• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Hyllian

This is the result of my last work in shaders for Snes9x-PS3. A good article about this kind of work is here.

5xBR-v1.1 (for comparison with the last one.)

5xBR-v1-1 + sharpen-lighter2 (Effect Multiple Layers)

5xBR-v2

Toby

I haven't updated multiman in quite a while. With new versions, do I still need my external HDD formatted FAT32, or will everything function fine with it formatted to NTFS?

Hyllian said:
This is the result of my last work in shaders for Snes9x-PS3. A good article about this kind of work is here

Very, very interesting stuff here, excellent work. I have to say, though, I think hq4x produces an image that's more faithful to the original, at least based on the material on this page. Is this open source? Any plans on improving it?

Hyllian

Zombie James said:
Very, very interesting stuff here, excellent work. I have to say, though, I think hq4x produces an image that's more faithful to the original, at least based on the material on this page. Is this open source? Any plans on improving it?
The xBR shader isn't intended to produce that bump effect. I got it combining with the second shader (sharpening). So, the first and last raw of images are more faithful to what this shader is intended. Snes9x-PS3 can use two shaders in two passes. For now, it has more than 80 shaders available that can be combined among them to make 80x80=6400 possible graphical enhancements (though only a small portion is useful).

Really, it's interesting how xBR looks so similar to hq4x. My goal was different and yet I reached similar results.

HQ4x implementation works with a fixed lookup table to recognize patterns. It uses a highpass filter too, which blends lowres pixel regions.

My goal with xBR was to set rules (BR=By Rules) to recognize patterns without burring unresolved pixels. I don't use a lookup table, neither a highpass filter. This is a WIP shader, because I'm constantly studying new rules to insert. And yes, it's open source and is available on PS3 emulators. For now, there are 5 versions: v1, v1.1, v2, v2.1 and v2.2, each with its ruleset. If I find the golden ruleset ever, I'll get rid of those versions and release only one.

Zeth

Couldn't find this in the OP. If I buy a new Slim in the next few weeks around E3 (hoping for price drop) will it come with FW 3.55?

New Showtime build is really great. It no longer says "CPU not fast enough to render stream" all the time and the subtitle rendering looks nice. I think at last the PS3 might be a worthy media center.

Mainline

Zeth said:
Couldn't find this in the OP. If I buy a new Slim in the next few weeks around E3 (hoping for price drop) will it come with FW 3.55?

I bought a slim 2 weeks ago and it had 3.41 installed on it.

squicken

I NEED SCISSORS said:
New Showtime build is really great. It no longer says "CPU not fast enough to render stream" all the time and the subtitle rendering looks nice. I think at last the PS3 might be a worthy media center.

How do 720p and 1080p MKVs perform?

squicken said:
How do 720p and 1080p MKVs perform?

It was a 720p MKV I was using. Funnily enough, after making that post, it did get a bit picky - such as an occasional weird frame transition every ~5-10 minutes, and pausing for a while seemed to fuck it up completely. It ain't perfect, but it's improving. At least subs are in sync now..

squicken

I NEED SCISSORS said:
It was a 720p MKV I was using. Funnily enough, after making that post, it did get a bit picky - such as an occasional weird frame transition every ~5-10 minutes, and pausing for a while seemed to fuck it up completely. It ain't perfect, but it's improving. At least subs are in sync now..

Hopefully he keeps plugging away at it. The things people did with XBMC were incredible. Hope the PS3 gets that kind of action

Reallink

Toby said:
I haven't updated multiman in quite a while. With new versions, do I still need my external HDD formatted FAT32, or will everything function fine with it formatted to NTFS?

NTFS works, but it's a fairly involved set up--not plug and play like FAT. You have to find your external HDD's vendor and product ID's (buried in Window's menus), add them to a config file in a very specific manner, transfer that config file to a specific location on your PS3's HDD, and manually activate NTFS mode through MM with a button combination.

N.A

Banned
Reallink said:
NTFS works, but it's a fairly involved set up--not plug and play like FAT. You have to find your external HDD's vendor and product ID's (buried in Window's menus), add them to a config file in a very specific manner, transfer that config file to a specific location on your PS3's HDD, and manually activate NTFS mode through MM with a button combination.

Also NTFS support is only for file management, you can't mount games.

Cloak

This may be a silly question, but is there a way in CFW to reorganize the order in which items appear under the game menu? Like if you wanted to move your FTP program to the bottom of the list under Showtime?

Shaneus said:
Any hints? YT is blocked at work :(

Someone added a simple shader effect to an SMB game. (3 I think, or Mario World or something)

When Mario jumps in the water.. the screen get's wet.. then drips away.

Pretty cool.. they call it "game aware shaders".. so an emulator that allows you to load some sort of file on top of the ROM file that adds shader affects, and I'm assuming some sort of API or data format for defining what happens when. It's clever, but nothing really THAT exciting IMO ;)

richisawesome said:
An effect that looks like it'll irritate me and clash with the original game.

Haha.. I was thinking the same thing..

It's the kind of effect I could do without in just about any game.. let alone the fact that it makes no sense in a 3rd person game.

Rich!

nVidiot_Whore said:
Haha.. I was thinking the same thing..

It's the kind of effect I could do without in just about any game.. let alone the fact that it makes no sense in a 3rd person game.

Mario jumps into the water...and SPLASHES IT ALL OVER THE CAMERA!

No. I'd rather not have that.

Shaneus

richisawesome said:
Mario jumps into the water...and SPLASHES IT ALL OVER THE CAMERA!

