• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

TheOddOne

This isn't thread worthy, but the guy that did the concept Microsoft redesign thing a while ago is now working for MS for the Xbox.
Big News.

I'm working at Microsoft as of Summer.

Xbox to be specific.

It’s true. I’m going to go work for Microsoft. When my Microsoft rebranding project went viral, I frequently got asked if I was approached by them. "Yes" is the short answer but this relationship has actually been going on for nearly 6 months.

This was a difficult choice to make. I was approached by countless companies with offers, ranging from electronics manufacturers to ad agencies. Some of the companies that approached were the makers of my favorite products ever. I am even a “fanboy” of some of them. But when it came time to make my final decision, I wanted to work at a place I can really get excited about. Working at a company is like getting married, it becomes a fundamental part of your life. I want to work with awesome people on awesome projects that I can get excited about. If you’ve been watching Microsoft over the past year, it’s been exciting, regardless of what your ecosystem preference is.

I can’t talk about the details of how things fell into place but the choice became obvious. I'll be designing for Microsoft as of summer. I promise that I’ll make the my greatest work ever while I'm there.

I want to thank every reader of Minimally Minimal for the support so far. Without you, I would have never been able to get to where I am. You have been the wind beneath my wings, my catalyst, my mentor. I hope you’ve been able to see me grow since 2009, the beginning of this blog, and continue to see my work develop in the future. I still have my final semester of school left, and MM is only 3 years old. Don’t take this as the end of me as a curious designer, it’s only the beginning.

Always looking forward,

Andrew

I want to make it clear that MM has no plans of closing. I’ll continue to share my thoughts with you. The details of what I can/can’t post is still in discussion but this will always be a blog about my honest opinions on subjects I care about.

Also: Remember my secret collaboration project with Microsoft in 2012? Well, the IP is being acquired by Microsoft so it will have to stay confidential. I know that many people were looking forward to seeing it so I’m sorry to say that it’ll have to be tucked away for now.

sangreal

That's interesting, I remember when that concept was making the rounds here. I wonder what he is working on... UI? I'd guess branding, but I'm sure any new xbox branding will just be inline with the windows 8 stuff

Can't help but feel that his designs feel too hipster/modern.

He won't be on his own; these types are great in a team.
As concepts his stuff seems quite cool.

One of his quotes on there is fucking great "The new logo for 2012 is radical but does not shed the past. The window in perspective is also visually uncomfortable when applied to products."

I like the logo. I just fucking hate it on the front of the tablet/phones. I mean why?
It says a lot of bad things about the company (controlling, arrogant); takes away from the product; adds nothing.

So microsoft did show that kinect / projector illumiroom demo at Samsung's presser at CES.

Could a Samsung / MS partnership do anything for the next xbox?

Tagg9

So microsoft did show that kinect / projector illumiroom demo at Samsung's presser at CES.

Could a Samsung / MS partnership do anything for the next xbox?

Not sure. Samsung can probably hook them up with cheap RAM and flash memory (Samsung has 40% market share in both categories).

Reiko

Banned
I don't see anything there that could not have been posted by someone who read GAF and Eurogamer/vg247 specs. This person might work in the industry but he's not a techie.

In his opening post he said that KOTOR was Bioware's first console game. That's wrong. It was MDK2 on Dreamcast. They later ported it to PC the same year, then later to PS2.

televator

So I'm thinking, and maybe someone can set me straight, what's to say that we aren't looking at dev hardware specs (more RAM) for both Orbis and Durango at this point?

StevieP

Banned
So I'm thinking, and maybe someone can set me straight, what's to say that we aren't looking at dev hardware specs (more RAM) for both Orbis and Durango at this point?

Dev systems are quite a bit different from target sheets/specs. For example, Microsoft's current dev PC has 12gb of ddr3, 4 of which is reserved for debug.

televator

Dev systems are quite a bit different from target sheets/specs. For example, Microsoft's current dev PC has 12gb of ddr3, 4 of which is reserved for debug.

