• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not, but I don't feel like it's always miscommunication. I feel it's dishonest at times.

What do they have to gain, even in the slightest, from being dishonest? They haven't been dishonest about anything. Poorly communicated? Maybe. Not wanting to discuss things until they are final? Definitely.

nillapuddin

Also, Hunters in the Dark has a terrible premise. The the galaxy is in danger - it's not because it's set in past so we know nothing bad happens and characters could die - except we know a certain character has to survive and escape.

Valid, but I mean, truly how else can you fill in these EU slots, give characters a role in the universe that is meaningless in both scope and time?

If you had no idea about Halo 5, I imagine you would be tense with the course of their story, although obviously because its all encompassing premise there is no way they could fail their mission (avoiding spoilers the best I can)

far too much travel and battle filler. Another skirmish, great. More travel, brilliant. Another fight. More travel. Not exactly gripping.

Maybe I am stupid or just unimaginative but, Arent all stories a cycle of point A -> conflict -> point B -> conflict -> Point C, etc ?

What do they have to gain, even in the slightest, from being dishonest? They haven't been dishonest about anything. Poorly communicated? Maybe. Not wanting to discuss things until they are final? Definitely.

Edit: Seriously, you guys can't tell me 343 was totally upfront when MCC launched. I mean cmon.

How about a mass return of a broken game. Or maybe they want to sell a game with loadouts that might not be popular with the established fan base. Maybe that's why we didn't get the full Halo 4 picture until it leaked. All those patches to fix all those MCC problems, were they upfront about it?

I'm not calling them bad people. I'm saying, as a consumer, that I think they have been dishonest. I don't think it's planned, like some conspiracy. I just think the negative information is withheld at times because of backlash.

Also, Hunters in the Dark has a terrible premise. The the galaxy is in danger - it's not because it's set in past so we know nothing bad happens and characters could die - except we know a certain character has to survive and escape.

Removes a lot of the tension. And far too much travel and battle filler. Another skirmish, great. More travel, brilliant. Another fight. More travel. Not exactly gripping.

Valid, but I mean, truly how else can you fill in these EU slots, give characters a role in the universe that is meaningless in both scope and time?

If you had no idea about Halo 5, I imagine you would be tense with the course of their story, although obviously because its all encompassing premise there is no way they could fail their mission (avoiding spoilers the best I can)

Maybe I am stupid or just unimaginative but, Arent all stories a cycle of point A -> conflict -> point B -> conflict -> Point C, etc ?

So then.... Halo 5 will have no tension, because we know that Master Chief will survive. Why bother even playing it?

We sure all a spoiled ass lot. No other game community on here has the fuckin devs on the message board with them. If they don't clarify every little goddamn thing while its in development, I guess you'll just have to suck it up and wait until they DO clarify it closer to launch. Like every other non-Halo game/franchise around here.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Look at Hunt The Truth. A small scale story but the best Halo story ever told.

I'm being specific here about repetitive chapters and actions. Stories do not need to include literal travelling. Halo books have not handled it well.

Sop many ambushes.

So then.... Halo 5 will have no tension, because we know that Master Chief will survive. Why bother even playing it?

Heroic sacrifice? Chief will not live to the end of the franchise. That's an almost sure bet.

Madness

We sure all a spoiled ass lot. No other game community on here has the fuckin devs on the message board with them. If they don't clarify every little goddamn thing while its in development, I guess you'll just have to suck it up and wait until they DO clarify it closer to launch. Like every other non-Halo game/franchise around here.

Always appreciative of that fact. It's not hard to have discussions without getting personally insulting or abusive towards other gamers, other people. 'They can kiss my ass after this' etc.

The increased two way communication is great, having guys like Frank, Josh post here, on Beyond. They don't need to either, it's not part of their job, but it's one thing I like. I made the analogy before, but it's like having the CEO of Ford or Chevy be on a car Forum having frank discussions about why a certain car is this way, how they wanted to improve it. We're all gamers, this is our hobby and as Halo fans, we should all just be discussing Halo good or bad.

I also would state they weren't dishonest or liars. It seems like they finally committed to no split screen and it's why it's cut. They're at the tail end of development with the game going gold in a couple of months, so who knows what the final game is like.

1. Guests will no longer plague your matchmaking experience
  2. We are gathering data on the players who enter the Halo 3 playlist and vote for Halo 3 in mixed playlists in TMCC so that we can ban them from Halo 5
  3. The Halo 1 Pistol returns as a power weapon on every single map
  4. New Power-up that replaces enemy weapons with Halo 3 BR's
  5. Motion tracker is replaced with a smiley face that changes emotions based on enemy proximity
  6. Default Promethean Vision as a designated button for Elite controllers only
  7. Now stfu and be happy you're not getting a version of Halo 2 again
Based Stinkles.

nillapuddin

Look at Hunt The Truth. A small scale story but the best Halo story ever told.

