• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Spring 2013?

What does Sony have for the fall besides Last of Us?

Kind of assumed this would be a fall release since it's being announced now.

Yeah Spring 2013 is a lot later than I had imagined.

To put this in perspective, God of War 3 had a 3 year development cycle.

If God of War: Ascension releases in 2013, that's another 3 year development cycle. A long time considering they already have an established engine.

In order to justify that much development time, either they scaled back the number of members working on the God of War project, or they have some significant changes to the God of War formula and design.

Honestly, I'm not confident The Last of Us will release in the fall, which leaves a huge gap in Sony's lineup this year.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, uh, if The Last of Us is 2013, that leaves Sly 4 vs. Halo 4 & Kinect stuff for the battle of exclusives this season and that's not really good for Sony.

It also does seem like a loooong dev cycle for this new GoW game which isn't even GoW4. Just seems weird. Unless they split the team in half and half are making GoW4 for PS4 and the other half are making this at a slower pace.

Yeah, uh, if The Last of Us is 2013, that leaves Sly 4 vs. Halo 4 & Kinect stuff for the battle of exclusives this season and that's not really good for Sony.

Yup, would be absolutely terrible. Probably their worst year since 2006 in terms of exclusives.

They really need a stand out fall title.

KingK

Sly 4. Dunno if there's anything else coming. And wasn't Last of Us delayed to 2013 or am I making up things again?

ND has been hush hush on a release date intentionally. They've said Fall 2012 is a possibility, but they don't want to make any promises because they don't want to end up having to rush it.

I think there's a decent chance Last of Us makes it this year. They've been working on it since UC2, and I could see Sony really wanting them to finish it if they don't have anything else for Fall. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they end up putting it off til 2013.

If TLOU and GOW:A are both early 2013, then this Fall is looking to be really barren for Sony. Probably their worst year since like 06.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
neither did had any effect so why all the worries for holiday season!
people buy hd console to mostly play cod and other stuff.very few dedicated fanbase looks for exclusive which have already bought ps3
I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue here, but you're right that people who already own a PS3 might not be looking for exclusives. I was talking about GT5 and FFXIII affecting PS3 sales by being enticing to people who had no HD console at the time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
After GOWIII, it should have gone like this:

1- Since only the God of War remains, the world is constantly at war.
2- Suffering of mankind brings about a new hero who seeks to bring peace.
3- Said hero fights against Kratos' minions/whatever.
3- Said hero ultimately kills the God of War.
4- As a result, there are no more gods whatsoever, and everything is left in mankind's hands as a result, which is the only way to actually have peace.

The End.

neither did had any effect so why all the worries for holiday season!
people buy hd console to mostly play cod and other stuff.very few dedicated fanbase looks for exclusive which have already bought ps3

On sales they don't have much of an impact, but from a gaming perspective it's disappointing to see Sony not have any big hitter for an entire year. 2011 was a fantastic year for them in terms of exclusives, so perhaps they blew their wad, but Sony generally makes games that really push the PS3 so it's disappointing when we don't have much to look forward to on that front for this year.

Gsak

4- As a result, there are no more gods whatsoever, and everything is left in mankind's hands as a result, which is the only way to actually have peace.

The End.

Problem is Kratos has not been a god since GOW 2's beginning.

Nizz

It also does seem like a loooong dev cycle for this new GoW game which isn't even GoW4. Just seems weird. Unless they split the team in half and half are making GoW4 for PS4 and the other half are making this at a slower pace.

Yup, would be absolutely terrible. Probably their worst year since 2006 in terms of exclusives.

They really need a stand out fall title.

ND has been hush hush on a release date intentionally. They've said Fall 2012 is a possibility, but they don't want to make any promises because they don't want to end up having to rush it.

I think there's a decent chance Last of Us makes it this year. They've been working on it since UC2, and I could see Sony really wanting them to finish it if they don't have anything else for Fall. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they end up putting it off til 2013.

If TLOU and GOW:A are both early 2013, then this Fall is looking to be really barren for Sony. Probably their worst year since like 06.
This is exactly what I was worried about when I saw dates for GOW:A for Spring 2013. With LoU probably releasing in Spring also what the hell does that leave for Fall?

Sly Cooper and Sony Smash Brawl or whatever doesn't do it for me. :/

Fezan

I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue here, but you're right that people who already own a PS3 might not be looking for exclusives. I was talking about GT5 and FFXIII affecting PS3 sales by being enticing to people who had no HD console at the time.

not with you but people here are saying that sony need good exclusive for fall to sell ps3 etc

Well, there's always the Last Guardian, right guys???

