• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Official Thread of AWESOME) GO! PSP! GO!

duckroll

theultimo said:
Ok. IGA loses for retranslating SOTN.

Not as fun :\

The "translation" is also worse. I'm playing it with Japanese voices on, and I refuse to believe that whoever "retranslated" this script ever looked at the Japanese script. It seems like they took the original SotN translation and just reworded stuff or removed words to make it different. Inaccuracies and missing lines all over the place. They really should have left it alone.

This isn't entirely IGA's fault though, and the dual language options for the entire package is a pretty sweet deal. I'm loving replaying Rondo and SotN along with a pretty nice Rondo remake, all in one package and on the go too! :D

Symytry

Erdrick said:
I also live in Winnipeg and was told by the EB clerk that "They delayed the game until Halloween since it was so close." I wanted to reply "But I know people have it." But, really, I guess I can wait a week. Quebec is also my suspicion (AGAIN.) since it's their language laws that really mess up releases here. I'm considering just ordering online but, hell, it's not like I don't have other games to play. I'm juggling Okami, Phoenix Wright 3 and FFT on the PSP, ATM as it is.

I'm in agreement with your suspicions. Stupid french speaking Canadians and their damn minority language laws, I mean it's not as if the fucking game gets "frenchied" just the manual and what use is that if there isn't a scrap of french dialogue/text in-game?

I think Quebec should have to wait until the euro release of the game, whereas they can actually play the game in their language.

Ordering online is useless since I've preordered this along with Front Mission at EB already. And I am finishing up Gurumin before I move on to play another game anyways so the delay wasn't all that disappointing. I was more pissed that I wasted the time to head down to EB and check for the game.

duckroll

Sorry to hear canadians not being able to get the game yet, but hey at least you're not in Japan! The Japanese release is 8th Nov! :lol

I'm glad they released the english version in Asia day and date with the US one. Phew.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
duckroll said:
The "translation" is also worse. I'm playing it with Japanese voices on, and I refuse to believe that whoever "retranslated" this script ever looked at the Japanese script. It seems like they took the original SotN translation and just reworded stuff or removed words to make it different. Inaccuracies and missing lines all over the place. They really should have left it alone.

This isn't entirely IGA's fault though, and the dual language options for the entire package is a pretty sweet deal. I'm loving replaying Rondo and SotN along with a pretty nice Rondo remake, all in one package and on the go too! :D
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. The translation really isn't very good at all (ie - not accurate). That's not to say that literal translations are always the best, but in this case, the results aren't even that good.

Still, I do like having the English voices in there (I kind of waffle between them) as it gives the game a new feel. Did everyone REALLY want the same old voice work when we've already heard it so many times?

theultimo

dark10x said:
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. The translation really isn't very good at all (ie - not accurate). That's not to say that literal translations are always the best, but in this case, the results aren't even that good.

Still, I do like having the English voices in there (I kind of waffle between them) as it gives the game a new feel. Did everyone REALLY want the same old voice work when we've already heard it so many times?
Actually, yes. it fits the game very well, especially Alcuard.

dark10x

theultimo said:
Actually, yes. it fits the game very well, especially Alcuard.
Yes, but again, the original version is available all over the place. This is something new.

theultimo

dark10x said:
Yes, but again, the original version is available all over the place. This is something new.
I do like how they remastered sounds/graphics/smoother gameplay, but it loses the charm if the Voices aren't there. Its like a retranslation of Resident Evil 1. What would that game be like without the cheeze factor?

duckroll

theultimo said:
I do like how they remastered sounds/graphics/smoother gameplay, but it loses the charm if the Voices aren't there. Its like a retranslation of Resident Evil 1. What would that game be like without the cheeze factor?

REmake? :D

dark10x

duckroll said:
Being new doesn't mean it's better or good right?
Of course not, but when you've been through something so many times it does make one curious.

Then again, I actually enjoyed Metal Gear Twin Snakes. Having an alternate version of something is more interesting for me than replaying the same thing over and over again. You can always go back to the original version.

duckroll

dark10x said:
Then again, I actually enjoyed Metal Gear Twin Snakes. Having an alternate version of something is more interesting for me than replaying the same thing over and over again. You can always go back to the original version.

The issue here is, that's another bad example. Twin Snakes was a remake of a VERY good game, and aside from some not so hot gameplay tweaks, the game script and voice cast was intact. While the gameplay and cutscenes could be considered worse, the graphics were certainly better and yes, it was a new experience.

Here, the big deal that they kept talking about in interviews was that it would be a brand new translation and dub that was supposed to IMPROVE a script/dub that was considered by many to be pretty poor. Instead of making it better, they made it WORSE. Awful.

theultimo

Pureauthor said:
Is it worse in the stylistic sense, or worse in the 'accuracy to the original' sense?

Or both?
Its basically the same translation with a few words moved around. ALthough, the voice actors actually speak their lines correctly though.

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
Is it worse in the stylistic sense, or worse in the 'accuracy to the original' sense?

Or both?

Style is subjective, so I'll leave that battle for someone else. Accuracy-wise I personally refuse to believe that any professional translator of a decent skill level could be working with the original Japanese script and come up with the result that's in Dracula X Chronicles. It really, really feels like an edited version of the original translation just to sound "different" because I don't see anything "better" while playing with Japanese voices and comparing. Tons of missing middle sentences, and some stuff are reworded way beyond their original meaning.

dark10x

Twin Snakes was a remake of a VERY good game, and aside from some not so hot gameplay tweaks, the game script and voice cast was intact.
The script was changed and the voices re-recorded. Several characters lost their accents even (in the US version).

duckroll

dark10x said:
The script was changed and the voices re-recorded. Several characters lost their accents even (in the US version).

No, the script is 100% identical. You can go check for yourself. The voices were re-recorded for the sake of it, but the script was NOT changed. Not even for minor continuity stuff that they could have.

duckroll said:
No, the script is 100% identical. You can go check for yourself. The voices were re-recorded for the sake of it, but the script was NOT changed. Not even for minor continuity stuff that they could have.

There were some minor (rather pointless) changes to the script in Twin Snakes actually.

Symytry said:
I'm in agreement with your suspicions. Stupid french speaking Canadians and their damn minority language laws, I mean it's not as if the fucking game gets "frenchied" just the manual and what use is that if there isn't a scrap of french dialogue/text in-game?

I think Quebec should have to wait until the euro release of the game, whereas they can actually play the game in their language.

Ordering online is useless since I've preordered this along with Front Mission at EB already. And I am finishing up Gurumin before I move on to play another game anyways so the delay wasn't all that disappointing. I was more pissed that I wasted the time to head down to EB and check for the game.
Hey whoa hey whoa hey whoa.

Hey.

Whoa.

No need to insult our friends in Quebec. I'm sure if they could change it, they would. The "language law" thing is unfortunately a political point, so it's incredibly resistant to being changed or struck down. It's a stupid law, but it's not the Quebecor gamers who should be spanked for it.

dark10x

Red Blaster said:
There were some minor (rather pointless) changes to the script in Twin Snakes actually.
Yeah, I recall this as well. Nothing like SotN here or anything, but there were a number of lines that I remember well from the original that were modified in TS.

Link1110

duckroll said:
Style is subjective, so I'll leave that battle for someone else. Accuracy-wise I personally refuse to believe that any professional translator of a decent skill level could be working with the original Japanese script and come up with the result that's in Dracula X Chronicles. It really, really feels like an edited version of the original translation just to sound "different" because I don't see anything "better" while playing with Japanese voices and comparing. Tons of missing middle sentences, and some stuff are reworded way beyond their original meaning.
The easiest way to tell this is in SotN's intro where they cherrypicked the lines to keep, despite them not being the same as the original.

"Tribute!? You steal men's souls!" was not in the original in any shape or form. In fact, the only like that was close to the original was "Die now and leave this world! You'll never belong here!"

Literally (And crappily) translated, it was "Die! This is not the world you live in!"

castle007

Banned
gamespot hasn't reviewed this game yet. Too hard for them?? :lol

I am thinking that they will give it 7.5 :( maybe 8.0

It will probably end up as the lowest scoring portable CV

Dilbert

Actually, I should clarify: How does the difficulty compare to the easy difficulty in UGnG?

As much as I'd like to believe than an "old-school challenge" would be appealing to me, the reality is that I don't have the time or patience to deal with that crap now. :(

Skilletor

-jinx- said:
Actually, I should clarify: How does the difficulty compare to the easy difficulty in UGnG?

As much as I'd like to believe than an "old-school challenge" would be appealing to me, the reality is that I don't have the time or patience to deal with that crap now. :(

What are the differences between UGnG on normal and easy?

I don't think Castlevania is very hard at all...but I frequently play old 2D nes and snes platformers. (I want a ninja gaiden trilogy in 2.5D remake!)

duckroll

-jinx- said:

Erm, unlike GnG games this isn't something you beat in one sitting. Instead whenever you get to a stage, if you get a game over or choose to quit to the menu, you can continue at the start of that stage. All unlocked stages are selectable so you can go back for secrets. It's not really remotely a "hard as balls" games, and is rather progressive as far as sidescrollers go. This definitely isn't something you would group with "omg oldschool too hard" games.

castle007

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Just out of curiosity, how does the remake handle the famous pre-battle dialog with Richter and Dracula?

here

duckroll said:
Here's the director's cut.

rit-icon.jpg
Die Igarashi, you don't belong in this world.
iga-icon.jpg
It was not by my hand that I was once again appointed producer.
iga-icon.jpg
I was called here by.... fanboys... who wish to pay Me tribute.
rit-icon.jpg
Tribute?
rit-icon.jpg
You steal gamers' money, and make them your slaves!
iga-icon.jpg
Perhaps the same can be said of all game developers.
rit-icon.jpg
Your words are as empty as your soul.
rit-icon.jpg
Castlevania ill needs a savior such as you...
iga-icon.jpg
What is a game?
iga-icon.jpg
A miserable little pile of code!
iga-icon.jpg
But enough talk, have at you!

SOTN.jpg

iga-icon.jpg
No... It can not be Ahhhhhhhhhh.

tokkun

So 50% of this thread is people complaining about slight modifications in translation for a game that's included as a bonus and barely has any dialog to begin with.

duckroll

ezekial45 said:
Just out of curiosity, how does the remake handle the famous pre-battle dialog with Richter and Dracula?

Okay, here goes:

Original Japanese said:
Richter: Be destroyed! This world has no place for you.
Dracula: I was not revived by my own strength. I was revived by humanity and their greed. The only justice here is power itself.
Richter: Those are just your selfish excuses! Humanity is brought together by common beliefs and needs, they gather together, and walk in those directions.
Dracula: Ah but currently, can it not be said that mankind having developed greed, is therefore driven by that belief?
Richter: Mankind cannot be driven by power alone. Respect and a loving heart can also drive a man.
Dracula: Hmmph. Whichever is righteous, shall be settled by death itself.

Original translation said:
Richter: Die Monster, you don't belong in this world.
Dracula: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by... humans... who wish to pay me tribute.
Richter: Tribute? You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves!
Dracula: Perhaps the same can be said of all religion.
Richter: Your words are as empty as your soul. Mankind ill needs a savior such as you...
Dracula: What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!

New translation said:
Richter: Dracula. Die now, and leave this world! You'll never belong here!
Dracula: Oh, but this world invitied me. Your own kind called me forth with praise and tribute.
Richter: Tribute? Your're a thief. You steal men's souls, their freedom...
Dracula: Freedom is always sacrificed to faith, good hunter. Or Are you really here by choice.
Richter: All I'm here is for you. To hell with your heresy! You're nothing but a blight on mankind!
Dracula: Ha! Mankind, a cesspit of hatred and lies. Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!

mosaic

go eat paint
castle007 said:
gamespot hasn't reviewed this game yet. Too hard for them?? :lol

I am thinking that they will give it 7.5 :( maybe 8.0

It will probably end up as the lowest scoring portable CV
No. They assigned it to a freelancer (me) at the last minute, and I haven't played through enough yet to write what I'd feel is a balanced and complete review. Look for it Monday. FYI-difficulty seems nicely balanced in the remake. Just for the sake of comparison, I finished both games on Castlevania Chronicle for the PS1. Now THOSE were difficult.

And the score it gets is the score it gets. Not sure what world you live in, but 7.5 and 8 are NOT bad scores from GameSpot. The site scores conservatively. Everyone knows this. Lord, I'd love to be able to give more games 8's and above... publishers just don't put out many that are deserving.

What score am I going to give this? Heh, you'll have to wait and see *grin*

ezekial45

Banned
Thanks Duckroll. I have to say that the new dialog doesn't sound so bad. The reason why i liked the original one is that it was so over the top. The new one actually seems quite dramatic. However, the original japanese dialog was excellent.

Dilbert

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should be adding it to my collection just in time for my business trip next week!

kazuo

Docpan said:
Actually, just to clarify, IGA DID in fact helm the SotN project, though he came on board halfway through.

Please, know what you're talking about next time. His name is in the freakin' credits for God's sake.

Um, I am well-aware that his name is in the credits.

Per the game:
Toru Hagihara (Producer & Director)
Koji Igarashi (Assistant Director & Scenario)

Although it is possible he influenced certain aspects of the game, by your own statement, he joined the project halfway through -- unless Hagihara pulled a Shinji Mikami and threw a game well on its way to being completed into the trash can and started over (Resident Evil 2), IGA couldn't have had THAT much influence on the game as an Assistant Director that joined the project halfway through. IIRC, the title was given to him more out of respect than anything else.

Hagihara is the man responsible for SotN/NitM. IGA is responsible for the avalanche of rehashed trash that heaps feces on the franchise.

Please know what you're talking about next time. Thanks.

lol....man I really don't get this whole claim that every 2-d CV since SotN is just utter garbage. They are good games, certainly not "trash". Re-hashes, yes, but far from "trash". Hating just to hate? Seems like it.

Does this game hurt anyone elses eyes? The blur/ghosting of the background makes it so I can't play very long before I have to stop.

Chemo

SuperEnemyCrab said:
lol....man I really don't get this whole claim that every 2-d CV since SotN is just utter garbage. They are good games, certainly not "trash". Re-hashes, yes, but far from "trash". Hating just to hate? Seems like it.
Maybe we hate them because the level design is shit, there's no challenge and the sprites haven't changed since Rondo? Or maybe we hate them because they're the exact same thing, over and over and over again. Or could it be the fact that maybe we grew up with the series, and saw it grow/progress/improve or at the very least CHANGE with each mainline iteration up to and including Symphony, where it ran into a brick fucking wall?

I guess none of these reasons are good enough to hate? The best three things IGA's had his name on in the last ten years are Symphony of the Night, Castlevania Chronicles, and Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles -- and none of those games were actually designed by him. If that doesn't scream "hey there's a big fucking problem with the guy in charge of this shit," I don't know what does. He's lazy, his direction sucks, and he has no desire or drive to improve the series in any way.

And I apologize. I really did not want to make a big "I hate IGA" post, but I can't fucking stand when people say that I am unjustified in my dislike of this tripe. IGA's Castlevanias are no different than EA's yearly installments of sports titles. Incremental improvements, just enough to get by, because who cares -- your target audience will buy them anyway. How can anyone defend that?

Demigod Mac

Ugh. Alucard and Maria have such annoying new voices. The original actors matched the characters perfectly, despite the actual performances.

Chemo said:
Maybe we hate them because the level design is shit, there's no challenge and the sprites haven't changed since Rondo? Or maybe we hate them because they're the exact same thing, over and over and over again. Or could it be the fact that maybe we grew up with the series, and saw it grow/progress/improve or at the very least CHANGE with each mainline iteration up to and including Symphony, where it ran into a brick fucking wall?

I guess none of these reasons are good enough to hate? The best three things IGA's had his name on in the last ten years are Symphony of the Night, Castlevania Chronicles, and Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles -- and none of those games were actually designed by him. If that doesn't scream "hey there's a big fucking problem with the guy in charge of this shit," I don't know what does. He's lazy, his direction sucks, and he has no desire or drive to improve the series in any way.

And I apologize. I really did not want to make a big "I hate IGA" post, but I can't fucking stand when people say that I am unjustified in my dislike of this tripe. IGA's Castlevanias are no different than EA's yearly installments of sports titles. Incremental improvements, just enough to get by, because who cares -- your target audience will buy them anyway. How can anyone defend that?

Wow. You need a hug!

Top Bottom