• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Direct 2013.6.26 - 8 pm Japan Time (12 pm BST, 7 am EDT)

Looks like the visuals have been spruced up a bit. The start menu water looks better than it did during Pikmin 3's first reveal at E3.

Indeed, it does.

E3 2012:

pf2f.png

June 2013:

5uyc.png

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
hnnng

The only thing I'm really worried about is the seeming lack of a Piklopedia. Hope it's not gone...

Welp, that does it. I've known Pikmin 3 was coming, but it just set in -- Pikmin Motherfucking 3 is coming. I got about two minutes into the direct and had to stop watching. It looks too amazing. I can't spoil it, I have to wait to play it all myself.

Man, it looks so good.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Also, time stopped while in caves/underground confirmed. Around 3:06 here, there is no time indicator at the top of the screen.

I was sure I saw an improvement on the E3 trailer, it is looking amazing!! Day 1 for me, so hyped!!

Photo mode will be an addiction and it will fill the Miiverse GAF screenshot thread.

These gifs look amazing. August is so far away...

hnnng

The only thing I'm really worried about is the seeming lack of a Piklopedia. Hope it's not gone...

The Piklopedia was a funny feature. They've certainly had enough time with this game. I hope it's as content-packed as Pikmin 2.

PokéKong

These gifs look amazing. August is so far away...

The Piklopedia was a funny feature. They've certainly had enough time with this game. I hope it's as content-packed as Pikmin 2.

It's hard to tell if that can of tuna was just a background element or if it's something you can actually gather, in which case I'm excited to see what more real life food products they hide in the game which will probably have more amusing descriptions.

PokéKong;66599411 said:
It's hard to tell if that can of tuna was just a background element or if it's something you can actually gather, in which case I'm excited to see what more real life food products they hide in the game which will probably have more amusing descriptions.

If I remember correctly, in the Pikmin 2 Piklopedia, each item was given two descriptions. One was the "scientific" explanation by Olimar. And the second description was how to cook and eat whatever the item/creature was. Hopefully they can imbue these three newcomers with a similar level of character, in addition to the items themselves.

Mistle

Only a month away for Australia! Rare case of getting a game a bit earlier. Really excited to have things to play on Wii U, there's a lot coming in the next 12 months by the sounds of it

Something I noticed on the site's update here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/ac3j/adventure/

1) Enemy damage (for example the centipede boss) will have damage carried over to subsequent days, so you don't have to worry too much about trying to beat them before time runs out.

2) There's also one other thing you're looking for - the "Warp Drive Key" for your ship, necessary to get back to your home planet. "Someone" has left notes on its location as well as their observations of Pikmin all over the planet that you will find and will act as clues.
It's Olimar. The text in the image says he found the key and that it would make a good souvenir for his son back on Planet Hokotate.

Jackano

Hype slowly building. Will go black-out now :)
The game looks good, but even me, I noticed the not very good textures. It's a shame.

SparkTR

The game looks good, but even me, I noticed the not very good textures. It's a shame.

It's the same with any RTS game, zoom in too close and it starts breaking apart under scrutiny. Even high end stuff like Total War. At the games default view you don't notice it so much.

The textures aren't that bad actually (although the quality varies). But they have to be viewed from a certain distance and in motion. If you zoom in with the photo mode, then the textures will look like crap. Like in any other game.
Many of the textures in Pikmin 3 have more detail than in most 360 and ps3 games. But like in amy game, these textures are optimised to watch from a certain distance.
It's the low polycount that really sticks out imo.

Jackano

The textures aren't that bad actually (although the quality varies). But they have to be viewed from a certain distance and in motion. If you zoom in with the photo mode, then the textures will look like crap. Like in any other game.
Many of the textures in Pikmin 3 have more detail than in most 360 and ps3 games. But like in amy game, these textures are optimised to watch from a certain distance.

Indeed... And maybe some very sharp and detailled textures will make the pikmins harder to see. But still, in some screenshots the floor don't look good but I think in motion on the TV it will not be a problem at all!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

This^

game should be delayed until they get it perfect

you people are nuts

Nibel

The game looks great. Looks to be another Nintendo gem. Love the music and presentation.

I'm all ready to play this game.

Check out my little setup, lol. I was going to make it look better but got lazy. Wasnt until a couple months later that I decided to add the gamepad stand.

I used an old cymbal stand so it can adjust in length and tilt up and down. From my perspective, it looks like the gamepad is floating in midair.

Really comfortable to have it float above you.

Its also resting on the charge cradle so it has maximum brightness and keeps charged.

wiisetup2.jpg

You would have won this thread if there was a Iwata pic on the wall :lol

BY2K

Membero Americo
Indeed, it does.

E3 2012:

pf2f.png

June 2013:

5uyc.png

Just a shitty one I made last night in a rush:
6jpg-d3cf24_640w.jpg

to this
p396.png

and this
5jpg-d3cf23_640w.jpg

to this
e2f.png

Plus, random gif-age:

www.dotup.org4301653.gif

www.dotup.org4301656.gif

www.dotup.org4301658.gif

Another reason why I love Nintendo, they never bullshit with target render. It's often the other way around.

original

It's amazing how Nintendo does the opposite of most people.

You see a trailer or screenshot at E3? Chances are the final game won't look THAT good. (Colonial Marines, Killzone 2, Uncharted 3)

When you see a trailer or screenshot for a Nintendo first-party at E3? Chances are the final game won't look THAT bad.

Others have bullshots.
Nintendo has crapshots.

(I'm not saying that EVERYONE that isn't Nintendo does this, but some do.)

Something I noticed on the site's update here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/ac3j/adventure/

1) Enemy damage (for example the centipede boss) will have damage carried over to subsequent days, so you don't have to worry too much about trying to beat them before time runs out.

I believe Miyamoto mentioned it in the developer direct. Which is really cool. He said hes hoping it'll change the way RTS games are played/perceived. Where it doesnt feel like you're playing a stage, but that it's natural like real life. So you can play it at your pace and enjoy around your time schedule.

You would have won this thread if there was a Iwata pic on the wall :lol

You must of missed it...

wiisetup3.jpg

Going to add more to it to make it feel like a nintendo arcade/kiosk.

ASIS

Look at the screenshots on the previous page. Particularly look @ the rounded edges on the monsters. They are not rounded edges but a bunch of straight lines with sharp corners. Count the number of sharp corners. The number is low. It looks similar to the number in a lot of Gamecube games.
I see, yeah you are right some of them do look very sharp.

looks amazing, as always.

jmls1121

Banned
People sometimes forget that Nintendo, unlike most western developers, polishes graphics in the final stages of development. This is probably why they don't like to show off games until they are nearing release.

It makes perfect sense that this game got a substantial improvement in the graphical deparatment.

Plus the animations look really amazing.

Top Bottom