Right???

i3vYGm.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
not with you but people here are saying that sony need good exclusive for fall to sell ps3 etc
Good exclusives are always enticing to new buyers, but this late in the gen they're not that important. It's more about being able to counter Microsoft, and Sly 4 alone will be no match for Halo 4 when MS fires up the hype/marketing engine.

So, I just replayed God of War III (from the mid-point).

You know, playing through it again, I am remembering just how much sheer fun the combat and boss fights are. Definitely the highlight out of all of the games, best combat and boss fights. Also dug the ending. I find myself liking how it ends quite a bit
and Kratos denying Athena hope was fucking hilarious.

Though Kratos fucking
Aphrodite after killing Hephaestus was downright cold.

The first person sequences were great.

Tookay

The End.

I kind of agree with this. Kratos was such a dick by the end of GOWIII it would have been logical he ends up as the series' villain. That would have been an interesting way to keep him involved.

Patapwn

I'm in the process of setting up an interview with Ueda. I will be asking him about it of course.

Whoa really? Some advice, I heard he strictly keeps his answer no greater than 3 syllables long! And if you trick him into saying over 100 words you win some sort of trophy

btw, ask him what kind of conditioner he uses

Gsak

Though Kratos fucking
Aphrodite after killing Hephaestus was downright cold.

Well, let's not forget that
Hephaestus tried to kill him first... If he didn't do that Kratos would probably let him live. He did show some sympathy towards Hephaestus. Also, he does Aphrodite before he kills him, I think.

The End.

Pretty much this.

Kratos became so unlikeable in GOW3 and having a main character from previous games becoming the antagonist is much more powerful since you followed his journey and know why he became like this. Even if, you know, he's not well-written......like Kratos. It still adds depth.

Gsak

By the way, it just came to me. According to Greek Mythology, the grandaddy of ALL the gods is the first deity: Chaos.

And since the world in indeed left in chaos after GOW 3...

Hmmm... interesting, no?

As I said, this game will be multiplayer. You'll be playing in large scale wars with Kratos as the General. You'll be able to create your own Spartan warrior and play with friends; customizable skins, tattoos, armor, weapons etc. The main campaign will be up to 4 player co-op. You'll play through several battles against various races with some mythological monsters thrown in. The ante will go up after you make your deal with Ares and gain more abilities. You will serve Ares while slaughtering thousands. You will then be betrayed and kill your family, turning you against Ares. There will be a battle between you and Ares at the end and you will actually have the upperhand but because of a trick from the Gods, Ares will escape your wrath.

Then the multiplayer. It will be 16 players. You'll be able to play as Spartans, Barbarians, Arcadians, Persians, Athenians etc. There will be a few match types, 8 v 8 team death match, survival mode, and free for all. You will get to customize your character or choose from a list of characters including Zues Ares, Athena, Posiden, Hermes, Helios, etc.

This will be the most gritty GOW game. Expect much more blood and expect to be vunerable to injury that effects your performance. Also expect the ability to pick up dropped weapons or be able to steal weapons from your enemies. Customization will be huge in this game. Expect new comrades for Kratos as well.

2013 release date and Multiplayer

Himself

It's really hard to imagine a GOW being being that significantly different from the last 5. And honestly, I don't know if i would really want it to be.

As I said, this game will be multiplayer. You'll be playing in large scale wars with Kratos as the General. You'll be able to create your own Spartan warrior and play with friends; customizable skins, tattoos, armor, weapons etc. The main campaign will be up to 4 player co-op. You'll play through several battles against various races with some mythological monsters thrown in. The ante will go up after you make your deal with Ares and gain more abilities. You will serve Ares while slaughtering thousands. You will then be betrayed and kill your family, turning you against Ares. There will be a battle between you and Ares at the end and you will actually have the upperhand but because of a trick from the Gods, Ares will escape your wrath.

Sony's official site lists it as having no multiplayer support

http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/god-of-war-ascension-ps3.html

Gsak

Then the multiplayer. It will be 16 players. You'll be able to play as Spartans, Barbarians, Arcadians, Persians, Athenians etc. There will be a few match types, 8 v 8 team death match, survival mode, and free for all. You will get to customize your character or choose from a list of characters including Zues Ares, Athena, Posiden, Hermes, Helios, etc.

This will be the most gritty GOW game. Expect much more blood and expect to be vunerable to injury that effects your performance. Also expect the ability to pick up dropped weapons or be able to steal weapons from your enemies. Customization will be huge in this game. Expect new comrades for Kratos as well.

Come again?

That sounds phenomenal if true...

Can it be true?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Exactly. And that's NOT God Of War. I really hope it's not true.

It sounds unbelievably horrible. I want them to overhaul the specifics of the mechanics, not change genres entirely.

On the other hand it would be nice to play an online co-op game that I'm actually really good at (provided they retain the core GOW gameplay).

Top Bottom