• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Mike Works said:
I love how the old thread was a lot of fun, waiting for and dissecting trailers, discussing posse's, and then the moment the official thread hits, it all just turns to utter shit. Complaining about sub-HD levels, pre order bonuses, links streams posting spoilers, etc.

Hopefully I'll see some of you dudes online, because I am peacing the fuck out of here.
Dont read the last 10 pages and you will see that most of us are still excited about the game...ignore the haters.

ShockingAlberto said:
360 version is using Gamespy, too?

Ugh. Ugh.

I really wanted to play this online but this is equivalent of taking the online mode out.
Has anyone given any impressions of how online works yet? Probably won't be too bad.

Edit: Beat.

Druz

xxracerxx said:
Dont read the last 10 pages and you will see that most of us are still excited about the game...ignore the haters.

Don't ignore the haters. Why must people be confined to a fap fest just to meet their own expectations? The "haters" if anything bring the game back down to reality. Retarded hype is retarded hype.

Afrikan

MercuryLS

Banned
JambiBum said:
Not confirmed. Calm yourself sir.

It pretty much is, I checked the back of GTAIV's box to see if maybe they included Gamespy legal info cause they're obligated to. Nope, nothing there. Some part of the 360 version is running on Gamespy, who knows how much.

MercuryLS

Banned
Afrikan said:
here is one for $5.99
http://www.dascheap.com/ps2-playstation-2-logitech-usb-headset-also-ps3-compatible.html

sorry about that extra 99 cents....you might have to get a second job :p

but seriously, I'm sure if you keep searching you can find cheaper ones...most plug and play usb headsets.......I bet electronic stores have some old PC/PS2 ones they have stashed somewhere on clearance..

Who in the hell wants to be tethered to the console like that? I always laugh when people suggest USB headsets for the PS3, it that thing plugged into the controller it'd be a different story.

MercuryLS said:
Who in the hell wants to be tethered to the console like that? I always laugh when people suggest USB headsets for the PS3, it that thing plugged into the controller it'd be a different story.

Right now I sit kind of close to my TV so it wouldn't bother me too much.

However I would love for one that connected to the PS3 controller instead, just like the 360's. Does no one make those? Seems like Sony is missing on an opportunity to offer a cheap headset that is essentially wireless through it's controller.

Concept17

This game looks fantastic. They nailed the setting. But I've lived in Montana for most my life, and all I see whenever I see new shots of this game is Montana and its holding me back from having any desire to play the game. =(

Magnus

For the record, I feel like a complete twat having both versions of the game and alternating between the two to try and compare things. :lol

I'm not as wonderful a nitpicker as so many of you, but at first glance, both games are really quite on par.

First initial impressions are that the 360 image is definitely brighter and consequently has a slightly washed out look by comparison, but conversely, the PS3's image is a little too dark in dark scenes. This is kind of par for the course with a lot of multiplatform games I've found, especially GTA4.

I could swear the pop issues are a little worse on the 360, but I mean, I might have just been racing the horse too fast at those moments when I noticed things, or whatever.

The audio seems somehow richer on the PS3 version. It's like there's a bit more bass and power to every sound effect and the dialogue.

To any normal human being :)lol ) the framerates are fucking equal. I haven't stress tested it yet, but I shall shortly.

Really, they're both excellent. Are there are any specific things people want me to compare?

I have the 360 running at 1080i through component and the PS3 running at 720p through HDMI.

Also, funny story, first thing I did when I had liberty to roam in the 360 version was race out of town, and shoot the first passing rider I saw. He fell off his horse, foot still stuck in the stirrup, and the horse bolted, dragging him by one leg for half a mile before the body fell off! :lol :lol :lol

MercuryLS

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
Right now I sit kind of close to my TV so it wouldn't bother me too much.

However I would love for one that connected to the PS3 controller instead, just like the 360's. Does no one make those? Seems like Sony is missing on an opportunity to offer a cheap headset that is essentially wireless through it's controller.

Yeah I always wondered why they never offered a mini-usb headset, seems like it'd make sense.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Magnus said:
First initial impressions are that the 360 image is definitely brighter and consequently has a slightly washed out look by comparison, but conversely, the PS3's image is a little too dark in dark scenes. This is kind of par for the course with a lot of multiplatform games I've found, especially GTA4.

couldn't this be cause be different video settings on the respective consoles?

TreyoftheDead said:
Pretty sure there are, as you can go into towns and shoot them up to get the law after you.

I would guess that there are, especially after GTAIV's Free Roam had pedestrians, but I have yet to see any in these RDR Free Roam streams. Kinda weird.

Magnus

Also, where in the fuck do I access the two PS3 exclusives on the PS3 disc? I can't find it in the options menu, outfits, or on the main menu before starting the game. What gives?!

Big Ass Ramp said:

Certainly, yeah. I mean, this is hardly scientific, what I'm doing. :lol

Magnus said:
Also, where in the fuck do I access the two PS3 exclusives on the PS3 disc? I can't find it in the options menu, outfits, or on the main menu before starting the game. What gives?!

IIRC you have to do challenges in-game to unlock the outfit, you don't start out with it. That's how the Deadly Assassain Outfit is from my understanding.

You should see a silhouette of it in the Outfits section though, try to find it there.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Magnus said:
Launch 360s don't have HDMI ports.
Yeah but unfortunately it kinda makes comparisons in that environment a bit moot considering both the visuals and audio will actually be different with those settings.

Big Ass Ramp said:
well the console only sets resolution right? IT won't effect color or saturation of brightness, seriously I'm asking. If the games have the same gamma defaults then it's shouldn't matter is what I'm assuming.

Magnus said:
For the record, I feel like a complete twat having both versions of the game and alternating between the two to try and compare things. :lol

I'm not as wonderful a nitpicker as so many of you, but at first glance, both games are really quite on par.

I could swear the pop issues are a little worse on the 360, but I mean, I might have just been racing the horse too fast at those moments when I noticed things, or whatever.

The audio seems somehow richer on the PS3 version. It's like there's a bit more bass and power to every sound effect and the dialogue.

To any normal human being :)lol ) the framerates are fucking equal. I haven't stress tested it yet, but I shall shortly.

Really, they're both excellent. Are there are any specific things people want me to compare?

I have the 360 running at 1080i through component and the PS3 running at 720p through HDMI.

Also, funny story, first thing I did when I had liberty to roam in the 360 version was race out of town, and shoot the first passing rider I saw. He fell off his horse, foot still stuck in the stirrup, and the horse bolted, dragging him by one leg for half a mile before the body fell off! :lol :lol :lol

I'm getting it on both platforms too...got a friend who's just dying to play online with me but only has a PS3. I want the 360 version, though. Yah, I'm a consumer whore.

DaveH

zero margin said:
Could be just there for legal reasons, could be the social club stuff, could be the entire MP, really too soon to assume anything.
Actually, the opposite. If they put it on and it's not in there that's misappropriation/trademark infringement. If they put it on there and it's not substantively the same as PS3 it's arguably dilution (barring a private contract licensing the mark for this specific and different use).

Big-ass Ramp

Poor Magnus. This is sort of like letting a soccer mom drive a Ferrari then making her describe the experience to car experts. :lol :lol

Big-ass Ramp

BobTheFork said:
well the console only sets resolution right? IT won't effect color or saturation of brightness, seriously I'm asking. If the games have the same gamma defaults then it's shouldn't matter is what I'm assuming.

I think you can change color settings. I think it's more than just resolution, at least.

hlhbk

Magnus said:

So if you could only get one version which one would you get?

Klocker

Magnus, 360 version installed to HDD?

Big Ass Ramp said:
Poor Magnus. This is sort of like letting a soccer mom drive a Ferrari then making her describe the experience to car experts. :lol :lol

true, sorry Magnus :D

Magnus said:
I think the console superiority banshees need to break bread; THIS sentence is the only thing he said that matters. :D

DaveH said:
Actually, the opposite. If they put it on and it's not in there that's misappropriation/trademark infringement. If they put it on there and it's not substantively the same as PS3 it's arguably dilution (barring a private contract licensing the mark for this specific and different use).
oh jeez, stop that nonsense. None of us know the business relationship between gamespy and rstar, that kind of speculation is ridiculous and unwarranted.

Top Bottom