• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

Mr.Jack

Neo Member
It's a really good game, one of my favorite indie titles ever, I've player over 36 hours of it and I'm not done yet, now I'm just taking a break but any day I'll get into it again.

10/10.

mnannola

It's a really good game, one of my favorite indie titles ever, I've player over 36 hours of it and I'm not done yet, now I'm just taking a break but any day I'll get into it again.

10/10.

I think it's in my top 5 games of the generation. It might be one of the most perfect games ever made, as far as accomplishing exactly what it set out to do. I just can't think of anything I would fix about it, and that is incredibly rare. There is an immense amount of depth to it, but it's so well hidden that you don't have to concern yourself with any of it to have a good time.

Hell I haven't even made it to the temple levels yet, and I don't care. 10/10.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think it's in my top 5 games of the generation. It might be one of the most perfect games ever made, as far as accomplishing exactly what it set out to do. I just can't think of anything I would fix about it, and that is incredibly rare. There is an immense amount of depth to it, but it's so well hidden that you don't have to concern yourself with any of it to have a good time.

Hell I haven't even made it to the temple levels yet, and I don't care. 10/10.

Ghost mining is the only flaw. So boring.

Either get rid of the diamonds or make the ghost get faster as time goes by.

I haven't beaten King Yama yet, but I feel so fucking close. I feel like I have all the necessary skills to beat him but I keep making stupid mistakes.

Last night I had over 40 bombs, a jetpack and a shotgun and I accidentally took the wrong exit in the ice caves. I actually screamed out loud when I did that.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
Last night I had over 40 bombs, a jetpack and a shotgun and I accidentally took the wrong exit in the ice caves. I actually screamed out loud when I did that.

Ouch. I've done that accidentely as well a few times. It's also very frustrating, when you end up using your ankh before Moai head shows up. You doing the daily or just adventure?

I really love this game, one of my favourites of all time. I play the daily pretty much every single day, though not always succesfully. The leaderboard is a great thing, it's really fun to see how others did. Only thing is that none of my friends play it, so I can only compare myself to randoms. I do see some of the same names pop up occasioanlly, though.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I DID IT

FINALLY killed Olmec. Man that feels good.

435 plays on my ps4, probably another 300 between vita and pc.

Such an amazing game. So ready to go straight for Hell. I almost went for the Hedjet this run, I was so well stocked with Jetpack, bombs, equip, 13 hearts and the blood cup. Glad I didn't, cause Olmec stomped me once when I got stuck, so I needed that ankh.

whenever i see someone play the game relatively well, i always get this itch to play and try to get good at spelunky.

then i start it up, die repeatedly without even getting to the jungle levels, get frustrated and quit.

i think i have patience issues.

whenever i see someone play the game relatively well, i always get this itch to play and try to get good at spelunky.

then i start it up, die repeatedly without even getting to the jungle levels, get frustrated and quit.

That person you were watching play the game relatively well? Just remember that once they used to play the game exactly as well as you are now.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member

As toythatkills said, most of us started off being killed all the time.

What is it that kills you? Is a variety of stuff or are the particular enemies or traps that you have difficulty with?

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH OH MY GOD I FUCKING DID IT

B8IXNO5IQAEj8io.jpg

B8IXNO5IQAEj8io.jpg

Good job! That's actually really impressive.

I'm going trough a pretty bad funk recently. I can't seem to get to the City of Gold anymore. Every time I'm even remotely close I fuck it up somehow.

I still feel like one of these I'm going to make it tough...

I'm really getting screwed over by the item pickup priority in this game. Just got myself killed by a shopkeep because his shotgun landed right on a pickaxe and guess what has pickup priority?

Not the shotgun.

madmook

Jetpack in a crate in 1-1 on today's daily on PSN. So satisfying to see one of those pop out when I crack open a crate.

Still died in a face-palming way on 2-1.

I still can't believe it.

I took a break from studying to play some Spelunker on Vita and I managed to do it... I killed King Yama.

I still have a hard time believing it but everything went so incredibly smooth in my run that I was feeling pretty good of my chances after I reached the City of Gold. I got 3 trophies at the same time to, which was pretty nice. Now to get the rest of them!

I fucking love this game.

While watching Simpsons yesterday I learned that "Spelunking" is an actual real word lol. I knew the episode wasn't from the last few years so I had a moment of being dumbstruck "How the fuck can they reference Spelunky?".

Flappy

Banned
Any word on an XBO version?

It's odd how the game started off on MS platforms and now it's the only platform you can't get it on :/

DedValve

Banned

It's odd how the game started off on MS platforms and now it's the only platform you can't get it on :/

Probably because it came on Xbox 360 first, thus breaking the parity clause and not making XB1 owners feel first class.

would be hilariously depressing if that actually where the case.

Probably not going to happen, considering they didn't patch up the Xbox 360 version to include newer features / bug fixes like they did with the other ports due to MS' policies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Got $801k on a hell run for today's daily. I am just going to assume my number 1 spot will remain and never check back.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
Got $801k on a hell run for today's daily. I am just going to assume my number 1 spot will remain and never check back.

Sorry to disappoint, but I believe that spot is mine and for now it looks it'll stay that way. Got just over 1 mil.

Pretty tough daily today, not really a lot of good stuff on the black market, except bombs. Hell was also not that easy to navigate, but shopkeepers were easy to kill there.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Sorry to disappoint, but I believe that spot is mine and for now it looks it'll stay that way. Got just over 1 mil.

Pretty tough daily today, not really a lot of good stuff on the black market, except bombs. Hell was also not that easy to navigate, but shopkeepers were easy to kill there.

How dare you break up my illusion!

teeejay

Banned
I killed Anubis II for the first time this week.. and I saw the exit to go to Olmec's room.. but alas, a shopkeeper waited for me at the door. I tried to farm some locusts but I was taking up too much time, and the ghost appeared.

With a jetpack equipped, I tried to juke the ghost, but it ran out of fuel just as it was below me, and my best run ever swiftly ended.

graywords

B8IXNO5IQAEj8io.jpg

Major congrats! Truly a lesson in pain.

Finally managed to pull this off myself the other week, as well.

Screw Low Scorer. Never again.

Almost managed to eff it up, too... I bombed a "clear" path down for Olmec (not much gold/gems/open spaces, but one column of bricks was directly below the level entrance. Now I know that the level entrance door platform prevents Olmec from falling. :/

Thankfully, I had just enough bombs left to clear one extra brick column to the right. Otherwise I might've been buying a new Logitech F310...

I actually really enjoyed Low Scorer. There were some very frustrating moments, for sure, but the way it makes you play the game completely differently to any other achievement makes for a really interesting time.

Novocaine

I'm having a thing happen on my Vita/PS4 version where the right golden gem keeps disappearing on the door. The left gem and red gem are still there though. Anybody else get this or know of a way to fix it? I've redone it several times now.

I'm having a thing happen on my Vita/PS4 version where the right golden gem keeps disappearing on the door. The left gem and red gem are still there though. Anybody else get this or know of a way to fix it? I've redone it several times now.

I have the same problem. I think it relates to your last run or something? Or else it might just be a glitch.

It's really starting to bug me that the shotgun doesn't have pickup priority over everything else. Too many cheap deaths to shopkeepers because I picked up a pickaxe by mistake.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
It's really starting to bug me that the shotgun doesn't have pickup priority over everything else. Too many cheap deaths to shopkeepers because I picked up a pickaxe by mistake.

I hear that. It's been a while since I died, while robbing the first shop, but I'm still always extra cautious, when there are active items on sale there. That is, unless it's an ice cannon. Those just make robbing the place a piece of cake.

Also:

B8IXNO5IQAEj8io.jpg
A bit late, but congrats on the 100%.

So I'm back on this game. 1 year later, and it's JUST as addictive to play. Especially since I've never reached Hell!

Seriously, this might be one of my favourite games of all time. Would kill for a sequel.

PensOwl

Banned
We really need a sequel, but I don't see it happening. The community is starting to die out as speed runners and score runners are pushing the game to its limits. People are starting to drop out due to the enormous dedication and RNG needed to just be on pace to previous records.

Duster

To those that pay attention to the release notes on patches have they reduced the frequency of jetpacks and plasma canons found in crates during the daily challenge or removed them completely (PSN)?

The chance of getting those items early used to be one of the best bits of the dailys but I haven't seen any for ages.

I don't know what you could add to Spelunky to make it any better without breaking the balance. A sequel might be interesting but I'd rather Derek Yu use his design sensibilities on a different genre.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
We don't need a sequel. The game is practically perfect as it is. What the above poster said, they should just use their talent for something new.

I can't really think of any items they could add to the current game, but if they could think of any it'd be cool.

I guess it's not as easy to just throw random items into Spelunky like Isaac gets. They can add hundreds of items into Isaac because they just pick random things to make them do. Spelunky needs each item to be recognizable and specific with as little overlap as possible. (Spelunky's items are mostly unique. Each one does something brand new for the most part. There's no questioning what one does once you see it. And for the most part the only overlapping items still do their own thing.) So Spelunky can't just get an expansion pack like Isaac can. But it's fine because it's already very solid.

To those that pay attention to the release notes on patches have they reduced the frequency of jetpacks and plasma canons found in crates during the daily challenge or removed them completely (PSN)?

The chance of getting those items early used to be one of the best bits of the dailys but I haven't seen any for ages.

They haven't, I'm sure off it. I found the jetpack on 2-1 on the Daily Challenge today on PSN.

Jb

We don't need a sequel. The game is practically perfect as it is. What the above poster said, they should just use their talent for something new.

I can't really think of any items they could add to the current game, but if they could think of any it'd be cool.

I guess it's not as easy to just throw random items into Spelunky like Isaac gets. They can add hundreds of items into Isaac because they just pick random things to make them do. Spelunky needs each item to be recognizable and specific with as little overlap as possible. (Spelunky's items are mostly unique. Each one does something brand new for the most part. There's no questioning what one does once you see it. And for the most part the only overlapping items still do their own thing.) So Spelunky can't just get an expansion pack like Isaac can. But it's fine because it's already very solid.

I don't think new items would be very interesting, but I can think of a few items that they could straight out remove from the game and nothing of value would be lost (web gun, boomerang, machete, camera...)

Vashetti

Banned
I don't think new items would be very interesting, but I can think of a few items that they could straight out remove from the game and nothing of value would be lost (web gun, boomerang, machete, camera...)

The camera is great:

The Camera will kill any undead monsters (such as Skeletons, Jiang Shi, Vampires or even Mummies) caught in the frame.

Other reactions to being snapped:

• Spiders will drop from the ceiling (even Spinner Spiders, which will then detach from their thread and hop around like regular spiders)
  • Fire Frogs won't die immediately, but will swell up and explode after a short delay.
  • Surprisingly, Bats will be killed by the camera flash. This might be a programming mistake stemming from their shared behavior with Vampires, or it could be explained as the Bat's "going blind".
  • Shopkeepers will become angry.
  • The Ghost will stop chasing you for a brief period as it strikes a sexy pose, making the Camera the only item in the game that has any effect on it. When combined with a jetpack, the camera makes Ghostrunning much safer.
  • The Camera is also useful in dark levels, as the flash will momentarily light up the whole screen when a photo is taken.

The Camera can be used an unlimited number of times.

http://spelunky.wikia.com/wiki/Camera

I'd rather see an expansion with balance tweaks rather than a full-fledged sequel for Spelunky, hypothetically speaking. I wouldn't mind a Hard Mode for example where jetpack fuel is limited (as opposed to refreshing itself as you touch ground), the shotgun is given an ammo count as well becoming useless if you take a dip in the water, a ghost that gradually increases her movement speed and other such changes, if only to create this experience that requires even more careful and deliberate decision-making under time pressure. Making the bosses less binary plus revising ghosting for increased risk-reward (as well as making it more engaging of a mechanic) with regards to the diamonds also comes to mind. Then of course there's the opportunity for more hidden levels or even a new world, never mind additional tiles for new traps or different enemies to keep experienced players on their toes. New items would be at the bottom of the agenda for me, though I wouldn't say no to an interesting new tool provided there isn't any overlap in its purpose.

There's plenty of potential, but unfortunately I can't see it ever happening with how Mossmouth hasn't even incorporated some of the new PS4 features in the PC version yet.

The camera is actually genuinely good though. Dispatches a fair amount of enemies and more importantly, trivializes dangers in a darkness stage because you can illuminate the entire screen per flash. Situational, but potent.

The web gun can be used to climb walls and stop enemies! The machete can cut through webs and hit stunned enemies! The boomerang can hit enemies a bunch of times in one shot! The camera can slow the ghost down, it can kill enemies, it can light up dark levels!

All those things can be valuable, and as well as that if you remove them all, things like jetpacks become super-common because there's less stuff in rotation.

I'd rather see an expansion with balance tweaks rather than a full-fledged sequel for Spelunky, hypothetically speaking. I wouldn't mind a Hard Mode for example where jetpack fuel is limited (as opposed to refreshing itself as you touch ground), the shotgun is given an ammo count as well becoming useless if you take a dip in the water, a ghost that gradually increases her movement speed and other such changes, if only to create this experience that requires even more careful and deliberate decision-making under time pressure. Making the bosses less binary plus revising ghosting for increased risk-reward (as well as making it more engaging of a mechanic) with regards to the diamonds also comes to mind. Then of course there's the opportunity for more hidden levels or even a new world, never mind additional tiles for new traps or different enemies to keep experienced players on their toes. New items would be at the bottom of the agenda for me, though I wouldn't say no to an interesting new tool provided there isn't any overlap in its purpose.

I disagree with a lot of this, but especially the bosses. Spelunky works because EVERYTHING in the game has a pattern. As soon as you remove the patterns it becomes random, and as soon as Spelunky becomes random it becomes shit.

(Obviously that point is separate from the procedurally generated levels - though even they have patterns.)

Top Bottom