• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Beta : Impressions and Discussion

LEGGZZZZ

LEGGZZZZ said:
Ahh, thanks for the response, I'm just worried about the map count for 16 players to be honest, but your reply puts me at ease.

One questions I do have, does Resistance 3 support custom music/soundtracks in multiplayer ala Killzone 3/2? That's the only thing stopping this from being possibly my number 1 Shooter this Gen.

And if not, could it be added in a future patch like Killzone 3?

So, I guessing Resistance 3 does not support it since you skipped over my question? :(

Oh well, day one regardless.

patsu

jstevenson said:
Fixing lag and server issues is of course, top priority.

There are many more maps than just four. We have two more major maps which haven't been revealed as they'd show story based locations that we don't want to show, plus several more smaller maps pulled from the campaign.

In short, there is plenty of variety in the maps of the game.

Lag is gone today. Was playing alone with randoms. Weird !

Encountered another "Phucked Chain Reaction" mode.

Game started normally. Announcer told us to capture the objectives. Captured points took slightly longer to appear. I went into our objective room and there was no torch. All the objective icons were locked. Played it like TDM. The torches appeared at some point but I don't know when since I was long gone from the rooms.

The game never ended. When I left people were still raking up kills. Human again had like 4 billion+ points (I didn't really count the number of digits).

LEGGZZZZ

Also wanted to bring this to your attention in regards to feedback for Chain Reaction:

From the Beta Forum

So, to sum it up:
Chain Reaction should be a timed match. The match would either end by the timer running out, or when a team manages to complete the match's objective. In case the timer runs out, the winning team is decided based on a point system: points are given to a team based on how long they held a CP, and also on defensive kills (kills that earn you the "Defender" ribbon). I think that, this way, it would be possible to have players still going for kills, while focused on the objective, instead of mindlessly going around shooting others.

I agree with this completely, as it is right now, Chain Reaction is more of a team deathmatch at times, instead of being a objective mode. I hope it is not too late to implement changes being about a week from release. Anyone else agree?

patsu

Pikma said:
Who's that "Pikma"? I heard she was good. :O

Today I realized I'm a pretty bad sniper. :(

MuseManMike said:
I hope Insomniac doesn't pull some EA shit the first week... get extra server space so people who actually bought your game new can enjoy it. Regardless, it should be fun with a GAF party vs. randoms.

Ha ha, it's actually pretty fun fighting against Gaffers too. Got in late in a game yesterday (?) and played against pwonager, Pikma, vMR_Xv, and someone else ( forgot who ! Was it you ? ).

patsu

LEGGZZZZ said:
I agree with this completely, as it is right now, Chain Reaction is more of a team deathmatch at times, instead of being a objective mode. I hope it is not too late to implement changes being about a week from release. Anyone else agree?

If they play it like TDM, and the other team stay focused. The game will be over in 3 minutes.

LEGGZZZZ

Loudninja said:
It does not matter what they do, people will still try and turn every mode into a deathmatch.

True, but encouraging it with a kill/death limit sure doesn't help things much. I think domination type scoring makes way more sense, so does a time limit.

If they play it like TDM, and the other team stay focused. The game will be over in 3 minutes.

That's true, but this is more for competitive games with two goods teams trying to win, not every match is a steam role. I've played tons of matches where neither team captured all the beacons, so instead the team who killed the most won. Does not make sense in a objective mode.

Loudninja

LEGGZZZZ said:
True, but encouraging it with a kill/death limit sure doesn't help things much. I think domination type scoring makes way more sense, so does a time limit.
Yeah it just makesangry to see this garbage, thats why I going to play mostly with people on my frinds list and GAF.

patsu

That's not quite true. The tie breaker is the point total, which includes the number of kills, assists _and_ total number of captures. Capture has the most points.

It seems that duration of capture matters too, but I am less sure here.

LEGGZZZZ

patsu said:
That's not quite true. The tie breaker is the point total, which includes the number of kills, assists _and_ total number of captures. Capture has the most points.

It seems that duration of capture matters too, but I am less sure here.

Even with all that taken into consideration, you still think the scoring system makes sense? If anything, the fact it is judged by all those factors makes the scoring system sound worse imo.

It should use simple domination type scoring ala Cod domination and Killzone 2/3, why would you use kills and assists to help judge the winning team in a territory game?

patsu

It's inevitable if the number and duration of (re)captures is a tie too. Most of my games end up with a completion. When playing solo, I usually have the most number of captures and scores although my kills may not be the highest. ^_^

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I need to stop playing the beta now before I lose interest in the MP component of the main game.

There are little things IG could do to improve the visuals, especially fix that awful animation which really ruins the immersion.

patsu

I thought the same everyday but still continue to play. 8^P

I need to master weapon switching though. Always forget to switch until it's too late.

