• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Design and Tech video on Bullet Time - OUT NAO

Simo

They must of lost GAF's invite in the mail...
23.gif

Max Payne 3 will apparently feature four hours of video on the disc

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/xbox360/xbox360-news/18987/max-payne-3-feature-4-hours-video

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has today revealed the certificate awarded to the forthcoming Max Payne 3 videogame. As would have been expected by many gamers, Max Payne 3 will be available for purchase by gamers over the age of eighteen only, but the bigger surprise comes in the detailing of the videogame’s motion-picture content.

According to the BBFC’s classification of Max Payne 3, the video content included within the retail package runs for over four hours. Included within this are the Max Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Multiplayer Gameplay Part One, Max Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Creating a Cutting Edge Action-Shooter, Max Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Targeting and Weapons and Max Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Visual Effects and Cinematics trailers, which present a total duration of thirteen minutes and thirty two seconds. Four additional trailers for the videogame are also included, running a total duration of five minutes and twelve seconds. This sees the trailers take-up a total duration of eighteen minutes and forty four seconds, so exactly what the remaining three hours, fifty one minutes and sixteen seconds will be is yet to be confirmed. It would be a considerable stretch to believe that Max Payne 3 features four hours and ten minutes of cutscenes as the classification suggests.

Max Payne 3 is currently in development at Rockstar Games for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, and Electronic Theatre will keep you updated with all the latest details as the videogame approaches release.

So, the Tech/Design videos are included, Four trailers are included (Trailer 1, 2, maybe the spot, and I guess the Launch trailer? Or a third trailer and a launch trailer?), leaving 3 hours of video. Maybe we get a making of video from Rockstar! That'd be a first, some behind the scenes look, footage of the actors and stuff. If they have the kind of content Naughty Dog puts into the Uncharted games, that'd be fucking awesome. I really doubt there's three hours of cut scenes in the game. Unless the Housers decided to go Kojima on Max.

Of course, that all depends on how viable this info is.

Fjordson

I keep wondering if this game is longer than we thought. Or was 10 hours confirmed? I mean 3 hours of cutscenes in a game that long would be weird.

Though with the cutscenes being in-engine, do those count as video?

I keep wondering if this game is longer than we thought. Or was 10 hours confirmed? I mean 3 hours of cutscenes in a game that long would be weird.

Though with the cutscenes being in-engine, do those count as video?

Well, one of the previews that's floating around there quoted a R* employee as saying the game's 8-10 hours... but who knows if it's accurate or was misheard or something.

Oh what's this... another Newswire poster. From the post on the iPad contest (it's emblazoned with an image of Max!)

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...-members-win-a-max-payne-customized-ipad.html

Racecarlock 40 minutes ago
If you need contests with merchandise prizes to keep people interested in your game, it doesn't really say anything good for the game. I'll be honest here, I'm seeing a lot of warning signs. The game is being marketed as cinematic, you had a whole trailer dedicated to shotgun variety, you had a trailer for bullet time which was original when the first max payne did it, but now it's not that original anymore. And now you're holding merchandise winning contests.

Quick question, did GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption need any of this to sell a s**tload of copies? Did Red Dead Redemption need this to win a f**king game of the year award? No, they sold perfectly well as games, and they should because they're great games.

What, exactly, is max payne 3 offering here that I haven't already seen in other games? Cover based shooting is everywhere, bullet time is now a main feature of the call of duty series, and if I'm not mistaken, you guys already did the detective thing with L.A Noire. The drunk cop thing has been seen in so many movies that it's now a cliche, and how many times are we going to do a foot chase and shoot out in brazil? And the cover based shooting looks like it was ripped from Noire, GTA IV, and a little bit of mafia II.

And to top it off, you've got the stereotypical hot mexican action girl who wears a cross necklace and has no personality other than reminding people that she has tits and an ass. This would have been good about 3-5 years ago, but now everything just seems tacky and ripped off from the latest action blockbusters.

I've never... hated someone... like I hate... this guy.

I did enter the contest.

Fjordson

Yeah, how dare Rockstar give away free shit. Bunch of two-faced corporate lowlifes.

And he has a point, Black Ops really nailed Bullet Time.

Well, one of the previews that's floating around there quoted a R* employee as saying the game's 8-10 hours... but who knows if it's accurate or was misheard or something.

Oh what's this... another Newswire poster. From the post on the iPad contest (it's emblazoned with an image of Max!)

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...-members-win-a-max-payne-customized-ipad.html

I've never... hated someone... like I hate... this guy.

I did enter the contest.

Wow... just... wow. This guy is on a serious hating high. (I mean racecarlock :p)

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/xbox360/xbox360-news/18987/max-payne-3-feature-4-hours-video

So, the Tech/Design videos are included, Four trailers are included (Trailer 1, 2, maybe the spot, and I guess the Launch trailer? Or a third trailer and a launch trailer?), leaving 3 hours of video. Maybe we get a making of video from Rockstar! That'd be a first, some behind the scenes look, footage of the actors and stuff. If they have the kind of content Naughty Dog puts into the Uncharted games, that'd be fucking awesome. I really doubt there's three hours of cut scenes in the game. Unless the Housers decided to go Kojima on Max.

I hope the game has this.

Blutonium

Quick interview with lead gameplay designer, Sergei Kuprejanov, with Patrick Klepek from Giant Bomb: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-long-wait-for-max-payne-is-almost-over/4102/

The last question is interesting. I've seen R* dodge that question multiple times now. I wonder what exactly they're hiding.

Well Rockstar isn't new to putting 'television' into a videogame, and it wouldn't be a true Max Payne game without it.

I think I'm going to start my media boycott of anything Max Payne 3 related now. I've seen more than enough, and I want to go in semi-fresh.

Fjordson

Well Rockstar isn't new to putting 'television' into a videogame, and it wouldn't be a true Max Payne game without it.
That's very true actually. They always do extra detail stuff like that (GTA shows and radio stations, Red Dead newspapers, etc.) but for some reason I wasn't expecting them to do the TV stuff for this. Makes perfect sense, though.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean it would actually have to be the tv show since i dont think esrb classifies rendered cutscenes using the game engine as 'video content'. Some times you might not even know you are watching a pre-rendered video unless its fucking BINK aka shit

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I really hope the TV shows or something like it are in 3. I loved those in the other two. A crazy South American soap opera could be hilarious.

Yeah, how dare Rockstar give away free shit. Bunch of two-faced corporate lowlifes.

And he has a point, Black Ops really nailed Bullet Time.

Am I missing something? I played through Blops and I don't remember that. Perhaps there was something but nothing that memorable?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Am I missing something? I played through Blops and I don't remember that. Perhaps there was something but nothing that memorable?
There were a couple slow mo breach sections that ended with following the bullet into the target, like the Fidel look alike but that was it.

UrbanRats

And to top it off, you've got the stereotypical hot mexican action girl who wears a cross necklace and has no personality other than reminding people that she has tits and an ass.
The only female i've seen (aside from the girl in the cover) is the blonde you have to rescue, what is he talking about?

Simo

They seem to have misinterpreted the BBFC website:
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/ADM283991/

According to the BBFC they classify and rate all separate components which Max Payne 3 has in the form of 4 hours and 10 minutes of "Supplementary Material - Cutscenes". So that could be related to actual cutscenes in the game or as somebody else mentioned perhaps it's the TV segments? Either way the trailers and design videos won't be included, they've just got those listed as being related to the game as the BBFC has classified those in the past.

Quick interview with lead gameplay designer, Sergei Kuprejanov, with Patrick Klepek from Giant Bomb: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-long-wait-for-max-payne-is-almost-over/4102/

The last question is interesting. I've seen R* dodge that question multiple times now. I wonder what exactly they're hiding.

Coolio. Thanks for the link! Yeah it's pretty nice that with only 20 days left to go much of the story has been kept under wraps. Hopefully Rockstar doesn't blow and spoils a bunch of crap with the launch trailer.

hey, please do not hate on paynereactor, I love that site have been going their for 11 years now.
I know we would all love to visit Rockstar but we will be playing the game in only 21 days! :)

Oh I know I was just teasing and I visit the PayneReactor all the time, even if it is just to look at the countdown clock most of the time....

They seem to have misinterpreted the BBFC website:
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/ADM283991/

According to the BBFC they classify and rate all separate components which Max Payne 3 has in the form of 4 hours and 10 minutes of "Supplementary Material - Cutscenes". So that could be related to actual cutscenes in the game or as somebody else mentioned perhaps it's the TV segments? Either way the trailers and design videos won't be included, they've just got those listed as being related to the game as the BBFC has classified those in the past.

Coolio. Thanks for the link! Yeah it's pretty nice that with only 20 days left to go much of the story has been kept under wraps. Hopefully Rockstar doesn't blow and spoils a bunch of crap with the launch trailer.

Oh I know I was just teasing and I visit the PayneReactor all the time, even if it is just to look at the countdown clock most of the time....

The BBFC classifies pre-release content and trailers? That seems... weird.

I posted on the other thread, but I saw the TV commercial last night for the first time and it blew me away. The song playing, "Tears", by the LA group Health (whos composing the soundtrack) was fucking mesmerizing. I ended up downloading the vid and watching it on repeat about twenty times in a row. So glad I got the Sp edition coming.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It does. It should also have dynamic button prompt swapping as well.

Thanks. Awesome, I love when games have full gamepad support. Battlefield 3 has been infuriating in this regard.

Looks like I'll definitley get the PC version. Should be a great test for my new Ivy Brige and Ram.

Now to beat Max Payne 2 before launch....

untitled-1ldlmb.png

Who the fuck put that video together. The 1911 has never even been in the series before. How could it be Max's favorite? Remedy wouldn't have fucked up like this.

That is strange, yeah, especially since the Beretta is in the game :/

But I don't care that much, the 1911 is a cool gun anyways. Dual .45s? That sounds awesome to me.

Edit: Looking at the screens Simo posted, yes, the .45 is badass.

Edit 2: Rockstar's response to the fact that the 1911 wasn't in the previous games:

@Prodigy_83 @xxShamalxx @BSRK_01163 @JustoDaDon The 1911 in Max Payne 3 is inspired by the handguns seen in previous Max Payne games

Santar

Maybe they just felt the 1911 was a more natural fit for Max or something?
Anyways I can't believe people are actually getting really upset over this.
Then again, it's the internet.

The game really looks amazing, can't wait to play it.

Anyways I can't can't believe people are actually getting really upset over this.

The game really looks amazing, can't wait to play it.

Yeah, I don't see it as a huge deal. At the end of the day... you just use whatever you have to shoot the shit out of people.

Liamario

Banned
People can't seriously be getting hung up about what type of handgun he uses.
If you are a real fan of this and paid close attention to what handgun he uses, you really have too much time on your hands. I've played through the previous games several times and it never once crossed my mind as to what type of handgun he uses.
I think it's a beretta, but again; it really has no relevance.

If it bothers you that much, I'm sure there will be mods for the game which turn the guns into berettas or whatever his chosen handgun was.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anyways I can't believe people are actually getting really upset over this.

The Beretta was a massive part of Max as a character. This makes it appear as if Rockstar never even played the first two games.

This is a *huge* deal.

Dacon

Banned
If you are a real fan of this and paid close attention to what handgun he uses, you really have too much time on your hands. I've played through the previous games several times and it never once crossed my mind as to what type of handgun he uses.

If it bothers you that much, I'm sure there will be mods for the game which turn the guns into berettas or whatever his chosen handgun was.

What a silly thing to say.

I'm not ruffled too much but it is an egregious oversight imo.

It would be like if Dante's ebony and ivory had suddenly morphed into single action armies.

derFeef

It's a damn Max Payne game, that stuff is important.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I don't think that anyone is actually mad about it, it's just a weird thing since Max's handgun of choice was always pretty obvious. They're still going to be cool as hell to use.

I don't think that anyone is actually mad about it, it's just a weird thing since Max's handgun of choice was always pretty obvious. They're still going to be cool as hell to use.

Agreed. It's weird since it was pretty in your face. I don't think anyone would have an issue if they hadn't said "Max's favourite since Day One", considering he's never been seen using it.

But whatever, it's an awesome gun.

Top Bottom