• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2007 edition

NJ Shlice

DSCN1684.jpg

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Personal gameroom/PC room
setup.jpg

Edit: The Pioneer is now set up in the den room.

Pio.jpg

Edit#2: The 65" Sony in the living room. This is where all the multiplayer gaming takes place.

Sony.jpg

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I feel like I can post in this topic now. Though my setup still sucks.

2058911382_b074b3a919.jpg

Got a new Panasonic 42" plasma yesterday

I need to get a new stand though.

Edit: Lol dust

Zyzyxxz

Kadey said:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/kade215/setup.jpg

LOL you got a hello kitty water coolerr!

Unless you're a chick its ok... but even so it looks so out of place in a world of cold, black, electronics and you got your sole Hello Kitty water cooler maintaining a beacon of hope.

Numbers

Zyzyxxz said:
LOL you got a hello kitty water coolerr!

Unless you're a chick its ok... but even so it looks so out of place in a world of cold, black, electronics and you got your sole Hello Kitty water cooler maintaining a beacon of hope.

what

Black_Ice said:
I feel like I can post in this topic now. Though my setup still sucks.

IMG

Got a new Panasonic 42" plasma yesterday

I need to get a new stand though.

Edit: Lol dust

Nice set up. Low quality pics FTL though :(

Kazenone

I'm moving into my own place next week, and you guys have given me some great ideas for my setup. Thanks and i'll post some pictures next week!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
My primary gaming area...

Rather weakly stitched view from my couch...

Click for larger view....

From left to right....

- Rock Band stuff
- Boxed NES, SNES, Genesis, PC, 3DO and Turbo Grafix 16 games
- Sony KDL46XBR2 LCD TV
- PS2, Xbox, GameCube, PS1, Saturn, Sega CD, and PSP games
- Sony Vaio desktop
- Random games, next gen stuff (360, PS3, Wii) and unsorted crap

inner-G

Banned
DCFC0043.jpg

27" Insignia 720p/1080i (HDMI)

Pioneer receiver (optical connection), Sony & JBL speakers, PC is hooked up to TV/reciever as well for videos and music and stuff (not a gaming PC)

DCFC0046.jpg

PS3, SNES, and slim PS2 with flip-top for imports and GH I and II.
sorry for the lighting, using a $50 digicam :/

Goldrusher

Kadey said:
-=Panasonic TH42PZ77U=-
-=Pioneer PDP-4280HD =-
-=Panasonic TH-42PH9UK=-
-=Panasonic TH-42PHD6UY=-
-=Sony KP-65WV700=-
-=Philips Magnavox 9P5531C=-
-=Dell LCD W1900=-
-=Dell W3706MC times two=-
-=Sony KDL-40XBR3=-
+
130+ systems
+
1900+ games

w t f

Niks

6lkas6q.jpg

- 50" Panasonic plasma
- White Knight Story trailer
- Custom made TV stand
- 5.1 Surround setup
The speaker/receiver combo is a few years old.
Waiting till next year to update to a 7.1 setup.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Niks said:
6lkas6q.jpg

- 50" Panasonic plasma
- Custom made TV stand
- 5.1 Surround setup

Where did you get the TV Stand made? Is it a place online? How much did it cost?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That is a very nice setup, actually. The only thing slightly out of place is the TV (a black bezel would have worked much better, I think).

harSon

Banned
Alfarif said:
Where did you get the TV Stand made? Is it a place online? How much did it cost?

With some decent wood work experience, it almost looks like something that is simple enough to craft by hand. I really dig its simplicity.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
harSon said:
With some decent wood work experience, it almost looks like something that is simple enough to craft by hand. I really dig its simplicity.

Elegant, yet bold. Understated, yet it's the perfect centerpiece.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
harSon said:

That's what I was thinking but I have no woodworking experience... though I have been thinking about taking up the trade to custom make bookcases and other things.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
aktham said:
This is actually the 2008 setup at this point. I updated things a bit this past year from my last post.
IMG_2520.jpg

Panasonic Plasma 50" TH-PZ700U (I don't know if I can go back to LCD after this) along with Onkyo TX-SR705 (Onkyo TX-SR605 pictured)

Hey i have that same Panny! Are you loving it! How do you like that Onkyo?

harSon

Banned
Alfarif said:
That's what I was thinking but I have no woodworking experience... though I have been thinking about taking up the trade to custom make bookcases and other things.

Possibly go to Home Depot and have them cut the wood to your liking? They cut wood to my liking a year or so back after I failed miserably trying to make a projector screen with a dull hand saw :p With some wood, paint, and the help of Home Depot you're likely good to go. I may do a similar thing when I move into my new apartment, furniture really is overpriced and this seems like a simple cost effective yet viable alternative.

new toy coming :D

rda71.jpg

Integra Research RDA 7.1 AMP
150 Watts per channel into 8ohms
damn thing weighs a ton, 115lbs!
Will be using this to drive my B&W speakers and in the mean time using my Pioneer Elite 84VSX-TSi as a pre-amp, until i get a new separate pre-amp.

