• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
My wife will kill me but I just bought a DSi XL (Bronze) new online. Now I can really test any differences.

In a week I will be saying WTF did I do. I will have immense regret. Oh well.

Does anyone else have an issue where they can feel a slight separation between the bottom faceplate and the system on the left side? It's easy enough to snap that side of the faceplate on and off but when I snap it back on it still doesn't rest completely snug against the system and it's been irritating me lately. I'm thinking about applying a thin coating of super glue in between the plate and the system to keep it from moving. It's a really minor issue though, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed it.

Besides that I'm loving my XL so far, it's a great upgrade from the original.

Mine had that exact problem too and it was annoying me, honestly I put a tiny bit of glue on the sides too and it fixed it up nicely. Keep in mind if you attempt it too, you need to open it to get to the battery I think, but I'm hoping that either I wont ever have to or the tiny bit of glue used will just 'break' off if I ever need to get in there.

It sounds crazy but I managed to do mine so you'd never even notice something had been done. I got the idea from having to do it with my DSi years ago lol, that was a success story too.

My wife will kill me but I just bought a DSi XL (Bronze) new online. Now I can really test any differences.

Once I got my 3DS I felt like I had to play all of my DS games on it from that point forward. Why you ask? Activity Log. It's so great.

Mine had that exact problem too and it was annoying me, honestly I put a tiny bit of glue on the sides too and it fixed it up nicely. Keep in mind if you attempt it too, you need to open it to get to the battery I think, but I'm hoping that either I wont ever have to or the tiny bit of glue used will just 'break' off if I ever need to get in there.

It sounds crazy but I managed to do mine so you'd never even notice something had been done. I got the idea from having to do it with my DSi years ago lol, that was a success story too.
Wow, so I'm not the only one after all! Glad the glue plan worked out for you, I'll probably give it a shot this evening.

Nah, you'll be glad you did and will never be able to go back to playing your DS games on the 3DS XL.

RPGCrazied

Question about the 3D. Obviously it uses more battery with it on, but does it matter if its set to max or medium to how much more battery it uses?

Just wondering.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Question about the 3D. Obviously it uses more battery with it on, but does it matter if its set to max or medium to how much more battery it uses?

Just wondering.

The strength of the 3D is determined by the distance between the two in-game cameras, rather than being a mechanical thing, so I doubt there's a difference in battery usage between low-med-high setting.

Nah, you'll be glad you did and will never be able to go back to playing your DS games on the 3DS XL.

Actually, it's not hard to get rid of the DSI and go full-DS on the 3DS XL. The difference isn't that great, to be honest. I wouldn't have said that with the awful original 3DS, though.

Just wondering.
I would guess having it on at all causes the battery to drain faster, I can't see why it would make a difference where you had the slider. Either way the screen is generating two images.

In other news I've been replaying the campaign of Ghost Recon Shadow Wars on my XL, man what an awesome game and looks great on the big screen. It makes me wish there was a way to zoom out even farther.

I have a question about how downloadable games like DSiWare work. I'm thinking of getting a DSiXL now and potentially a 3DS XL down the line. From what I understand, purchases you make from the DSi can be transferred to a 3DS over Wi-Fi, but does that remove the game from the DSi? Basically, can I have downloaded games on both a DSi and 3DS?

RPGCrazied

Ok, thanks. I was wondering why it was seeming to lose charge faster... and I only had it set 2 or so notches above min. I can't do max, or my eyes implode. lol

I did do a test with no wifi or 3d and got about 4 hours, maybe a little more but I started to charge as soon as I saw the red light.

Anteo

I guess as a first time through the temple I have to admit I found it to be good fun to play through. There were quite a few times that I was stuck thinking of where to go next or what to try, but that is the same as any good dungeon. It never became a chore or an ordeal like what I hear the original version of it did at times.

Imagine walking twice as slow under water, having to pause the game to change boots, and not remembering the way to change the water level because everything is blue and you wouldnt remember the way at first. I remember going in circles a lot before getting use to the layout.

PLUS, no other Zelda game (that I had played at the time) had trained me to deal with water levels like that, changing the way a floor is reached and explored every time.

Also, that passage in the center tower, I wasted like an hour before thinking to check there.

as long as you have a decent amount of hearts the tunic is pretty much pointless.

The water dungeon isn't difficult just tedious and boring. It just happens to be more tedious and boring than the rest of the game thanks to how slow it is to do everything.

I though you just died when the time runs out underwater. The more you know...

I went and exchanged my launch day XL today, was willing to use another system transfer, if I had to.
I wanted a tighter volume slider, hinge, Lbutton and DPad.

