• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU Dev-Walkthrough and Direct Feed Footage: Survival Horror is Back!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
2kolh.jpg

ZombiU, developed by Ubisoft Montpellier (Rayman Origins, BG&E2, From Dust), was casted aside by many because of the CGI trailer reveal, not being a graphical showcase, and being burned hard by Red Steel for Wii. But now that more information/hands-on/videos has trickled in, not only is it apparent that ZombiU is one of the best WiiU examples of how two-screen play can be a positive addition for hardcore games, it also stands out as a horror game that actually is trying to scare us and bring a true survival horror experience to the consoles.

Developer Demo (from IGN): explains the concept of the game, what the developer is trying to acomplish, and has 10 minute playthrough of a portion of the game.

Direct Feed footage/audio of the 10 minute playthrough:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

After seeing the direction RE6 has gone, I welcome more experiences like this with open arms.

Note: Though this is currently Wii-U Exclusive, a ZombiU port to 360/PS3 is possible, and I believe it would work extremely well with SmartGlass. Edit: and if Vita/PS3 play is possible, it probably would be the most faithful of ports.

BD1

Banned
Pleasant surprise of E3. I think the idea of forcing you to take your eyes off the TV, while zombies lurk in real time around you, is a brilliant trick to raise the tension.

Neiteio

As a deep admirer of survival horror, I'm intrigued by the way asymmetric gameplay enhances the experience. Keeping the player vulnerable as they look away from the action on the main screen to manage resources or puzzles on the second screen is a stroke of genius in fueling high-tension, paranoid play.

THAT BEING SAID: Red Steel. Really, how do we know the end product won't wind up like Red Steel? I suppose it's encouraging that there aren't any control concerns with ZombiU like there were for early demos of Red Steel. But I worry this game will show early promise and then devolve into repetitive, uninspired and/or bland design...

For the time being, the game's use of the WiiU GamePad looks amazing. Makes all other efforts on the system seem lazy by comparison, honestly.

Really? Prove it, and this time, do try to include a working link.

Still bitter over Res Evil 4
Uh, why do you care if it appears on other systems?

StevieP

Banned
Just watching the analog stick aiming (i.e. clunky drags from left to right, etc) just... makes me so angry watching it. I still can't believe gamers are willing to accept such a regression and regularly play first person titles this way.

Neiteio

Just watching the analog stick aiming (i.e. clunky drags from left to right, etc) just... makes me so angry watching it. I still can't believe gamers are willing to accept such a regression and regularly play first person titles this way.
I'm at work and can't watch the videos right now. Do you mean it makes you angry as a PC person used to silky smooth mouse control, or are you saying that it looks clunky even by console FPS standards?

Have there been any impressions on this game's controls where the actual act of aiming, shooting, strafing, etc, is concerned?

Also, from what I recall watching another video a few days ago, the guns could stand to sound and look punchier.

Neiteio

Why? First person perspective gives off a better feeling of tension imo.
Yeah, a third-person viewpoint would compromise the tension in this case, since you'd have a clearer view of what's lurking in your blind spot. Plus, the fact the WiiU GamePad is presented as though you're examining a weapon, switch, etc, in first person means it makes more sense to see the game world that way as well, as though you're literally looking away from the world to check something within it.

StevieP

Banned
I'm at work and can't watch the videos right now. Do you mean it makes you angry as a PC person used to silky smooth mouse control, or are you saying that it looks clunky even by console FPS standards?

My mouse and my Wiimote are way smoother than what I saw. It looks like your standard dual-analog crap-aiming from what little I saw before I clicked x in disgust.

I would've given the game a chance if it allowed me to use the Wiimote (or a mouse) to aim the cursor.

Bulzeeb

Note: Though this is currently Wii-U Exclusive, a ZombiU port to 360/PS3 is possible, and I believe it would work extremely well with SmartGlass.

I doubt smart glass could be used in the same way they are using the Wii U controller, lack of buttons is the main problem here, perhaps a vita/ps3 port could do the trick

edit:

My mouse and my Wiimote are way smoother than what I saw. It looks like your standard dual-analog crap-aiming from what little I saw before I clicked x in disgust.

