• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiiiLife

Man I'm a fan of Fab, or at least I used to be. But now I can't stand dude. I'm not sure if it's his voice or my tastes have dramatically changed.

Esch

Banned
somewhat disgusted by gaf hop right now, lot of top 10s reading like tumblrs of 16 year old white girls

Honorable mentions for me : Reasonable Doubt, Below the Heavens, Mmmm.... Foood, The Diary, Mystic Styles, Me Against the World, Madvillainy, Pilot Talk, From Filthy Tongues of Gods and Griots, Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star, and acouple others

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
TTop Ten Instrumental Albums

DJ Shadow - Entroducing
Deep Concentration - The Future of Experimental Hip-Hop Various Artists
DJ Krush - Kakusei
Nobody - Soulmates
DJ Spooky - Songs of a Dead Dreamer
Prince Paul - Psychoanalysis (What Is It?)
DJ Frane - Frane's Fantastic Boat Ride
Rza - Ghost Dog Japanese Soundtrack
Avalanches - Since I Left You
Fat Jon The Ample Soul Physician - Lightweight Heavy

I need to educate myself on this list.

CRS

Who the fuck cares what other people think?

I find it funny that Esch is trippin' out over Cudi and Lupe on people's list.

But I am kinda surprised people have Pilot Talk 1 over 2 on their list. Always liked 2 more than 1.

Esch

Banned
All these lists just show how diverse this genre is and how many great albums there have been in a relatively short time. /salute

Not really, apart from a couple outliers its exactly what youd expect. Couple wu-tang albums, some kanye stuff, a smattering of tupac and nas, a smidgen of biggie... and then one or two indie albums from the naughties. Pretty much everyone's is by the numbers except thabiz, blackace, and a couple others. Interesting to see how everyones top 10/hon mentions inform their taste though

Here we go. Lol. I'm in for a doozy.
actually i just read yours and i can fuck with it minus a couple

Glass Rebel

Not really, apart from a couple outliers its exactly what youd expect. Couple wu-tang albums, some kanye stuff, a smattering of tupac and nas, a smidgen of biggie... and then one or two indie albums from the naughties. Pretty much everyone's is by the numbers except thabiz, blackace, and a couple others. Interesting to see how everyones top 10/hon mentions inform their taste though

Obviously, but there's still a good amount of artists from different sub-genres.

Esch

Banned
Is it Luda's and Lupe's? Lol. Where Recon at doe? Be bussing out the Lupe albums.

Nah its actually Eminem. I cant give that lame self indulgent bullshit any time of day/respect. Id also switch out a couple albums by certain artists on there for other ones, but its all good.

Who the fuck cares what other people think?

I find it funny that Esch is trippin' out over Cudi and Lupe on people's list.

But I am kinda surprised people have Pilot Talk 1 over 2 on their list. Always liked 2 more than 1.

Can't help it. Shit disgusts me.

I'm not surprised you like PT2 more, its a bit more of a laid back album. I think the first has more energy, flows better from track to track, and is a consistently better listen all the way through. The guest appearances are well employed too and cover up Spitta's weaknesses/repetition as well. PT2 has some of Curren$ys best though. Famous is a top 5 spitta song.

Macca

No order.

Nas - Illmatic
GZA- liquid Swords
Yelawolf -Trunk Muzik 0-60
Eminem - The Em Show
Kanye - Late Registration (today)
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Teriyaki Boyz - Beef or Chicken
Kid Cudi - MotM 1
Eric B & Rakim - Paid in Full
Fort Minor - The Rising Tied
Dr. Dre - I Need a Doctor (Single)

Esch

Banned
There's a reason why some albums end up on so many top ten lists.

its more about demographics to me. You ask top 10s from people on Allhiphop, the coli, boxden, pitchfork you're gonna get vastly different results then what you see here. Moreso you'll see artists stand out more than albums. For example there isnt as much illmatic as you might expect from people in this topic, but there is a decent amount of Nas. So some emcees will be on many lists due to critical or commercial salience.... But just as much you'll see factors like age and ethnicity making a dent in top 10 lists along with any sort of 'objectively good' albums, whatever that shit means.

Aight shit we doing a top tens list? Lets get it.

GZA - Liquid Swords

images

Wu Tang - 36 Chambers

Snoop - DoggyStyle

GangStarr - Moment of Truth

Mobb Deep - Hell on Earth

Nas - Illmatic

Makaveli - 7 Day Theory

DMX - Its Dark and Hell is Hot

ATCQ - Midnight Marauders

Jay Z - The Black Album (Black Album >>> Blueprint = Reasonable Doubt)

Honourable mentions

Ghost - Supreme Clientelle
Redman - Muddy Waters
50 - Get Rich or Die Trying
Dre - Chronic + 2001
U-God - Golden Arms Redemption, Mr Xcitement, Dopium.