The first new unit they gave as a replacement was nice, except the top LCD had a seam between the body and screen = could clearly see the metal housing. Was unacceptable.

The next unit has a tight hinge, a tight volume slider, a solid DPad that doesn't jiggle around and clearer 3D for some reason. I'm so happy.

Doing another transfer now ^_^

Finished transfer: the hinge has a quieter, more subtle snap/click, too.

filipe

Just bought Cave Story 3D for my brand new (silver) 3DS XL, and I must say they seem like a perfect match.
Everything is so tiny in this game, playing it on the original 3DS must have been a real pain.

Nah, wasn't bad at all. Great game though, good pickup.

urfe

I went and exchanged my launch day XL today, was willing to use another system transfer, if I had to.
I wanted a tighter volume slider, hinge, Lbutton and DPad.

The first new unit they gave as a replacement was nice, except the top LCD had a seam between the body and screen = could clearly see the metal housing. Was unacceptable.

The next unit has a tight hinge, a tight volume slider, a solid DPad that doesn't jiggle around and clearer 3D for some reason. I'm so happy.

Doing another transfer now ^_^

Finished transfer: the hinge has a quieter, more subtle snap/click, too.

The variance is interesting. My only issue is the slightly loose hinge, but it's so much better than my OG 3DS that I don't mind and can ignore it really easily.

idwl

Got mine today, the red is nice . The hinge sound freaks me out though, good I read that its normal. No dead pixels or any problems so far. The screen is definitely warmer than the original, but nothing major.

Transferring was a pain though, took forever.

While in store someone was buying a wii+nsmb bundle, was cool to see that there are still a lot of potential customers, even though nintendo has completely abandoned it.

RPGCrazied

My top screen has a slight wobble now when its totally folded out. Not bad enough for me to get all mad about it. I guess over time, opening and closing and clicking it many times is just going to get loose.

Sol1dus

Yeah, I figured I said the same one. Just be happy for me. :p

Went to two different GS today and no luck finding RE Mercenaries. Though I don't think I want to find it for $40... Might just go with Amazon then.

ElFly

So I bought a 3DS XL last week, but I discovered the bottom plate was loose. So I could put my finger under the online switch, and I can pull down the plate to reveal the partially the interior of the 3DS.

The store is refusing the warranty cause they say all 3ds xl are like that and I don't believe them.

They are crazy, right?

Does anyone else have an issue where they can feel a slight separation between the bottom faceplate and the system on the left side? It's easy enough to snap that side of the faceplate on and off but when I snap it back on it still doesn't rest completely snug against the system and it's been irritating me lately. I'm thinking about applying a thin coating of super glue in between the plate and the system to keep it from moving. It's a really minor issue though, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed it.

Besides that I'm loving my XL so far, it's a great upgrade from the original.

fuck!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So I bought a 3DS XL last week, but I discovered the bottom plate was loose. So I could put my finger under the online switch, and I can pull down the plate to reveal the partially the interior of the 3DS.

The store is refusing the warranty cause they say all 3ds xl are like that and I don't believe them.

They are crazy, right?

fuck!
Holy shit, you can easily slip your fingernail in there

edit, oh fuck don't put your nail where it says wireless

tho I kinda want to open it now.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
"I can easily stick my fingernail in the slot and pry the bottom part of the casing off"

So don't stick your fingernail in there and pry it open?

Owzers

"I can easily stick my fingernail in the slot and pry the bottom part of the casing off"

So don't stick your fingernail in there and pry it open?

My bottom case sticks out a little at the bottom left edge of the unit...but i tried to stick my fingernail under the wifi area. You should have told us not to earlier, but the case wasn't loose there.

Sol1dus

They are crazy, right?

fuck!

I was just about to post this. I freaked the f*ck out like 5 minutes ago...

Mine's a bit loose. My fingers can feel the plastic move in and out when I hold it. So when I checked with my finger, I pried it open and got scared. -_- yeah, this system's saving grace is the big screens cause the build quality barely rivals that of something you'd find in the toddler section of Toys R' US.

RPGCrazied

I'm not trying to pry anything off, if it looks like it can come off, its staying on. The only thing I have is the slight wobble on the top screen.

Dicer

Banned
I swear people are poking and prodding at this thing trying to find fault for the sake of it...

I have zero issues with mine, it must be some rare system, from the looks of it one in a million.

ugh...

Sol1dus

I swear people are poking and prodding at this thing trying to find fault for the sake of it...

I have zero issues with mine, it must be some rare system, from the looks of it one in a million.

ugh...

