• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

oatmeal

Banned
For those that wish to grind Zelda II...

A good way to do it is to skip the Heart and Magic ones at first, get your Attack up so you can kill easier.

And if you're in a palace, skip what you can because when you defeat the boss, you get an auto-upgrade to whatever is next (even if it's thousands of points)...so it's best to use that on the highest one you can.

A good place to upgrade is in the swamps in the SW. Those octoroks give 10 each, and there's always five of them on a screen.

Arren

MrCookiepants said:
Man, these games aren't even worth the 4 seconds it takes to download them. Looking forward to the GBA titles though.
Except that's not true and some of these titles, albeit perhaps visually rough at first, are still miles ahead of most contemporary work. They're classics for a reason.

Bjoern the Smexy said:
Downloaded a few of the NES games and I am happy :)

The quicksave function from the Wii VC is back and the games play just as good as they did on the original console.

The only negative point I have is that the screen seems to be horizontally streched just a tiny bit. It makes part of the screen unecessarily blurry.
Aside from that it's 10 NES games I got for free so what am I even complaining about? :D

That is actually the correct way to emulate NES games. The NES hardware only renders in 224 x 240 res and the DA converter inside the NES console stretches the image horizontally to fit a 4 x 3 aspect ratio (256 x 240 being the actual display res)

If you don't stretch it horizontally in the emulator, then the aspect ratio ends up being incorrect (so circles appear as ovals and such)

The SNES does the same trick, so SNES games need to be stretched horizontally too.

lazybones18 said:
First time playing the Yoshi game and it's pretty fun

Fun Fact. Game Freak (The Pokemon guys) made that game!

Just incase anybody wants to be as cool (aka sad) as me then here are the games in chronological release order:

Donkey Kong. Jr
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
Wrecking Crew
Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Zelda II
NES Golf
Mario & Yoshi

:)

MrCookiepants said:
Man, these games aren't even worth the 4 seconds it takes to download them. Looking forward to the GBA titles though.

MrCookiepants

Balloon Fight alone is worthy of 20+ hours.

Peagles

Nuclear Muffin said:
That is actually the correct way to emulate NES games. The NES hardware only renders in 224 x 240 res and the DA converter inside the NES console stretches the image horizontally to fit a 4 x 3 aspect ratio (256 x 240 being the actual display res)

If you don't stretch it horizontally in the emulator, then the aspect ratio ends up being incorrect (so circles appear as ovals and such)

The SNES does the same trick, so SNES games need to be stretched horizontally too

I think I'm falling in love with your knowledge about gaming. Every time I read your posts I learn something cool I didn't know!

For the record too, they don't look blurry to me at all. They just look... right!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just realized.. The only NES carts of these I don't own are Balloon Fight and DK Jr. :p hardly anything new, but I love the 3DS format anyway.

Man my 3DS's dpad is so terrible, its so stiff, even the regular buttons just don't feel nice to push. Makes playing these 'intense' control type games really hard.

Wtf happened Nintendo? Could always rely on you to get the feel right at least.

Is it just my machine, I've been wondering for so long.

Peagles said:
I think I'm falling in love with your knowledge about gaming. Every time I read your posts I learn something cool I didn't know!

For the record too, they don't look blurry to me at all. They just look... right!

The games were actually designed to take the "blur" into account in designing their sprites. That's why they look "right".

That's something that most non VC emulators don't really recapture properly. Running a NES or SNES game in an emulator without any filters is actually the wrong way of emulating these games. In addition to the blur created from stretching the original image horizontally, CRT TV displays (the old tube TVs that you used to play these games on) actually soften the image slightly, giving the screen a somewhat softer look and this is a screen limitation that the NES and SNES games actually took advantage of.

The Wii VC actually emulates this when you run it with either a component or RGB Scart cable. If you look closely, you can see that they actually do run a very subtle filter on top of the game display, in order to recreate the blur that CRT displays generate. It's not pixel perfect sharp, because it's not supposed to be!

Of course, if you run it with a composite cable, the Wii VC removes the blur filter and runs it in the original 240p resolution that the original NES and SNES consoles output, with the exact same level of colour (in)accuracy; making it 100% identical to the original console, right down to the exact positions of the composite "dot crawl".

They put a lot of work into the VC emulators that most people don't really appreciate. This also extends to the GB/GBC VC on the 3DS where they actually go so far as to emulate the motion blur from the original spinach green GB display and the glass pane that sat on top of the GB/GBC screen by taking advantage of the 3DS' S3D display (my jaw just hit the floor when I actually saw this. I had never even considered doing that! Genius!)

One thing that isn't actually emulated properly on the 3DS NES VC is the overscan. Instead of cutting off the pixels at the bottom like the Wii VC and the original NES hardware do, they've instead decided to emulate the full display. So you actually get to see a little bit more of the game display then you're supposed to.

They probably did that because it meant that it would fit the 3DS display perfectly, rather than leaving it with small boarders. Personally, I'm ok with this because they're obviously not looking to emulate the original NES experience absolutely perfectly here (after all, you're playing it on a handheld, so a conductive handheld experience is more important than absolute accuracy here!)

So on Donkey Kong Jr. how many times do the levels loop?
When you finish the game and begin at level 1 again, has it switched to Game B or is Game A just looping back around over and over?

imthemaid

Banned
maeda said:
I kind of feel the same way and am extremely sad about it. The only NES game I still find extremely enjoyable, in fact it is one of my favorite games, is SMB3. Metroid and Zelda have gone such a long way since those early days that I just don't see any point in playing Metroid and Zelda. Zelda 2 is kind of neat, but the battle system is extremely representative of that period of time. In this day and age I just don't have patience for such an unforgiving game design.

maybe you need to play something that's a little more extreme

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
RandomVince said:
Serious question, when did you start gaming? Lots of people just don't get older games than what they started with.
I'd fucking LOVE to know the average age of the people in this thread. Some of these posts are simply mindblowing.

damn Zelda II is hard

kept falling into the water pit those damn bubbles
LLShC.gif

mutsu

Conrad Link said:
Man my 3DS's dpad is so terrible, its so stiff, even the regular buttons just don't feel nice to push. Makes playing these 'intense' control type games really hard.

Not just your machine I think. I was playing Balloon Fight last night, and find it not very playable due to the buttons' "push-ability"

Also having problems with Super Mario Bros, pressing B and A at the same time... :(

Yagharek

I have no nostalgia for nes either since I grew up with Amiga, master system and an older spectrum era clone with code your own Pac man and space invaders.

I have trouble playing stuff like Sinclair era games, but I would never write them off in a minute of play.

But balloon fight is digital crack, like pyoro and paper airplane. Nes games have a different style to 16bit era on, so its a big change going back, but I say they're a great bonus set of games.

MrCookiepants said:
Whatwhatwhat?

Dude, you got them FOR FREE so stop complaining and enjoy some classic games from back then.

ShinNL

I feel like my 3DS has increased a gazillion times in worth, knowing I will be getting GBA games in the future as well :eek:

Just downloaded my games. Wish there was a "download all" button or something... was a tad annoying having to navigate each time to download the ambassador games, but happy to finally get the first half of them.

Kind of off topic but I'm really getting frustrated trying to find this out on my own: how do I get the internet browser on here? I can't find it on the e-shop.

Edit: Lol there it is. Top right corner.

Conrad Link said:

I really have no problems with mine and playing several demo units at gamescom I clearly noticed that buttons are different from unit to unit. Mine are extremely comfortable. Just got lucky I guess.

vall03

man, I can't get myself to like Zelda II, I loved Faxanadu but for some reason it feels "rough", I really can't say much...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nuclear Muffin said:
Of course, if you run it with a composite cable, the Wii VC removes the blur filter and runs it in the original 240p resolution that the original NES and SNES consoles output, with the exact same level of colour (in)accuracy; making it 100% identical to the original console, right down to the exact positions of the composite "dot crawl".
Mind blown.

Are we sure that the difference in output is due to the cable? It's not the 480i/480p setting that the different cables force, right?

boris feinbrand said:
I really have no problems with mine and playing several demo units at gamescom I clearly noticed that buttons are different from unit to unit. Mine are extremely comfortable. Just got lucky I guess.

