• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: Mass Effect is disappointing but nice looking

Stinkles said:
You guys will jump on anything. Mass Effect is obviously and the previewer spent thousands of seconds watching over someone else's shoulder. Did you? No. Bunch of experts all of a sudden.

:lol

Zozz

Banned
echoshifting said:
It's hard to know who to take seriously when discussing such an important and life-changing preview.
Yep, you just can't joke around this stuff. Somebody will end up getting shot over it.

justjohn

artredis1980 said:
Destructoid.......

4qz2yih.jpg
[/IMG]
this is really sad. you calling destructoid sony fanboys now?:lol

Zenith

Banned
The guy has only seen videos.

We have seen videos. His opinion is based on nothing that isn't available to you. plus it's Destructoid, y'know the site that takes Joy.stiq rejects.

Zozz said:
Yep, you just can't joke around this stuff. Somebody will end up getting shot over it.

At least we can all finally start hating on Mass Effect for the overhyped garbage it is. Halo killer indeed.

vesp

I was at this same showing I think (there was a guy dressed up like the destructoid robot there), and I disagree with most of what he said. The biggest problem with the demo was that it looks\runs like a souped up KOTOR. The framerate is a little sloppy and some of the scene transitions are really disjointed. Combat looked fine, the graphics themselves were good, and the conversations were really solid.

I was mostly impressed, though the realization that I'm probably going to have to deal with the normal Bioware technical issues while enjoying an otherwise amazing game have set in. They also gave me a tshirt and the novel (which I'll probably read) didn't hurt either.

Aalyx

Who the hell cares what Destructoid thinks? I hope Bioware brings this to the PC, I know it's getting Dragon Age but still...

I can imagine this guy just having a bad day and writing this about Mass Effect. It was more like a fanboy rant than a credible journalist write-up. He talked about stuff in his pants...

Gigglepoo

I saw a 20 minute presentation of Mass Effect at E3 and it blew me away. I don't know what learning disability the folks at Destructoid have, but I hope it's not contagious.

Buggy Loop

The first 20 mins of Baldur's gate 2 & KOTOR were also pretty damn boring compared to the rest of the game.

first 20 minutes in a bioware RPG is so not an indication of the overall quality.

Slavik81

This preview is a useless writeup on watching a tiny portion of the game. It's designed to get hits.

But honestly, I really think Mass Effect is going to be a huge letdown, just like KotOR was when I finally played it. For all the talk about revolutionary new systems, it looks like KotOR without the Lightsabers in almost every way.

karasu

Why are you guys jumping on the 'standard FPS fare' thing? It's clear that he meant standard shooter fare. Which is what pretty much half of GAF said after the last playthrough! People were complaining about how bad the AI looked, how bland the shooting was, etc etc. Now you're gonna brush aside his comment just because he had a brain fart and typed 'fps'? Meh.

karasu said:
Why are you guys jumping on the 'standard FPS fare' thing? It's clear that he meant standard shooter fare. Which is what pretty much half of GAF said after the last playthrough! People were complaining about how bad the AI looked, how bland the shooting was, etc etc. Now you're gonna brush aside his comment just because he had a brain fart and typed 'fps'? Meh.

People will find any little detail to help them defend their most anticipated game. After watching that 1up episode of Mass Effect the shooting didn't look like anything special and the A.I. was broken.
Lostconfused said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/18375.html

This is probably the first minute of the game, well past character creation that is, and honestly i dont see whats wrong with that.
Looks pretty damn stale to me. Resistance had way better facial animation than this.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
mass effect strikes me as a game that will not be fun to play

I am in the same boat. The conversation system, the story, the production values: all look incredible. Then I see the combat and I lose interest. I've not been a fan of their past attempts to weld a Western RPG with an Action RPG. I'd sacrifice KotOR, JE, and Mass Effect on an altar if it would put Baldur's Gate 3 in my hands. On a related note, I hereby damn Interplay to the hell of horny dragons for the destruction of Black Isle Studios.

rubso said:
R&C facial animation, no thanks.
Uhhh I said Resistance but now that you brought up R&C I completely disagree with you. You honestly think this has better facial animation than Ratchet? :lol

I guess your entitled to your own opinion though.