I would've given the game a chance if it allowed me to use the Wiimote (or a mouse) to aim the cursor.

this is something that bothers me, I would have liked a wii mote redesign instead of a dual analog controller and sadly this is also the reason why I won't be buying this game

StevieP

Banned
I doubt smart glass could be used in the same way they are using the Wii U controller, lack of buttons is the main problem here, perhaps a vita/ps3 port could do the trick

I wasn't aware that the Vita and PS3 were linked via a high-bandwidth Ni-Fi (rather than TCP/IP over 802.11g)

Neiteio

I agree Wiimote aiming is superior, but dual analog is by no means unplayable. Chances are you'll be able to dial up the X- and Y-axis sensitivity. I think, given the need for the second screen, the trade-off is fair and worthwhile.

is it me or is the main character's thumb slightly deformed?

It wouldnt be a big deal if I didn't have to stare at it the entire time.

Neiteio

is it me or is the main character's thumb slightly deformed?

It wouldnt be a big deal if I didn't have to stare at it the entire time.
Maybe it's just this particular survivor. When you die, you resume play as a different survivor in a different place, and eventually encounter your last character, now a zombie, who you can kill to retrieve your gear. I would assume different characters have different hands.

Coop in this game will be ACE if there is any :/

one player use the wiimote/nunchuck for shooting the other open looks/search bodies/help fight enemies with WiiU gamepad.

PERFECT!!!

The Boat

THAT BEING SAID: Red Steel. Really, how do we know the end product won't wind up like Red Steel? I suppose it's encouraging that there aren't any control concerns with ZombiU like there were for early demos of Red Steel. But I worry this game will show early promise and then devolve into repetitive, uninspired and/or bland design...

I wish people would stop saying this. It's a different studio and even if it was the same, they did Red Steel 2 which is damn good, so it wouldn't make sense anyway, not to mention that Red Steel's hands-on weren't overwhelmingly positive like in this case.

The game can turn out to be repetitive and all those things you say, but this has nothing to do with Red Steel.

MNC

- Yay, loot!
- Doesn't look too next gen...
- Zombies look nice, shamblers.
- UGH, STORYLINE
- Why can't this be more arcade-y? :/
-Way too much switching between controller and screen.
- "X TO USE KEY CARD" *presses X* "YOU NEED A KEY CARD" ----wat.

StevieP

Banned
I agree Wiimote aiming is superior, but dual analog is by no means unplayable. Chances are you'll be able to dial up the X- and Y-axis sensitivity. I think, given the need for the second screen, the trade-off is fair and worthwhile.

To me, it's pretty much unplayable. I guess it's because I'm primarily a PC gamer but the Wiimote IR (and to a much lesser degree, gyroscopic pointers like WM+ and Move) made playing cursor-based games possible on consoles.

That support will hinge whether I buy the game or not.

aeroslash

It's such a pitty this may have been given a low budget on the graphics department. It could have looked so much better with some added geometry, textures and effects..

Bulzeeb

Coop in this game will be ACE if there is any :/

one player use the wiimote/nunchuck for shooting the other open looks/search bodies/help fight enemies with WiiU gamepad.

PERFECT!!!

this is something I could get behind, it actually sounds fun but this wont be happening

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wish people would stop saying this. It's a different studio and even if it was the same, they did Red Steel 2 which is damn good, so it wouldn't make sense anyway, not to mention that Red Steel's hands-on weren't overwhelmingly positive like in this case.

The game can turn out to be repetitive and all those things you say, but this has nothing to do with Red Steel.

What makes me wary is that this game has shifted from last year so dramatically. How much quality dev time can have the team have had if this is a launch title?

Nice to see some direct feed of the game. I can see where the graphical complaints are coming from now. Technically speaking it's not too impressive but they've nailed a pretty damn fine atmosphere here so I'm not too worried about it. Would be nice to see the game get cleaned up a bit, feels a little uneven ATM. Plenty of time to clean things up before launch, will be interesting to see the final product and whether they can kill the "curse of the Red Steel."

cacildo

Looks good!

But i REALLY hope the local multiplayer using the game pad isnt only this stupid "let me put a zombie here" game.

Because that would be very very stupid!

