• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

g23

European pre-madonna
Bebpo said:
One nitpick I have that is a personal thing that most will laugh at and find trivial...is that I don't like that there is cursing in the game and even the f* word.

If Resistance was made by any other developer that'd be fine, but Insomniac has been making fun, family-friendly titles that appealed to everyone with R&C, and I thought Resistance was in the same trend since there really isn't much blood or any gore/gibs. But then soldiers are cursing and it makes me a little sad :(

M RATING!!!!

But whoa man, soldiers curse in war sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I mean, people get strung up and mutiliated in this game...

Thanks BuddyC. That's a bit of a bummer though, but it should kick ass anyway. Are you guys experiencing any problems getting into games, like lost connections to host and such?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Reno is staying over at my place for the next 2 days, so this morning before work, he and I took turns playing some Resistance deathmatch. Japanese players are so bad at first person shooters. :(

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
guys, i've set up a GAF clan , i need names.

the people who have requested entry so far - your names aren't found by the system (??)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DCharlie said:

the people who have requested entry so far - your names aren't found by the system (??)

Did you add me yet? I sent you a request on MSN, but you were playing Gears with your girl.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, after the majority of Manchester this game is freaking awesome. The gameplay is just SO FREAKING INTENSE. Mines popping out everywhere, great variety of hard ass enemies running around and hiding everywhere. Tons of stuff going on all the time. Really, really fun game.

I can see why the early stuff seems sorta unimpressive too. Since they wanted a locked 30fps with no drops/slowdown from start to finish they had to make the early non-crazy parts 30fps even though they probably could've had them run at 60fps. I guess it would be jarring if the early parts of the game were 60fps and then when huge battles with a billion things flying everywhere was going on the game dropped to 30fps. I'm fairly impressed by the number of enemies, amount of destruction, amount of bullets going on at any one time.

The little touches are extremely nice as well. I love seeing the birds flying around, the dust blowing by, signs swinging as their hit, concrete exploding into pieces, etc.., etc; the game is just so incredibly polished. Moreso than the majority of launch titles to date.

The weapons are also very enjoyable. firefights through walls are INTENSE (well all battles are). Running through areas with 1 hit until your dead, fearing every corner and new step of ground and hoping to see a yellow container is a very engaging experience. Good stuff.

Now, as a graphic's whore I gotta nitpick a bit on the visuals as I think the game was this close to being one of the best looking next-gen games, but because of one single thing they completely blew it and that makes me upset :mad:

AF
Here is a shot of a building. Why a shot of building? Well because when I was standing at this distance (aka, 15 feet or so away) the building looked like a blurry mess out of a last-gen game.

picssss224001.jpg

But then when I use the zoom feature on my gun and get close to the textures:

picssss224003.jpg

Viola! Nice HD resolution textures. The AF in the game is non-existant and it really hurts it. Because of the large scale of the battlefield and environments, you're often staring at beautiful landscapes with tons of buildings and cool things. But since they're all far away and there's no AF...everything at distance looks like an Xbox1 game until you get right next to it. The AF distance is just TERRIBLE. Check out this pic:

picssss224006.jpg

While it might be sorta hard to tell from the pic. In this very tiny room. The planks at my feet are sharp detailed HD textures...but the ones on the other side of the room are blurry last-gen looking textures. It's very disjarring and ugly to not even be able to have an entire room look the same texture-wise at any given point. With AF in and the planks and buildings looking as sharp as what's at your feet, the game would have been drop-dead gorgeous...especially because the art is so amazingly good. But nope, no AF, and just what you see above, which makes me ;_;

And then there's the low-res textures at random places in levels:

picssss224005.jpg

Notice the boards in front of my face are low-res, while the wall across from me is HD. While 90% of the textures are probably HD, it still takes away from the overall picture when certain textures in the viewpoint aren't HD level. Hurts the cohesive feel. This might be a ram issue, and if so I hope it's not something we're going to see in all PS3 games because of the slightly lower ram from the XMB taking up 64mbs and the way the rest of the ram is divided. Hopefully it was more of a time/performance issue. :\

Still a really good looking game...but us graphic whores are picky people. Who knows, maybe they can patch the game later on to allow optional AF at the expense of some slowdown at parts.

thetrin

Just wait until you hit the snowy areas, Bebpo. If that doesn`t floor you, I will be surprised. :)

Also, the cave levels have awesome lighting.

Still a really good looking game...but us graphic whores are picky people. Who knows, maybe they can patch the game later on to allow optional AF at the expense of some slowdown at parts.

