• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

So what are you guys looking forward to in terms of payed DLC content (outside of the obvious characters)? What would you guys be realistically willing to pay for?

DLC Stages ~
Any excuse really to get Michiru Yamane to cook up some new music for the game. That train stage concept art and the canned Atrium stage really make me think there's some potential there. I don't know if you guys are more inclined to just give out stages but once again, I don't think I'd have much problem justifying paying for a stage (especially if, for example, they came coupled with the DLC character itself. That's the way KOF13 approached it)

Filia_vs_Peacock_train_scene_by_oh8.jpg

WillyHwang-SG25Atrium002.jpg

DLC Taunts ~
I would be incrediblyyy interested in buying up some DLC taunts if they were made available. Obviously with memory limitations and primary focus being on releasing the game in the first place they couldn't make their way in with the first release. Assuming you guys streamline all that though I would probably be most interested in seeing this outside of outright full character DLC.

DLC Color Palettes ~
Self explanatory. I miss Potemkin and American Cerebella along with Mitsuru Parasoul ;-;
Would you guys be more inclined to sell them on a per-character basis (sort of like SFxT?) or just have big sets of colors unlocked for all of the characters (sort of more along the line of how BlazBlue's handled it). I think I'd prefer the latter in any case.

Story Expansion ~
I know a number of us have expressed an interest in being willing to buy the canon version of the story mode if it were the only means of being able to make one. The teams crafted this absolutely wonderful universe that I would love to see expanded on.

Ravidrath

Skullgirls finally has a confirmed European / Australian release date on PSN - May 2nd, just a week away!

Sorry to have kept you waiting.

Steaks

Top 30 on XBL.

I beat the guy who was ranked #2 and shot up like 300 ranks :| He wrecked me in a set shortly after.

Edit: Down to 50. Damn you Trueskill :( I have like a 95%+ winrate.

Ravidrath

Top 30 on XBL.

I beat the guy who was ranked #2 and shot up like 300 ranks :| He wrecked me in a set shortly after.

Edit: Down to 50. Damn you Trueskill :( I have like a 95%+ winrate.

People keep asking for more data on the leaderboard, but... these kind of posts make me think that we should leave it off. Or bury it or something? Because if we listed people's win rates, people would think it's based on that, not based on their TrueSkill rating.

TrueSkill is not about ordering win rate, it's about minimizing uncertainty - the two can be related, but not necessarily directly so. And the two things you just said sound consistent with that.

Also, keep in mind that the leaderboards don't necessarily update in real time, either. If you check after every match, there's a good chance that you're looking at your ranking before the match you just played.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Honestly, I look at a glitchy/useless leaderboard as a good thing. Theoretically, you should be putting up with fewer boosters if their boosting doesn't yield the results they want.

Steaks

People keep asking for more data on the leaderboard, but... these kind of posts make me think that we should leave it off. Or bury it or something? Because if we listed people's win rates, people would think it's based on that, not based on their TrueSkill rating.

TrueSkill is not about ordering win rate, it's about minimizing uncertainty - the two can be related, but not necessarily directly so. And the two things you just said sound consistent with that.

Also, keep in mind that the leaderboards don't necessarily update in real time, either. If you check after every match, there's a good chance that you're looking at your ranking before the match you just played.

I mean, here's the biggest problem without attributing a secondary number to trueskill:
It feels really, really bad when you win and a number goes down.

That's really it. It's the exact opposite of rewarding, or encouraging positive behavior. I'm not really upset at it anymore because I looked up at how trueskill worked, but the system itself works "better" than others for accurately ranking people, it FEELS terrible. Having arbitrary dickwaving points is fun, even if they do nothing. When a number goes up when you win, you naturally feel rewarded, when the opposite happens, you don't want to play anymore. The only reason I even started ranked in the first place is I'm having an incredible amount of difficulty fighting people that are good through communities. You guys probably didn't have the time to implement this, but I'd really keep this in mind. Never have I played online and felt shitty for winning until this game.

On another note: will any good GAFfers play me on XBL? I'm having SERIOUS trouble finding people that can beat me. It's incredibly frustrating. I want to improve but everyone's really, really bad.