No. I'd rather not have that.
So it can be used to call external effects. I'm guessing it won't be far off until it can perform rumble. THAT will be a game changer, guaranteed.

angelfly said:
You post on GAF and can't tell SMB3 from SMW?

Hah.. I was actually a kid when those games released. I knew every pixel of SMB 1 and 2... games like Metroid or Zelda.. hell.. I had several 24 digit Metroid save codes memorized for various awesome parts of the game.

But by the time 1990 rolled around most of my gaming time was being spent tinkering on PC's. I all but forgot about consoles outside of the multiplayer games I enjoyed with friends.. which were mainly sports games back then.

edit: lol, you edited that out.. I look insane now.

I'm fine with that.

thuway

I don't know what we're all discussing right now but, someone just released an English language patch for El Shaddai :-O.

besiktas1

thuway said:
I don't know what we're all discussing right now but, someone just released an English language patch for El Shaddai :-O.
See stuff like this is what I want to see from CFW. won't import this particular game but still it is good news for some...

Chesskid1

Banned
thuway said:

just read about this on psx-scene. translated into 5 langs, wtf? must be a game short on text. pretty cool to see the first fan translation of a game, even though it's a game i've never heard of.

thuway

besiktas1 said:
See stuff like this is what I want to see from CFW. won't import this particular game but still it is good news for some...

I just want my Vesperia Patch. I'll stop bitching altogether. It sucks though, now I own two ps3s. One to do all this cool shit with, and the other to play my Unkartdz, Kllzonez, and everything else online.

Someone got the Infamous 2 working on 3.55... Just wanted to share with the other CFW users. Some guy got the game early and over at a famous scene forum, a guy made it work.

I just saw the video of Infamous 2 playing on cfw 3.55. That's great. All the big games are ending up playable so far. I hope work is progressing on a new cfw though.

Maddog said:
So have they discussed how Infamous 2 is working on 3.55? Surely they haven't released a patch for it already.

Yes they released the modified eboot. also they put up videos of it. I don't know if it would be right to put it here so i will send you a pm about it.

valentine71 said:
Yes they released the modified eboot. also they put up videos of it. I don't know if it would be right to put it here so i will send you a pm about it.

Typically that doesn't work with 3.60 games though, so the game must have been signed with 3.55 keys.

BoboBrazil said:
Typically that doesn't work with 3.60 games though, so the game must have been signed with 3.55 keys.

Yep possibly, but i am too drunk and lazy to read how they did. Anyway i am glad they made it work, i am so excited about the game.

Edit: it seems that they used debug update and modified Eboot. I guess update carries 3.56 eboot or something so they have been able to fix it.

jonnyp

Quick question regarding blu-ray region "free" playback:

As I understand it, right now we have to check what region the blu-ray disc is and then manually run a small patch to switch the PS3 to the correct region before playing the disc right?

Is there any development that will make this automatic in the future? Like disc region detection, patching and then playing back the movie automotically?

Thanks in advance!

Zoe

Wax Free Vanilla said:
so the debug eboot for infamous 2 was unsigned allowing people to sign it with 3.41 and 3.55 keys.

a total fuck up by sucker punch.

How common is it to find debug eboots for games?

Chesskid1

Banned
Shaneus said:
So it can be used to call external effects. I'm guessing it won't be far off until it can perform rumble. THAT will be a game changer, guaranteed.

squarepusher2 on the future of his SNES emulator

OK guys, in my test build I'm already playing with Game Aware Shading. It already works.

Now we have to get the config stuff just right.

So basically - very shortly from now on you have a very real 'meta script' engine with which to do all sorts of funky stuff with your SNES games. It will be the equivalent of the N64 high resolution texture packs except much, much better - and it will be limited only by your imagination.

I read some sardonic comments on *some forum* that implied this was only about 'overlaying' background files on top of the screen - like Call of Duty-style 'tint the screen red'. Nah son, it's about much more than that - imagine being able to apply shaders in/out that add a water ripple effect - or add HDR - or that darkens the screen - or, let's say that you press the Start button while you're playing Killer Instinct and the screen fades out and on the right hand side of the screen you get a page from the manual with the move list for that specific character.

Or, let's say that we have something like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (yeah, that's right - this system doesn't only work for SNES) and we have these really low-res backgrounds - imagine if we could swap that out with really high-res 1920x1080 backgrounds.

In Super Metroid - we could show a map on the right hand side of the screen that would be updated in real-time while the game is still playing - with Samus' position also indicated on that map.

Even better, later on I'm going to introduce PSP subdisplay support so you can actually show that map on your PSP screen and use the PSP as a gamepad. So you will have something like the VMU except much better - the map from Super Metroid will be displayed on your PSP screen while you play with the PSP as a controller - with the game still being outputted on the HDTV.

Yeah, that's right, that's the amount of customization that this thing affords us, and that's what I'm going to be aiming at.

This 'jump in the water and a waterdrop PNG gets applied + water ripple effect' - that is only the beginning. That took exactly half an hour of work or perhaps even less for Themaister. A 'POC' is just that - a POC - it doesn't mean - here is where the buck stops.

What do you need to start cranking out these 'game shading aware' scripts? You need to know which RAM values to look for (romhacking.net guides will prove very useful from now on) and you have to know how to program shaders.

Chesskid1

Banned
Even better, later on I'm going to introduce PSP subdisplay support so you can actually show that map on your PSP screen and use the PSP as a gamepad. So you will have something like the VMU except much better - the map from Super Metroid will be displayed on your PSP screen while you play with the PSP as a controller - with the game still being outputted on the HDTV.

just wanted to quote this by itself. if he achieves this, i don't even know what to say. gdamn amazing.

Top Bottom