• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't Nintendo making MORE games like Splatoon?

Hiltz

While Splatoon defies genre tropes, it's a game aimed straight at Nintendo's core fan base. It's not a game Nintendo's trying to target older gamers at, but ironically, it wouldn't be all that surprising if older gamers turn out to be bigger fans of Splatoon more so than younger gamers. After all, Splatoon's marketing is going to be aimed at kids even though Nintendo has acknowledged that its focus last year at targeting kids has been ineffective based on the NOA demographic data the company revealed to us. It seems like most Wii U owners are veteran Nintendo fans make up Wii U's shrunken but dedicated fan base.

On another note, some people forget that there's two types of new IPs: Original IPs and Spin-offs. The only difference being that a spin-off has to use an existing character(s). Nintendo has often stuck to making and/or publishing spin-offs, having set up most of its original IPs as its bread and butter franchises back during its two first console generations. Capt Toad is a recent example of a spin-off IP, whereas Splatoon and Code name STEAM are original IPs, but their all new IPs.

AgeEighty

On another note, some people forget that there's two types of new Ips: Original IPs and Spin-offs. The only difference being that a spin-off has to use an existing character(s). Nintendo has often stuck to making and/or publishing spin-offs, having set up most of its original IPs as its bread and butter franchises back during its two first console generations.

Even discounting spin-offs, as has been demonstrated in some of the lists here, Nintendo still has a lot more IPs than just about anybody. There are a smaller subset of them that see regular refreshes, but that's in large part due to the fact that the less-seen IPs didn't sell.

Mesoian

Because of Miyamoto insisting on creating crap like more Pikmin.

1305865316_cute_girls6oudp.gif

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
When some say they want Nintendo to make new games, what they seem to really mean is "I want Nintendo to make me feel like I'm playing The Last of Us, Skyrim, Madden 2015, and Assassin's Creed 6". They want what is currently trendy and popular for their generation.

Nintendo is perpetually unpopular with a certain age range of 16-25 year old player because they generally don't specialize in appealing to that young adult male demographic. It doesn't mean they never, ever make a game that fits that bill. But most of their efforts are spend in appealing to a wider range or aiming to make "universal" games that appeal to people ages 8 to 80.

I've been in this game since the Atari 2600 and seen the same story play out every time. NES kids don't realize it but 20-somethings called the NES a stoopid kids toy that just had that stoopid Mario plastered on everything. A similar crowd said the same thing about the SNES, and the N64, etc etc. These opinions were based primarily on Nintendo's own company image and first-party wares. The only difference in the past was Nintendo had 3rd party support, and a lot of people would buy a Nintendo console and hold their nose at being too close to that dumb kiddy Mario shit to play a range of 3rd party content.

Hiltz

Even discounting spin-offs, as has been demonstrated in some of the lists here, Nintendo still has a lot more IPs than just about anybody. There are a smaller subset of them that see regular refreshes, but that's in large part due to the fact that the less-seen IPs didn't sell.

Yes, I agree with you on that.

AgeEighty

When some say they want Nintendo to make new games, what they seem to really mean is "I want Nintendo to make me feel like I'm playing The Last of Us, Skyrim, Madden 2015, and Assassin's Creed 6". They want what is currently trendy and popular for their generation.

Nintendo is perpetually unpopular with a certain age range of 16-25 year old player because they generally don't specialize in appealing to that young adult male demographic. It doesn't mean they never, ever make a game that fits that bill. But most of their efforts are spend in appealing to a wider range or aiming to make "universal" games that appeal to people ages 8 to 80.

I've been in this game since the Atari 2600 and seen the same story play out every time. NES kids don't realize it but 20-somethings called the NES a stoopid kids toy that just had that stoopid Mario plastered on everything. A similar crowd said the same thing about the SNES, and the N64, etc etc. These opinions were based primarily on Nintendo's own company image and first-party wares. The only difference in the past was Nintendo had 3rd party support, and a lot of people would buy a Nintendo console and hold their nose at being too close to that dumb kiddy Mario shit to play a range of 3rd party content.

You're pretty close to the mark, but I think this is a little bit of revisionist history where the NES is concerned. There really wasn't that much of a console games market among 20+ year olds back in those days. And even if there was, what were the "cooler" alternatives they played instead? PC is all that comes to mind for me.

Even during the 16 bit days, Nintendo still had plenty of cool factor even compared with Sega.

Plus Mario wasn't really plastered all over everything until the 90s.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Moving the goalposts? Yikes, some expressions just get thrown around message boards and that one is hot right now. Do you even know what that expression means? Because asking what AAA console IP they've developed isn't that. Way to dodge the question, though.

Also Xenoblade and W101 were third party title published by Nintendo, not developed. So not sure how either of those titles factor into this discussion...
Your first post in this thread says nothing about AAA budget nor platform. How is that not moving the goalpost?

roknin

Pretty much. Its an ongoing problem they've had forever (though I don't think it was as pronounced during the NES' dominance), that was compounded ten-fold during the Sega v. Nintendo 16-bit battles in the 90s, and has been cemented ever since.

I swear every gen the same thing is recycled, and whenever the "new IP" discussion comes up, that's what gets brought to the table.

That's not to say they couldn't do better on pushing some of their titles. I really wish they'dve thrown more weight behind Wonderful 101 for example, but even that wouldn't guarantee anything.

Sacul64GC

Banned
Like someone else said in this thread: People don't actually want new games, they only think they do. What they actually purchase is more of the same, again, and again, and again. Wall Street doesn't care about the "attention and interest" of gamers; they care about revenue. And when you have a Nintendo Direct that talks about Project STEAM and Splatoon but the big takeaway of most gamers and the media is "ZOMG MAJORA'S MASK REMAKE", well... what lesson do you take from that?

Like it was said on GameExplain when they were at the Codename S.T.E.A.M. roundtable at E3 the Media stopped caring when it was not a MM remake.

Zero²

Somebody call every shooter developer from 1998-2004 and tell them Nintendo invented actually having color in your shootbang.
Well no one really said that Splatoon is innovative because its colourful.
Its all about the Squid Mechanic, and how that affects the gameplay, its all so novel. the way you recharge your "ammo", the way you sneak past enemies, hide, go though the terrain, etc...

casiopao

According to this thread, Project Robot has already flopped and Wonderful 101 and Xenoblade are second class games. I'm glad that's been cleared up!

Making a new Successful IP takes a ton of effort. It's not like Nintendo hasn't been making tons of new IP each year, but Splatoon is the one with the highest exposure by the press and enthusiastic gamer, who conveniently forgot the entire Wii ____ range existed. If this works out, we could get more exposure on their new IPs going forward that people will actually pay attention to.

And don't even get me started on people who actually want this to be another Mario game instead.

Its okay there. I believe these people are also the same people who consider Lair as First Class game there.

People want a new IP worth the polish of a Zelda or Mario, AAA budget, and marketing behind the game to sell it to the masses. I honestly cannot think of the last Nintendo title to strike all three of those boxes. Nintendo fans in this thread can continue to be obtuse though and pretend there is no discussion here.

People want a new IP worth the polish of a Zelda or Mario, AAA budget, and marketing behind the game to sell it to the masses. I honestly cannot think of the last Nintendo title to strike all three of those boxes. Nintendo fans in this thread can continue to be obtuse though and pretend there is no discussion here.

A Mario budget's, what, $20 million? EAD Tokyo brags about how little they spend on those games.

Nintendo's put more advertising behind Xenoblade X than they do most games.

Bingo.

Vice

They do this mostly toward the start of game generations though. In the mid-00s they did it with stuff like Wii____, Pikmin, Brain Age, Animal Crosing and Nintendogs.

Now they're doing it with Splatoon and Xenoblade X while still giving some shine to smaller projects like Codename: Steam and their downloadable titles or a revived series like Kid Icarus. They even tried to give Nintendo Land and W101 quite the push.

I think it's strange to ask for something of the same budget as Mario when we don't even have solid budgets for any modern Mario games (unless I'm mistaken). Including Zelda in there is even stranger since the two series obviously have very different budgets. You'll never convince me without evidence that NSMBU or 3D World had close to the budget of Skyward Sword, let alone the Wii U Zelda.

I'm also curious as to why 'marketing', especially 'for the masses', matters as to whether it's a new IP, fun, or ambitious.

Dictating that something must have a high budget, polish, mass-appeal marketing, and sell well before it 'counts' is the very definition of arbitrary.

They do make a lot of creative games smaller games. Unfortunately like so many others i don't think splatoon has much chance making a splash. Would love for it to be a hit but just can't see it happening.

casiopao

Mario 3D, Kart all had very small budget bro. Almost 0 game from Ninty AAA budget. Maybe Zelda for console other than that, they always had small to medium size budget.

If u guys really wanted those AAA budget, looking for Ninty is wrong move there.

Xenoblade X maybe is also one of those big title with big budget. However, I don't think it is going to achieve that normal Destiny, Skyrim or other AAA budget. Ninty is simply more efficient on almost every front.

If Splatoon ends up being a hit, I'll drink my own urine.

Define Hit. Makes it simple here. How much sales does it need to become hit? 1 million? 2 million?

We must make this fair right?

It looks fun—don't get me wrong—but there's no way this is going to be a runaway hit for Nintendo. It's too niche and too weird, so while it might gain a cult following, there's no way it sells. I'll drink that warm urine.
Tomodachi Life somehow sold millions, I think this could do fairly well if advertised correctly. It built up quite a cult following already after E3, the art thread is insane.

random25

I'll just say it's ignorance on your part if those are the only games you can think of.

casiopao

Plus, polish? Only Mario and Zelda have polish now?

Yup it is also only in this thread I know that Xenoblade lack polish and is second class game.

Kirby, Pikmin is all small game with no polish.

Boy o boy. Ninty sure had it rough here.

hao chi

Yup. Nintendo made a huge mistake not just making this Mario Paintball.

I wouldn't be nearly as interested in Splatoon if it was yet another game starring Mario and friends. I'd probably still buy it, because the gameplay looks great, but Splatoon being entirely its own thing is very appealing to me.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yup it is also only in this thread I know that Xenoblade lack polish and is second class game.

Kirby, Pikmin is all small game with no polish.

Boy o boy. Ninty sure had it rough here.

I think he's talking about games like Wonderful 101, which on the review side said it wasn't 100% in terms of control, and explaining to the player what the actual game was about. Then you have other examples from the Wii era, like Madworld, Sin and Punishment, Metroid Other M. Wii U you have Zombie U, Even Hyrule warriors.

They are good games, just not Mario 3D world great. Which is his point.

Snakeyes

I can accept that if you are refering to general consumers who don't actively research for gaming information, not enthusiasts on forums like this one.

Because what you say is more related to factors like marketing and internet hype, not the actual video game content and quality. Enthusiasts should be able to look past those shallow things and focus on the game itself. We're the community who actively search for gems in a pile of shit on Steam, not the mass market who's purchase of Smash Bros. depends entirely on their hype level from watching the Mega Man reveal trailer.

You'd be surprised. Enthusiasts are only marginally less prone to judge a game or console based on hype, marketing/presentation and first impressions than more mainstream gamers - if that wasn't the case, the PS4 wouldn't be enjoying the same amount of popularity as it currently does on this board.

Besides, most people like playing games with their friends. I think we've both seen several posters here mention that despite all the tepid impressions, they still decided to buy Destiny because everyone else in their gaming circles were getting it. If Nintendo isn't pushing one of their new IPs enough for the general public to take notice, it'll be harder for us enthusiasts to get our more casual friends interested in giving it a try. Hell, some may even end up passing on a game they were interested in after realizing they'll mostly be playing it alone while their buddies are enjoying some other better marketed game together.

I think making a genuine effort to create positive buzz around a game is just as important at both ends of the consumer spectrum, and it sadly feels like Nintendo hasn't really tried doing that with a new IP aside from the Wii games for a very long time, hence the complaints we often see around here.

iMerc

wait, are we back to thinking xenoblade is a 3rd party title, again?
holy fuck, people will simply believe whatever they want to, won't they.

casiopao

I think he's talking about games like Wonderful 101, which on the review side said it wasn't 100% in terms of control, and explaining to the player what the actual game was about. Then you have other examples from the Wii era, like Madworld, Sin and Punishment, Metroid Other M. Wii U you have Zombie U, Even Hyrule warriors.

They are good games, just not Mario 3D world great. Which is his point.

Wonderful 101 is just like almost all Platinum games there. Huge learning curve where u need to learn how to play the game first. Most review who complain on control don't even know u can attack using multiple form till the review finish there.

Sin And Punishment is great game there no bug at all good review too. Only that no one buy the damn game.

Madworld,Zombi U is not even first party or second party here.

AgeEighty

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be shallow enough to dismiss a game based on its development and marketing budgets, and I just can't. It has to be awful, though.

A Mario budget's, what, $20 million? EAD Tokyo brags about how little they spend on those games.

Nintendo's put more advertising behind Xenoblade X than they do most games.
In comparison to the push that their competitors give their games, nothing I've seen in the marketing for X is remotely impressive. Hell, the OG game wouldn't have even hit the states if things stuck to the original plans.

And bragging about being cheap seems to be a Nintendo staple.

They do this mostly toward the start of game generations though. In the mid-00s they did it with stuff like Wii____, Pikmin, Brain Age, Animal Crosing and Nintendogs.

Now they're doing it with Splatoon and Xenoblade X while still giving some shine to smaller projects like Codename: Steam and their downloadable titles or a revived series like Kid Icarus. They even tried to give Nintendo Land and W101 quite the push.
Yeah, when their handheld sector was extraordinarily dominant and the Wii was a raging success, they were more willing to take those types of risks. Even in the game cube days, they were at least trying to gain exposure with all sorts of exclusives in different genres and new IP. That Nintendo does not exist in 2014, for various reasons.

I think it's strange to ask for something of the same budget as Mario when we don't even have solid budgets for any modern Mario games (unless I'm mistaken). Including Zelda in there is even stranger since the two series obviously have very different budgets. You'll never convince me without evidence that NSMBU or 3D World had close to the budget of Skyward Sword, let alone the Wii U Zelda.

I'm also curious as to why 'marketing', especially 'for the masses', matters as to whether it's a new IP, fun, or ambitious.

Dictating that something must have a high budget, polish, mass-appeal marketing, and sell well before it 'counts' is the very definition of arbitrary.
You seem to be confused. It's all fine and dandy for Nintendo to make their "fun" and "ambitious" games. I'm not against that. I am questioning why Zelda and mainline Mario titles seem to be the only games that receive the deluxe treatment from budgeting, marketing, and appeal, from Nintendo. Continuing to make their niche games while the rest of the industry is building tentpole IPs is a dangerous path. (And I mean Destiny, Watch Dogs, Evolve, The Last of Us, etc. as the type of tentpole new IP other companies are building, in case you needed examples.)

Plus, polish? Only Mario and Zelda have polish now?
Did I say that they were the only games with polish?

I'll just say it's ignorance on your part if those are the only games you can think of.
Call me ignorant then.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be shallow enough to dismiss a game based on its development and marketing budgets, and I just can't. It has to be awful, though.
Welcome to gaming in 2014, enjoy your stay. If Nintendo isn't actively doing the most to appeal to the largest amount of gamers that they can, (through funding new IP that have a wider appeal, supporting these titles with widespread campaigns, etc.) then they deserve what they get.

JaseMath

Define Hit. Makes it simple here. How much sales does it need to become hit? 1 million? 2 million?

We must make this fair right?
Millions is asking a lot on a console with a user base as small as Wii U's. It has to at least outsell Captain Toad to be considered for the urine challenge.

Top Bottom