I honestly haven't looked for any faults on purpose. But you know when you touch something and you can tell that the plastic is loose? Well that's what happened. And since its not a cheap electronic, I got a little paranoid. In any case, still loving the system.

Also, got Mario Kart 7 today for $15 at the local pawn shop. Its the first game I can't play with 3D off. It looks fantastic and the online balloon pop mode is very fun.

RPGCrazied

ugh...

My issue is coming from normally opening/closing of the unit. It felt tighter on day 1, but feels looser now.

CLEEK

I don't think there is any doubt the build quality of the XL isn't the greatest. One of the few good things about the design of the normal 3DS is it felt solid and well put together. But that's the only area where the XL is weaker than the original, and the outer shells feeling a little loose doesn't impact on ergonomics one bit.

But it's like the move from the PSP-1000 to the 2000 and 3000. The revisions has cheaper felling build quality, but were much better ergonomically.

ugh...

The problem is you dont have to poke and prod to find many of the problems. Screens that are different temps, the bottom of the device smudging or scratching the top, dead/stuck pixels, loose bottom plate, etc etc. I don't think people actually want it to be defective. It just happens.

On my good XL the bottom plate is very secure. The one I returned today wasn't loose, but it also wasn't lined up well at all, and actually produced a bit of a sharp edge.

I'm happy with my current XL, although the screens are far too warm, but I'm happy because they're equally over-warm.

It might seem OCD or something but like I said on the other page, I had to fix up my system cause of the lower section case separation was bothering me while actually using the thing. Unlike something like a possibly floppy screen (I can't tell if my one is 'normal' or not) which doesn't affect me while playing. Not just looking for things to complain about, I've been pining for a 3DS XL since before I even purchased my OG 3DS at launch! I want the system to be awesome cause I friggin love everything else about it.

The way I hold it I could feel it 'pinching' my skin every so often (not in a painful way just enough to know that its happening). I slid tiny dabs of super glue in the gap (both sides, yes my system was loose both sides :| ) and everything is perfect now. It was pretty easy to pry up enough juuuuust to get the glue there using a bit of card to dab it in and close again with NO issues at all. Thats how much my one would separate. Didn't even need to unscrew anything.

Speaking off, I tried tightening the screws first obviously hoping that would fix but it didn't.

I had to do a similar thing for my DSi back in the days, it had a similar problem and the glue thing worked fine then too.

It really shouldn't be so loose, I know the battery is in there but I'll worry about that issue when/if I ever need to (never have before), right now I'm happily playing with no issues at all so thats me sorted. :D

My Dad got a blue 3DS XL just today for him and my brother to use so it will be interesting to look at theirs and compare.

Baconbitz

Banned
You guys are like "OMG there's a little speck of dust on my screen let me take it back" paranoid. On another note I got my cradle from playasia. I like it better then the original. Docks easier then the OG system. Just drop and it starts charging.

You guys are like "OMG there's a little speck of dust on my screen let me take it back" paranoid. On another note I got my cradle from playasia. I like it better then the original. Docks easier then the OG system. Just drop and it starts charging.

Hurray for hyperbole.

I have a question about how downloadable games like DSiWare work. I'm thinking of getting a DSiXL now and potentially a 3DS XL down the line. From what I understand, purchases you make from the DSi can be transferred to a 3DS over Wi-Fi, but does that remove the game from the DSi? Basically, can I have downloaded games on both a DSi and 3DS?

Anyone?

My Dad just dropped in his 3DS XL so I could sort out the transfer for him, Blue in real life is awesome! My silver looks a bit plain in comparison but thats ok I still love it. <3

Top screen is just as floppy as my one is too, no big deal. Charging it now so I dunno if there are any dead pixels etc yet haven't turned it on, I can't tell if it has the loose bottom shell thing so hopefully that means no.

His touch screen pen thing sits way snugger in the system than my one does, mine jiggles around a lot lol. I mainly just play with it out anyway just interesting to see the differences in build to the same things all purchased at launch.

It moves it across, so it will be on the 3DS if you transfer it but not on the DSi anymore.

Tenbatsu

I tried Excite Bike on the XL and man is the game loud. As for some 3DS titles, am not sure why they are so soft. I do hope Nintendo can address the sound issue on the XL soon.

oatmeal

Banned
Got mine today.

Kind of annoyed at the transfer process. I was under the assumption that I could just do it at Gamestop, wasn't the case.

Had to buy the XL outright, go home, do the transfer with the OG 3DS, then go back to GS and return the XL, which put the money back on my card, and then trade in the 3DS and re-buy the XL.

Stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom