• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2007 edition

Ah, I'm sure you mean the server racks... yes, I'm not very thrilled with them anymore, but they are pretty damn convenient for holding a bunch of stuff and keeping everything organized. I've got a few ideas to trim down everything, but it will take some significant time and effort.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
What I'm most impressed with Stormshadow (as if my opinion really matters) are the game maps and the DDR pads. In fact, i like the game maps so much that I'm going to pull out all of my old Ultima and Asheron's Call maps and do the same thing for my kitchen (which has a lighthouse/sea/pirate theme to it).

The DDR pads are just extremely nice looking. Very clean and give that wall a very nice back drop when not in use for your screen.

And I think you should keep that wood desk instead of building a new one. This is just my tastes talking, because I love wood and can't stand glass and metal, but the printer rack works, in my eyes, because it's the one of the only things like that. I think you would take away from how nice the printer rack looks if you put too much of the aluminum extrusion material in the space.

Otherwise, I've always liked looking at your place because the natural lighting is to die for and you have it nicely setup.

Kuran

Banned
[PA]StormShadow said:
Ah, I'm sure you mean the server racks... yes, I'm not very thrilled with them anymore, but they are pretty damn convenient for holding a bunch of stuff and keeping everything organized. I've got a few ideas to trim down everything, but it will take some significant time and effort.

No I mean your PC, sitting on that beautiful desk. : )

i always wonder how it doesn't burden people to have that much stuff. i mean, it's really cool stuff... but so much of it?! and i know i'd end up only really using 10% of it. so if i had that much 'junk' i'd sell it in a heartbeat. but i guess that's just me. :lol

Cdammen

kenmasters said:
i always wonder how it doesn't burden people to have that much stuff. i mean, it's really cool stuff... but so much of it?! and i know i'd end up only really using 10% of it. so if i had that much 'junk' i'd sell it in a heartbeat. but i guess that's just me. :lol
Oh thank the gods I'm not alone on this :lol

I can't stand collecting things. It sickens me watching stuff just sit there on my shelves collecting dust. Hoarding... ungh. I sell almost every game I've completed. I don't see the point in accumulating "stuff".

JB1981

andrewfee said:
You can make almost any display look like it has great black levels in a photo. Uncalibrated sets that are usually too bright often do this, which is one reason uncalibrated displays look better in photographs. They're still shit.
they might be shit, if everyone had a spectrometer hanging out of their ass to whip out for EVERY TV they bought. The TV certainly isn't "shit." It might not live up to your anal standards but shit it ain't :lol

Find me a better shit TV for $1599.

-viper-

Banned
[PA]StormShadow said:
Oh, Niks and Lord Pie... you don't realize how much I envy your simple and elegant setups. Alas, my house has gone a very different direction... but I hope you enjoy visiting my place.

Hopefully this isn't too much of a photo dump. I've been snapping pics of my place over the summer and fall as projects get completed and new gear is accquired. These are the ones that I like the best.

A Designer's Loft:
WOWOOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWOW.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
[PA]StormShadow said:
A Designer's Loft:

Thanks for posting. I remembered seeing pics of your place ages ago and have been trying to find them since!

Not that it needs to be said but, GREAT setup. :D

*EDIT*
Nice surfboard side table! I did the same thing a few years back. I didn't think about making a snowboard DVD rack though. :( It's damn nice.

Smokey

the larry david sandwich said:
Wow reading comprehension appearantly isnt your forte. please point out somewhere in my posts in which i referred to kuros as crap?? They are very impressive sets, probably the best display out there at the moment, but they are way overpriced. hell i could get a 52 in xbr4 and a black pearl for around the same price as a 60 inch kuro.

all im saying is that for me personally since i have a home theater and a decent setup in the living room is that i personally would choose multiple displays that are considered the best in their respective class rather than one that some say is the best.