AF at the expense of slowdown...geez, graphic whorism brings out some funny priorities.

kevm3

That's the unfortunate thing about Resistance. People who will judge it on its graphics will only likely see the beginning and judge the graphics based on that.

Bebpo

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
AF at the expense of slowdown...geez, graphic whorism brings out some funny priorities.

For some reason slowdown has never bothered me in games. I guess because it's been there all the way since 2d games. I can't stand screen tearing for the life of me, and lack of AA/AF is annoying, but slowdown is no big deal. I sorta like it when a huge explosion erupts and the game sloooows down. It's always felt like it was emphasizing the power or chaos of the moment. I love Sky Gunner :)

thetrin

Bebpo said:
For some reason slowdown has never bothered me in games. I guess because it's been there all the way since 2d games. I can't stand screen tearing for the life of me, and lack of AA/AF is annoying, but slowdown is no big deal. I sorta like it when a huge explosion erupts and the game sloooows down. It's always felt like it was emphasizing the power or chaos of the moment. I love Sky Gunner :)

Slowdown in a first person shooter doesn`t bother you? That floors me.

The game is mighty beautiful to me. Just get to the the snowy area already!

kevm3 said:
That's the unfortunate thing about Resistance. People who will judge it on its graphics will only likely see the beginning and judge the graphics based on that.

Yea. Too bad all the bells and whistles show up between the middle and the end.

M3wThr33

Banned
Bebpo said:
One nitpick I have that is a personal thing that most will laugh at and find trivial...is that I don't like that there is cursing in the game and even the f* word.

If Resistance was made by any other developer that'd be fine, but Insomniac has been making fun, family-friendly titles that appealed to everyone with R&C, and I thought Resistance was in the same trend since there really isn't much blood or any gore/gibs. But then soldiers are cursing and it makes me a little sad :(

You really didn't play Ratchet & Clank did you?

Hell, look at the names of the their games:

Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Size Matters

They're all sex jokes.

thetrin

M3wThr33 said:
You really didn't play Ratchet & Clank did you?

Hell, look at the names of the their games:

Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Size Matters

They're all sex jokes.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who noticed the joke in "Up your Arsenal."

Captain N

Do they leave it open for a second resistance? (I'm sure they do) I was wondering if anyone thinks we'll see a Resistance on the PsP..??..??

I was wondering if I could sign up for the Playstation network without having a PS3 yet.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Something that reminds me of Halo is the strength of the grenades. They are POWERFUL and I love it. They can knock out an entire room of enemies if placed well.

And Manchester ****ING ROCKS.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm at the part right after the cathedral/church, man its really getting good. Just got the auger, I love it. :D

DCharlie said:

I'd love to get on this. PS ID is Z_Y

I need to visit the official thread and start adding names...if anybody reads this...please add me as well.

What's the situation with voice chat? Is most everyone using it? I'd hate to go out today and get a BT headset and have nobody to talk to. :-/

edit: Just thought of why you might not be finding people in the system...isn't your R:FOM profile diff't than your PS ID? I haven't set up my R:FOM profile yet. I need to pick up an hdmi cable today before I play it.

DCharlie

Guys, the only person i've been able to add to the Clan so far is Thetrin... have you guys played online and created the profile there already?

i have this nasty feeling that it's only letting me add clan members from my region... which would suck balls.

maybe you just need to "fiddle" with your settings? ;)

i'm just reloading the game now - but here is one shot i took earlier , didn't particularly notice the issue you mentioned. Will double check.

294347096_e903b73f67_b.jpg

J-Rzez

DCharlie said:
maybe you just need to "fiddle" with your settings? ;)

i'm just reloading the game now - but here is one shot i took earlier , didn't particularly notice the issue you mentioned. Will double check.

I agree... I haven't noticed many of the issues mentioned... outside the wood plank one's... Then again, I have my TV calibrated, and it loves 720p...

and no... there should never be allowed "drops in framerate" in a fast paced-blazing action shooter like this... never... not to make up for the lack of certain minor touches... I have had major issues with "another game" that did take that approach, and it's very disconnecting of the action...

J-Rzez

Oh, I think it's also worth noting... I player MP for hours last night, and even when the rooms maxed out, not even a hint of Lag was present... That alone is awesome... there's a lot going on in those rooms, like, 20 or so ppl in a spot at one time, and nothing... I'm impressed... This has been the best online experience in MP I've had to this date... (Tied with H2, and far better than anything else)

Oh... and Hedgehogs and friendly fire don't mix too well... :lol

DCharlie

okay *sigh*

re: the clan - we had a fiddle round trying to get things to work, and here is the results and it ain't good.

i've tried to add a few people from GAF and it's not worked. I get a system error saying player not found...

now ... we thought this was something to do with us having to be online at the same time, but we tried that and it didn't work either.

So.... i tried to add my other half (who wasn't online) and that was successful...

Then i looked at who i had been able to add...
Me (obviously) , the wife , and TheTrin...

... this thing is regioned , isn't it? :(

the only way i think we can get around this is to some how set up some sort of private game and then try and add people via the list function - however, it's smelling suspiciously like cross location games aren't possible.

Out of interest, has anyone fought anyone japanese (from the US) or raced anyone in Ridge that's japanese? :(

Shawn128

Anyone getting the same issues I'm getting (apologies if its been listed, havent had the time to look through the whole thread)?:

1. With the auto-save, sometimes I get an error popping up saying that there was an error saving. When I go to reload the game, I end up starting one level back from where I was supposed to start since the game didnt save at my current level.

2. Sometimes when a level loads, it will start but there will be no sound playing, forcing me to quit and restart the level to get it working again.

White Man

DCharlie said:

I started one named neoGAF, but you were first so you win.

My name is TVC15. Invite me.

DCharlie

I started one named neoGAF, but you were first so you win.

My name is TVC15. Invite me.

see above - we can't!
i'm going to disband my Neo-Gaf and start a Neo-GAF Japan :(
I wonder if we can even clan match between Neo-gaf and NGJ?
looks like we probably can't :(

please patch , mr. resistance people.

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
see above - we can't!
i'm going to disband my Neo-Gaf and start a Neo-GAF Japan :(
I wonder if we can even clan match between Neo-gaf and NGJ?
looks like we probably can't :(

please patch , mr. resistance people.

This might be bad if Jpn version of games can't play US versions of same games online. Hardly anyone plays online in Japan, so finding players for games outside of RR is going to be really tough for us :(

Also might explain why Jpn saves are not working on US systems according to JohnTV.

DCharlie

hold on - might have a solution - wonder what happens when i use my US account?

balls ... nope. :(

please ignore that invite Bebpo :(

Is it just me or does the game really kick in graphically in the Lab level called No Escape...
Jeeeze its like a totally different looking game. Excellent lighting and textures I swear even the guys look more detailed. And when the worm looking thing punches through damn scared the shite out of me..Man im loving this game.

Bebpo

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Is it just me or does the game really kick in graphically in the Lab level called No Escape...
Jeeeze its like a totally different looking game. Excellent lighting and textures I swear even the guys look more detailed. And when the worm looking thing punches through damn scared the shite out of me..Man im loving this game.

Yeah, I'd say about 1/2 way through Manchester when the
Stalker
first shows up the graphics jump to WOW and from then on the levels just keep looking better and better. It's definitely become the best looking FPS game I've played as I played onward. Can't wait to see what's left :D

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bebpo said:
Stalker
first shows up the graphics jump to WOW and from then on the levels just keep looking better and better. It's definitely become the best looking FPS game I've played as I played onward. Can't wait to see what's left :D

Have you ever played FEAR or Call of Duty 3? Does it look better than those two?

I have played both Fear and Call of Duty 3 I would say that overall I would give it to Resistance definitely over Call of Duty the slow mo still impresses in Fear but there are moments in this game where the sheer scale of the Chimera buildings look just utterly amazing.

And I vote the AIR FUEL GRENADE as the most awesome grenade in any game ever!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BruceLeeRoy said:
I have played both Fear and Call of Duty 3 I would say that overall I would give it to Resistance definitely over Call of Duty the slow mo still impresses in Fear but there are moments in this game where the sheer scale of the Chimera buildings look just utterly amazing.

And I vote the AIR FUEL GRENADE as the most awesome grenade in any game ever!

Oh okay because I'm still early in the game so I thought I'd ask.

mckmas8808 said:
Oh okay because I'm still early in the game so I thought I'd ask.

The further you get in the game the better it starts to look. The alien architecture starts to blend in with the human and the game really starts to shine...this game is 10 kinds of awesome.

However, I do agree with what the guys on the 1up show said in their criticism about the game feeling compartmentalized by jumping around from locale to locale...takes away from the experience somewhat.

Kittonwy

Banned
Bebpo said:
Stalker

Like whoa. For real?

DCharlie said:
Out of interest, has anyone fought anyone japanese (from the US) or raced anyone in Ridge that's japanese? :(

Yeah, already did that a few times today. Haven't tried Resistance online yet but since it uses its own non-psnetwork friends system I'm not really sure what the deal might be with that.

Top Bottom