Week of Skullgirls *Noob Adventures!* Day 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv1b...DvjVQa1PpcFP7VdVbmSKpKPmluRapIuLHLlLQwx4dns0=

Week of Skullgirls *Noob Adventures!* Day 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPH...DvjVQa1PpcFP7VdVbmSKpKDqTeiUQR9irbF8f2-qgqxI=

I think it's pretty self explanatory. Max seems interested enough to continue playing the game. I enjoy sitting back and watching someone else's learning experience like this every once in a while. Sometimes looking at someone else's mistakes and foibles can open your eyes to things you might have missed before. Only watched the first one, but it is good stuff.

Fight Night 2.12: Skullgirls Top 3

Posting it again since the link earlier in the thread doesn't seem to work. This is some extremely good footage for Painwheel in particular. I consider this a must watch. This is like that vital information in a war that would tilt things in your favor. Full of scary painwheel stuff and it even shows off a funny MvC2 style assist juggle. Almost all of the footage is good.
BTW after playing a million Cerebella games since the game came out, my biggest gripe so far is the hitbox for grabbing people jumping away from me with Cerebella's DP grab is horrible. A move designed to beat people jumping back only works when you're point blank, is blockable in most situations (for good reason), incredibly high risk, and only combos into other stuff very specific situations. In combos, it does less damage than alternatives (stand HK, -> DP+HP ender). It's bad for beating people jumping into you because you have a very high vulnerable box and low amounts of active frames.

What was the intent behind this move then? It is genuinely horrible at beating up-back because of its horizontal hitbox. The worst part about Cerebella is working to get in and having no solution to up back, when the solution in every other game is frequently this move, and it is already high risk and very niche in application.
Mike Z's response to your question said:
Well at least they acknowledge that it'd be dumb if it were straight up unblockable. (^.^)

Heat Knuckle is the exact same way, not invincible and slowish startup...in fact both Heat and Excellabella are terrible as antiairs, on purpose. They can be out-poked, as in they have a vulnerable limb out before the active frames, because they aren't supposed to be antiairs. Even Collider isn't much of an antiair. And actually, Excel is less vulnerable on startup than Heat is. They're prediction tools and scare tactics. For invincible AA she has DP+MP. And she's a grappler. :^P

Truth be told, it works wonders for me. It will grab a back jump after most chains you would be ticking with. It will grab some characters but not others after s.LPx2->s.MK->s.HK(2), but substituting c.MP->s.HK(2) it'll grab anyone. If it were invincible or faster it'd be, well, insane.

c.HP xx Excel does have one big advantage over s.HK xx Copter in combos, though - it gives tons of meter and, like all throws, the meter you (and the opponent) get from it is not scaled by where you are in a combo. So compare corner j.HK, s.LPx2->cr.MP->s.HK(2) xx Copter, cr.LK->cr.MP->s.HK(2) xx Copter with j.HK, s.LPx2->cr.MP->cr.HP xx Excel, cr.LK->cr.MP->cr.HP xx Excel. Similar to Heat, you can choose meter or damage.

As was mentioned on GAF, it's also super cancellable into 360, for a very good option select since the 360 won't come out if the Excel hits...whereas if you mis-predict Heat you just die.

I could maybe see moving the hitbox out a tiiiiiiiny bit horizontally, or dropping them slightly closer, but those types of changes will have to wait a while until there is more data indicating they are necessary. Also, try Pummel Horse as an antiair from far. Yes, really. :^)
Just in case you don't browse SRK. Didn't see it posted here so...
Also... has this been posted yet? The Skullgirls VAs playing against each other as their characters? Shit gets raunchy, viewer discretion is advised:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JusticeTang
Hardcore
Yea, I'd love it in flac...
The best versions I've heard so far are the ones on the game's website. It'd blow my mind if FLAC improves on that.
Just played my first few online matches and holy crap I HAD NO LAG. Now I know how Japan feels when they play online. ^_^
Welcome to GGPO done right.
So what are you guys looking forward to in terms of payed DLC content (outside of the obvious characters)? What would you guys be realistically willing to pay for?
-Characters(obviously)
-Moar colors(especially if they made "fan" packs based off submitted stuff from SRK and dustloop)
-Music(I would kill for more stage themes and character specific themes)
-Story updates

