• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

N E R O

i have finished the game and got the platinum trophy on the day that bloodborne came out, and all i can say that this the final fantasy I've been waiting for since FF IX

aghhh...if it was only made for a home console from the scratch instead of a portable device. we would've gotten a better game by all means

hopefully there are more type series coming in the future

i have finished the game and got the platinum trophy on the day that bloodborne came out, and all i can say that this the final fantasy I've been waiting for since FF IX

aghhh...if it was only made for a home console from the 0 instead of a portable device.

hopefully there are more type series coming in the future

Did you see the teaser for Type-1?

UraMallas

The game is not making a very strong first impression. It's very hard to take the story seriously when the cutscenes are directed this terribly. It doesn't help that virtually no context is given for anything that's happening so I'm confused as hell. I guess I'll keep at it but blah.

How far in are you? I finally started to like it at about 9-10 hours in. Before that it was a chore.

Jubern

Something I found baffling was that the entire "We have arrived" sequence that explains what the heck is going on is kind of hidden as the second pre-main menu video. I'm sure some people judge skipped it not knowing any better.

Also, you can't change audio nor turn on subtitles before you get to the main menu, so after these sequences, which is insane.

I'm making progress and I have to say that I'm more and more disappointed in how little game has changed from the PSP version. It was known beforehand sure but disappointing nonetheless.

Finally beat it this morning after 55 hours and I gotta say I really love it!
Not being able to die from the final boss was a little disappointing
, but I loved the gameplay, loved the story, and loved the characters (except Machina, fuck him).

Ending spoilers:
One thing I found interesting was the last line at the end where it mentions Machina and his wife. They imply a romantic interest between Rem and Machina, but then don't refer to Machina's wife by name. I like about how it seems to imply that Machina and Rem didn't get married which would have been the cheesy, cliched route to take, but it's unfortunate to think that bastard Machina lived to be 67 when his classmates all died as students. Truly the darkest timeline.

I was going to go back to clean up the rest of the trophies and do another playthrough or two and found out I only have one more trophy to get. This really is one hell of an easy trophy list, my goodness. I still plan to do a bunch of the extra content and NG+. This game is so great!

Geg

7- I'm not sure, but I'll say what someone told me:
to view the What If ending you need to complete all of the NG+ missions (when you are about to start a story mission on NG+ they will sometimes ask if you want to do something else instead, do them). And you need recruit every cadet to Class Zero (Carla, Quon, Mutsuki, Ryid, Naghi).

And that's it.

I don't think you have to recruit them all. Can those even be done on a second playthrough? I know Ryid's at least recommends you be level 70-something and I don't think I'll make it there in just two playthroughs.

I have seen some places say you need all the summer outfits unlocked, is that true also?

I don't think you have to recruit them all. Can those even be done on a second playthrough? I know Ryid's at least recommends you be level 70-something and I don't think I'll make it there in just two playthroughs.

I have seen some places say you need all the summer outfits unlocked, is that true also?

I was able to do it lvl 40. It recommends 70 because you're going to the Ultima Bomb crater, but if you learn the killsights it becomes relatively easy to kill the enemies there. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's needed...

As for the outfits, it was not necessary in the PSP version, since I don't have all of them.

Need 2 more trophies for the platinum. I hate everything except the combat system, and surprisingly I love breeding Chocobos. Chapter 8
is such bullshit. Especially the one room where you can't kill any monsters with physical attacks. I had no magic on any of my party because Rem was gone and Cater and Queen were in the other party. I just spammed AP abilities and waited for the CPU characters to finish the fight.

Joei

Just hit Chapter 3 and I think the game is ok so far. I like the battle system, though its taking some time to get used to, and I like locations and general feel of the game, and there seems to be a lot of stuff to do between missions. But it's just weird that you start out with what, 14 characters? I feel like no connection to any of them and have no idea of the reason for that many characters, other than you're a team at a school. I feel like I would be enjoying this more if it was like a cast of 3 to 6 with those particular characters developed more. But like I said, I like the battle setup and the core gameplay, so that's a huge driving factor to me finishing the game, which I'm sure I'll do.

EDIT - oh, totally forgot to mention, the music in this game seriously kicks ass.

SunGod

=P, I'm not sure either. I just kept playing and eventually I just got most of them (I think it's when yo go somewhere and you get a little message saying it got an update, but I have no idea what are the conditions to update it).

That's the problem, I hope I haven't missed it... perhaps it comes up in NG++

Also regarding one of my other questions
the triangle + circle prompt for the airship is visible but I can't use it yet, all I've done is finish the first two story missions though, so I'll see...

Thanks for all the help so far! Hopefully I can grab every entry :)

the triangle + circle prompt for the airship is visible but I can't use it yet, all I've done is finish the first two story missions though, so I'll see...

Oh, I doubt any of them are missable, that would be pretty lame. Just keep playing and you'll get them (I did two playthroughs and still haven't unlocked everything =P). But I would be surprised if any of them are missable.

And yeah, I figure you wouldn't be able to use the airship from the beginning. My guess is that you won't be able to use until you can get access to the part of the map that has the Tower of Agito, but worst case scenario you won't be able to use it until chapter 6-7.

SunGod

Oh, I doubt any of them are missable, that would be pretty lame. Just keep playing and you'll get them (I did two playthroughs and still haven't unlocked everything =P). But I would be surprised if any of them are missable.

And yeah, I figure you wouldn't be able to use the airship from the beginning. My guess is that you won't be able to use until you can get access to the part of the map that has the Tower of Agito, but worst case scenario you won't be able to use it until chapter 6-7.

No I don't think it's missable either, I'll just be annoyed having to start again to get it! I still hope the other entries from the beginning of the Rubicus simply fill themselves in on NG+...

And yeah as long as I don't have to play through the whole section unlocking the airship I'll be happy!

No I don't think it's missable either, I'll just be annoyed having to start again to get it! I still hope the other entries from the beginning of the Rubicus simply fill themselves in on NG+...

And yeah as long as I don't have to play through the whole section unlocking the airship I'll be happy!

Oh yeah, having to start another playthrough just for the entries would be pretty bad.

Hopefully soon someone will find out how to unlock them =P

Cornbread78

I changed the settings for lock-on from 'Hold' to 'Toggle' and it helped me immensely.

The funny thing is I died about 4 more times tonight, so I got pissed and just stood there with my bow guy and shot him out of the sky doing 400+ damage each shot and killed him in 30 seconds with regular attacks, wtf?

So I'm at chapter 7 now in my first playthrough.... How necessary is to go through a 2nd playthrough for the story and new events? How much % it changes from the first time around?

Do I really need to go through a 2nd playthrough or finishing the game for one time only is enough?

So I'm at chapter 7 now in my first playthrough.... How necessary is to go through a 2nd playthrough for the story and new events? How much % it changes from the first time around?

Do I really need to go through a 2nd playthrough or finishing the game for one time only is enough?

The second playthrough helps because you will understand every cutscene way better than in your first playthrough. And it also adds a few cutscenes to the story (not many though).

NG+ mainly gives you new story missions, new cutscenes (not all related to the story) and it's when you're leveled enough to go through dungeons and expert trials.

I need two more Eidolons to get my last trophy, but it looks like I would have to go through the game a second time as it seems like I can't unlock them through mission select. Can anyone confirm or am I doing something wrong?

NateDog

Don't worry, you're able to use it pretty much just after you get out of Rubrum if I remember correctly. Although you have pretty much nowhere to land at that stage so it's not much use anyway. :p

SunGod

Don't worry, you're able to use it pretty much just after you get out of Rubrum if I remember correctly. Although you have pretty much nowhere to land at that stage so it's not much use anyway. :p

Haha I though that might be the case, at least I don't have to get it again!

Zareka

Is Corsi Cave meant to be kicking my ass this much? I've only played 2 story mission before I got this quest but everything in the cave is level 20+ and one shoting my level 9-12 party. It says the deadline is mission day and I only have 6 hours left, which I believe is used to leave Akademia?

Is Corsi Cave meant to be kicking my ass this much? I've only played 2 story mission before I got this quest but everything in the cave is level 20+ and one shoting my level 9-12 party. It says the deadline is mission day and I only have 6 hours left, which I believe is used to leave Akademia?

You shouldn't worry about quests/missions if they are 10+ levels higher than you.

I'd assumed I'd miss out on any available quests if I didn't finish them before the next story mission. Is that not how they work?

Sometimes they will show up again but i wouldn't worry about it to much, most of the prizes for tasks aren't anything special. (And there's no trophy for tasks).

I'd assumed I'd miss out on any available quests if I didn't finish them before the next story mission. Is that not how they work?

Whenever I saw a task that was a bunch of levels higher than my own, I just assumed they'll be back for my NG+ playthrough and I'd do them then.

Zareka

Sometimes they will show up again but i wouldn't worry about it to much, most of the prizes for tasks aren't anything special. (And there's no trophy for tasks).

Whenever I saw a task that was a bunch of levels higher than my own, I just assumed they'll be back for my NG+ playthrough and I'd do them then.
Oh okay, in that case I'll just leave any I can't easily do until new game plus. I thought they'd be important and it was kind of a bore anyway. Thanks!

