• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenogears...LTTP

Teddman

McLovin said:
when it failed it failed hard.. yes I can truly agree with that statement. Which moment was worst.. Billy selling himself as a prostitute or the honest to goodness anti-drug add staring Elly?[b/]

Actually, that was one of the few highlights for me. The way she turned when taking the Drive drug was pretty dramatic during that desert battle. Shame they never explored that angle further after that.

Drinky Crow said:
the only thing sadder than playing xenogears for the gameplay is playing it for the story

please, people, read books
Say what you will, but I thought the batte system was quite fun.

NIghtWolf

Drinky Crow said:
the only thing sadder than playing xenogears for the gameplay is playing it for the story

please, people, read books

what was wrong with the gameplay? I find it great for the time it came out.

citan's second deathblow, rinse, repeat; gimpiest mech battles ever; tower of babel and midair random encounters; the sewer levels; loads and loads of useless abilities; ugly all around

xenogears: better never than late

JayDubya said:
It happily and regularly leaps between greatness and utter shit, and it does so often.

It's a mixed bag of a game. I'm glad I played it, overall, but man, when it failed, it failed hard.

Pretty much. Great when it was good, HORRIBLE when bad. I still love that transistion posted earlier with the Demon of Elru scene; it was like the whole arc with Bart and them just blows up in your face with the awesomeness...then after you get out of prison it's Yggdrasil-incident-Yggdrasil-incident-Yggdrasil for about 15 hours. Blech. Saved only by "MEN *snap*...OF *snap*....THE SEA! *snap* *snap*"

NIghtWolf

Drinky Crow said:
citan's second deathblow, rinse, repeat; gimpiest mech battles ever; tower of babel and midair random encounters; the sewer levels; loads and loads of useless abilities; ugly all around

xenogears: better never than late

still great by the time, and greater than many "new rpgs with load of stuff on it", can't argue with you about the other factors because thats your opinion.

xenogears: better disc one than both. lol

Edit: about the story, common... the guy with the red hair (I forgot his name) he surely made it worthwhile, I liked the history in most part.

Flakster99

trilobyte said:
Xenogears...ah yes. I was really fucked when I got to the last boss. I didn't spend the time upgrading/leveling my other gears (I only played my core group most the time). So when I got to the last boss which required almost all my gears, I was pretty screwed. Worst was I didn't have another save point to go back to and start leveling.

I just said fuck it, and never finished it.

Ditto.

ZeoVGM

Banned
One of the best RPGs ever. Simple fact.

The 2nd CD was lame, but the amazingness that is the rest of the game overcomes that.

Great story, great battle system, memorable characters, one of the best soundtracks EVER.

Shame Xenosaga was such a mess.

probune

I applaud Xenogears for something: it tried to get kids to read books again. In other jrpgs you watch the story in cutscenes, and in Xenogears, you have to WORK for that story and read it.

But seriously it's a shit game with a shit story

omg rite said:
One of the best RPGs ever. Simple fact.

The 2nd CD was lame, but the amazingness that is the rest of the game overcomes that.

Great story, great battle system, memorable characters, one of the best soundtracks EVER.

Shame Xenosaga was such a mess.

The soundtrack is awesome, yes

But Xenosaga is a lot more like Xenogears than people like to admit. You even have to go into the database and read the story, just like in Xenogears, because they ran out of money to make sequels

ZeoVGM

Banned
probune said:
But Xenosaga is a lot more like Xenogears than people like to admit.

Except the characters are boring, the music was bland, and the battle system wasn't nearly as fun.

the plot is just a selection of random (and often impenetrably silly) anime cliches wed to bad evangelion fanfic and throwaway asides to kabbalah and gnostic myth. ultimately, it was unpalatable gibberish. however, if you were 15 and self-absorbed when you first played it, i could see how it -- like so many other awful and overrated things that appeal to that demographic -- appeared to be a special kind of genius created just for you, you pale flower, when in reality it was just a potpourri of the worst of anime fanfiction

Docpan

The second disc was really, really horrible.

I knew I was in trouble when, after the terrific ending scene from disc 1 with Rasmus, I was greeted to Fei sitting in a wooding chair narrating whole plot points for 30 minutes at a time.

I was like... Are you serious? It was as if they finished the first disc, realized how much story they had left to cover, and just said "fuck it."

There's barely any interactivity in disc 2. A character will sit in a chair (seriously), explain a part of the story, and then randomly the game drops you off in a dungeon.

If I recall correctly, there are only a few times at all throughout disc 2 where you get to travel the world map at all. Luckily, it's only like 10-15 hours, compared to the 60-70 hours of disc 1.

It brought a AAA game down to a B+ level. It seriously needs to be remade for PSP.

NIghtWolf

Xenosaga? get that sh*t out of this holy thread, sorry if I offend somebody but that its awful, It took me 2 mins in the tutorial to realize that the game was completely sh**.

