• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

derFeef

i am a happy person

vader.jpg

:)

That's the thing, nobody is giving T10 crap for reusing assets. The problem is saying you're doing everything from scratch (and using it as a excuse to cut a lot of content) when it's obviously a lie.

True. And if we can have the old tracks, why not put more of them in the game.

Just a thought, but maybe (due to time constraints) some of the tracks that ship with the game are quick placeholder reskins, and fully reworked/laser scanned tracks will be released later once they are finished?

Thought that might be the case when we saw Laguna Seca but I'm doubting it now.

Mascot

Thought that might be the case when we saw Laguna Seca but I'm doubting it now.

It would be madness for any developer to make such high profile false claims these days - they are so quickly and easily disproved. That's why I think there's probably a more innocent explanation. Misquoting, misinterpretation or simple semantics, perhaps?

Some clarification from Turn 10 would be most welcome.

Helios?

Boggles the mind people who frequent a site such as this are unaware old peripherals will not work.

It's been known for a long time.

This is interesting. As a member of NeoGAF you're probably far more tuned in to videogaming news and developments that the average gamer, yet the news about legacy support for old hardware - specifically racing wheels in this case - remained hidden from you through no fault of your own and despite exposure to this forum. It really makes me wonder just how many people are buying Xbones (and PS4s) expecting their old wheels, fight sticks, third-party joypads etc to work with their new hardware. I bet there's going to be a whole host of shocked and angry people next week when they realise their expensive racing rigs are now redundant and they need to go back to racing with a joypad, or face spunking even more money updating their hardware. I've got friends with 360s and PS3s who don't frequent gaming forums and are buying into next gen without really knowing what they are getting apart from what they've seen in TV adverts.

If I hadn't read the previous Forza thread, I would've assumed that the old wheels would still work over USB, because I still can't see a reason why their wouldn't. Just like the Logitech PS2 wheels still worked on the PS3 and Gran Turismo.

flashmouth

Neo Member
They already stepped down from "every track is built entirely new and laserscanned" to "only the ones we were not ok with". And then Dan said they made a cut and every track that wasn't class A standard didn't make it in the game.
So now there is a huge scale that isn't clearly defined: What is class A in their opinion, when are they ok with something?
Basically I don't see any changes to tracks coming after launch. What they are shipping next week is the final game and if we are lucky we will get a few tracks for $30 in early 2014. And tbh, I don't see a track pass or even a track pack happening atm, it takes so much work to redo a track and everything on that side of content is probably already asigned to FM6.
You don't ship a track and then bring an update later that only a minor group of people will notice.

Pug

Just seen and played Forza 5 for the first time on the Xbox road tour in Cardiff. First up I thought the game looked superb, its a big visual change from 4 for me. It was the leguna circuit so probably an old build but i didn't see any glaring graphical issues bar a tiny amount of shimmering. Seriously I thought it was a graphical tour de force as did most people i talked to. nd the feedback in the triggers added the extra feed back as the car began to lose grip. Cant wait for the full game now.

Daffy Duck

If I hadn't read the previous Forza thread, I would've assumed that the old wheels would still work over USB, because I still can't see a reason why their wouldn't. Just like the Logitech PS2 wheels still worked on the PS3 and Gran Turismo.

MS changed the certificate for peripherals as the old one on 360 got cracked.

It would be madness for any developer to make such high profile false claims these days - they are so quickly and easily disproved. That's why I think there's probably a more innocent explanation. Misquoting, misinterpretation or simple semantics, perhaps?

Some clarification from Turn 10 would be most welcome.

Helios?

Maybe they were misquoted but in my eyes they've deliberately tried to mislead before way back when mentioning laser scanning Spa and redoing Laguna. The way it was written never sat right with me.

Still looking forward to Friday, I just wish they were more upfront with details, it doesn't inspire confidence when videos like the recent RA drop so close to launch.

Being upfront about things is always the best COA. Dan confirmed no night/weather, people bitched and moved on. Trying to mislead your audience only leads to backlash.

Being upfront about things is always the best COA. Dan confirmed no night/weather, people bitched and moved on. Trying to mislead your audience only leads to backlash.

Yeah that was a good move, killed rumours and speculation early unlike the lead up to F3.

The new physics and a redone surface may breathe life into the old circuits but I don't know if it's enough to shake off the feeling of familiarity.

G Rom

Who ordered the LE? :D

Me, everything is fully paid. I just have to come pick up my Xbox One and Forza at midnight next week !
It'll be Forza, FIFA and KI free version for a start, not bad. I'll most likely buy/download Ryse later too.
I'll be sure to post some Forza photos as soon as I can ! :)

saladine1

So, not all of our tracks are laser-scanned but most are. Some of them are pretty up to date with our old methodology, but we still wanted to update them so we went back to the old reference where we'd captured new reference so we could reskin, add the deformation, add the imperfections. But tracks like Silverstone were completely rescanned. Obviously new tracks like Bathurst and Spa [Francorchamps] and Yas Marina, these were laser-scanned with the new rig.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/66249/features/forza-5-turn-10-on-next-gen-physics-and-beating-the-launch-game-curse/?page=3

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i don't know if its dan, or who is to blame, but the blatant lies need to fucking stop. i love your game, despite its flaws. you don't need to "enhance" what you are actually bringing to the table - its insulting to our intelligence.

ShapeGSX

I'm downloading Forza. I want to make sure I can switch to the game and accept invites without having to put in the disc.

op_ivy

I'm downloading Forza. I want to make sure I can switch to the game and accept invites without having to put in the disc.

i thought of this, but ultimately went with the disc because i wouldnt have the patience to download it when i first hook up the system. the fact that the disc has to be in the tray is a bit of a non-issue - i cant imagine it will out of the system much for quite a long time.

flashmouth

Neo Member
I did both.
Traded my FIFA 14 day 1 code for Forza 5, but also preordered the LE. I'm gonna install from LE disc so I won't have to wait for download, and redeem the codes, but than use my download licence and sell the LE steelbook an stuff.

This will be my most played game by far and I don't want to switch discs for it everytime.

Mascot

I did both.
Traded my FIFA 14 day 1 code for Forza 5, but also preordered the LE. I'm gonna install from LE disc so I won't have to wait for download, and redeem the codes, but than use my download licence and sell the LE steelbook an stuff.

This will be my most played game by far and I don't want to switch discs for it everytime.
Christ, TWO copies? I hope it's worth it.

I dunno, Dan's not entirely a PR robot, I cringe when he turns salesman but someone up there is pushing for progression and good things and I'd like to believe it's him.

There's an equal force be it time, budget, creative talent or superiors who are hell bent on total blandification of the franchise too.

op_ivy

shit. my 11 month old son's favorite pass time is walking up to our tv and turning it off when its on. glowing blue lights are so attractive to small children. apparently all this off-on-off-on action may have finally done the set in. no 51" forza. not for a while anyway.

:(

G Rom

forza 1 had no special edition, so I have two original forza copies so they stack up in size with the rest of them.. ;)

It did, it just wasn't released in the US. ;)
It had a second DVD with trailers, interview, etc...

151013032-xbox-forza-motorsport-limited-edition.jpg

I also thought about going digital with Forza but like others, I couldn't wait for it to download. Also, dat Forzavista 787b...

Did it release in the UK?

I didn't pay a lot of attention to Forza back then (got the budget label copy) LCEs pop up in game and pawn shops all the time but never that one.

p3tran

Banned
It did, it just wasn't released in the US. ;)
It had a second DVD with trailers, interview, etc...

151013032-xbox-forza-motorsport-limited-edition.jpg

I also thought about going digital with Forza but like others, I couldn't wait for it to download. Also, dat Forzavista 787b...

holly shit!! news to me!
well it wasnt released in my country too, and technically this is europe :D
so, it appears my collection is not complete

shit. my 11 month old son's favorite pass time is walking up to our tv and turning it off when its on. glowing blue lights are so attractive to small children. apparently all this off-on-off-on action may have finally done the set in. no 51" forza. not for a while anyway.

:(
dude, find a tv technician that is close to you. maybe its just the fuse that handles the on-off switch or something ;)

Forza 5 is the first forza I have to skip at launch :( also the first non LE version I will have outside of forza 1, unless there is plenty floating around months after launch.

I remember seeing a video a few years ago filmed around the time of making Forza 2, little tour around the old studio and some interviews...might have been Che doing it but could be wrong.

Anyone got a link?

Mascot

I remember seeing a video a few years ago filmed around the time of making Forza 2, little tour around the old studio and some interviews...might have been Che doing it but could be wrong.

Anyone got a link?
I remember that one too. Dan had a waist-length mullet with blonde highlights and wore a grey fleck suit jacket with the sleeves rolled up and a brooch on the lapel. Kept calling everyone "dude" too.

Make sure you post a link if you find it.

Top Bottom