@HTT, amazing story yes. But I wouldnt say its a game level event.

the Ark being reactivated, Earth being picked apart for resources, and the Halo rings firing, is a game level event, even if it is nearly Halo 3: 2.

I kinda meant, its hard to give these EU characters a story that effects "Halo" and it not have some predetermined ending based on the continuation of the franchise.

Even though Kilo Five is blanket hated by most ( I dont agree ) I thought they got to do cool things in an "invisible hand" kind of way. HiTd is much more aggressive in the stakes.

Madness

#rekt

Split screen was important to me...in high school. I'll take 60 FPS over everything, you can't come back from that once you've tasted it!

Me neither, I don't think I've done split screen Halo since maybe a few matches of Halo 3, but in the thread, a few pointed out that if you weren't going to use it, you wouldn't care that they'd have to cut visual fidelity for those who wanted it. Question becomes, wouldn't you at least like option to play some form of split screen multi-player than have it cut altogether?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Because there is a 20 page thread of people thinking it was still in and they never clarified it? I didn't say he or 343 lied. I said the Studio was dishonest. How about the 14 day DLC promo? Was that honest? Clearly, they have had a difficult time connecting with the fan base. There are threads of HaloGAF people who feel the same way. You don't? Great, enjoy the game.

Without getting into semantic weeds here, nobody has been deliberately dishonest so please stop saying that. We cannot in the midst of development, start playing Dev diary by omission. There are hundreds of things we can't be clear about until decisions and tech are finalized.

There are lots of ways to discuss the Dev process, from wide open kimono kickstarter to complete monolithic silence. We, or rather I, prefer something in the middle because we value our community and its input.

Dishonesty is not even in the same moral ballpark as an inability to disclose, or a planned timeline of development dependent communication. But here I am again for the hundredth time asking folks to stop calling us liars and I doubt we'll go more than a couple of pages without it happening again.

I understand it in gaming where you see a bunch of first time "Halo fans" with Sony avatars making driveby trollls, but here in community it sucks the life out of my marrow to see the same folks, who really don't like Halo or 343 or change, negative and positive, spending incredible amounts of energy prostheltyzing their individual point of view and worse, pissing on people who refuse to conform or maybe, just maybe, are enjoying the game.

Instead of answering productive questions I'm doing this whiny shit.

Ramirez

Me neither, I don't think I've done split screen Halo since maybe a few matches of Halo 3, but in the thread, a few pointed out that if you weren't going to use it, you wouldn't care that they'd have to cut visual fidelity for those who wanted it. Question becomes, wouldn't you at least like option to play some form of split screen multi-player than have it cut altogether?

Me personally? I'd never use it, so I don't care. Sucks for those who want it, but I would have to imagine in this day and age, split screen gamers are a very low minority.

Do any major MP games coming this year have split screen? I know BF does for those little shitty "story" missions, but other than that?

...Instead of answering productive questions I'm doing this whiny shit.
tumblr_inline_ngfjebfB731rz44at.gif

Really though, this has to get tiresome after a while, mad respect to you for dealing with it.

They should have Kickstarter'd halo 5. Maybe the GAF could help fund splitscreen and hire honest developers.

It's pretty funny. I see we are in gang up mode now, not that anyone has factually disputed anything I said. I was as clear as I could be. The simple point is that MP split screen being cut was something they knew about even when the last thread was posted but did not clarify. Call it what you want. What is the point of having the devs and the community people post in here if thoughts about the game are left unclear?

"Well, they don't have to tell you everything about the development process, like, er, when core components of the experience get cut"

No instead, they can make a bunch of ViDocs about THE DEVELOPMENT process. Do we still even know the split between Chief and Locke, because the leaks were like 80% Locke.

How many people were under the impression that 2 player splitscreen was still in after the announcements at E3? How many times has 343 seen such posts and never clarified it isn't? I have never called Frank a liar. I expect he has better things to do than respond to this.

m23

Me personally? I'd never use it, so I don't care. Sucks for those who want it, but I would have to imagine in this day and age, split screen gamers are a very low minority.

Do any major MP games coming this year have split screen? I know BF does for those little shitty "story" missions, but other than that?

Pretty sure Gears remaster has it, not sure if that counts.

Computer

I just find it strange that Halo 2 Anniversary looks far superior to what we've seen with Halo 5.

I know, pre-release blah blah blah. But Halo 5's visuals have been very disappointing. What the hell is happening underneath that is causing them so many issues? Game won't even be 1080p.

Agreed. H2A is 1080p 60fps and looks much better then H5. What gives?

CODBLOPS3 should have it. Guess we'll see if that happens.

Without getting into semantic weeds here, nobody has been deliberately dishonest so please stop saying that. We cannot in the midst of development, start playing Dev diary by omission. There are hundreds of things we can't be clear about until decisions and tech are finalized.