So now my reading comprehension sucks because I made a general comment regarding your post. What a nice comeback. Amazing and original, really.

inthegray

been following your setups for years now at the PA forums, stormshadow. glad to see an update on it -- looks fantastic! I remember that you used to work for Monster Cable -- who's funding this setup of yours now?

killakiz

inthegray said:
been following your setups for years now at the PA forums, stormshadow. glad to see an update on it -- looks fantastic! I remember that you used to work for Monster Cable -- who's funding this setup of yours now?
:lol

oneHeero

Wow Stormshadow, you give me something to look forward to win I have my own place(in apt right now). I cant wait to have my own area of the house, hopefully more than 1 room but fiance may limit me, and do as I want. The ideas I get from this thread is awesome.

Kuran said:
No I mean your PC, sitting on that beautiful desk. : )
Ha. Easy now... I'm a little close to that project! ;)
kenmasters said:
I totally hear you. I was quite sincere in saying initially that I admire simple and elegant setups. My ultimate fantasy now is to live on a boat. I think that would be the equivalent of joining a monastery for me.

Even now, my big home theater racks are filled with components that I don't use, save for the HTPC and the big amplifier. I just have to get off my ass and start ebaying it. The HTPC has dual HDTV tuners, HDDVD/Blu Ray drive, and 2TB of storage... kinda knocks other stuff out of the mix, except for the consoles. Hard drive-based media has made most separate components absurdly unnecessary, and I think that company-specific consoles are going to be the next thing that we look at as needless.
Linkzg said:
wait, hold on, ok...what?

how the hell does anyone have such an awesome setup like that! what job do you have?
inthegray said:
Oh gosh, yes that was years ago... but I did work there for a short time when I first moved to the Bay Area. In a roundabout way, it was sort of what got me started in the games industry. Their absurd marketing speak soon became a lightning rod for Mike and Jerry of Penny Arcade. After they lampooned the company in a comic I started talking to them and out of the blue they gave me the opportunity to write a column. I wrote The Hookup for several years after that.

That led to writing a big chunk of Gaming Hacks under Simon Carless for O'Reilly, and then a stint as an editor for Future. Writing really wasn't what I wanted to do permanently, and all the while I continued to build things and consult for gaming hardware companies like HP and Microsoft through ASTRO Studios.

ASTRO brought me in to consult on a third-party controller about three years ago, except that it turned out to be for the Microsoft Xbox 360 -- they were under such super-secret NDA from MS that they couldn't tell me the whole story. I immediately told them that they should build high-end gaming accessories as a separate company, not just as design consultants. I had the start of several good ideas for innovative products, and we got venture capital funding about a year and a half ago, and ASTRO Gaming was born.

ASTRO Gaming is less than three weeks away from shipping the A40 Audio System on Dec 17th. (I've dropped a couple of hints in some of the shots of my place--but if you'd like to see it fo' reals, it's at: http://www.astrogaming.com/product). It's been a long, tough road, but I hope to see my own product in some of these gaming setup pictures soon! :)

oneHeero said:
Wow Stormshadow, you give me something to look forward to win I have my own place(in apt right now). I cant wait to have my own area of the house, hopefully more than 1 room but fiance may limit me, and do as I want. The ideas I get from this thread is awesome.
That's the whole idea! Just post some pictures for us when you are done! :)

You know StormShadow, actually having that much stuff makes it nicer in my opinion. Yes, some people may argue less is more, but it's the amount of stuff you that gives the room detail and makes it that much more fantastic.

But uh....wow. God bless you, my friend.

TEH-CJ

Banned
picture003lh3.jpg

picture002ie6.jpg

picture006hv1.jpg

picture005rp0.jpg

I posted this in the wrong section before, my bad

anyway this is work in progress :D

Setup

Sony bravia - xbr 4
PS3 60 gig hooked up via CREST HDMI 1.3 cable
Logitech Z-5500 hooked up via hdmi using DD 5.1 converter from the bravia
Sony recharge controller pods with multi color led lights

robot

I've posted my setup before but made a few changes, so it gives me an excuse to snap some new ones. I probably should've dusted beforehand, but I'm lazy.