LEGGZZZZ

Just thought of another thing in the beta that needs tweaking, the MAP VOTE function after a game ends and moves on to another match/level. I don't know how many times I've been stuck playing the same map because no one knew how to vote for the next one, or that is was even necessary.

I think you need to simplify it more, make it more noticeable and obvious, and automatically put a new map into rotation, so players who vote are stuck on the same map because the other players don't even realize you have to vote for the next map.

Pikma

Banned
jstevenson said:
keep your eye out tomorrow

Yay, the good news about this game keep coming and coming. I love you, IG. :D

patsu said:
Ha ha, it's actually pretty fun fighting against Gaffers too. Got in late in a game yesterday (?) and played against pwonager, Pikma, vMR_Xv, and someone else ( forgot who ! Was it you ? ).

Wasn't yesterday, I didn't play any game yesterday. :p

Lastly:

ALERT
There are cheaters in the Beta now (what's wrong with those people, really?), or at least one, his PSN ID is ChrmedOne or something like that, me and pwonager ran into him and lost a match against his team (we were 5-6, they were 3-4) because he was a bullet sponge, we wasted whole clips on him, I wasted a full Atomizer charge on him, then used melee on him two times and it wasn't enough. He left after the match, of course. So if anyone see him up there on the leaderboard by a big margin, don't doubt he's cheating and report him, please. :)

patsu

Pikma said:
Yay, the good news about this game keep coming and coming. I love you, IG. :D

Wasn't yesterday, I didn't play any game yesterday. :p

Lastly:

ALERT
There are cheaters in the Beta now (what's wrong with those people, really?), or at least one, his PSN ID is ChrmedOne or something like that, me and pwonager ran into him and lost a match against his team (we were 5-6, they were 3-4) because he was a bullet sponge, we wasted whole clips on him, I wasted a full Atomizer charge on him, then used melee on him two times and it wasn't enough. He left after the match, of course. So if anyone see him up there on the leaderboard by a big margin, don't doubt he's cheating and report him, please. :)

Ha ha, me and my memory.

I also saw a dude walk in the air and another one drop behind a wall surrounding the Seaside map. Also met members from a few familiar RFOM clans. Glad to know we will be fighting them again. Very awesome teams.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Whenever I join the chatroom, there are only 4 or 5 guys online. Pwon and a few other guys, when do you guys play anyway?

patsu

The chatroom usually has 2-11 people, but not all are R3 fans. ^_^

I think the folks I played with are in US timezone.

I play after office hours... 7pm PST or so.
Sometimes I play in the morning too. About 7 or 8am.

Meisadragon said:
I need to stop playing the beta now before I lose interest in the MP component of the main game.

There are little things IG could do to improve the visuals, especially fix that awful animation which really ruins the immersion.

Think it's kind of late for them to fix most of the visual stuff or add in any new animations.

Cornbread78

patsu said:
Ha ha, me and my memory.

I also saw a dude walk in the air and another one drop behind a wall surrounding the Seaside map. Also met members from a few familiar RFOM clans. Glad to know we will be fighting them again. Very awesome teams.

I still saw a bunch of airwalkers over the weekend, and a couple lag switchers as well... Which reminds me, JStev, are you guys using Punkbusters or anyone else to monitor this or will it still be a "lag switch friendly" environment?

I ran into a couple fo the classic RFoM clans as well

[DDB] they still don't ever stop talking trash
[(X)] this clas really took off in R2, they are made up of alot of old [oNO] R1 players, no comment in regards to these guys, bit rivalry for specfic reasons....
[501] members, as well as some some of [FU2] R1 members.
In regards to [501] I played a lot with them over the weekend. Good times, good times indeed, lol ; ). Anyway would love to get into more games with GAF for fun. The membes I have on my FL don't play much of the beta right now, I'll be on this week on Tue. Fri and Sat. night. (11pm EST and later). if anyone wants to add me.

I'm still waiting for a lot of answers on the final MP build as well, especially with clan support and game modes. I hope to hear more soon, or we'll just have to wait the week until launch...

Countdown: Until Resistance 3 Release Date:, has 7 day 13 hour 2 min 2 sec.

Cornbread78

patsu said:
And clan [420] !

If the game works with Sharpshooter, then it should work with Move + navcon.

STill debating to buy a sharpshooter and nav. controller to play it with MOVE. Any update to the move controls? Anyone think it's going to be worth it?

