• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: Mass Effect is disappointing but nice looking

I may be one of the few people who doesn't care about voice acting. I read the subtitles and skip, except in cutscenes when you obviously can't.

what is destructoid?

This is the same session that was attended by IGN, Gamespot and Gamespy and they all praised it.

again..

What is destructoid?

Bioware found the perfect gameplay formula with KOTOR. Why they continue to move further away with each game from its timeless model is beyond me..............

i don't dispute the impressions of this journalist. people like and dislike different things.

but what game has better facial animation i wonder? that's something we've all seen. so from people that think these impressions might all be on the money, what games do you think have better facial animation?

and i want to stress, i'm not trying to discredit all the impressions of the writer... i'm just very surprised to hear them single out for criticism one of the things that is universally known and praised.

Destructoid is the worst of all so-called "gaming blogs". When someone gets fired from the other two for sucking too much, Destructoid hires them. It's like TNA and WWE.

I'm not worried at all about Mass Effect.

Geoff9920

I guess they wanted some more hits on their site. ;-)

1. Popular Upcoming Game
2. Dissenting Opinion
3. ?????
4. Profit.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
He's a got a point. Every video I've seen the mouth movements are kinda a creepy and the acting is quite wooden.

I'd be happy to change my opinion if someone could link me to a video that doesn't have this.

traveler

Not Wario
Hmm. Interesting. Still, we're a good 3 months off, it was 20 minutes, every other footage we've seen looks great, and they didn't get to play it, did they? I'm not too worried.

Not a Jellyfish said:
I hate people calling thrid person action games FPS. it is really annoying.

One of my pet peeves as well. The camera is the defining point for the FPS, after all.

FFChris

140.85 said:
He's a got a point. Every video I've seen the mouth movements are kinda a creepy and the acting is quite wooden.

I'd be happy to change my opinion if someone could link me to a video that doesn't have this.

Uncanny valley? (I think I'm using that in the right context.)

The only game I see with better facial animations is Heavenly Sword.

plagiarize said:
i don't dispute the impressions of this journalist. people like and dislike different things.

but what game has better facial animation i wonder? that's something we've all seen. so from people that think these impressions might all be on the money, what games do you think have better facial animation?

and i want to stress, i'm not trying to discredit all the impressions of the writer... i'm just very surprised to hear them single out for criticism one of the things that is universally known and praised.

Well, Id say HS has better facial animation, but thats incutscene...I think FFXIII will have superior as well, but thats along way off...so no much really.

Anyway, its the 20 mins, there is probably demos that long online, anybody can form an opinion to the extent of this one...seems a bit like intial impressions...not really worth commenting on. Just note it and move on, because really 20 mins? really? REEAAALLLLY?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
artredis1980 said:
its an RPG with some TPS action

i know that i wasn't calling mass effect third person action. i was calling the combat. i was so annoyed reading an interview with the guy who was number one in Gears of War and he called it an FPS.

No_Style

140.85 said:

The movement is pretty good though. Are you talking about the action sequences with the gun and the "force powers"? If anything, I would attribute problems with less than stellar framerate.

My opinion on Mass Effect is up with the wind at the moment, when hype sways one way, I go with it. If any game needs a demo, it would be this one because the videos are not communicating the game to me.

Alex

nelsonroyale said:
Well, Id say HS has better facial animation, but thats incutscene...I think FFXIII will have superior as well, but thats along way off...so no much really.

Anyway, its the 20 mins, there is probably demos that long online, anybody can form an opinion to the extent of this one...seems a bit like intial impressions...not really worth commenting on. Just note it and move on, because really 20 mins? really? REEAAALLLLY?

Does Heavenly Sword have actual in-game cutscenes or is it more MPEG crap like the demo? I don't really think it's a fair comparison at all if it's the latter, since it's essentially FMV.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:

I sure as hell can't think of any (especially not on this scale). Half-Life 2 set a new standard, but I feel that ME matches and exceeds it. Every conversation they've shown thus far (including meaningless ones) looks fantastic.

Odrion

Banned
Zilch said:
B-b-b-but overhyped console-exclusives CAN'T POSSIBLY be mediocre! (see Heavenly Sword thread for details)
Yes but this guy is telling us the gameplay is standard first person shooter flair so I believe there is some merit to calling the guy a stupid fucking twat.

Alex said:
Does Heavenly Sword have actual in-game cutscenes or is it more MPEG crap like the demo?
it's mocapped... which isn't cheating. so that's a fair point... but it's not as flexible a system, as i understand.

anyway what i'm getting at is that they called it 'subpar' facial animation. it isn't a question of whether or not it's the absolute best game with regards to facial animation, it's a question of whether or not it's worse than the average facial animation.