MSRP just got marked down to half because no one is buying them seeing how goddamn huge they are :lol

here's a size comparison
276_5_big.jpg

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Niks said:
6lkas6q.jpg

- 50" Panasonic plasma
- Custom made TV stand
- 5.1 Surround setup

sick, how do you hide the wires?

look at the cars pic, LCD black levels have come a long way (the first pic is the flash creating that tint in the middle of the screen). plus you cant beat the price for 60" of 1080p/24 sex. next upgrade is the panasonic AE2000u, for some 1080p/24 at 106" god thatll be nuts, good thing i didnt buy the pearl or RS1 last year

gray_fox224

the larry david sandwich said:
look at the cars pic, LCD black levels have come a long way (the first pic is the flash creating that tint in the middle of the screen). plus you cant beat the price for 60" of 1080p/24 sex. next upgrade is the panasonic AE2000u, for some 1080p/24 at 106" god thatll be nuts, good thing i didnt buy the pearl or RS1 last year

That Sony is LCD? I thought it's DLP. Anyhoo, yeah I agree with how far LCDs have come with Black Levels. I have a 46" 1080 Sammy and while it's not as badass like a Pioneer, I' am VERY satisfied with it. One day I'll pick up a Pio set, but I've got to slow down. My 46'' was my second HDTV in less than 1 year.:D

verio

Niks said:
6lkas6q.jpg

- 50" Panasonic plasma
- Custom made TV stand
- 5.1 Surround setup

Now... that... is sexy.

SXRD, but essentially LCD. why spend 5+k on a pioneer when you can have an SXRD and a pearl front projector both considered to be top tier displays in their respective class? that seems silly to me, but to each their own. ive debated on the new kuros before i bought this set, but they are still way overpriced. maybe in 2 years when i get tired of this set

Spike

SXRD, but essentially LCD. why spend 5+k on a pioneer when you can have an SXRD and a pearl front projector both considered to be top tier displays in their respective class? that seems silly to me, but to each their own. ive debated on the new kuros before i bought this set, but they are still way overpriced. maybe in 2 years when i get tired of this set

What set is that? A3000?

if it looked good there it will only look better in person. other then the fact that they have it running on some ungodly brightness with the contrast pumped to infinity, they probably arent feeding it 1080p/24 which if you see film judder makes a huge difference

JB1981

Sony KDS60A3000
how are you liking the sxrd? i was thinking about getting rid of sony xbr 960 crt and upgrading to this. it's almost a foot and a half shorter in depth, almost as wide, is 16" bigger and does 1080p. Post-calibration I'm sure I could get it looking pretty damn fine. It's relatively affordable too. i want the 50"

best tv for the money hands down. only the diamond series mits comes with 1.3 hdmi and is 120Hz like the sony, but its about a grand or more more expensive. Unfortunatly both the samsung and mitsubishi have terrible geometry issues in this years models since they made the bezel so thin. go to your local retailer and press down on the top of the set with the palm of your hand, and enjoy the flex youll see in the panel, its actually pretty scary.

like i said if i went with the 60" kuro id be looking at 5+ grand. im able to buy this 60" and a top of the line front projector for the same cost. not to mention i upgrade like crazy so the hit i would take on selling a pioneer in 2-3 years would be massive since prices on HDTVs will continue to plummet

Smokey

best tv for the money hands down. only the diamond series mits comes with 1.3 hdmi and is 120Hz like the sony, but its about a grand or more more expensive. Unfortunatly both the samsung and mitsubishi have terrible geometry issues in this years models since they made the bezel so thin. go to your local retailer and press down on the top of the set with the palm of your hand, and enjoy the flex youll see in the panel, its actually pretty scary.

like i said if i went with the 60" kuro id be looking at 5+ grand. im able to buy this 60" and a top of the line front projector for the same cost. not to mention i upgrade like crazy so the hit i would take on selling a pioneer in 2-3 years would be massive since prices on HDTVs will continue to plummet

Seems to me your content with calling the Pioneer crap because you didn't want to pony up the dough to buy it so it automatically makes it bad.

:lol

Your TV is fine but stop making the Kuro's sound like they are terrible because YOU didn't want to pay the price they command.

Bildi

if it looked good there it will only look better in person.
In fairness, most flatscreen TVs look worse once you get them home because the poor black levels and lack of shadow detail (both of which are very difficult to assess in a brightly-lit store) are suddenly raping your eyes in the relatively dim light of your own home.

Banned
You can make almost any display look like it has great black levels in a photo. Uncalibrated sets that are usually too bright often do this, which is one reason uncalibrated displays look better in photographs. They're still shit.

aktham

[CFD] El Capitan said:
Hey i have that same Panny! Are you loving it! How do you like that Onkyo?

The Onkyo is sweet as can be. I love both the 605 and the 705 but the 605 is a better deal imo. I will be giving the 605 to my family and i found the 705 for less than a 100 more so i jumped on it. As for the Panny plasma, it is 97% of what the kuro is but at 30% of the price (on a price mistake):D

lord pie

I need to tidy up a bit (cables, etc), but I'm very happy with the setup. :D

The picture looks a bit funny, because I had to fool around with the interior brightness.

stand_p.jpg

If I ever get a PS3 I'll probably move the media centre box behind the couch or something :)

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
lord pie said:

The picture looks a bit funny, because I had to fool around with the interior brightness.

If I ever get a PS3 I'll probably move the media centre box behind the couch or something :)

Nice setup and a nice view.

Smokey Bones said:
Seems to me your content with calling the Pioneer crap because you didn't want to pony up the dough to buy it so it automatically makes it bad.

:lol

Your TV is fine but stop making the Kuro's sound like they are terrible because YOU didn't want to pay the price they command.

Wow reading comprehension appearantly isnt your forte. please point out somewhere in my posts in which i referred to kuros as crap?? They are very impressive sets, probably the best display out there at the moment, but they are way overpriced. hell i could get a 52 in xbr4 and a black pearl for around the same price as a 60 inch kuro.

all im saying is that for me personally since i have a home theater and a decent setup in the living room is that i personally would choose multiple displays that are considered the best in their respective class rather than one that some say is the best.

lord pie said:

http://hungryspoon.com/random/stand_p.jpg[IMG]

If I ever get a PS3 I'll probably move the media centre box behind the couch or something :-)[/QUOTE]

beautiful view, where do you live?

Oh, Niks and Lord Pie... you don't realize how much I envy your simple and elegant setups. Alas, my house has gone a very different direction... but I hope you enjoy visiting my place.

Hopefully this isn't too much of a photo dump. I've been snapping pics of my place over the summer and fall as projects get completed and new gear is accquired. These are the ones that I like the best.

A Designer's Loft:

ALoftyoverview.jpg

^^Snapped a picture during an especially sunny afternoon.
ALoftyOverviewNight.jpg

^^...and tonight at night to illustrate how differently the place looks. The wood ceiling gives it some warmth.
BlackBirdPrototype1.jpg

^^These next few shots I took when I brought home the new HP BlackBird 002 -- it really fits well with the loft. BTW, this is an early prototype of the machine that I helped to test, but it still looked very close to production. BTW, I'm planning on building an entire new desk set out of the aluminum extrusion material like the shelf that holds the big wall-mounted printer -- when I get around to it...
BlackBirdPrototype2.jpg

^^You can sneak a peek at my shop on the right side of this shot. The big server rack on the right side of the desk houses my main gaming PC. It has separate amplifiers to drive the desktop speakers, and an NHT home theater sub nestled in the bottom of the rack. The rack has it's own power center, storage, and is on high-end casters, which is really handy because I'm constantly fiddling and upgrading.
BlackBirdPrototype3.jpg

BlackBirdPrototype5.jpg

BlackBirdPrototype6.jpg

ConsoleShelf1.jpg

^^This is the simple aluminum/lexan/stainless shelf that I built to house all of my consoles and gear. It's a simple design that I built from scratch this spring. Came out great and it still looks new. BTW, the Penny Arcade art here was given to me by Mike and Jerry. But it isn't just art -- these are fully-functioning DDR pads.
ConsoleShelf2.jpg

^^Since these pictures were taken, I've gotten an Elite 360, which goes better with everything, and put the rest of the older Xbox crew out to pasture.
ConsoleShelf3.jpg

DVDTower.jpg

^^A media storage shelf that I built from old snowboards.
GadgetSubStation.jpg

^^On the left is what I like to call the "Gadget SubStation". The bottom houses a hidden 1U rackmounted power center with 12 120V AC outlets to power and charge all of my various portables and gadgets. Everyone needs one of these. It's also got solid aluminum shelving that has all been polished -- back when I was into polishing everything that I made.
Gadgetpspstand1sm.jpg

^^More polished aluminum -- this time it's a PSP charging stand. This is actually the first prototype that I built from scraps that I had lying around. It has 18 fasteners that are all hidden from view. I built four more for friends out of different materials and with alternate finishes.
HomeTheaterLandscape1.jpg

^^I took these after completing my new HTPC, which is housed in the splendid Origen AE S21T case, as seen on the right. It is an all-aluminum PC case with a built-in touchscreen HDTV on the front. The entire screen is motorized and lowers to reveal the optical disc drive tray -- very trick. It's expensive, but it's very much worth it.
HomeTheaterPortrait1.jpg

HomeTheatherOverviewTop.jpg

^^From the mezzanine level.
Mapartoverview-1.jpg

^^The upstairs -- yes those are old fantasy game maps. This was actually my ex-girlfriend's idea.
mapartoblique-1.jpg

Mags.jpg

^^No bathroom would be complete without... :)

Top Bottom