• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

- Kotaku is an extremely shitty website that thrives on clickbait/linkbait. NeoGAF originally made the right call in censoring it. This site is poorer for reversing that. If you click on an article, they win and you lose by default. If you discuss their articles unironically, then you really lose. The only way to win is to ignore them.

I've really been feeling this way about the site for the past few months now. Stephen Totilo and the Jason guy come off as either complete morons or just so hungry for a story that they'll create any sort of clickbait. The only redeeming factor of that site is Mike Fahey; he often gets ridiculed for his Snacktaku, toy obsession, or just general man-childishness but I enjoy that since he's not taking himself as such of a serious gaming journalist as some of the others on the site do.

lem0n

Bayonetta, The Last of Us, and Spelunky are all games I tried and didn't like. GAF sweethearts are just not for me.

Also, haven't played Persona 4 Golden, but I have no interest in that stupid Japanese style

casabolg

Banned
Accusations of sexism towards the amount of games that are focused on interesting one group over another show a severe lacking of understanding what sexism is and only end up devaluing the term and the stigma around it.

Vayne is the best Final Fantasy villain in terms of characterization. Ultimecia is the best one in terms of things accomplished.

Left 4 Dead is an awful franchise.

Psycho Mantis would be an entirely forgettable boss fight if not for his memory card reading.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment > Persona 2: Innocent Sin > Persona 3 and 4

inm8num2

Kickstarter is a scam.

Heh, we know that. Those spineless pricks actually changed their ToS to suit a woman's openly fraudulent project (give me money for my kid's camp). Then you have Penny Arcade's "we need $10 for a podcast" misuse of kickstarter purely as a preorder store.

I haven't supported anything on KS since Torment: Tides of Numenera. Didn't support many projects before that, but if something comes along that I do want to fund I'll likely look to do it directly to the developer outside of KS.

danmaku

The hatred for "FMV games" is ridiculous. It was a relatively short-lived phase of games that, like any other, had good and bad products come out of it. There were some great games that used FMV - Gabriel Knight 2, Tex Murphy series, Wing Commander 3-5, etc.

One could easily point at the 256-color era and say it was shit because there were a lot of bad games. Or you could say the era of 3D gaming is shit because there have been many bad games.

The term "FMV games" usually refers to games like Night Trap, that are nothing but FMV. The games you mentioned are standard games that use FMV in cutscenes instead of text or CG.

inm8num2

The term "FMV games" usually refers to games like Night Trap, that are nothing but FMV. The games you mentioned are standard games that use FMV in cutscenes instead of text or CG.

People use "FMV games" to describe games, of which most were adventures, that used live actors for cutscenes and/or gameplay.

Indie games should be on mobile platforms only and the ps4 should have launched in the fall of this year with infamous, Driveclub, uncharted, tlou definitive edition, and other AAA 1st party titles. Ps4 isn't worth having right now and honestly it's a waste of money.
Like a dummy I bought one smh

People on GAF (and outside GAF) are far too negative about everything. Not to say you can't have criticism about games, it's just that i often see thread about "the worst, bad, horrible" games that aren't really bad. They just don't resonate with this person in particular.

People on internet tries too much to be intellectual with higher than thou attitudes when their arguments aren't exactly clever or different than others.

having said that, i hate everyone and everything.

that's a fucking irrational and completely ignorant thing to say

Irrational and ignorant?... No!...not at all. Is my opinion controversial?... probably, but isn't this the space for such things. (1) I support indie devs (2) My rationale is based on the fact that tech has evolved to a point where consoles/PC's should be the showcase platform for established devs. Mobile gaming is a thing and IMO the perfect platform for games that are TYPICALLY produced by indie devs. It's a personal thing, but I've never bought (or at least I can't remember doing so) an arcade indie game on psn or xbl...on my phones...HELL YEAH! I get this feeling of being cheated playing indie games on my consoles, but I love passing the time when I'm in a line, at the doctors office, or riding passenger playing indie titles on my phones or tablet.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Irrational and ignorant?... No!...not at all. Is my opinion controversial?... probably, but isn't this the space for such things. (1) I support indie devs (2) My rationale is based on the fact that tech has evolved to a point where consoles/PC's should be the showcase platform for established devs. Mobile gaming is a thing and IMO the perfect platform for games that are TYPICALLY produced by indie devs. It's a personal thing, but I've never bought (or at least I can't remember doing so) an arcade indie game on psn or xbl...on my phones...HELL YEAH! I get this feeling of being cheated playing indie games on my consoles, but I love passing the time when I'm in a line, at the doctors office, or riding passenger playing indie titles on my phones or tablet.

Oh man...this thread is amazing.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Multiplayer is boring. When I'm with friends I prefer swapping controllers over a wonderful single player game than play multiplayer.

Super Smash brothers brawl is better then melee because it's a better party game with more characters, items, levels and madness. Tripping is only important to nerds

Number_6

Pretty sure you can't use "fact" and "should" in the same sentence. Lol.

OH! Remembered another one:

7. I don't understand why people are getting mad at Ken Levine for Bioshock Infinite, he's been lying and hyping up his games since Bioshock 1; it's just that nobody noticed. I only bought Bioshock 1 because I thought it'd be a super open free roam FPS RPG (or "Oblivion under water" as he called it).

OH! Remembered another one:

7. I don't understand why people are getting mad at Ken Levine for Bioshock Infinite, he's been lying and hyping up his games since Bioshock 1; it's just that nobody noticed. I only bought Bioshock 1 because I thought it'd be a super open free roam FPS RPG (or "Oblivion under water" as he called it).

Because people forget everything and even here on GAF you hear people believing everything a PR-person says.

Hip Hop

I don't mind programs like Uplay and Origin. They really don't bother me at all.

In fact, I'm kinda bummed GFWL is going away. Having the Xbox overlay and achievements on my PC games was great. Really hope they come back with something else.

hesido

I jumped through the several pages, and aside from one page, there wasn't any page without a banned user (I was skipping pages allright, but almost every page contained a banned user, starting from the first post guy.)

MathGAF, please tell me whether this is statistically significant!

My controversial opinion:
Little Big Planet is held back so BADLY by Media Molecule's fear of people sharing paid stickers that they prohibit several useful content creation methods. Their fear extends to people perfectly replicating pixel art of games, and this leads to them going great lengths to ignore all requests so they never allow grid based capture, or use of grid in their move enabled paint app. Their sticker share fear also leads to not providing proper alpha transparency in capture.

TLDR; LittleBigPlanet is held back by none other than Media Molecule itself for the wrong reasons.

I honestly hate every Nintendo franchise Mario, Zelda, metroid pikman.

I try every time to enjoy some part of them I have a Wii-u and own all the games but only to play them with my wife other than that I`m bored to tears from all of them and really really dislike the art style and game play in everyone of them.

I`m now off to play more pikman 3 hopefully drinking liters of whiskey might make it a bit more palatable.
"Whats that? I have to collect more juice in you baby babble voice fucking awesome!! Cant wait!"

- I am of the impression that gears of war is the worst franchise of last generation

I'm going to assume you didn't play very many franchises then? While I can understand why someone wouldn't be a fan of the series and its gameplay, the game was functionally very sound and a graphical powerhouse for most of the generation. I am not a fan of the series myself, I thought the game was a boiled down "bro-shooter", but they were much better than a lot of the other franchise games that were churned out the past eight years. /my2cents

My personal "controversial" gaming opinions would be:

-Halo 4 was the best overall Halo since the original. While the single player was kind of a wash if you didn't follow out-of-game canon, but I took it to be a game that picks up where Halo 3 left off. It had been years since the Chief was awake, let alone in combat and knowing what was happening. The Didact storyline was just an introduction to the new "saga", so I will give them a pass with all the confusion. Overall the campaign was much better storytelling than Halo 2 and Halo 3. The online, while frustrating that they seemed to have followed the CoD crowd, was fantastic for all the changes they did make. I played more Halo 4 online than Halo 3 and Reach and nearly as much as I played Halo 2. I do want them to return to the classic Halo multiplayer formula though. There will never be a Halo experience that can successfully adopt newcomers without breaking the foundation of what makes Halo different than every other modern shooter, so 343i should stop changing what wasn't broken. They should focus on on-disc map count, more balanced matchmaking so new players aren't mismatched, graphics, weapon balancing, playlist tuning, player feedback loops, more robust coop experiences and an enthralling campaign that takes our breath away. I also think that Forge is a joke and they should take it out in favor of more on-disc maps.

-Mario should be excused from having yearly installments as long as they go from 2D to 3D every year. Though the spinoff games ala Party, Kart, Tennis, Baseball, etc... should be rebranded as Nintendo products (think Nintendo Baseball, Nintendo Party, so on...) as to not diminish the Mario name and the excitement that really should be following a mainline Mario announcement and release.

-There should be a company that facilitates sharing of resources between all developers that pay into the system so that when simple in game models are made they can be shared across all participating developers present and future. Think about how much time must go into designing and modeling something as simple as a vase or table. Now imagine that there was a collection of high polygon models that had already been made and were shared among all participating developers so that they could just take that model, scale the model to fit their game design and not have to take that extra time to make the object themselves. This would also likely result in higher detailed models for what would normally be background items that developers have less time to tinker with and perfect. We could have GTA games every other or every third year instead of every five. Honestly, this isn't too controversial, I'm surprised an indie developer consortium hasn't banded together to do something like this for the "little guy". Of course there would be a period of growing pains, but after a few years something like this would result in huge benefit to all developers, especially the "AAA" crowd.

