• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land |OT| 6+ Years in the Making

@MUWANdo

Banned
For those who were wondering about the unlockable mode mentioned by IGN and others -
it's an EX difficulty mode, kinda like the one from the original Dream Land. Half health, harder enemies/enemy patterns, EX versions of all the bosses/minibosses.

Also, I guess this is what they meant when they said Super Star fans would be happy?
Once you beat the first five worlds and complete the spaceship, whatshisface alien guy takes you to his homeworld (which contains two additional worlds) and asks you to defeat a dragon-esque monster. Once you beat the dragon it drops a magic crown which the alien uses to transform into The True Final Evil, which has three phases - one where you ride on mini-dragons and chase him through space, shmup-style, one where you fight his new form and then one other extra-evil batlike form.
Seems kinda reminiscent of Milky Way Wishes, I guess (not that I've played Super Star in a long-arse time).

Teknoman

@MUWANdo said:
For those who were wondering about the unlockable mode mentioned by IGN and others -
it's an EX difficulty mode, kinda like the one from the original Dream Land. Half health, harder enemies/enemy patterns, EX versions of all the bosses/minibosses.

Also, I guess this is what they meant when they said Super Star fans would be happy?
Once you beat the first five worlds and complete the spaceship, whatshisface alien guy takes you to his homeworld (which contains two additional worlds) and asks you to defeat a dragon-esque monster. Once you beat the dragon it drops a magic crown which the alien uses to transform into The True Final Evil, which has three phases - one where you ride on mini-dragons and chase him through space, shmup-style, one where you fight his new form and then one other extra-evil batlike form.
Seems kinda reminiscent of Milky Way Wishes, I guess (not that I've played Super Star in a long-arse time).

Best Kirby ever. Bet the soundtrack is going to be insane for that section alone.

Oh man, I'm even more super pumped about this now.

I only hope that there's classic controller support. Does anyone know?

(Oh, if not I hope someone does something like the Gecko code for enabling it in Donkey Kong Country Returns and maps waggle to a button. That would be ACE.)

ColonelSkills said:
Oh man, I'm even more super pumped about this now.

I only hope that there's classic controller support. Does anyone know?

(Oh, if not I hope someone does something like the Gecko code for enabling it in Donkey Kong Country Returns and maps waggle to a button. That would be ACE.)

I saw the game being sold at Sears and checked the back cover, I don't recall seeing a CC icon. I think I just saw the sole Wiimote icon.

Why is this a Monday release date? Not a Nintendo Sunday release date, not a Tuesday release date, but a Monday?

Also: Need to know: This or Mass Attack?

There can only be one.

That I can afford...

NEO0MJ

Mr. Wonderful said:
Why is this a Monday release date? Not a Nintendo Sunday release date, not a Tuesday release date, but a Monday?

Also: Need to know: This or Mass Attack?

There can only be one.

That I can afford...

Depends on what you want. Return to Dreamland offers classic and solid Kirby platforming with multiplayer while Mass Attack offers a new, original and different take on the franchise.

Berordn

NEO0MJ said:
Classic and solid Kirby platforming with multiplayer or a new and different take on the franchise.
Mass Attack is also surprisingly fresh and full of tribute to Kirby's history as well, plus some of the subgames could've been games in their own right. Can't go wrong with either, if the early reviews are anything to go by.

NEO0MJ

Berordn said:
Mass Attack is also surprisingly fresh and full of tribute to Kirby's history as well, plus some of the subgames could've been games in their own right. Can't go wrong with either, if the early reviews are anything to go by.

That's what I meant with new take, Mass attack. Maybe I should edit my post...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shiggy said:
This game could've looked great:
maboroshi03.jpg

Gorgeous. What a shame they went the direction they did, given that nothing would have been lost in the gameplay.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
TimmiT said:
Wow, I've always wanted a 3D Kirby platformer since I was a kid.

I'm hoping that's what they do for the 3DS if Mario does well enough in his own execution.

Sinthetic

Mr. Wonderful said:
I think I'll try Mass Attack. I want Return to Dreamland too, however, just for the multiplayer and trying to emulate it in Dolphin.

Mass Attack is amazing, you won't regret it.

M-PG71C

I have this and Battlefield 3 coming in this week. What a unique combo. I been looking forward to this game for a long time and it may be the final 2D platformer for the Wii.