It would never happen, but I'd also pay all my monies for a custom palette editor. I see why it can't happen so I won't bring that up again. I would like to see stuff bundled together and in packs though. I think it can get kinda intimidating if you see 20+ pieces of DLC. It's easier on the eyes when you have "super/variety/theme" packs at good prices. I would pay for taunts/win poses, but I'd rather see their animators constantly working on new characters. It will be the game's biggest weakness for years to come. Yeah, some people are just gonna complain even when the roster hits twenty characters...
On another note: will any good GAFfers play me on XBL? I'm having SERIOUS trouble finding people that can beat me. It's incredibly frustrating. I want to improve but everyone's really, really bad.
I'll play you, but I don't know how it'll turn out until we actually play. I may suck in your eyes or I may show potential.

notworksafe

Stages would be nice and so would characters (obviously). Otherwise, not much else.

I guess I'd pay a decent price for a color edit mode as well. Not interested in paying for premade palette swaps.

Jintor

Oh dear fucking god I'm so bad at this game. Even the AI on easy is kicking my ass six ways till Sunday. Time to spend some time in the labs

The OST is up on Spotify. Thank you Reverge for not forgetting about us subscription customers!

This game might well beat Bastion and Sonic Generations to the top of my favourite current gen OST. And Sonic Generations has freaking Stardust Speedway on it.

DLC Stages ~

Train Stage.

Because fighting on trains are godlike. /psylockefanboy

DLC Taunts ~

I would glad pay 50¢-$1 for pop-offs.

DLC Color Palettes ~

"Chun-Li" Parasoul. Let's go.

Story Expansion ~

I'm intrigued by the story (I wish Story Mode was an actual canon story, instead of a fancier Arcade Mode) but I'm honestly more interested in the gameplay and future DLC characters (like Sabine).

I can't translate six buttons onto pad play :(

I'm going to tell you straight up, man.

As a hardcore "claw-style" pad player (who can also use a stick) I have to use a solo character to get shit done.
If you're going to use multiple characters, then stick with two and make the assist something that's used wisely full screen, but keep [LP+MP] and [LK+MK] as your macros.

Pachinko

I'm interested in this game but some part of me doesn't want to bite until it's a bit more substantial, like perhaps a deluxe edition down the road. Although I realize it's a catch 22 situation because if I don't buy it , they have no support to make new content.

The artwork looks super ace though :D

I'm interested in this game but some part of me doesn't want to bite until it's a bit more substantial, like perhaps a deluxe edition down the road. Although I realize it's a catch 22 situation because if I don't buy it , they have no support to make new content.

I asked the same thing and they indicated that a deluxe edition would be a good few years away. So yeah if you really want to wait...on the other hand at least this way you can spread out the costs...

joe2187

Banned
I dont see an "SUPER" version until way later down the line, they've promised free patches and updates along the lines of DLC Characters. I dont think it would profitable to release any sort of different version until way after the last DLC character has been added which seems pretty far away.

Kokonoe

Banned
I bought it a few days ago, but just got around to playing it a few hours ago. Haven't really found the character that's suited to how I play, but the game is quite nice.
It definitely needs a movelist function for the start menu, and fighting the last boss's third form is just luck of the draw it seems as I lucked out after a few tries since it didn't spam skulls while flying into my attacks.

shaowebb

Invited a friend over to my place today and played a ton of Skullgirls together. Completely hooked him on the game. He went absolutely nuts playing the team of Parasoul/Cerebella. He LOVED lock&load's armor and used it on my Peacock to great effect.

Best thing he had was the smoothest raw tag setup for his team. Summon the biker as Parasoul after blocking my Valentine. Then rawtag in Cerebella who comes from the ceiling with an elbow drop. Id either block and eat the elbow or jump into it half the time as I reacted to the bike trying to avoid it even though I knew he loved using it. Really good at baiting me out on that setup to get in Cerebella. I eventually got the timing habitual to avoid it, but I can see this thing working online 50/50 and it was a lot of fun to do.

Also gotta say I love playing Valentine. When I'm not being lame with Peacock I love using her combos to no end. That hitstun vial makes stuff incredible on top of her already fun combos. Plus I can't get enough of her scalpel hyper in combo setups. She DHC's well and can finish a combo with that hyper from about any sort of setup. I may just go for her on point and Peacock on anchor using the ground bomb (Boxcar George) as the assist. It worked really well when doing Valentine's Savage Bypass dash maneuver. Though the slower bomb (George's Day Out) makes for some better mixup potential given I can use it to make whifs safer for Valentine on Savage Bypass.