CRS

its more about demographics to me. You ask top 10s from people on Allhiphop, the coli, boxden, pitchfork you're gonna get vastly different results then what you see here. Moreso you'll see artists stand out more than albums. For example there isnt as much illmatic as you might expect from people in this topic, but there is a decent amount of Nas. So some emcees will be on many lists due to critical or commercial salience.... But just as much you'll see factors like age and ethnicity making a dent in top 10 lists along with any sort of 'objectively good' albums, whatever that shit means.

Age is the most apparent factor in these lists. With the exception of WanderingWind, I'm sure everyone that had Lupe on their list is around their mid 20's.

If it wasn't a personal top 10, I'm sure there would be more Nas and less Lupe.

I can see what you mean. Personally I had to leave out it was written cause I don't even bump that album like that. Can't remember the last time I listened to it. Still love it though but rather put what I consistently play although I left a few out that really could be in my top 10 because how much I listen to them.

My ten favorite albums no order..

Nas - Illmatic

Kanye West - College Dropout

Ice Cube - The Predator

Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city

Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous

The Game - The Documentary

Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day

Nas - It Was Written

The Notorious B.I.G - Ready To Die

T.I. - King

I could go on and on..but these are the CD's I remember listening to the most and enjoying the most

Extra's:
OutKast - ATLiens
Eminem - Slim Shady LP/Eminem Show
50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Ludacris - Release Therapy
Kanye West - Late Registration/Graduation/MBDTF
Jay Z - Black Album
Tyler The Creator - Goblin
J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story

Bro I posted an avatar a few pages back of the same kendrick avatar but the quality is better. Please get it, can't be having Gaf-hop members looking sloppy

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

We have a fairly diverse demographic here. I think commercial success ties directly into people actually hearing the albums in the first place, so naturally that will factor heavily into personal favorites. Commercial success doesn't equal quality, but it definitely equals exposure. There are probably MCs out there who could be among the greatest ever to breathe into a mic, but they're just unknown to the world. It's sort of a sad reality of any industry, really.

Age definitely had something to do with my Tupac selection. It was my first rap cassette, so it has a personal favorite spot forever. I imagine a lot of people have albums that were their first exposure to certain styles into their favorites.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We have a fairly diverse demographic here. I think commercial success ties directly into people actually hearing the albums in the first place, so naturally that will factor heavily into personal favorites. Commercial success doesn't equal quality, but it definitely equals exposure. There are probably MCs out there who could be among the greatest ever to breathe into a mic, but they're just unknown to the world. It's sort of a sad reality of any industry, really.

Age definitely had something to do with my Tupac selection. It was my first rap cassette, so it has a personal favorite spot forever. I imagine a lot of people have albums that were their first exposure to certain styles into their favorites.
Yeah.. I don't see any correlation between demographic on a site that isn't centred around music in the first place. Stretching the association pretty far there.

And even still, demographics in the internet is a pretty messy combination as is.

HiResDes

Pilot Talk OG is the better album for sure, though two has some really high highs. I think Covert Coup might edge it out for me though

Anyone check out GMB yet?

Oddly enough, if Greatest Hits count I'd put like 3 Pac albums on there, but none if we can't. I think that's just cheating though.

I know exactly what you mean. All Eyez on Me barely escaped my list.

Ice Cube, Quik, D.O.C., Snoop, Dr. Dre(?)

Man, I forgot Quik as well. Seriously, only 10 albums is fucked up.

Funny how your top 1 is easier than your Top 10.

Yup.

After reading everyones list I could easily swap a couple out.
At least we didn't do top 10 songs now that would be difficult

HiResDes

No greatest hits and you guys are taking this too seriously lol. Illmatic and Ready to Die dont have to grace every list. Also honorable mentions half as long as your lists kind of defeats the purpose.

Detox

Illmatic being on the list isn't about seriousness. It's just that I could sit there and listen to it every single day for the rest of my life and I won't get tired. Nas just went crazy on the album, the beats are good but the rapping is just on a whole different level. If someone asks me what is hiphop I will direct them to it, he just hits every single note for me. More people need to recognise the genius of the album outside of hiphop, kids should be taught about it in their curriculum. It will be far more engaging to urban kids to teach them about literary criticism using Illmatic than anything they are doing at the moment.

Maybe it's just the influence Illmatic had on me but prior to listening to it, I wasn't much of a fan of reading and stuff but then I listened to Illmatic a few times and started decoding it. I was all up on urban dictionary figuring it out and was just blowing my mind every time I did. It got me interested in reading, the power of words etc and in turn changed my life. I wouldn't be where I am without it.

Esch

Banned
Pilot Talk OG is the better album for sure, though two has some really high highs. I think Covert Coup might edge it out for me though

I like CC a lot, i listened to it a ton, but I kinda wish there were more diverse beats on there or something. It can get.....doldrummy sometimes on full listens. CC could have been a perfect album, it just needed a couple more bells and whistles. I like the rawness and atmosphere that a full alc album brings, but sometimes i find some of these full projects to be a bit too cohesive :)lol :lol) or something. Maybe im just buggin.

No greatest hits and you guys are taking this too seriously lol. Illmatic and Ready to Die dont have to grace every list. Also honorable mentions half as long as your lists kind of defeats the purpose.

its not fun without the fussing and fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom