty composite as PAL Wiis do not use S-Video and for this reason alone I'd go homebrew) and sensor bar. N64 and Gamecube are the same (except N64 you can use S-video on PAL system). The power brick does the voltage conversion (though the N64 one is slightly odd being in the back of the system).

*-I mean AC adaptor to call it by the proper name.

Possibly the only issue you'll have is having to blind navigate menus until you get to a point of being able to set it to 480p (as a fresh PAL Wii is 576i @ 25FPS no matter what cable you have plugged in, sometime during the first boot you can change that), IIRC the remotes force feedback is a boon for this.

donny2112 said:
Did they fix the issue with how Nintendo support was able to tell how a "cleaned" Wii had had homebrew on it?
The issue is mostly a user based on. hackmii managed to get a partial copy of the disc they use (as it uses the NAND as RAM or something so a NAND dump had bits of it leftover). Basically it searches for saves/tickets to things you shouldn't have. Not specifically homebrew channel but ones that are fakesigned so basically pirated channels. Homebrew channel uses a different, non-disclosed method to have install permission.

If you only install the homebrew channel you only need to uninstall the channel and you're settled really. To be honest I think the fee is there if you mess up your Wii something bad by installing all kinds of crap as it makes the repair far more complicated than it should be.

Gvaz

Banned
It's nice that they're releasing it in europe (good) but not releasing it in USA (bad).

I don't and there's tons of other people who also will either:

Never know about the game
Refuse to import

I probably won't get it till it gets an actual release here in the states.

Sagitario

Stumpokapow said:
At this point it's probably best to start moving some of the heavy lifting over to the GAF homebrew thread. Here's the thread.

To sincerely answer your question, though, in the mean time:
- First, you need a way to run Homebrew on your Wii. To do this, you will install a program called "Homebrew Channel". This is a base of operations from which you can launch any other Homebrew.
- To install this, you need a game to trigger an exploit. On a 4.3 US Wii this is Lego Indiana Jones, Super Smash Bros Brawl, or some dumb Yugioh game. Instructions on how to trigger the install vary depending on which game you choose, and you will find your answer in that thread.
- Once you've installed Homebrew Channel, you install Gecko OS and use it to launch region free games. You can either manually install Gecko OS, or install a program called Homebrew Browser which is basically like a Wii Shop Channel for homebrew. If you're not planning on trying random homebrew, probably just install Gecko OS.
- You're done. Some PAL games require you to set a simple "Force NTSC Video" switch in the program itself. This takes a fraction of a second.

So in total you download:
- Homebrew Channel
- An exploit for the appropriate game to install Homebrew Channel
- Gecko OS.

Loading off a hard drive requires one additional step (installing a custom "driver"--this is not the actual term used but just to explain it to you as someone who has never used Homebrew before, it's basically a driver--to allow mounting USB storage) but it is pretty much just as simple and <10 minutes extra work.

For any further discussion on how to make Homebrew work, move it to the Homebrew thread. I suspect that in a few months when the EU release comes out someone will start a thread with specific, running out-of-region only, instructions.

Is there any extra steps for making other region games run from the HDD instead of the disc [Gecko doesn't read the HDD, right?]?
I am planning to import Pikmin 2 and Xenoblade.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sagitario said:
Is there any extra steps for making other region games run from the HDD instead of the disc [Gecko doesn't read the HDD, right?]?
I am planning to import Pikmin 2 and Xenoblade.

Gecko does not read the HDD. You need to install a cIOS (like I said, a custom driver) in order to be able to read off the USB hard drive. Then you install a USB Loader (GAF's favourite, Configurable USB Loader, is probably the best). It would take an additional 5-10 minutes on top of the existing stuff you'd have to do to get it running off a disc. Once inside the USB loader, there's no difference between an in-region and out-of-region game. Some PAL games require you to force NTSC video as well, but this is a one-button setting.

Like I said, further discussion on the exact howto is available in that Wiki and better discussed here in the Wii Homebrew thread.

Sagitario

Stumpokapow said:
Gecko does not read the HDD. You need to install a cIOS (like I said, a custom driver) in order to be able to read off the USB hard drive. Then you install a USB Loader (GAF's favourite, Configurable USB Loader, is probably the best). It would take an additional 5-10 minutes on top of the existing stuff you'd have to do to get it running off a disc. Once inside the USB loader, there's no difference between an in-region and out-of-region game. Some PAL games require you to force NTSC video as well, but this is a one-button setting.

Like I said, further discussion on the exact howto is available in that Wiki and better discussed here in the Wii Homebrew thread.

Then I am set as I already run my games from a HDD :D

Starwolf_UK said:
As for power cords. Easy. Take your US plug with brick* and plug that in the back, plug component cable in... The power brick does the voltage conversion (though the N64 one is slightly odd being in the back of the system).

I didn't know that :O
The DSi/3DS ones don't make any voltage conversion, right?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Can someone explain how to do steps 2-5 in the installation process from this link

http://gwht.wikidot.com/launch

I've downloaded the two things, I know how to unzip, but all this copying and renaming root folders, I have no idea where you access this stuff. It may as well be in chinese.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So I did the steps and it failed (I'm using Smash Brothers) Here is what I have no idea to do

1. Format the SD card to FAT16 or FAT32

2. Copy boot.elf to sd:/boot.elf I have no idea how to access the SD card root directory

3. Delete or rename any boot.dol file in the root directory

4. Connect the SD card to your computer and rename the "private" folder to "privateold" in the root of the SD card.

5. Copy the "private" folder from the Smash Stack download to the root of the SD card

I have no idea how to do any of this. It needs to be explained to someone who only uses a PC to surf the net, because thats all I do with it (cept work). I am computer stupid.

Luigi87

When the time comes, I shall definitely import this.

Originally I installed USB Loader to prepare for ToG, but since that's now a non-issue with ToGF for PS3, this will work!

...Though I still wish I could get it locally and install... =(

pgtl_10 said:
I was hoping this was a done deal but it has become quite clear to me that NOA really does not like giving US gamers games that are different from typical Nintendo games such Mario and Wii titles.
I'm fine with NOA passing on stuff themselves, but they really REALLY need to open and let other publishers pick up the games then. And they actually used to do this (Cubivore, Polarium Advance) so I don't understand what changed? I bet companies like Atlus or Xseed or Aksys or whoever would leap at the chance to publish games like Xenoblade, Disaster, Another Code R, ASH, Last Window, Jam eith the Band, etc. Plus, they're all ALREADY IN ENGLISH!

pgtl_10

lunchwithyuzo said:
I'm fine with NOA passing on stuff themselves, but they really REALLY need to open and let other publishers pick up the games then. And they actually used to do this (Cubivore, Polarium Advance) so I don't understand what changed? I bet companies like Atlus or Xseed or Aksys or whoever would leap at the chance to publish games like Xenoblade, Disaster, Another Code R, ASH, Last Window, Jam eith the Band, etc. Plus, they're all ALREADY IN ENGLISH!

It's insane that NOA has a small release list but refuses to publish what they have.

Diffense

pgtl_10 said:
It's insane that NOA has a small release list but refuses to publish what they have.

It's CRAZY.
I simply cannot comprehend this...blows my mind.
It's the first time in my many years of owning Nintendo home consoles that I truly feel like I don't need another one from them any time soon.
What's the point? To stare at it?

pgtl_10

Diffense said:
It's CRAZY.
It's the first time in my many years of owning Nintendo home consoles that I truly feel like I don't need another one from them any time soon.

I kind of agree. I also never cared for the graphical advantages. I want games that they have yet to release. In my mind I still have a lot of Wii games I want to play and what is the point of WiiU if Nintendo refuses to deliver different games and third parties still won't a Nintendo with any serious support?

matmanx1

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere but what's the best place to import this game and probably Solatarobo to the US from? I know NCSX does some Europe to US imports but are there some other options that are just as good or better?

Xenoblade is definitely high on my list of wanted games this year and I'm not going to miss out on a chance to play it in English!

pgtl_10 said:
I kind of agree. I also never cared for the graphical advantages. I want games that they have yet to release. In my mind I still have a lot of Wii games I want to play and what is the point of WiiU if Nintendo refuses to deliver different games and third parties still won't a Nintendo with any serious support?

Yep. Especially if the Wii U is more like the PS3 or 360 when it comes to online functionality, hacking it to play imports might be more difficult, or get your system banned from the network.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I still can't believe that NCL is willing to fund this localization but only release it in Europe. It makes no sense at all. Did anybody ask them about the game at E3? I would love to know how the people at Monolith feel about their games being dicked around with.

kiryogi

Banned
Ushojax said:
I still can't believe that NCL is willing to fund this localization but only release it in Europe. It makes no sense at all. Did anybody ask them about the game at E3? I would love to know how the people at Monolith feel about their games being dicked around with.

Reggie dodged the question like a boss. Just accept the fact you're going to to have to import the European version.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So am I the only one who thinks it'll be kinda kewl if this stays import-only? Like, you'll have your nerdy friends over and they'll be like "wtf is that," and you'll be like "the best game you never played, 'tard."

That's how imports usually work, at least.

I dunno... I'm just not that inclined to be outraged so long as I can play it in English.

Eusis

Chacranajxy said:
So am I the only one who thinks it'll be kinda kewl if this stays import-only? Like, you'll have your nerdy friends over and they'll be like "wtf is that," and you'll be like "the best game you never played, 'tard."

That's how imports usually work, at least.

I dunno... I'm just not that inclined to be outraged so long as I can play it in English.
Usually those neat games are also still in Japanese and probably had no chance of success here. That, and I'd really rather just pay $50 or less than pay extra for useless bragging rights.

Chacranajxy said:
Those are the simple pleasures of Americans I guess. :lol

As a European I don't see much prestige in importing. That's just what you have to do since the early days of videogaming. It's inconvenient and sometimes expensive.

Ushojax

kiryogi said:
Reggie dodged the question like a boss. Just accept the fact you're going to to have to import the European version.

Nah, I'm in the UK so I won't have to bother. I have a US and a UK Wii so I'm covered.

I would love to hear from one of the executives why America seems to miss so many of the 'mature' games. Another Code R, Last Window, Disaster, Xenoblade, maybe they just aren't inoffensive enough. Hard to believe this same company once published Eternal Darkness.

Effect

The more I think about this game and the situation around it (along with The Last Story), which is most likely not healthy at all, the less excited I get about the Wii U. If this is how Nintendo is going to act now then I see no reason to believe they'll act differently in the future. I'm starting to feel there is no reason to believe them when they say or suggest they are trying to "win back" the core or stop the core they have from leaving. Bah.

Zwei

Effect said:
The more I think about this game and the situation around it (along with The Last Story), which is most likely not healthy at all, the less excited I get about the Wii U. If this is how Nintendo is going to act now then I see no reason to believe they'll act differently in the future. I'm starting to feel there is no reason to believe them when they say or suggest they are trying to "win back" the core or stop the core they have from leaving. Bah.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

there must be some "Disaster Day"-reason why you americans don't get the game.
it really makes NO sense at all otherwise.

something in xenobaldes must
a) hurt some feelings
b) be illegal by U.S. laws

I don't get it

iamaustrian said:
there must be some "Disaster Day"-reason why you americans don't get the game.
it really makes NO sense at all otherwise.

something in xenobaldes must
a) hurt some feelings
b) be illegal by U.S. laws

I don't get it
We're not Sweden. We don't ban video games here. This is 100% Nintendo.