So despite being married with a daughter, I've managed to keep 2 rooms of the house to myself. My wife has grown to except my borderline obsession for this hobby, and in turn I've managed not to go completely overboard and plaster every last wall with videogame propaganda. Well, except for the first room - but I swear it's in good taste.

100_0791.jpg

First there's the office, which is a room the whole family uses. Since I do a decent amount of design work in this room, I threw my Dreamcast(s) in there through VGA to help procrastinate when it comes to deadlines. I secured a set of GOLI Beatmania posters and thought it would be cool to line the wall with 'em (there's a total of 10). For some reason it's one of my favorite design choices in the house, probably because it's something I would never see otherwise, and I love his artwork.

100_0799.jpg

Next we have the basement, which is usually referred to as my room. My passion for videogames pretty much shines in here. I hooked up the Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and FC Twin down here - any other videogame system I own is in the closet off camera. Everything is running in hi-def (except for poor FC) and through an Onkyo 5.1 receiver. It's an amazing, inexpensive htib if anyone's in the market for one. There are a few things I still need to finish down here, like those ugly doors to the right. And last but not least, the final piece in the collection...

100_0801.jpg

Ever since I started playing videogames, I thought the coolest thing on the planet would be to have an arcade in my house. So the first thing I did when my wife and I bought our first home 3 years ago, was search for one. I chose a Sega New Astro City because japanese cabinets look so much cooler than American cabs, it matches the palette down there, and it has one of the best monitors out there. I swapped out the sticks and buttons with Seimitsu and Sanwa parts. I also put temporary plugs on a few buttons for a true Neo layout, and wired a Neo gamepad in case someone can't handle the magic of the sticks.

I put a 4 slot Neo Geo board in there since I'm a huge SNK fan who owned a home system before buying this, and have about 25 carts. I would urge anyone who can fit an arcade in their home to seriously get one, there's no moment in my videogame related memories like booting this thing up for the first time. It's like the feeling of victory.

the larry david sandwich said:
look at the cars pic, LCD black levels have come a long way (the first pic is the flash creating that tint in the middle of the screen). plus you cant beat the price for 60" of 1080p/24 sex. next upgrade is the panasonic AE2000u, for some 1080p/24 at 106" god thatll be nuts, good thing i didnt buy the pearl or RS1 last year

It's nice to see some more FP people on this forum:D

omg rite said:
Can some of you also share your secrets on how you made so much FRIGGIN' MONEY.

I think someone said in last year's thread that "GAF is the kids who saved their pennies for games, all grown up."

I'm working on my PhD and I have a LCD, PS3, and 360 with some games and broadband for online play. I wish I had more time to game on them, but hey :D . I'd rather spend my money on that stuff than alcohol, etc. Some people on here really do rake it in, but some of us just have weird priorities.

Of course, I have no camera to post my own pics in my favorite thread, so <shrugs>

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
omg rite said:
Can some of you also share your secrets on how you made so much FRIGGIN' MONEY.

I think it was said before in this thread but I'll say it again: it's not so much that everyone is spending tons of cash as that they are buying more with the cash they have.

For instance, Shadowstorm obviously makes a lot of the items in his place. Some of it he gets free, or gets to test and probably gets to keep after testing. That goes a long way in making his place look so great.

Other folks shop for deals. I remember someone putting up a list of their yearly gaming purchases... they spent, overall, $900 but bought at least $1500 worth of stuff. In that same thread (and this was a recent one but I can't remember which) someone bought $900 worth of stuff (not including consoles) and got nowhere near the amount of content as the previous person I mentioned did. So shopping wisely is another way.

And some folks really do rake in the cash. Funny enough, these guys are the folks that don't buy a lot but they buy quality. Look through the thread again and you will typically see these folks with the minimalist setups but the exceptionally high quality, professional level gear.

Top Bottom