• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD: Modern Warfare 3 Coming to Wii

Jin34

The only hope for certain devs is since they already put in the work to code for the wiimote it would be a simple matter to support them in the Wii U.

fernoca

Plus the Wii Remote is required for local multiplayer on Wii U (local multi with more than 1 controller at least, not the pass your controller kind of games); so it's more than just an accessory.

Mael

StevieP said:
Because developers give a shit about peripherals (see: Move)

Of course they will. But developers see a nice tasty dual-analog tablet, and to top it off it's the "default" controller. So games will be built around it. That Ubisoft alien game uses the Upad's accelerometer to control the reticle, for instance. *pukes*
Totally agreed, hence why I said to support Wii projects and dismiss every thing WiiU. Let's hope they get the hint.

fernoca said:
Plus the Wii Remote is required for local multiplayer on Wii U (local multi with more than 1 controller at least, not the pass your controller kind of games); so it's more than just an accessory.

Because there's so many splitscreen fps being released...

fernoca

Mael said:
Because there's so many splitscreen fps being released...
Well, the "usual suspects" might get released (like next year's Call of Duty, etc.) ; unless they just remove local multiplayer all together. Still, the point was in general: Considering that one of the advertised points of the Wii U is the use of the Wii Remote for local multiplayer games; is not really impossible to think that developers might add support for it in most of the games. Of course, it always depends on them; unless Nintendo decides to force them.

It will also depend if they include a Wii Remote and a sensor bar on the box.

User33 said:
Didn't you say you own a "barely used" 360 in another topic? Why the fuck wouldn't you buy it for that?

Nintendo fanboys baffle me sometimes.

Pointer controls are more accurate & more fun to play.

The online is generally not filled with as many asshats.

Jin34

User33 said:
Didn't you say you own a "barely used" 360 in another topic? Why the fuck wouldn't you buy it for that?

Maybe he likes the better controlling version over the better looking one, crazy notion to some I know.

StevieP

Banned
User33 said:

"Dual analog fanboys baffle me sometimes"

When a control scheme needs hefty amounts of autoaim to function, it's broken.

Stitch

Gold Member
I have a Wii, a PC and a 360. When my PC was broken I've rented Modern Warfare and World at War and played them on the Wii... good controls are more important than graphics. And the COD games aren't really pretty anyways :p

Boerseun

Banned
User33 said:

I know you're not replying to me, but I can relate to what AbsoluteZero posted.

I bought CoD 3, 4 and 5 on Wii despite owning a Ps3 (and for a time a Xbox 360). The only CoD episode I own for the Ps3 is CoD 6 i.e. Modern Warfare 2, and it only served to remind me how much I had become accustomed to the Wii controls, which as any Wii owner will tell you is simply fantastic for first person shooters.

CoD 7 i.e. Black Ops I bought on PC; this version is a complete mess, and I regret wasting money on it just about every single day. At some point I will pick up the Wii version of Black Ops, and will likely pick up the Wii version of Modern Warfare 3 when that releases.

Regarding Move, I'm not sure if MW3 on Ps3 will support it, but as already noted in this thread, for all the hype, I've found Move to be superior to the plain Wii Remote in only one aspect, that being its ability to more effectively recognise small motions (Wii Motion Plus and/or a good developer makes this a moot point though). When your dealing with first person shooters, which is what most people are buying Move for (or so it would appear), it still lags far behind Nintendo's controller. And gameplay will always trump graphics, in my opinion.

Jin34

The only problem with the pointer is it takes getting used too just like everything new, and doing so after having played a plethora of dual-analog shooters makes it even harder. I remember when I first played Halo:CE and the dual analog controls had my character moving around like a chicken with it's head cut off. I changed the controls to GoldenEye/Perfect Dark mode since that was what I knew after playing them so much. It took me a while to adjust and see it was clearly superior to the GoldenEye way and that is the same problem people have with pointers made worse since the first games that used them were shit (Red Steel). Halo did them right from the start and everyone had to learn dual analog or get out, with pointers it remained a niche since 3rd parties ignored the Wii.

I'm sure most devs will ignore pointer controls on Wii U, even though the Wiimote is compatible. But I hope that because CoD already has them programmed, that the Wii U versions will have them because it's really not much work to bring them over. I always said that if the PS3 versions supported Move, then they'd be definitively the best versions.

MYE

User33 said:

Nintendo fanboys baffle me sometimes

Really?
I mean, really?

StevieP

Banned
Freezie KO said:
I'm sure most devs will ignore pointer controls on Wii U, even though the Wiimote is compatible. But I hope that because CoD already has them programmed, that the Wii U versions will have them because it's really not much work to bring them over. I always said that if the PS3 versions supported Move, then they'd be definitively the best versions.

I agree with your first point. Unless Nintendo is smart enough to put the Wii Remote + in the box (it only costs them like $5 to make... though now with a lower price target thanks to the 3DS fuckup they might not include it) :(

However, to your second point...

The Move pointer is reliant on accelerometer data. So while it is superior to dual-analog in every way still - it is not quite as good as the infrared triangulation the Wii uses.

If you would like examples of accelerometer driven pointers, you can see how that WiiU Ubisoft shooter controls. Actually, better yet - the most recent example that illustrates the difference between an infrared-driven pointer and an accelerometer-driven pointer is Wii Play / Wii Play Motion.

Pull out your copy of Wii Play and play the "duck hunt" style shooting game (you know, the one with balloons and UFOs and shit). This uses infrared.

Pull out your Wii Remote + and go rent/Gamefly/Ebay/etc etc a copy of Wii Play Motion. They have a new version of that duck-hunt-style shooting gallery game, based entirely on Motion Plus accelerometers (aka Move). I have a feeling you may find it frustrating in comparison to the more direct control of the pointer with the original Wii Play.

It's still way more accurate than Dual-Analog, but it is definitely prone to drift/misreads and requires more "cursor smoothing" and such. Not as accurate, either.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
StevieP said:
They have a new version of that duck-hunt-style shooting gallery game, based entirely on Motion Plus accelerometers (aka Move).
...Why did they do that? It probably took quite some time to properly read and convert the motion data into pointing, why not use the simpler, better, more reliable method?

Vasili2K38

Boerseun said:
When your dealing with first person shooters, which is what most people are buying Move for (or so it would appear), it still lags far behind Nintendo's controller

You're actually played a Move game, KZ3 for example? IMO in terms of lag with Wii FPS is very similar, maybe it actually lags a little in comparison, but to say that lags far behind..

StevieP

Banned
Alextended said:
...Why did they do that? It probably took quite some time to properly read and convert the motion data into pointing, why not use the simpler, better, more reliable method?

Shits and giggles? "This is what Motionplus accelerometer data can do"?

You're actually played a Move game, KZ3 for example? IMO in terms of lag with Wii FPS is very similar, maybe it actually lags a little in comparison, but to say that lags far behind..

The move cursor is more prone to drift and "falling off" the correct plane due to its reliance of accelerometers.

sorry to bump old topic but was there any screen or trailer released or any info. I can not wait for this I played blops on wii too much and loved it. Wii remote + nunchuk is only way i can play fps i have never played using standard controller so i eagerly await. I am so scared for wii-U because of this.

crazy monkey said:
sorry to bump old topic but was there any screen or trailer released or any info. I can not wait for this I played blops on wii too much and loved it. Wii remote + nunchuk is only way i can play fps i have never played using standard controller so i eagerly await. I am so scared for wii-U because of this.

If it's anything like previous CoD releases on Wii, we'll get the first trailers and pics after the game releases, and then only from gamers uploading to YouTube or taking cam pics of the screenshots on the back of the game case. Check previous threads if you think I'm kidding...

Cipherr

crazy monkey said:

Yeah I wouldn't bet on much being shown for the Wii version. They only bother porting them because they somehow still sell a million or so per game. But they dont push or market them much at all.

Boerseun

Banned
I put in my pre-order for the PAL Wii version this afternoon. I'm anticipating a horrible single-player campaign and awesome multiplayer. :) Who's joining me?

Veal

Is this going to end up like BLOPS and Modern Warfare where the only media we'll get is from fans after it releases? I thought sales from the last two games would give them incentive to try to get the Wii fanbase interested in the game. I guess not.

Why is this a thread? Shouldn't this just be just wrapped up into the CoDMW3 OT? Call of Duty games have been coming to the Wii since its launch

Levyne

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Why is this a thread? Call of Duty games have been coming to the Wii since it's release.

Because for the Infinity Ward CoD games, MW1 took months to come out on Wii and MW2 on Wii is still MIA. Right?

So change of pace (the fact that an Infinity Ward CoD game is having a simultaneous PS360/Wii release) = new thread?

Thank you for bump. I will be playing mw3 on wii too. They should have released atleast one video of it or atleast one article regarding this. It is such a sad situation. I am sure the other COD sold well on wii too still treated like dog. :( Playing fps with wii remote is the one of the best experience of playing fps

in blops people change there stats now on wii. I do not mind. I have not come across many cheaters though so i am fine

Ydahs

AbsoluteZero said:
Why is this a thread? Shouldn't this just be just wrapped up into the CoDMW3 OT? Call of Duty games have been coming to the Wii since its launch
Uhh, this thread is a couple months old (you posted in it too).

FoneBone

AbsoluteZero said:
...you do realize that the Wii version wasn't announced at the same time as the others, and therefore its confirmation was in fact threadworthy?

Since my XBL Gold is running out now, and I have no intention on getting it renewed, and am holding off on BF3 for this year I decided to get MW3 for Wii.
I simply love the precision, speed and comfort of IR aiming too much, and since Treyarch has a fantastic track record of pushing the Wii and online features on Wii I'm going to bite.

I know that the graphics will bug me at times, but whatever.

Is there any information how many features of the other versions are going to be translated to the Wii version? I don't expect DLC but hopufully most MP levels and weapons will carry over.

Ydahs said:
Uhh, this thread is a couple months old (you posted in it too).

I know, but I'm just realizing that this isn't entirely surprising news.

FoneBone said:
...you do realize that the Wii version wasn't announced at the same time as the others, and therefore its confirmation was in fact threadworthy?

That I did not know.

fernoca

AbsoluteZero said:
That I did not know.
Yep, this is the first Modern Warfare that will be released on the Wii; the same day as the others. MW1 was released the same day as MW2 on the others; and MW2 was never released on Wii.

So, MW3 wasn't expected, but a shot of a branded headset and an a confirmation just made it official.

Though release is next week, and there's no single screenshot or even information about it.
Treyarch's doing it, so in the worst case scenario it will be as good as Black Ops on Wii, which was great and even allowed to be patched.

StevieP

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
I'm fairly certain almost every Call of Duty title on the Wii outside of CoD3 had online play.

Correct. And it's always mostly intact from the other peer-to-peer matchmaking console versions (aside from memory-constrained stuff like chopper gunner).

in hands of treyarch, its b effort guarenteed

They're not that bad. In fact they put a solid effort on the wii titles.

Will it use Wii Remote Plus? So few games use it.

You don't really need motion+ for a melee shake, to be honest. The pointer is unchanged from one iteration to the other, either.

luoapp

matics said:
Yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Wut, Have you guys played any of the previous CoD Wii games? If anything, treyarch has been doing a commendable job porting CoD games to wii.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah, they're games designed for much more powerful platforms and for which other teams (IW) claimed ports would be impossible. Treyarch has done a pretty incredible job porting them with few missteps. Of course they don't look as good as something designed exclusively for Wii since they're all reduced and scaled down assets rather than content made for that specification to begin with but that is not up to them, nobody would give them another full game's worth of budget, since that's what it would take to remake everything for Wii. And it's much better to get a port of the real deal than to get some low budget spin off type game that misses the mark in every area.

«þ»

I had an absolute blast playing Black Ops on Wii, and am looking forward to this.

I would be quite surprised if most of the 'detractors' have actually played a Wii CoD, at most they probably a look at the graphics and that was it.

Effect

It still makes me smile that Treyarch made IW looks foolish at best and liars at worse when they ported over Modern Warfare 1 as Modern Warfare Reflex with just a handful of people as well last I heard. Treyarch has done a wonderful job with Call of Duty on the Wii considering it's limitations compared to the other systems. Black Ops is really fun and I actually prefer playing the Wii version over the PC version to be honest.

Alextended said:
Yeah, they're games designed for much more powerful platforms and for which other teams (IW) claimed ports would be impossible. Treyarch has done a pretty incredible job porting them with few missteps. Of course they don't look as good as something designed exclusively for Wii since they're all reduced and scaled down assets rather than content made for that specification to begin with but that is not up to them, nobody would give them another full game's worth of budget, since that's what it would take to remake everything for Wii. And it's much better to get a port of the real deal than to get some low budget spin off type game that misses the mark in every area.
Call of Duty rail shooter for Wii, with drop-in drop-out co-op play!

Effect

Lone_Prodigy said:
Call of Duty rail shooter for Wii, with drop-in drop-out co-op play!

Which is what Ubisoft did with Ghost Recon last year (or early this year?) I believe. *shakes head*

As for the need for this thread. Any Wii talk will just get buried in the regular OT and that's the best outcome I think. The Wii version will lack certain things and I thought it was said it would be different somehow. It kinda would have to be, at least single player wise since the Wii never got MW2 and Treyarch is just handling this version. What I've been curious about is how they are porting it. Is it a straight port (mess with the engine IW is using now) or did they put the game into the engine they used for the Wii versin of Black Ops? How it looks is something else I wonder about. The quality of the Wii Black Ops changed for the better the farther you go in the game. The first few levels for example were rough looking but the game looked better as you went on. You can see the difference between the first half of the prison break in mission 2 and when the game loads up the second half of it. I would assume they can tweak that engine even more now.

Top Bottom