Gonna be fucking great!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Huh, I was sure this would be good but not so praised. More in line with Kirby's Epic Yarn than Donkey Kong Country Returns. Cool surprise I guess.

Teknoman

EatChildren said:
Gorgeous. What a shame they went the direction they did, given that nothing would have been lost in the gameplay.

Boney said:
what a shame

Maybe, but the game still looks really nice in its current form too.

Alextended said:
Huh, I was sure this would be good but not so praised. More in line with Kirby's Epic Yarn than Donkey Kong Country Returns. Cool surprise I guess.

Well its a "real" kirby game, so that should've been expected :p

I don't want to look at many other spoilers, but can somebody at least tell me if there is another Great Cave Offensive type mode? I want to collect random Nintendo treasure again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Lamp said:
10/10 from Destructoid? Whoa..I'm keeping an eye on the reviews tomorrow.

Wow--hype building.

Neiteio

Wow, why spoiler-tag that perfect 10/10 score? This game might be overlooked around these parts if people aren't aware it's damn good. I say, yell that score from the rooftops!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think this will be the perfect game to ask for Christmas. Wii games are acting like the buses; nothing for ages and then suddenly a whole shedload of them.

Rich!

BY2K said:
I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Skyward Sword gets a lower score from them.

Kirby Super Star is my favourite game of ALL TIME. Like, seriously.

If this is an ounce as good, then fuck yes - it will be better than skyward sword (which will be amazing of course anyhow!).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That cel-shaded game looks great, and I hope they use it for a future Kirby game. Reminds me of the anime, which I thought had a pretty neat look since it mixed 2D and CG animation together in a rather cute way. Would love to see a Kirby game that looked just like the anime.

With Escargoon too

Rich!

farnham said:
why does it take one more month for us poor poor europeans

Do what I do.

Paypal £30 to an american friend, and get them to send it to you first class. Kirby within a week. fuck yeahhh

also, remember - us Europeans got motherfucking xenoblade. We are lucky as fuck, considering it's one of the best games I've ever, ever played.

Hiltz

I originally thought RTD looked like a solid and fun but seemingly uninspiring title. The co-op doesn't matter to me since I've got no one to play it with. However, the return of the pink puffball's original powers has still been enough to be excited about. Guess I may have been wrong about the quality of the game since I generally trust Jim's reviews. His review of Epic Yarn was spot-on except I did feel that the game's creative concept could have been pushed a bit further. In addition, he surprisingly didn't mention anything about the game's fantastic music which was one of the best soundtracks of the year in my opinion.

Anyway, I still plan on renting RDT but if it turns out to be as good as Jim makes it out to be, then I'll buy it. However, I might wait until the holidays for some potentially good deals.

CyReN

Neiteio said:
Wow, why spoiler-tag that perfect 10/10 score? This game might be overlooked around these parts if people aren't aware it's damn good. I say, yell that score from the rooftops!

Actually seen people complain on here when there isn't a spoiler tag, now that I do it people complain.

Can't win.

Teknoman

Btw whats with most Kirby main series final bosses after Dreamland 1 looking so...creepy I guess you could say? They've also got some really odd death animations.

Tyeforce

So, wait, Clean Kirby isn't in the game after all? Dang, I was really looking forward to its revival... It was in the 2005 GCN trailer... =/

MDX

LPvML.png
YpwK5.jpg
argdk.jpg

Its just astonishing that products sold to US consumers, in this case kids, have to have some kind of violent/warlike angle to it to have any value.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
MDX said:
LPvML.png
YpwK5.jpg
argdk.jpg

Its just astonishing that products sold to US consumers, in this case kids, have to have some kind of violent/warlike angle to it to have any value.

Angry Kirby is just an internal Nintendo meme, now... it's obvious that they're doing it intentional! :lol
But...10/10 from Destructoid?
Wow.

So I haven't really been following this game. I'm still surprised it's coming out tomorrow. The 10/10 solidified my decision to Day 1 purchase, as opposed to waiting. So happy I can easily go into this game spoiler free, unlike Skyward Sword. :p

Q:
Is it shipping tomorrow, or will it actually be in stores tomorrow? If the former, then I'll hopefully pick it up at Nintendo World.

Top Bottom