There are lots of ways to discuss the Dev process, from wide open kimono kickstarter to complete monolithic silence. We, or rather I, prefer something in the middle because we value our community and its input.

Dishonesty is not even in the same moral ballpark as an inability to disclose, or a planned timeline of development dependent communication. But here I am again for the hundredth time asking folks to stop calling us liars and I doubt we'll go more than a couple of pages without it happening again.

I understand it in gaming where you see a bunch of first time "Halo fans" with Sony avatars making driveby trollls, but here in community it sucks the life out of my marrow to see the same folks, who really don't like Halo or 343 or change, negative and positive, spending incredible amounts of energy prostheltyzing their individual point of view and worse, pissing on people who refuse to conform or maybe, just maybe, are enjoying the game.

I can't even imagine how frustrating that has to be. The Halo threads should be places where we can come together to enjoy the franchises in one place... And thankfully there's the Halo Lore Thread for those of us who love these games for the depth of narrative... But there's thread after thread of anger and hate over the most literally trivial crap. You guys are pouring your hearts and time and energy into the largest halo yet, and it's getting shat on by random people who probably won't buy the game anyway, but THEY MUST VOICE THEIR DISPLEASURE.

"Well, they don't have to tell you everything about the development process, like, er, when core components of the experience get cut"

No instead, they can make a bunch of ViDocs about THE DEVELOPMENT process. Do we still even know the split between Chief and Locke, because the leaks were like 80% Locke.

Weird... That seems like something they'd save for us to experience when we actually play the game?

Stinkles

This isn't one that was easy to do. The number of folks who play split screen across campaign and mp isn't trivial, but ultimately we're making that change for the benefit of everyone, not just the majority or the vocal minority. So our responsibility has to be to make the single screen experience as good as it can possibly be, to justify or to attempt to justify that trade off.

Frank, I apologize for out right saying you guys were dishonest. Maybe that was to far. It isn't your job to appease everyone, I get that. In the future, I will not use such terms again however I will be honest about how I feel about the game. When I told my son tonight they cut splitscreen, he said, "They can build a huge rocket to go to the moon but they can't get splitscreen to work?" I imagine, I can simplify my position the way his 10 year old mind does sometimes. My point though about the communication stands though. These kinds or core things, when the community is all assholed up already after MCC could be a little clearer. Is that not fair? No hard feelings, I still remember you unbanning me and the kid a few years ago in grifball.

This isn't one that was easy to do. The number of folks who play split screen across campaign and mp isn't trivial, but ultimately we're making that change for the benefit of everyone, not just the majority or the vocal minority. So our responsibility has to be to make the single screen experience as good as it can possibly be, to justify or to attempt to justify that trade off.

We believe in you guys and girls! What you've shown off so far looks incredible.

Stinkles

Not to be a turd, but what's stopping you from smacking that ignore button? Is it the fact that gaming websites lurk GAF and you want to prevent negative press?

It just saddens me to see ya get upset over what a lot of us don't even take seriously around here.

Because even terrible evil people sometimes have good or interesting opinions. I'm not an ostrich, burying its head in the sand.

Frank, I apologize for out right saying you guys were dishonest. Maybe that was to far. It isn't your job to appease everyone, I get that. In the future, I will not use such terms again however I will be honest about how I feel about the game. When I told my son tonight they cut splitscreen, he said, "They can build a huge rocket to go to the moon but they can't get splitscreen to work?" I imagine, I can simplify my position the way his 10 year old mind does sometimes. My point though about the communication stands though. These kinds or core things, when the community is all assholed up already after MCC could be a little clearer. Is that not fair? No hard feelings, I still remember you unbanning me and the kid a few years ago in grifball.

Yeah. About that...

SYwUIbI.gif

Not exactly the moon, but... Space is still very hard.

--

Because even terrible evil people sometimes have good or interesting opinions. I'm not an ostrich, burying its head in the sand.

Sand physics in Halo 5 confirmed.

Stinkles

Thank you. No harm in complaining about decisions you disagree with, however.

nillapuddin

You didn't say anything about game level events you just asked how to fill out the EU.

Not all fiction has to be on a galactic scale. The galaxy at peril story has been done to death at this point.

the beginning of wesley and I's conversation was me saying "Game worthy in terms of importance I feel" about Hunters.

so just a missed signal there, i meant its hard to fill out the EU with galactic events that still have tension.

so yes I agree, galactic peril can be reserved for games, the tributaries best served for books.

so I guess my tl:dr,
surprised by the galactic scale for HiTd
am okay with the pacing although you make valid points
not surprised by lack of suspense
obvious certain characters will live
am okay with it
Halo

Madness

Let's see how you feel when the final resolution of the game becomes known or leaks, or once the DF article comes. It'll literally bring all discussion of 60fps, split screen, 'this looks like Halo 4' into it. I'm already dreading it myself.

Me personally, as long as the game legitimately improves on the past games, I'm happy. I'm not necessarily a numbers guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom