• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I think iRacing was doing laser-scanning for a while, and we looked at their rig, but the rig wasn't as accurate as what we were measuring with a GPS rig, and we actually brought [spirit] levels out.

Weow...

There's PR and then there is this BS...

And I love how they started off claiming all tracks were laser scanned and now it's only some but they kept the best older ones
while actually removing the most accurate ones and keeping the least accurate ones...

eso76

Weow...

There's PR and then there is this BS...

And I love how they started off claiming all tracks were laser scanned and now it's only some but they kept the best older ones
while actually removing the most accurate ones and keeping the least accurate ones...

same with cars, you'll see.
2 years is plenty of time to add grass and copy paste caravans and crowd around Sonoma and hockenheim.
FM5 is bought, but T10 will have to work their collective ass off to get me interested in 6.
Maybe Friday will change my mind though :p

It did, it just wasn't released in the US. ;)
It had a second DVD with trailers, interview, etc...

151013032-xbox-forza-motorsport-limited-edition.jpg

I also thought about going digital with Forza but like others, I couldn't wait for it to download. Also, dat Forzavista 787b...

I got that version too, sadly in french because was the only version I found for sale.

I had the Forza 1 LE too. I haven't got any of my original Xbox games anymore (or the console) as they were lost in the flood. Still got my LE versions of FM2, FM3, FM4 and FH though.

saladine1

A nice little insight into how physics are determined in case anyone is interested.

Do you get to drive them?(To gauge physics/handling)

We don't really need to drive them. This is the thing that people misunderstand about racing games. If we were not trying to be a sim, we might have to drive them. But because we're trying to be a sim, we don't have to drive them. The reason is, when you think about a car's 0-60 time, or its horsepower - those are all the results of physics. Those aren't 'the physics'.

So we are recreating the way the car makes power, and how that power goes through the inertia in the drive shaft, and where the friction is, how long the suspension is, where the tyre patch is in contact with the road and how it move and what the resulting physics of that is. The reason that a car in the real world might understeer or oversteer is because of those attributes. We measure and model all of those physical attributes.

But how can you be sure that the physics engine is working properly if you don't test at least some of the cars? Surely you need to have a baseline for the physics engine, even if you've got all the data to feed into it?

So, we do research the cars. We have a whole bunch of things like 0-60 that we research. And yes, there is a test suite, that's an automation that goes through and runs all the cars from 0-60 and we're able to see that our game hits the same numbers. But we've been spot-on with that for years.

The level of detail and simulation that we're into, it's about polar moment of inertia and the way the car moves around, which isn't going to show itself in 0-60. You can hit 0-60 by hook or by crook, but actually getting the way it's going to make Gs and the way it's going to add yaw by moving the weight to the front versus the back - this is all about suspension and tyre physics and inertia through the car.
The only way to get that right is to measure everything on the car - really take the car apart and build a math model that allows us to reconstruct the car accurately. There's no way to test that against the real data. There's not a widespread database of cars polar moment of inertia. There's a small number. Whereas 0-60, there's a widespread database. So that's why we automate the testing of that.

eso76

A nice little insight into how physics are determined in case anyone is interested.

So, they want me to believe that stuff like 0-60 is not just data they input for each car, but the result of their physics engine's calculations. Power, weight, torque etc are taken into account and the result is perfectly accurate.

I somehow don't believe it :p

Also, since they only have 200 cars it wouldn't have killed them to have stuff like the gearshift moving into correct position in cockpit view :p
Since they're cutting 500 cars because autovista lol i would expect perfection from the remaining 200.

saladine1

Some impressions from a guy on FM.net who played the game at the Jalopnik party

The IndyCar and F1 cars are rated X999. You can change the body kits on the IndyCar and wheels. It cost me 4000 tokens. And went for a "dark wood" paint job which to my surprise looked incredibly realistic, like actually made of wood. There were 3 rim style category choices: racing spec, 3-piece rims, and special rims, that all looked superb and detailed with the correct texture of metals, painted, and polished. White painted wheels are now truly WHITE. The lotus would have a slight edge from stability and acceleration compared to W12. Cornering is about even and take different angle approaches to corners. The lateral rated G's did not seem to change when I upgraded the IndyCar.

Tuning is pretty much the same but the results of tunes have changed dramatically. The same tune in Forza 4 will work different on Forza 5 on the same car. Painting is also the same on the options on what to do with the livery, but they added 5 or 6 new pages custom user generated contend.

I tried to full game and the driveatars have like 5 or 6 difficulties above "avarage" I suggest that no one tries "unbeatable" because that is ridiculously no joke. Pro was really aggressive and way harder than Forza 4 can ever dream of.

As far as the career progression goes. It can go were ever you would like it to go which mean it only depends on what you enjoy the most. The most impressive part of the career was the Top Gear track that had you go around it with literally thousands of junk along the path. It is a must see, at the start of the race there are countless trash bins in the way and the A.I. in front just took off trying to pass each other while the waves of trash bins flew over. The other life-size cardboard cutouts of London buses and famous building in the way where players most likely to run off the track. The physics on the objects were incredible and realistic with absolutely no frame drops with all that mayhem. It would seem like Top Gear was making a mockery of it self by putting all that clutter on the track because it is just an empty air field, so it wanted "some" landmark and scenery for their track.

Career Progression is great and it only depends on your choices of what you like to do. You really don't have to grid anymore to get or do what you want.

From what I played Autovista is integrated to the home screen and you start with the current my car and can jump straight to Autovista from there. You can jump in the car, lookaround, start the engine, display autovista styled stats of the car and pretty much everything from the the previous autovista. No commentary though.
I have played the full game at the Jalopnik party in San Fran and the best part of having Bathurst in the game is that the cars have actual weight to them. The weight physics are really impressive and it shows on this track the most. Some of the turns felt like you were on Fujimo. Road Atlanta was not playable because it is part of the 3 downloadable tracks and the Xbox had no connection to Xbox Live.

There was never a mention of these features in the game. Downforce is static for cars, so I'm sure that the active aero is just for show in game. DRS and KERS would be like them adding nitrous to the game. There is no way that is functional. Although I like to mention that I could find this out later this day at the Jalopnik party in San Fransisco to confirm this or any other assumptions. It will be the full game. No demos.

Mascot

Downforce is static for cars, so I'm sure that the active aero is just for show in game.

I'm amazed that active aero still doesn't affect drag or downforce. I'd have thought it would be relatively easy to implement by changing some basic parameters.

dejay

Banned
Sounds good. Good levels of AI off the bat from the sounds of things too.

Wonder what the other two tracks are? Please be Maple Valley and Suzuka.

JimiNutz

Banned
A good score for this and Killer Instinct will push me over the edge and convince me to keep my launch day console.

At the moment I have both preordered but the lack of any great PS4 games convinced me to try and sell on my PS4 or give it away as a Christmas present for my cousin.

As much as I try not to get excited for Xbox One, I still get hyped when I think of Forza 5 and Killer Instinct...
Bad/mediocre reviews for both and I'll just sell on the Xbox One as well, but good reviews and I will buy into the hype and enjoy my first launch day console.

Secretly, on the inside, I'm hoping that both games score well... Just don't tell my girlfriend that.

saladine1

XBox 360 Wheels on XBox One
So far there is no adapter solution to make an Xbox360 wheels compatible with Xbox One and it is unsure if this will be possible.
But there is a high chance that you can use your pedals, rims and shifters with a potential new Fanatec wheel for Xbox One although we cannot confirm a launch date yet. This will save you a lot of money and you can keep using the equipment you prefer.

https://www.facebook.com/Fanatec

Happy days..?

Mascot is back!!

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!

I would think they are tracks we already know about, just not on the disc.

Jezehbell

The game looks gorgeous but... if it was not free (i'm european), I wouldn't have bought it. Not a big fan of racing games.

eso76

Guys, forget about it, it's 2 tracks we already know about, just like we already knew about Road Atlanta.
It's 14 locations INCLUDING the 3 downloadable tracks don't get your hopes up.

Good impressions though, you'll learn to fear my wooden lambo

flashmouth

Neo Member
I wonder if we will see a difference in detail between the tracks on disc and the downloadable ones. RA is one of the downloads and you guys already said it looks like a quick port rather redone from scratch.

jet1911

So we are recreating the way the car makes power, and how that power goes through the inertia in the drive shaft, and where the friction is, how long the suspension is, where the tyre patch is in contact with the road and how it move and what the resulting physics of that is. The reason that a car in the real world might understeer or oversteer is because of those attributes. We measure and model all of those physical attributes.

Downforce is static for cars, so I'm sure that the active aero is just for show in game.

Huh?

drproton

MS did a good job getting that McLaren P1 in the pre-show for the United States Grand Prix. It didn't seem like an advertisement for Xbox at all; very subtle.

Then they took most of the subsequent commercial break to talk about Forza 5.

SparksBCN

Neo Member
I'm amazed that active aero still doesn't affect drag or downforce. I'd have thought it would be relatively easy to implement by changing some basic parameters.
I'm sorry but I don't buy it. In fact, I remember reading that active aero affected drag in Forza 3 despite not being visually represented, so...

Nope, they are Catalunya and the Airfield Test Track. So we knew the entire track roster already.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bathurst! they havent shown a replay yet - someone ask if they are 30fps + motion blur

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the ai does indeed look pretty good. he mentioned what difficulty it was on, but i forget. looks like he is fairly confident at playing and the races have all been competitive.

AI sounds like the best thing so far. Seems like the only redeeming factor regarding "teh cloud", but a damn good factor at that.

The static aero is pretty disappointing considering all the stuff they can pull off with the tech.

EDIT: Damn, can't watch at work. =[

G Rom

The guy on Gamespot said he logged in this morning and apparently his drivatar had raced 67 races during the night, giving him ~15k credits.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/xbox-one-pre-launch-live/2300-6416189/

Scroll back to somewhere around 16 minutes.

The two guys who were not playing were cringe worthy with there comments... "Is it really called mount panorama ?" "What's Lotus time ?"
Also did I hear one of the two say that Bern was in Austria ?

Anyway, game looks gorgeous and the Drivatar seems great, especially loved the Spa 2000 move at Bathurst race. We could see the liveries being pulled from the cloud during those races as well, pretty neat.

Mascot

We could see the liveries being pulled from the cloud during those races as well, pretty neat.

That's a fantastic innovation but hopefully we can also choose what liveries to use on Drivatar cars and not be at the mercy of whatever gold chrome/dark timber/pink flowers combo the original owners have come up with. Some of those liveries in that Gamespot video were fucking hideous and would absolutely ruin the racing for me. It would be a shame if we are forced race against them when we have a suite of awesome H3rTz race replica liveries in our lockers. Those shitty homebrew ones by talentless fucks make the race look like a comedy event full of clown cars.

Top Bottom