Oh, I see. So target specs (and I'm assuming that's the nature of the info that's been leaking) are specific to consumer hardware.

Ding

Okay, here's some idle speculation....

If we take the current rumors at face value, and that's a big "if", it would appear that MS is cheaping out on the hardware a bit, and/or a lot of the budget is going towards a Kinect pack-in. I don't personally believe in the Kinect pack-in rumor, but either way, the current speculation points to a 720 that is a more "modest" upgrade, while the PS4 is a somewhat more ambitious one. (Although neither look to be as bleeding-edge as past generations were.)

So, assuming the above is true, how am I supposed to feel about it? Well, I'm a mild-mannered xbot graphics whore, and frankly, I'm underwhelmed. It would all be somewhat of a bummer. Do I jump ship? Maybe, but consider these possibilities:

Maybe MS is planning on undercutting Sony, and perhaps even Nintendo, on price. If they don't pack in Kinect, imagine a $199 launch price. That would require them to lose money on each sale, but that's nothing new. Except this time, instead of subsidizing fabulous hardware to make it (barely) affordable to rabid gamers, they would be subsidizing more modest hardware to appeal to, well, everybody else. If they really want to "own the living room", or become everyone's "media hub", they gotta know that price is super critical factor to adoption. They may need to get down into the Roku and Apple TV pricing realm. (I have no idea what Apple TV costs. Let's pretend it's $199.)

Okay, so what about us Xbox gamers? Are we screwed? Are the PS4 fans going to be constantly kicking sand in our face? Probably, but what if MS has decided to shake things up and accelerate the console "generations"? Perhaps the Next-Nextbox is slated to come out in, I dunno, 4 years. Or 3, if you want to get really crazy. I think 4 is more realistic, so they would have time to cost-reduce the box at least once, and start actually making money on it. They'd obviously need other revenue streams to make this work.

Basically, instead of $400 consoles every 8 years, we get $200 consoles every 4 years. That's still about twice as slow as PC "generations", and 4 times as slow as tablets and phones. I could live with that.

But the first one of those "cheap consoles", and that's the 720, is going to sting. It won't be the awesome, order of magnitude type of jump that everybody so enjoys. But, once MS poots out another one in 2017, it seems likely that that one would then be more powerful than the PS4. The shoe would on the other foot then, boy howdy! Could Sony quickly pop out the PS5 in order to remain hardware-dominate? Not really, because their base might not be ready/able to pay another $400, and Sony would have barely "paid off" the PS4 development at that point.

Anyway, that's my crazy hypothesis. Cheaper consoles, more often. Discuss.

derFeef

Even if the lastest rumors are true, it's still not that bad people make it seem to be. Maybe it has slower memory and maybe it's a tad slower in regards of streaming/loading, but more meory has also benefits. We will see.

I still think kinect built in, IF it's built in, will happen only in the higher priced option.

It seems to be such an expensive device, that if it's to come in with every sku then it will either make it very expensive, or, it will certainly compromise the kind of hardware they can actually put in the system.

And I honestly don't believe that MS can come up with something cheaper than Orbis that performs at the same level, if only because Orbis seems to be a very conservative design when compared to PS3 and PS2, and the documentation and dev tools will be good enough for sure.

If they lose the core, MS will be going all in with a terrible hand.

Clockwork

Okay, so what about us Xbox gamers? Are we screwed? Are the PS4 fans going to be constantly kicking sand in our face?

Or people could drop the fanboy bullshit and just be gamers. Corporate/brand loyalty is nonsense and does nothing but limit your experiences.

Okay, here's some idle speculation....

If we take the current rumors at face value, and that's a big "if", it would appear that MS is cheaping out on the hardware a bit, and/or a lot of the budget is going towards a Kinect pack-in. I don't personally believe in the Kinect pack-in rumor, but either way, the current speculation points to a 720 that is a more "modest" upgrade, while the PS4 is a somewhat more ambitious one. (Although neither look to be as bleeding-edge as past generations were.)