Epcott

Do I really need to make sure everyone levels up equally? And what is the highest level they can reach?

Is there like a milestone chart online, one that tells you what level you should have your class at by the time you make it to certain chapters (without spoiling anything)?

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly the skill factor does so much more than the power creep factor from levelling in this game that there's no clear-cut black and white answer. Levels are high enough 'if you can beat the chapter'.

Having go-tos is fine. Having a prioritized Team A and Team B should get you through the game.

Shahed

What the hell was that alternate ending? It's not that I mind the idea of a Japanese Final Fantasy with the Type series compared to the more Western slanted mainline iterations. But did they have to go more anime and use a school setting? Literally my sister who plays all the mainline FF games saw that and got put off, especially the way a certain someone bends over with the camera focusing on a certain part right off the bat. Now she's not even sure she's gonna play this game.

Roto13

What the hell was that alternate ending? It's not that I mind the idea of a Japanese Final Fantasy with the Type series compared to the more Western slanted mainline iterations. But did they have to go more anime and use a school setting? Literally my sister who plays all the mainline FF games saw that and got put off, especially the way a certain someone bends over with the camera focusing on a certain part right off the bat. Now she's not even sure she's gonna play this game.

Tell her to get over it.

How did she feel about FFVIII?

Shahed

Tell her to get over it.

How did she feel about FFVIII?

While we largely have the same feelings on those matters, the difference is it didn't stop me from playing the game. I find over the top fan service annoying. For the ending I'm talking about having her lean forward over the table slightly for a cleavage shot is one thing when it shows her full figure, the desk and other things around her. That's within reason. Having the camera then zoom in when on top of that so it literally only shows her cleavage is going too far and weird.

FFVIII is handled slightly different. For one in that game they where largely military uniforms until they become full SEED members and then wear their own thing. This game may as well have school uniforms. Then there's the panty shots. It's not as if you look for them, but sometimes when you dodge or get knocked down they're just there. Part of the reason Seven was the female I controlled most.

It's not as if we're averse to anime either. We've both watched plenty of anime, several of which have school settings. But it just doesn't feel like it fits appropriately in a Final Fantasy. Yes Garden is essentially still an School like Academia. But you're not there as often and the tone seems different.

Don't get me wrong. I liked the game. Doesn't mean I can't talk about the parts I didn't like

theofficefan99

I'm honestly shocked at the mediocre localization efforts of this game... it's not something I'd expect from a Final Fantasy game. It's a shame, too. If the localization was of at least standard FF quality and the camera were fixed, the reception would've been a lot better :/

Shahed

How do you cast finishing magic?
Depends on the person. Just do what it tells you for each of their moves. For example Rem and Queen have it after a normal attack. You can either wait and time it properly, or just attack once and repeatedly press on the magic button

...Uh, the whole game's hub is a school setting, not just the alternate ending. It's a fun what-if scenario, and the boobs only show for like a second. If she's not playing it, her loss, but that's really petty.

Roto13

...Uh, the whole game's hub is a school setting, not just the alternate ending. It's a fun what-if scenario, and the boobs only show for like a second. If she's not playing it, her loss, but that's really petty.

Especially since you have to go out of your way to see it in the first place. Such a silly thing to get upset over.

So what's the best way to grind? I just abandoned a main mission cus the boss was too hard and I only had like three characters levelled. I'm in Chapter 2 btw. I feel like there's so many systems (promotions, Crystarium(?) etc) that I just don't understand.

Roto13

So what's the best way to grind? I just abandoned a main mission cus the boss was too hard and I only had like three characters levelled. I'm in Chapter 2 btw. I feel like there's so many systems (promotions, Crystarium(?) etc) that I just don't understand.

You can always replay missions from the main menu to get EXP and Phantoma and stuff.

AMAZING GAME!!!

Just finished and yeah.....
WTF
!

I have a few questions:

1. Does the new game plus have extended story sequences which will explain some stuff more?

2. At the final trial I failed...as I think I killed enemies instead of dodging (when you go up the staircase). This made me crippled in the last portion of the game....will redoing that have changed the ending?

3. The history bit had 2 videos unlocked that weren't seen during my run through. One was the sneak peak at FF Type-1 . The other was 'Chapter of Truth' ...which alludes to a spiral..alternate reality or just that the same cycle had been carried out before. Is this all the game will do in order to help me understand the final bit more?

4. Not a question but HATE HOW MACHINA IS SOME HERO IN THE END ... he was the worst characterrr!

Top Bottom