• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Real F1Spy ‏@realF1Spy 25m25 minutes ago
Expected ICE power - 2015 Power Units:

@MercedesAMGF1- 700 bhp

@McLarenF1- 690 bhp

@ScuderiaFerrari- 670 bhp

@RenaultSportF1- 660 bhp

Am I misunderstanding Bernie's bullshit here, or is he saying that despite "nobody" (presuming he is talking about the engine manufacturers) wanting it to be changed, he is going to force a complete engine change in 2016?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...tells-teams-to-cut-costs-or-else-9937043.html
It's Bernie's BS - he can't by himself change regulations, but he can apply pressure.

Mastah

New team radio of the incident released by Formula One Management on the official 2014 F1 season review shows Hamilton immediately suspected his team mate had gone off the track deliberately.

On Mercedes’ team radio at the time Hamilton was told “yellow, yellow turn five”. He replied “ah, that was very good of him” after seeing Rosberg’s car parked in the slip-road at Mirabeau. “Very good,” Hamilton added again.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/12/20/new-radio-reveals-hamiltons-suspicions-monaco/

Real F1Spy ‏@realF1Spy 25m25 minutes ago
Expected ICE power - 2015 Power Units:

@MercedesAMGF1- 700 bhp

@McLarenF1- 690 bhp

@ScuderiaFerrari- 670 bhp

@RenaultSportF1- 660 bhp

I remember reading the 2014 Mercedes estimate being 638 bhp or there abouts on F1 technical, so gains using Lotus's 85 bhp claim

Mercedes +45 bhp - 680 bhp
Renault +40 bhp - 640 ?
Ferrari +50 bhp - 650 ?

Seems Renault will be out of F1 after next season. Honda domination incoming.

Jibbed

Those numbers have been plucked from where?

Someone's ass.

Although I don't doubt Honda has their best guys and equipment working around the clock on engine development, I'm very sceptical that they're going to come in and be competitive in season 1.

itsgreen

Someone's ass.

Although I don't doubt Honda has their best guys and equipment working around the clock on engine development, I'm very sceptical that they're going to come in and be competitive in season 1.

And then you remember the, I guess 1 billion, effort of Honda to build a V8.

Everyone calm down. It's just an estimate of the ICE (Internal combustion engine, aka the turbo engine) not the total package. And second of all, it doesn't take into account fuel consumption and reliability (more important than outright bhp). Main problems with the Honda PU will be those, not performance of the turbo engine.

The source is someone who has been accurate in the past, so we'll see if it's true or not.

1pls16.jpg

2ytkeo.jpg

334lv7.jpg

Shaneus

lol, stoke them coals!

Red Bull team boss says Daniel Ricciardo’s pace led to Sebastian Vettel departure
Horner made the admission to BBC that Ricciardo’s ascent in F1 and his superior driving was “probably a factor” in Vettel deciding to leave Red Bull, the team the German had won four world championships with.

Horner said the Italian Grand Prix, where Ricciardo overtook Vettel, was a huge influence in his decision to join Ferrari.

“He was enormously frustrated after that grand prix,” Horner told the BBC F1 review show.

“It was at a time where after the summer break, knowing Sebastian as well as I do, I could see he was very distracted and it was obvious something was at the back of his mind.

“And I think Ferrari were courting him quite hard and around Spa/Monza was the time he made the decision to do something different next year.”

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It's weird to say that a driver would leave a team because his team mate is outpacing him. Shouldn't that motivate him to beat him next year? By leaving, the impression that he is inferior to his team mate will persist forever.

FuturusX

It's weird to say that a driver would leave a team because his team mate is outpacing him. Shouldn't that motivate him to beat him next year? By leaving, the impression that he is inferior to his team mate will persist forever.

The taste of grapes...that are sour perhaps. Little bit of acrimony as the door slams on his way out for sure.

Gruso

To be fair, Horner said it may have been a factor, and Fox turned it into "it's why he left". I don't think Seb would have consciously thought "Dan is faster, I need a new team," but on some level it would have been gnawing at him, and making it that little bit easier to make his inevitable jump to Ferrari.

pants

Hasnt it been a thing that Vettel has had a pre-contract with Ferrari for the last 5 years? I dont think this was a sudden decision

Nicktendo86

Very exciting interview with Eric Boullier here, some choice quotes:

"He is definitely a key signing - all the aero department has been restructured bearing in mind I knew he was coming," Boullier told AUTOSPORT.

"In the back of the mind we knew that Podromou would be like the cherry on the top of the cake.

"His name is very famous in the pitlane and he has brought a lot of freshness and extra leadership in the aero and technical departments.

"Everybody was placed, we were just waiting for the master to sit down.

"Now they click together and we have a strong group led by Peter.

"He is the final part of the puzzle."

"That is why we will have some very senior people joining us, but also more 'junior' people, who have been nurtured in the shadows of some of the bigger names [in the sport].

"Next year is all about fine-tuning and making sure we follow the discipline of the new way of working.

"If you look at the trend, we are now in a spiral going up, not a spiral going down. What we have in place is delivering better than the others, so I expect huge gains next year."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117208

Mastah

What if Vettel knows he would be beaten again by Ricciardo next year? Like in some race in 2014 he drove at his best and was still behind Danny? At Ferrari he indeed faces new challenge and people will forget 2014 quite quickly if he performs at least slightly better than Kimi.

Briatore about McLaren driver announcement delay:

"It was an internal matter concerning sponsorships," Briatore said. "But we are happy because he (Button) is a good guy, smart, clever. He has already worked with Fernando in my team (Renault)."

http://www.f1zone.net/news/alonso-was-tired-of-ferrari-promises-says-briatore/44746/

Anyone watching Peter Windsor's breakdown of the top 10 2014 drivers? He has an interesting viewpoint on Alonso, say Fred's management team made critical mistakes in his time at Ferrari (by not fighting against the dismissals of key personnel) and that it's preposterous that a driver of Alonso's calibre never so much as tried to negotiate with Red Bull Racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJOg0ivAzig

NHale

Anyone watching Peter Windsor's breakdown of the top 10 2014 drivers? He has an interesting viewpoint on Alonso, say Fred's management team made critical mistakes in his time at Ferrari (by not fighting against the dismissals of key personnel) and that it's preposterous that a driver of Alonso's calibre never so much as tried to negotiate with Red Bull Racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJOg0ivAzig

That can't be right. On the Summer of 2013 the meeting with Abad and Horner was even photographed. It coincides with the timeframe that Whitmarsh started talks with Alonso (confirmed by Alonso last week) as soon as Ferrari started negotiating with Kimi for 2014. He knew he lost the "control" of the team and went knocking on every door to see which options he had in the future.

The problem for him is that Red Bull didn't wanted him. You can never say never (as Kimi to Ferrari with LdM and Alonso to Mclaren with Ron proves) but as long as Helmut Marko is in a position of power within RBR, Alonso will never drive one of their cars. He had his chance to drive for RBR in 2008 but he opted to go back to Renault instead.

Also the rumors flying around the time of his firing was that it was Alonso that demanded that Aldo Costa was fired from the team. There is a reason why Aldo Costa said this phrase about Alonso this year "In the car he is fantastic, outside the car I can't understand him. An enigma. Thankfully he will not be with us at Mercedes because Hamilton doesn't have any reason to leave us". Quite telling don't you think?

Mastah

Antonio Boselli from Italian Sky is tweeting from press conference with Arrivabene and Marchionne and they just confirmed that although crash tests are done, Ferrari is late with their 2015 car, lol.

NHale

Antonio Boselli from Italian Sky is tweeting from press conference with Arrivabene and Marchionne and they just confirmed that although crash tests are done, Ferrari is late with their 2015 car, lol.

They are just lowering expectations and firing people left and right because they clearly know the 2015 car is a rocket and they don't have anything to worry.

Juicy Bob

They've clearly bought Marussia's would-be-still-born 2015 chassis design and realised that they've got another Brawn on their hands...

Ron Dennis saying that the Honda PU is impressive but hitting milestones and reliability are the most important thing.

Other bits about Ferrari:

- 2 wins next season is considered a success;
- Brawn and Newey are out of consideration for 2015;
- Spent too much time on the 2014 and 2015 was left behind (really?);~
- Marchionne finalized signing Vettel;

Top Bottom