Lets see if Mass Effect makes you laugh or feel anything for that matter.

Even if this game doesn't get fully there with emotional dialog, it is a HUGE step in the right direction and the models looks freakishly real.

I personally can't wait for this game, but I am not certain it will be all that it sets out to be. I mean, after all I really didn't like Jade Empire.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I was in the GDC hour long demonstration and while the story and interaction bits impressed me I was really let down by the combat. It seemed like a stilted Rainbow Six clone with terrible AI and horrible framerate. But that was an early demo and the game had a long ways to go so I just shrugged it off and didn't think it was worth mentioning. I'm sure the final product will deliver.

Gowans

Gigglepoo said:
I saw a 20 minute presentation of Mass Effect at E3 and it blew me away. I don't know what learning disability the folks at Destructoid have, but I hope it's not contagious.

I dare you to listen to their podcast no double dare you! :lol

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Do not believe this preview. I had the first hour of the game played in front of me, and none of Destructoid's criticisms are valid. This is either truly awful taste or a pathetic attempt to get more hits. Possibly both.

Mass Effect has the most incredible facial animation of any game ever (at the time I saw it, anyway...Heavenly Sword tops it in cutscenes, IMO), and the voice acting is perfectly fine. The beginning of the game is all space navy "Sir, we have visual" shit, anyway. It's obviously not going to be Gone With The Wind.

There are plenty of things to worry about with Mass Effect without making up shit about the presentation. This preview is simply not describing the game I saw.

dejan

I'm pretty surprised that sony fanboys are not impressed by Mass Effect. Now to that Destructoid preview ... the author might have a point or two. I mean he just described his (hopefully honest) impressions of what he saw in some gameplay movies... just like the most of us here, right? It doesn't change the fact, that for me personally this is still the only game right now I would buy a next gen console for (tho I would prefer this kind of game on pc) and that I'm still totally hyped for it.

soco

expecting good facial animation and excitement in video games? that's a laugh. this sounds more like a dissapointment based on high expectations.

sure video games can have that but their so incredibly rare, that i'm not sure why anyone even holds out hope for games to have this anymore. i still think a good part of this is not coughing up the money to have the voice actors in the studio at the same time, for more "emotional" sections. however, when it comes to games like this where you have tons of different possibilities for dialogue, i imagine it's much more difficult than games many people are trying to compare it to.

Alex

InterMoniker said:
Uhhh I said Resistance but now that you brought up R&C I completely disagree with you. You honestly think this has better facial animation than Ratchet? :lol

I guess your entitled to your own opinion though.

Lets see if Mass Effect makes you laugh or feel anything for that matter.

Don't the new Ratchet and Resistance both also use FMV with game assets for their cutscenes as well? I've only played past the first level in Resistance, but I know someone said that about Ratchet here.

I think that's a bit different than in game interactive dialog trees.

InterMoniker said:
People will find any little detail to help them defend their most anticipated game. After watching that 1up episode of Mass Effect the shooting didn't look like anything special and the A.I. was broken.
Looks pretty damn stale to me. Resistance had way better facial animation than this.

You cared about that in RFoM?

Broktune

Banned
Man, I watched the first twenty minutes of the Godfather. What a piece of crap movie. It was at some wedding and shit. Stupid. It was all some old dude sitting at a desk in the dark. His mouth was full or something and he hardly moved it when he talked, no emotion. Fucking dreck. All I can say is it's a standard American movie. Meh.

Odrion

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
The first 20 mins of Baldur's gate 2 & KOTOR were also pretty damn boring compared to the rest of the game.

first 20 minutes in a bioware RPG is so not an indication of the overall quality.
No reason to try to justify anything. This preview is from a man who watched the game, much like you and I do, and said it was standard first person shooter flair. In comparison, this is like some retard who viewed a Youtube video for Final Fantasy VI and says it looks like a boring generic kart racer and a Squaresoft fan says "Well yeah but RPGs are usually boring in the beginning." You really don't need to defend the game.

Top Bottom