So, assuming the above is true, how am I supposed to feel about it? Well, I'm a mild-mannered xbot graphics whore, and frankly, I'm underwhelmed. It would all be somewhat of a bummer. Do I jump ship? Maybe, but consider these possibilities:

Maybe MS is planning on undercutting Sony, and perhaps even Nintendo, on price. If they don't pack in Kinect, imagine a $199 launch price. That would require them to lose money on each sale, but that's nothing new. Except this time, instead of subsidizing fabulous hardware to make it (barely) affordable to rabid gamers, they would be subsidizing more modest hardware to appeal to, well, everybody else. If they really want to "own the living room", or become everyone's "media hub", they gotta know that price is super critical factor to adoption. They may need to get down into the Roku and Apple TV pricing realm. (I have no idea what Apple TV costs. Let's pretend it's $199.)

Okay, so what about us Xbox gamers? Are we screwed? Are the PS4 fans going to be constantly kicking sand in our face? Probably, but what if MS has decided to shake things up and accelerate the console "generations"? Perhaps the Next-Nextbox is slated to come out in, I dunno, 4 years. Or 3, if you want to get really crazy. I think 4 is more realistic, so they would have time to cost-reduce the box at least once, and start actually making money on it. They'd obviously need other revenue streams to make this work.

Basically, instead of $400 consoles every 8 years, we get $200 consoles every 4 years. That's still about twice as slow as PC "generations", and 4 times as slow as tablets and phones. I could live with that.

But the first one of those "cheap consoles", and that's the 720, is going to sting. It won't be the awesome, order of magnitude type of jump that everybody so enjoys. But, once MS poots out another one in 2017, it seems likely that that one would then be more powerful than the PS4. The shoe would on the other foot then, boy howdy! Could Sony quickly pop out the PS5 in order to remain hardware-dominate? Not really, because their base might not be ready/able to pay another $400, and Sony would have barely "paid off" the PS4 development at that point.

Anyway, that's my crazy hypothesis. Cheaper consoles, more often. Discuss.

Thing is, this the first maybe second generation to last 7-8 years.

The jump from the Xbox to the 360 was 4 years with pretty kick ass hardware. After 8 years the best Microsoft can do is a .5 jump? That where my hope lies...

If they cheaped out, it was out of greed and nothing else.

Or people could drop the fanboy bullshit and just be gamers. Corporate/brand loyalty is nonsense and does nothing but limit your experiences.

Although fanboys are terrible, the core audience is still made of fans. Those fans weren't Xbox fans since they were born, and if there's a better gaming product out there they will try to find it. It will be pretty easy to find it, if it's standing right beside.

Clockwork

Although fanboys are terrible, the core audience is still made of fans. Those fans weren't Xbox fans since they were born, and if there's a better gaming product out there they will try to find it. It will be pretty easy to miss it, if it's standing right beside.

I just think that's sad and is something I could never relate to.

I've always purchased just about every game console I could, not because of some ridiculous loyalty or brand preference, but because I love games.

I don't care if Durango is weaker than Orbis or vice versa because at the end of the day I know I'll own both anyway.

(I know this is now off topic, so I'll drop the convo)

I've always purchased just about every game console I could, not because of some ridiculous loyalty or brand preference, but because I love games.

I don't care if Durango is weaker than Orbis or vice versa because at the end of the day I know I'll own both anyway.

Same here.

Well that's not sad at all, unless you think it's sad that other people don't have as much money as you.

It's a question of budget.

399$ x 2 + 299$ = 1097$

Now that's before games are factored in. I don't think there are enough gamers out there with that kind of budget, so companies have to rely on building brand loyalty. That is created by delivering on the promise of the console, and in that sense the Xbox 1 and Xbox 360 were "state of the art". That's 2/2, so now core Xbox gamers want the same...If MS doesn't deliver, it is possible that core fans will still lineup to buy the system but the impact of MS not delivering what the relationship expects, means that they would start bleeding from this mistake sooner rather than later.