Also I have never understand what is the relation between those two games. They really are connected in some direct way or something?

I knew I was in trouble when, after the terrific ending scene from disc 1 with Rasmus, I was greeted to Fei sitting in a wooding chair narrating whole plot points for 30 minutes at a time.

:lol :lol :lol pretty much how I feel but I never lose the hopes, until I was altmost at the end of the game.

ok Drinky, you win. Its either that or trying to understand what you said, you win. Im sorry my english is basic.

SomeDude

Banned
The plot was to too pretentious, random encouter rate was really high, text was slow and the dungeons were terribly designed.

Didn't like it at all

probune

Drinky Crow said:
the plot is just a selection of random (and often impenetrably silly) anime cliches wed to bad evangelion fanfic and throwaway asides to kabbalah and gnostic myth. ultimately, it was unpalatable gibberish. however, if you were 15 and self-absorbed when you first played it, i could see how it -- like so many other awful and overrated things that appeal to that demographic -- appeared to be a special kind of genius created just for you, you pale flower, when in reality it was just a potpourri of the worst of anime fanfiction

100% agreed, especially since I loved it when I was an introverted teenager.

ezekial45

Banned
Docpan said:

I was like... Are you serious? It was as if they finished the first disc, realized how much story they had left to cover, and just said "fuck it."

There's barely any interactivity in disc 2. A character will sit in a chair (seriously), explain a part of the story, and then randomly the game drops you off in a dungeon.

If I recall correctly, there are only a few times at all throughout disc 2 where you get to travel the world map at all. Luckily, it's only like 10-15 hours, compared to the 60-70 hours of disc 1.

It brought a AAA game down to a B+ level. It seriously needs to be remade for PSP.

If Square hadn't gotten so impatient and take away half their budget, then the 2nd disc would've turned out a lot better. It makes you wonder what could've been.

Sviatoslav said:
Its the best half-game I ever played.

It sure is.

Docpan said:

Haha, no kidding. They were describing all this epic adventures that was would have been like another 40-50 hours RPGing easily all crammed into 10+ hours. Back when I was a teenager, although I enjoyed it you can't honestly help but go "WTF is this?!" What the hell happened here?!

Basically they ran out of time and budget when Square cut development short than what the game's ambition was striving for. It really is half a game completed.

Docpan

Well, from what I understand, the FFVIII team was hurting for people, so Xenogears was rushed out the door in order to concentrate fully on FFVIII.

I don't think it was a matter of budget, but rather of time constraint. If the game had been delayed by 6 months, the second disc would have been a LOT better.

Docpan

What was up with that whole plot point about the green disease that randomly started killing people ? (This was a story from disc 2 obviously)

They never really took ANY time to explain it, so to this day I still have no idea what that was about.

I just remember being tossed into a dungeon immediately after to find a cure.

Uhhh... What?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
the "disease"
was turning people into alterable body parts for their "god", the monster in the facility was one of the attempts to make a body for that god

Greatest game ever.

Who is right, who is wrong? Surprised no one has brought up the point the game is based on Gnosticism, Time/Space and essentially Illuminati and every other "secret" organization today. The game while fantasy-ish is still very real on a world scale. You're advised to look into the real life connections with the game if you haven't already.

So many interesting characters where does one begin? I could write a 10 page report on each character the game is that good. Lacan and Krelian are truly two very interesting characters.

It's one of those games where different people could walk away with different ideas of what the heck it was about but in the end it all comes down to the conversation Fei and Krelian have at the end...but Krelian asks the wrong question and Fei thus gives him the wrong answer.

WE are God. That is what I got out of the game. How will you use your powers? For the benefit of mankind or just for yourself and people like you?

cprime85

Banned
Although I no longer hold the same kind of reverance for the story as I did when I was 13, the game is still very good almost solely thanks to Mitsuda's excellent score. I actually thought the Tower of Babel was cake and the jumps weren't hard to make if you have an IQ above 70.

The only thing I hated about Xenogears besides the 2nd disk was that it made me have high hopes for Xenosaga (at least the 3rd game was good). But Xenogears had great music, pretty good battle sytem, and has the distinction of probably the only game where I actually shed a tear when I beat it.

Splatt

Man, i'm so sad they ran out of cash for the 2nd CD. The first CD was godly and then the floating chair narrating the whole second disc was just... ugh... it almost killed the game for me. I also didn't like Xenosaga. The story and characters are good but the battle system was just boring and it felt like a chore.

I loved it when I played it as a teen, but I think that was because I was a angsty teen towards my Roman Chrisitan family and beliefs. I mean it had everything from gun wielding priests to shitty quotes you would put on your forums sig thinking that was some deep shit. Also being a big EVA fan helped a lot me liking it more.

Nowadays I kinda laugh when looking back at certain aspects like Id's naming, now THAT was subtle.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I remember playing this game, I was right before the first disc ended. I wanted to show my cousin the beginning of the game, so I did... then I dunno maybe it was because I got so used to saving on the same file? I overwrote my old save file and whelps had to start over from the beginning. nevertheless that part in the sand Castle that you had to search for some kids... worst fucking section in a game ever, those fucking kids hid extremely well :(

Red Scarlet

Error said:
I remember playing this game, I was right before the first disc ended. I wanted to show my cousin the beginning of the game, so I did... then I dunno maybe it was because I got so used to saving on the same file? I overwrote my old save file and whelps had to start over from the beginning.

:lol super ouch.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I think I'm going to play this game just to see if I can figure out why people some people go nutty after finishing it.

Grayman

I've tried to replay the game a few times but always have great difficulty.

I always felt that the mech combat was very hard because of the lack of healing, or fuel? whatever it was that put a pressure on the player to finish events within a certain limit.

The game also just has so much stuff happen in it. Getting stuck in various areas and having to do hours of things to leave.

The only way I could replay it would be if I found some tricks in a speed walkthrough and printed up maps of all the exploration sections like the sewers and caves.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ErasureAcer said:
Greatest game ever.

Who is right, who is wrong? Surprised no one has brought up the point the game is based on Gnosticism, Time/Space and essentially Illuminati and every other "secret" organization today. The game while fantasy-ish is still very real on a world scale. You're advised to look into the real life connections with the game if you haven't already.

So many interesting characters where does one begin? I could write a 10 page report on each character the game is that good. Lacan and Krelian are truly two very interesting characters.

It's one of those games where different people could walk away with different ideas of what the heck it was about but in the end it all comes down to the conversation Fei and Krelian have at the end...but Krelian asks the wrong question and Fei thus gives him the wrong answer.

WE are God. That is what I got out of the game. How will you use your powers? For the benefit of mankind or just for yourself and people like you?
tabris?

Starfire

Great game for the time. Although I do share most of Drinky's criticisms, I suppose none of them really got in my way of enjoying the better aspects of the game. My biggest gripe was that the story felt very fleshed out at certain points ,like watching a half-decent anime, and other times it felt like plot points were just inserted at random. I actually liked the chair sequences, especially Fei and Elly talking about their former lives because it made sense thematically as they both told the story from their own point of view. After that they could have ditched the mechanic as it no longer made any sense to have the story split into two viewpoints, and made an already mangled mess of compressed plotlines even harder to follow.

While Xenogears dabbled in pretension and overrought Eva cliche, it still had a solid (if inconssistant) narrative basis, Xenosaga on the other hand bathed in pretension and the worst of forced anime cliche, to the point where none of the story felt origional, and if there was any hint of charm or emotion to distract from the mindless string of androids with gattling guns or deus ex machina nonsense, it was quickly stamped out or relegated to a side story.

Fady K

I love this game. This game was soooo goood. Anyone know what Takahashi is up to these days? Is he still with Monolith?? Ill buy whatever the heck this guy makes :D

Fady K

Error said:
I remember playing this game, I was right before the first disc ended. I wanted to show my cousin the beginning of the game, so I did... then I dunno maybe it was because I got so used to saving on the same file? I overwrote my old save file and whelps had to start over from the beginning. nevertheless that part in the sand Castle that you had to search for some kids... worst fucking section in a game ever, those fucking kids hid extremely well :(

Just what happened to me, and this game too.

NIghtWolf

IzumiK said:
Some more RPGs should embrace the button combination attacking style.

Agreed, that was the main reason that makes the game attractive to me when I played the demo, even though I got the game like 3 years later lol ( it was one of those very rarely games to find and every time they got it in the store it was like $60 and used, I was like fuk that then I buy it online :p) Definitely the combination combos was the best, many nice techniques as well.

Im thinking to port it on to my psp and play it again but something tells me that when I get in disc 2 im not going to have the mental preparation to continue.

MoxManiac

ErasureAcer said:
Greatest game ever.

what the fuck

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The most memorable game I've ever played. Twice even!
But hey, keep on hating, passionate haters! Hating on Xenogears is an ancient GAF tradition after all, can't have a Xenogears thread without it. :lol

silenttwn said:
Neither did Square. Oh, SNAP. ROFL.

LOL. yeah, the game is clearly rushed- shame we'll never see it as the designer intended.

Also: I had fun playing this when I owned it, but man I despise it now for inflicting xenosaga on us.

THAT game(s) took the worst parts of Xenogears and chucked the fun

Kiriku said:
The most memorable game I've ever played. Twice even!
But hey, keep on hating, passionate haters! Hating on Xenogears is an ancient GAF tradition after all, can't have a Xenogears thread without it. :lol
Of all of the games, that I like, that are hated on GAF, I can understand the hate for this game.

Top Bottom