Philthy

I'd be pretty fucking bored watching someone else play a game, too. Judging a game needs to be done start to finish. Watching someone screw around at some random point in the game for thirty minutes is probably not such a great way to showcase much of anything. I thought the BIOSHOCK demo was pretty meh, but the game itself is fantastically awesome. All I got out of it was that it was a woop woop shooter, but the full game, you're upgrading your weapons, playing with a billion powers, collecting money to buy items, hacking upgrades, etc etc etc. Something the demo never really got to show you, which was a shame.

That said, not every game can be golden, so if it does turn out to be a pile of crap, at least I have a few other games to look forward to.

I have never understood the hype for this game.

All the impressive stuff we have seen has been interactive cutcenes all the gamepay footage has been choppy and unimpressive.

Also lets not forget their last game was the horrible Jade Crapire.

Kabuki Waq said:

All the impressive stuff we have seen has been interactive cutcenes all the gamepay footage has been choppy and unimpressive.

'standard negative response to negative thread'

"I never understood the hype for <insert game name>.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, personally I have about 50/50 faith in Bioware at this point to make a great rpg after their last two, but maybe they'll pull it off.

That being said the trailers and stuff so far do look a bit stiff so I can see where this guy is coming from.

Kabuki Waq said:

I generally agree here. I'm interested in Mass Effect for the hopefully great dialogue like KoTOR. The gameplay looks pretty bad so far, and JE's gameplay was crap, and KoTOR's was merely ok.

:lol just like in the past couple weeks theyve been doing all sorts of deals with sony or something. it just sounds kinda funny lol. "write the best blog promoting Sony and get a free PS3!!" uhh ok.
goodbye credibility, hello $$$$$$

5) By participating this contest you agree that Destructoid and Sony Computer Entertainment and it's subsidiaries have no liability whatsoever...

Destructoid.......

4qz2yih.jpg
[/IMG]

USD

I don't think the conversation/facial expression system is as seamless or awesome as the E06 preview (I didn't expect it to be), and it is dipping quite a bit into uncanny valley territory, but even then I think it's a very impressive system, certainly better than KOTOR/Jade Empire, and there's not much else out there that compares.

Not sure the combat will be as good as a standalone TPS game, but I expect it to at least be competent.

artredis1980 said:
Destructoid.......
You know that means absolutely nothing, right?

The only thing I'm worried about in Mass Effect is the combat system. It looks like they are trying to integrate FPS controls into an RPG game and I have some reservations over it. The storyline and RPG elements I have no worries about, its BioWare after all.

But this is the first time I've seen any site give a less than stellar preview to Mass Effect, every other preview I've read or video I've seen the presenter is usually wetting their pants with glee by the 4 second mark.

FFChris

Bebpo said:
Yeah, personally I have about 50/50 faith in Bioware at this point to make a great rpg after their last two, but maybe they'll pull it off.

That being said the trailers and stuff so far do look a bit stiff so I can see where this guy is coming from.

I generally agree here. I'm interested in Mass Effect for the hopefully great dialogue like KoTOR. The gameplay looks pretty bad so far, and JE's gameplay was crap, and KoTOR's was merely ok.

Bebpo, did you watch the 1up Show preview of Mass Effect? It did a lot to ease my feeling about the gameplay.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You guys will jump on anything. Mass Effect is obviously
standard FPS fare
and the previewer spent thousands of seconds watching over someone else's shoulder. Did you? No. Bunch of experts all of a sudden.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I can see where the guy is coming from. From the videos, the characters and all look great, but the conversations sound pretty much like he said. It's dull and flat. I don't care how great your facial animation is when the conversations are lifeless and put me to sleep.

Still reserving judgement on the combat. I haven't been too impressed with it on first impressions though.

I'm with Bebpo though. Bioware is 50/50 on consoles so far. The good one was a licensed game, the shit one was original. They don't get a free pass from me.

Zozz

Banned
Stinkles said:
You guys will jump on anything. Mass Effect is obviously and the previewer spent thousands of seconds watching over someone else's shoulder. Did you? No. Bunch of experts all of a sudden.

Sarcasm or are you really for real..

Stinkles said:
You guys will jump on anything. Mass Effect is obviously and the previewer spent thousands of seconds watching over someone else's shoulder. Did you? No. Bunch of experts all of a sudden.

Oh fuck you. Go back to your Killzone 2 love fest. Troll.

Top Bottom