My buttons are also kind of crappy feeling. I noticed it immediately and figured it was just how the 3DS buttons were... I guess I should have exchanged mine, damn.

beje

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
One thing that isn't actually emulated properly on the 3DS NES VC is the overscan. Instead of cutting off the pixels at the bottom like the Wii VC and the original NES hardware do, they've instead decided to emulate the full display. So you actually get to see a little bit more of the game display then you're supposed to.

They probably did that because it meant that it would fit the 3DS display perfectly, rather than leaving it with small boarders. Personally, I'm ok with this because they're obviously not looking to emulate the original NES experience absolutely perfectly here (after all, you're playing it on a handheld, so a conductive handheld experience is more important than absolute accuracy here!)

I think they actually emulated that. The games have some little borders on top and bottom that appear to be exactly 8px wide each.

jooey said:
I'd fucking LOVE to know the average age of the people in this thread. Some of these posts are simply mindblowing.
I started gaming with river raid on Atari, but I didn't own any Nintendo console until I bought Wii a few years ago; I had never played a Nintendo game, including Mario, ever before either.

Peagles

Nuclear Muffin said:
That's something that most non VC emulators don't really recapture properly. Running a NES or SNES game in an emulator without any filters is actually the wrong way of emulating these games. In addition to the blur created from stretching the original image horizontally, CRT TV displays (the old tube TVs that you used to play these games on) actually soften the image slightly, giving the screen a somewhat softer look and this is a screen limitation that the NES and SNES games actually took advantage of.

I love hearing about stuff that people used to do with older tech to work around things, or even take advantage of limitations like that. Pretty amazing stuff!

Does the movement take this into account too? So say in Zelda when you run up and down on screen is it programmed to go slightly slower than side to side to make up for the stretch? I thought of this because on GBA if you stretched GB games to widescreen you ran super fast side to side in Pokemon but super slow up and down, haha!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mario and Yoshi made my bus journey fly past in an instant. Can see myself keeping this and Balloon Fight on my system for a spot of pick up and play action.

polg

I've just realized that I had played Mario & Yoshi before (can't remember when, I never owned a NES!). But I've never played classics like Zelda, Zelda 2 or Metroid :/

maeda said:
I kind of feel the same way and am extremely sad about it. The only NES game I still find extremely enjoyable, in fact it is one of my favorite games, is SMB3. Metroid and Zelda have gone such a long way since those early days that I just don't see any point in playing Metroid and Zelda. Zelda 2 is kind of neat, but the battle system is extremely representative of that period of time. In this day and age I just don't have patience for such an unforgiving game design.

Actually, the battle system was rather sophisticated and still holds up. It's just very challenging compared to everything that's come since.

MisterAnderson said:
My buttons are also kind of crappy feeling. I noticed it immediately and figured it was just how the 3DS buttons were... I guess I should have exchanged mine, damn.

Dammit so did I, I just assumed its just 'how the 3DS is', and I don't know anyone else in real life with a system so I couldn't compare. ;(

Tempted to try and get my hands on another to try now somehow.

Makes me miss my DS, was glorious just to hold and play, my 3DS is a struggle.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Man, NES Tournament Golf suuuuuuuuuucks. The rest of the games at the very least least straddle the line between good and crap.

MicH

Downloaded the game, but I can't seem to control them? Only Y (select) work? What the hell? Anyone else have this problem?

I look forward to being able to clear Zelda II. I previously had the gamecube collection disc and I enjoyed the game until towards the end where it is too brutal. No grinding will help the terrible path that awaits you.

As a child I never beat Metroid as it was too confusing and difficult for me. At least now I will be able to get further, last time I played it was through Metroid Prime. Btw does the Metroid game manage to store your last password like it did in the past?

I will wait for Ice Climbers to get multiplayer before I bother to download as the game was not fun playing alone.

The ambassador thing is a bit big of a download. Is it anything necessary?

beje

Banned
MicH said:
Downloaded the game, but I can't seem to control them? Only Y (select) work? What the hell? Anyone else have this problem?

Back then, "Press Start" actually meant it.

Top Bottom