Skiesofwonder

Well you can use Gyro controls combined with analogs (similar to Resident Evil: Revelations and Uncharted: Abyss) and that set-up is fricken awesome in every game I have played so far (better then wiimote imo).

I doubt smart glass could be used in the same way they are using the Wii U controller, lack of buttons is the main problem here, perhaps a vita/ps3 port could do the trick.

Huh, forgot about Vita. Assuming it's possible, that would be basically provide the same experience that WiiU owners will recieve. Smartglass could work as well though. In most games putting down your controller to access your tablet sounds very cumbersome, but here it might add to the immersion. Imagine having to put down you weapon (gamepad) to check your bookbag/inventory (tablet) while a Zombie could be around the corner. Scary shit.

The M.O.B

Really hate the person telling you exactly where to go, let the players figure it out themselves. Or give option to turn it off.

- Why can't this be more arcade-y? :/

Because 99% of zombies games out there are arcadey, lets not have another.

What makes me wary is that this game has shifted from last year so dramatically. How much quality dev time can have the team have had if this is a launch title?

Well, Killer Freaks was also set in London, so it's not as though they completely scrapped all their work from that version. But skepticism is definitely warranted.

It looks good. I'm definitely more interested in this title than RE6. The lack of Wii-mote pointer functionality means it's low on the totem pole of titles I'll eventually buy(no way I buy the Wii U day 1 if Nintendo is hiding this much) for the Wii U.

The idea of using the second screen for alternative stuff definitely works well with this kind of survival horror. It wouldn't be a good fit for faster titles like RE6 or Left 4 dead though.

Neiteio

Are gyro controls an option for this game? Do we have any impressions from someone who tried the game with gyro controls?

Also, the comments about this being from the Red Steel 2 team (as opposed to Red Steel 1) are encouraging.

I'm eager to see the direct-feed when I get home later to evaluate the graphics for myself. I will say that I saw the nursery gameplay video at GameTrailers and I thought the atmosphere seemed solid, with rain and darkness really ramping up the sense I'm cold and alone and exposed to danger.

The choice to set this in London was a smart idea. Interesting location, given the mix of history and cosmopolitan culture.

looks fairly standard to me, but the one feature I really like was how when you die, you play as a new character and have to find your old, zombie self to get all your supplies back. Really hope they elaborate on this instead of making it some simple gimmick.

Derrick01

Banned
Agreed. Feel the same about Dishonoured. Would be interested if it wasn't FP.

You're passing on that amazing looking game just because it's in first person view? The fuck??

You realize there's really not many view points in games right? Are you sick of them all?

pakkit

Banned
Also, the comments about this being from the Red Steel 2 team (as opposed to Red Steel 1) are encouraging.

A. The developers of Red Steel 1 and Red Steel 2 were the same.

B. This is developed by the developers of Rayman Origins, BG&E, and King Kong, Ubisoft Montpellier.

The Boat

Are gyro controls an option for this game? Do we have any impressions from someone who tried the game with gyro controls?

No no, that's not what I said, I said that if it was from the RS team they would've made RS2, so judging it on just 1 would be silly.

This is made by Ubisoft Montpellier, RS and RS2 were made by Ubisoft Paris.

EDIT: Beaten.

Looks good. Hope there is an option to remove the "Look at Wii U controller" prompt once you know when to look. Too much chit-chat over the radio also, I think most people would have been able to put together that we need a key card without the radio.

Definetely interested though. Actually more launch window games I want for the WiiU than any other console before.

EDIT: Really hoping for gyro controls too, actually a mix of analog and gyro like sniping in Killzone 2 would be another great option.

Skiesofwonder

Looks good!

But i REALLY hope the local multiplayer using the game pad isnt only this stupid "let me put a zombie here" game.

Because that would be very very stupid!

Agreed.

But I do I think the mode currently announced has the potential to be something special with the casual-gamer crowd. The ability for a hardcore (FPS) gamer to play the survivor while a casual player can play the Zombie master is pretty brilliant. My girlfriend is all in Zombie mode because of the Walking Dead, and she went crazy when I showed her the multiplayer mode. She can't get a grasp around controlling a character with one analog while controlling the camera with the other, so this is the first time she will actually be able to play a zombie game with me.

Top Bottom