I think it's a real shame if the need to pack in Kinect 2 has compromised specs.

I loved the jump to 360, it was huge and the promised jump to the ps3 never materialised (though I bought one anyway). A graphics fan I was delighted with it and it took a long time to go back to pc.

If it's genuinely compromised this time then I think I'll skip. If sony have got a genuine powerhouse this time then that's the console I would get if I get one.

I'm certainly not happy to buy a box that charges for online and yet is weaker with a gimmick I gave up on soon after it launched in all honesty.

Gorillaz

Brand loyalty started with Nintendo and Sony in the early days (90's) but this gen was when it hit a fever pitch. I mean I have never seen it so deadlocked on both sides of the whole "us" vs "them".

Clockwork

Brand loyalty started with Nintendo and Sony in the early days (90's) but this gen was when it hit a fever pitch. I mean I have never seen it so deadlocked on both sides of the whole "us" vs "them".

You don't need to tell me that. Even then I had an SMS/NES and SNES/Genesis though.

TheOddOne

It's just the notion of people trying to justify their purchase. If it didn’t bother them that much, they would not post snarky replies or try to downplay another product. Be happy with what you have.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kinect doesn't move enough software to justify packing it in every SKU. And the software it does move would move just fine on the 360, because it's not like people need next gen graphics for Fruit Ninja 2. I don't see it happening unless they figured out how to do it without expensive extra hardware.

Kinect doesn't move enough software to justify packing it in every SKU. And the software it does move would move just fine on the 360, because it's not like people need next gen graphics for Fruit Ninja 2. I don't see it happening unless they figured out how to do it without expensive extra hardware.

It would be crazy actually and it would probably bite them in the ass.
Later in the generation when the trade for packing in kinect instead of more processing power. The console will show its age earlier 1.24 Tflops vs 1.84 Tflops was it. That is what 2.5 times 360 or ps 3 difference if they dont pack in specialized silicon chunks or if these rumors are true. And why should people buy something they probably aren't intending to use so they are forced to pay a extra $50 for a device they wont use.

And the people thinking kinect will be built in dont know how kinect will work unless it somehow can do time of flight calculation through wood,metal or glass for the people not wanting to expose their consoles.

Its not a well thought out concept packing in kinect or built it in.

I think the applications, if it is packed in, will be beyond just software. it will be probably be one of the ways for dashboard navigation through movement or voice commands as well as using it for other non game related applications.

I hope that's not the case, but it would be pretty cool if you could just say xbox (or nickname) on and command it to be load whatever game / app you want without pressing a single button. aren't microsoft (and sony) rumoured to be aiming for an always on / light sleep state for their next gen consoles?

Same here

So now we have rumors of Sony going away from the Dualshock with PS4, and going with a controller with a touch screen.

What do you think Microsoft will do or innovate with the NextBox controller?

Personally, I would like them to stick with the standard controller with simple modifications, like a better DPad. And of course, Kinect 2 support.

PaulLFC

It may not now, but if they did choose to pack it in with every console, then instantly they have a guaranteed install base (anyone who buys a 720 or whatever they'll call it), rather than (number of 360 owners - number of 360 owners that don't own Kinect). Over time, unless the console's a disaster in terms of sales they'll have a bigger install base than "Kinect 1" and more games will be developed for it because it's a standard feature rather than an extra, optional peripheral. We may see more innovation and outright better games that take advantage of Kinect 2 as well.

Personally, I'd like them to just focus on the console itself and not compromise it to be able to throw Kinect in the box, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they do.

Maxrunner

Just stick to orbis and get a good pc.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So now we have rumors of Sony going away from the Dualshock with PS4, and going with a controller with a touch screen.

What do you think Microsoft will do or innovate with the NextBox controller?

Personally, I would like them to stick with the standard controller with simple modifications, like a better DPad. And of course, Kinect 2 support.

yeah, aside from the dpad, and maybe lasting quality, the 360 pad is perfect IMO.

Top Bottom