Korigama

Effect said:
Zwei said:
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Going to have to agree with this as well (I honestly have no reason to believe that Wii U will be successful at catering to core users at this point in time).

shadyspace said:
We're not Sweden. We don't ban video games here. This is 100% Nintendo.

but Nintendo is also serious business
and it makes zero sense to finance an expensive translation(even in several diff languages) of a super-mammut RPG and not release it in the biggest videogame market

something is fishy here.

what did Reggie exactly say about this issue?
afaik there are gaffers who finished the game. maybe they can name a possible reason why.

Yuterald

Effect said:

100% agree with this. I've been essentially stating this in various threads related to Nintendo/Xenoblade and their lack of localized Japanese NA support.

Korigama said:
Going to have to agree with this as well (I honestly have no reason to believe that Wii U will be successful at catering to core users at this point in time).
It's kind of amazing that the world's largest VG publisher doesn't see the value of publishing games in their largest market. It didn't make much sense when the Wii was selling like hotcakes and their attitude was "why release games when the system sells without them?" and it makes even less sense now.

Xenoblade's is released in 3 months in EU so maybe NoA just doesn't feel the need to announce the game for a NA release yet because it'd still take a little time to release it in NA, and it's an RPG so they don't feel the need to announce it a couple months in advance. DQMJ2 was announced during E3 and it's releasing in 2 months...

Ushojax

Bel Marduk said:
Xenoblade's is released in 3 months in EU so maybe NoA just doesn't feel the need to announce the game for a NA release yet because it'd still take a little time to release it in NA, and it's an RPG so they don't feel the need to announce it a couple months in advance. DQMJ2 was announced during E3 and it's releasing in 2 months...

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that they could still release it. It just seems so strange not to mention it at E3. If it does come to the US will be in 2012, if at all.

Soroc

Diffense said:
It's CRAZY.

These words have never rang more true.

I really feel burned by NOA and don't really want to resort to homebrewing but will if I have to because its the one game besides skyward sword I've really really wanted to play before packing up my wii for good.

Starting to wonder if NOA hates Monolith Soft.

I mean, both of their Wii games (Disaster and Xenoblade) have been passed up for American release in spite of a) already being fully in English, and b) being released around opportune gaps in the release schedule (Disaster was Fall of 08, with Animal Crossing and Wii Music, NOA hasn't released shit since Mario Sports Mix back in FEBRUARY).

I mean sure you could argue that NOA passed on Disaster because it was a bad game (and general impressions seem to be it was mediocre), but I thought Xenoblade sold and reviewed well in Japan, and it could easily serve to tide people over until DQX and Skyward Sword are released.

It's not that Wii doesn't have games it's that Nintendo refuses to release anything besides their main staples (Mario Zelda Pokemon etc.) in America, except for shit like Glory of Heracles.

Effect

Don't understand the Glory of Heracles situation. There were DS games people were interested in that NoA had to know had buzz around them or might do well. I doubt anyone outside of Japan save a insignificantly number (if even that) even knew about Glory of Heracles (series) let alone desired it. It doesn't even compare well against other DS/GBA rpgs, Nintendo or otherwise. There is something wrong at NoA and I wonder (conspiracy hat on) if someone there is purposefully sabotaging things.

Big One

Banned
sv7LD.jpg

What exactly is this, Xenoblade fans?

Remember seeing this in some TV ads a long time ago. Is this a character featured in the game or something?

Deadbeat

Banned
Effect said:
There is something wrong at NoA and I wonder (conspiracy hat on) if someone there is purposefully sabotaging things.
Its been going on since the failure of Earthbound in the US (which had everything to do with the marketing and NONE with the game itself).

squall23

Big One said:
What exactly is this, Xenoblade fans?

Remember seeing this in some TV ads a long time ago. Is this a character featured in the game or something?
Yes, it's one of the girls from AKB48 cosplaying as one of the characters for a commercial.

Top Bottom