So much fun today on this game and I converted another person to it. Thanks Reverge for all the hard work you did and are continuing to do for this game.

Dreavus

Got some matches in today for the first time, love the game.

Everything about Peacock as a character is delightful. Haven't figured out very many combos with her, but I suppose that's not really the point.

SkullgirlsJazztopsellerAmazon.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if the soundtrack will bring in as much money as the game haha.
I can't translate six buttons onto pad play :(
This is why I went in on Savior so hard. I needed to learn a good six button fighter with a great sense of speed and it payed off. I don't feel nearly as lost at Skullgirls as some people might expect. I recommend that you run some solo teams against friends and redo the tutorial. Write down stuff that sticks out in particular(always holding block, block low for normals/lows, practice techs and learn your basic 8 hit air combo).

It's not gonna be super easy, but it doesn't have to be hard as hell either.
I really really love the MIchiru Yamane tracks in the OST!
I'm amazed by Vincent Diamante, Brenton Kossak and Blaine McGurty too. Some of the best tracks are made by those guys. It's really cool that they have a distinct sound compared to Yamane. It makes the album unpredictable in a very pleasant way.

Vincent Diamante:
Daybreak
In rapid succession

Michiru Yamane:
Paved with good intentions
The seat of power

Brenton Kossak and Blaine McGurty:
Pedestrians crossing(sickest menu music since Guilty Gear)
Them's fightin' words

Too good

There is not going to be a Skullgirls 2 in six months. You may find yourself waiting nearly two years.
I bought it a few days ago, but just got around to playing it a few hours ago. Haven't really found the character that's suited to how I play, but the game is quite nice.
It definitely needs a movelist function for the start menu, and fighting the last boss's third form is just luck of the draw it seems as I lucked out after a few tries since it didn't spam skulls while flying into my attacks.
The move list is already being tackled in the patch they are planning(alongside training mode options). It's only a matter of time now and you can always print out the PDF for a particular character you enjoy playing by checking out the character page on the main website.
Yeah same here. If they do end up releasing it on disc in Japan I'd probably import.
I have a question. Do Japanese PS2 titles also work on BC PS3 systems?
Invited a friend over to my place today and played a ton of Skullgirls together. Completely hooked him on the game. He went absolutely nuts playing the team of Parasoul/Cerebella. He LOVED lock&load's armor and used it on my Peacock to great effect.

Best thing he had was the smoothest raw tag setup for his team. Summon the biker as Parasoul after blocking my Valentine. Then rawtag in Cerebella who comes from the ceiling with an elbow drop. Id either block and eat the elbow or jump into it half the time and I knew he loved using it. I eventually got the timing habitual to avoid it, but I can see this thing working online 50/50 and it was a lot of fun to do.

Also gotta say I love playing Valentine. When I'm not being lame with Peacock I love using her combos to no end. That hitstun vial makes stuff incredible on top of her already fun combos. Plus I can't get enough of her scalpel hyper in combo setups. She DHC's well and can finish a combo with that hyper from about any sort of setup. I may just go for her on point and Peacock on anchor using the ground bomb (Boxcar George) as the assist. It worked really well when doing Valentine's Savage Bypass dash maneuver. Though the slower bomb (George's Day Out) makes for some better mixup potential given I can use it to make whifs safer for Valentine on Savage Bypass.

So much fun today on this game and I converted another person to it. Thanks Reverge for all the hard work you did and are continuing to do for this game.
Why haven't we played against each other yet? I'm gonna put you in a headlock(probably ineffective against your martial arts lol) and force you to play.
Ravi, Im no linguist but what the fuck does ORGINAL mean?
They are trying to pull a Cacpcom on us.
Got some matches in today for the first time, love the game.

Everything about Peacock as a character is delightful. Haven't figured out very many combos with her, but I suppose that's not really the point.
Peacock is the kind of character that can get away with a lot even if you know only two or so basic combos. I like that kind of character a lot. I think beginners can have a lot of fun with her zoning game due to it's strength.

Top Bottom