-I would be perfectly fine with microtransactions bleeding into console games as long as it doesn't alter the design of the game it is in. Forza 5 was the wrong way to implement it, Ryse and Halo: Spartan Assault had it pretty close to right in my mind. I would be even happier if visual personalization monetization took the place of paying for new maps and other similar content. At some point developers have to realize that cultivating your fanbase with loyalty inducing actions will get greater return than milking a fanbase until it is dry. 343i may be able to generate money from the Halo fanbase for another decade, but how much return will they really get with actions like their recent tirade on brand loyalty that was Halo 4? At what point is it okay to Microsoft to open a studio and run a franchise into the ground only to soon after close the studio for running said franchise into the ground. I find it ironic that Microsoft closed Ensemble for only ever making one type of game, but they go out of their way to put 343i together to work on nothing but Halo (seemingly). Whatever, this post has gone from controversy to rambling and I apologize for that.

Oriel

I find it very hard to enjoy games that are more than a decade old.

A shame. You're missing out on some truly stunning games from the 90's and early 2000's. FFVI through to X, Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, Chrono Trigger, Zelda: Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, to name but a tiny few. Oh and my own personal favourite from when I were a kid, Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't judge you, but out of curiosity, why? Graphics? Gameplay? Something else?

Both. I love many older games, but most titles from before the N64 era are difficult to appreciate. A Link to the Past and Civilization II are definitely fun, but when I play them I realize that I would rather be playing Skyrim or Europa Universalis. I can certainly appreciate the talent involved in the making of so many retro games, but I have trouble finding the fun, sometimes.

A shame. You're missing out on some truly stunning games from the 90's and early 2000's. FFVI through to X, Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, Chrono Trigger, Zelda: Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, to name but a tiny few. Oh and my own personal favourite from when I were a kid, Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

I really enjoy Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past. But I'm not always able to enjoy other games from that time or before, especially JRPGs. Also, I said that I have trouble appreciating games that are more than a decade old, but I only really have difficult enjoying games that are 15-20 years old.

Weilthain

Banned
Not that controversial, but I enjoy sunshine more than 64, and 3d land/world more than the galaxy games

sofNq3u.gif

qq more

That doesn't make sense. You're assuming that every single Indie game are mobile-like experiences. Also I'm sure there's plenty that wouldn't play well with touch-only controls. (yes I know about gamepad support but not everyone has one or are willing to get one)

Not shitting on mobile gaming since I've recently got into Android gaming by the way.

qq more

You are awesome! :D

daevv

I wanted The Last of Us to be more run and gun like Uncharted when it came to combat (Remember the zombies like enemies from Uncharted 1?). Didn't care for stealth, shanks, and being 1 hit killed by flower zombies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I played MGS4 recently. I thought it was a terrible game, and I very highly doubt i'm the only one who thinks that way.

Posthuman

Neo Member
The idea that a game can rely on a developed narrative alone is an increasingly popular opinion, and I disagree with it with every bone in my body. A quality narrative can make a good game better, but it cannot make a bad game good. Furthermore, many of gaming's narratives hailed as "great stories" aren't very good to begin with; i.e. the Bioshock games, the Grand Theft Auto titles, most JRPGs, etc. A very small number of video game narratives can even be mentioned in the same context as the great works of film and literature, and even if those narratives are well-developed if isolated from the products they are present in, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are good video game narratives (A "good video game narrative" being one where the narrative is seamlessly blended in to the game mechanics and/or the content that the player can interact with; look to Deus Ex's choice and consequence for the former, and the subtle, minimal-cutscene lore of Demon's/Dark Souls for the latter).

ledman

There are always great indie games and their existence make the video game world richer but some people seem the indie genre as a label for quality, that's not true, indie games are not better by nature in comparision to games published by EA or Activision just beacuse they are indie.
I say this because some people tend to overlook and overeact to game flaws according to their prejudices.

Battlefield art style is horrendous.
The Witcher 2 graphics are overrated so as Dishonored (ugly textures).
GTA V on PC will be the most gorgeous game to date.

I just can't see PC coufy cough game expading beyond the most hardcore PC gamers even with Steambox, but I still believe PC gaming will continue to growth in notebooks and moderataly on normal desktops.

qq more

There are always great indie games and their existence make the video game world richer but some people seem the indie genre as a label for quality, that's not true, indie games are not better by nature in comparision to games published by EA or Activision just beacuse they are indie.
I say this beacause some people tend to overlook and overeact to game flaws according to their prejudices.

I agree. I don't understand the hate on indie games, there's a large variety of them.

Top Bottom