Sadly, I do not remember running into a large group of [420] in R1 or R2. Maybe [WAR], [/*\], [aND] [*_*], the ones I mentioned previously and a couple others that used to run in large groups and we went up against, I'll have to look up some old screen pics and see what I can find.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
we will have countermeasures in the final game against lag switch folks.

also, there is a fix coming for skywalking players in 2.05. The server team is also working on getting the last couple lag things out of the way to improve performance, and we specifically moved the abilities/weapons we thought might be generating lag with the server into the beta with the level cap increase so that we could test/adjust/fix for final.

darkwing

jstevenson said:

also, there is a fix coming for skywalking players in 2.05. The server team is also working on getting the last couple lag things out of the way to improve performance, and we specifically moved the abilities/weapons we thought might be generating lag with the server into the beta with the level cap increase so that we could test/adjust/fix for final.

pretty good news js, Sept 6 is very close and i'm still playing the Beta lol

Cornbread78

jstevenson said:

Good deal. I'm hoping there is a way to get rid of the teleporting fools, lol.

Hey jstevenson my wife bought me a 3D tv a few days ago and I know that R3 is going to have 3D support, but I cant find it in the beta. Are there any plans to add it to the beta before it is over? I cant wait to see how great this game looks in 3D.

glaurung

yankeehater said:
Hey jstevenson my wife bought me a 3D tv a few days ago and I know that R3 is going to have 3D support, but I cant find it in the beta. Are there any plans to add it to the beta before it is over? I cant wait to see how great this game looks in 3D.
I think 3D is disabled in the beta. It will be in the final game though.

patsu

jstevenson said:

Woot ! Should have told us earlier to reduce anxiety. I thought the new weapons were to reward us. lol.

patsu

Cornbread78 said:
I think you have been consistant in hating almost everything about this game so far, lol.

The man has fallen out of love. Give him some time to recover. At least he didn't show up in jstevenson's den and cut up all his ties and shirts like my friend's gal did. ^_^

Edit:
Besides, I looked at the video and it's just a random capture of the game with Sharpshooter. Not really inspiring.

Effect

patsu said:
And clan [420] !

If the game works with Sharpshooter, then it should work with Move + navcon.

I have no doubt the Move/Nav controls will be great. They were just fine for Killzone 3. find them fine in MAG but it was an earlier attempt so there aren't as many options. I don't see how a Sony game could screw them up. That would be like Nintendo screwing up Wii motion controls in a game. Still using the sharpshooter to show off motion controls is the problem since it's such an awkward attachment to use. Same goes for the Wii Zapper in anything that isn't a rail shooter. Add to that, that those using it aren't very good at all. So it makes it seem like the pointer controls aren't good. At least that's the conclusions some will come to if they haven't use Move before I fear. There is a difference between using the sharpshooter to show off the controls which is slow, has players having trouble turning, looking around, shooting, and moving and having players quickly and accurately shooting at targets by simply holding the Move controller itself while running around, crouching, etc.

I played a good hour and a half this weekend. I love it. I did notice first thing the resolution seemed a bit low but once I was running around the map and seeing the texture detail and post processing it didn't really bother me.

Resistance 2, the players seemed to be floating around the maps, not alot of detail and the guns just had no impact...

THE GUNS!!! From the sounds to the size of them on the screen, everything seems more grounded and impactful.

I've always prefered killzone or battlefield/teamwork games to CoD or Halo. I think this is kind of best of both worlds. More on the halo side with gameplay.

I just hope there are enough maps on launch...

patsu

I wish they would tell us what exactly has changed from patch to patch.

I can't be sure if the guns were tweaked since the beta began. I could have sworn Carbine feel slightly better now. May be the overall performance improvement helped somehow ?

Pikma

Banned
patsu said:
Woot ! Should have told us earlier to reduce anxiety. I thought the new weapons were to reward us. lol.

They did! it's just that we were too excited to listen to them. :p

Alos, There's a glitch with the Atomizer, sometimes when you reload, the "[ ] Reload" message stays until you change your weapon, I'm pretty sure it only happens with the Atomizer.

patsu

Perhaps the most epic beta-hate phone voicemail on my work voicemail this morning. Almost worth doing a podcast for so I can publish it.

v_v Should include it as an audio log in the campaign. I really would find and listen to it.

patsu

Pikma said:
They did! it's just that we were too excited to listen to them. :p

Alos, There's a glitch with the Atomizer, sometimes when you reload, the "[ ] Reload" message stays until you change your weapon, I'm pretty sure it only happens with the Atomizer.

Excellent ! The more glitches in the Atomizer and the Mutator, the better for me. [sniggle]

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
patsu said:
Nice ! And how many launch day game modes ?

5:

TDM
DM
CTF
Breach
Chain Reaction.

Not all maps support all modes, of course.

We also have some good post-launch support planned - but we'll get into to that next week.

Top Bottom