• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling v. Digital Homicide: The "Interview"

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I find it amazing that a person would spend so much time learning how to make games in Unity to have a Career in Game Development, but refuse to read the most basic "How To" article on Public and Press Relations.

That was juts painful, listening to the guy's helpers queuing up the smoking gun video clip, the whole thing.

Ilive1up

this guy wants people to tell him what is wrong with his games.

fix them yourself, you fucking inept moron. or just don't release them.

therapist

How'd i do?

i mean, just so bad. so bad.

he comes off as a silly manchild with next to no logic.

THOSE GUN SOUNDS ARE PROFESSIONAL THOUGH GUYS!

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.

Remember that he wants something positive as well to make it a 'fair criticism' or email him in the support email to tell him what to fix.

Not surprising he's as delusional and stubborn as he is, given the games he's released.

No sound minded person would release the stuff that he has and admit to it.

Brashnir

It's not just that, it's that he seems to believe that the only valid criticism of a game is pointing out bugs. As long as it technically does the thing it was supposed to do, it is beyond criticism.

The guy seems to live his life according to a series of distinct technicalities, with absolutely no regard to how anything around him actually works. It's no wonder his games lack any notion of cohesion.

Kacho

I managed to listen to the whole thing and I now have a headache. The guy was all over the place in the interview and never stayed focused on one of his points for long because Jim would quickly shoot it down. You could tell that he was so desperately going for an "aha gotcha!" moment and each one failed, sometimes with a long awkward silence as Jim tried to wrap his head around the stupidity in front of him. The "we're not so different, you and I" part was pure gold.

Hat's off to you Jim. I don't know how you kept at it for so long without losing your mind.

Mat-triX

What gamer would ever, EVER compliment the amount of 'code' a game has in relation to the sale price?

"There's so much code! yet it's so cheap! what a bargin!"

wiggleb0t

Banned
tumblr_lt62enjg1a1qbvqgko1_500.jpg

iMax

I love it when defensive people always go...

"well that's your opinion"

No shit, that's why I said it.

On topic, the part where Homicide says Jim publicly admitted that he rallied his fans to attack Homicide's Steam Community by interpreting a bit about breeding lab-species as some sort of allegory for an uprising—and Jim's reaction—was fucking gold.

UUUHHHMMMMM lol all i can hear is Egoraptor's impersonation now. This interview is actually crazy entertaining with the right amount of imagination.

All I can picture is this dude:

erlich.png

Apparently this is happening a lot.

ZVDi4PQ.jpg
I think I'm one of them, but I backed before I heard this podcast haha.

I think the moment that best sums up the video is the following exchange at the beginning:

"I'm definitely an adult, I'm 35 and I have three kids."
"Oh dear."

The video point at the start the guy tries to make to Jim about early videos not being the best quality when he worked at destructoid, akin to his early crappy games makes absolutely no sense.

Like what?

Why is the guy defending any of his work with this misplaced victim complex? He makes quick crap and puts it on for sale for quick cash then tries to cover the lack of effort with inexperience? Obviously that is a point to make being inexperienced but crude behaviour on his behalf made this entire thing come about.

Oh wait, now I'm at they didn't make only 4 videos, they've made 5. Now he's attacking him for making "low effort videos" and now the ad hominem that Jim doesn't understand complicated games. How does that relate back to any of things he has done?

All in 15 minutes. I am impressed by the amount of BS.

Satch

Banned
i just finished this

pretty cool interview
he sounded like your average gaf fanboy in every review thread
made all the same arguments lol

Fat4all

Banned
ffa1e089b8328988dde39800fc003bca6a6d488d32e64900b2f7791d70b967e4.jpg

My god.

Did no one... NO ONE in his life say to him "hey, maybe don't do this, it'll make you sound like a moronic knob-head and then it will be on the internet forever"?

Jesus christ...

"Leeches have all sorts of medical benefits. Leeches are great for society. The bad leeches though are the ones that suck blood"

"Did you even know there was a help menu?"

"Well that just goes to show why you're a bad person, man."

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
My god.

Did no one... NO ONE in his life say to him "hey, maybe don't do this, it'll make you sound like a moronic knob-head and then it will be on the internet forever"?

Jesus christ...

I have a friend who makes meh indie films who says the followings whenever you offer a criticism on his films:

- that's your opinion man
- I put a lot of effort into this so you can't say it's awful
- let's see you do better

I get the feeling that DH probably has been told the same thing to everyone in his real life and feels like he has something to prove despite being awful at it.

mbmonk

Game critics wouldn't exist without video games.. Paradoxically neither would game devs. Take that Sterling!

Mesoian

ffa1e089b8328988dde39800fc003bca6a6d488d32e64900b2f7791d70b967e4.jpg

My god.

Jesus christ...

If anything, it sounds like the complete opposite, a little bird in his ear constantly giving him positive reinforcement on results that are lacking at best.

ZarKryn7

Feel bad for the DH dude. The guy has douse himself with grudge and rage to the point where he brought up leeches, mutants, and fucking gunshots. Dear god. Who buys a game to listen to real gunshots, honestly? Dafuq? Daaaafuq?!?!?!?!

Edit: just got to the end.. Wow, that was actually beautiful in a way.

neshcom

Banned
"I never say something I haven't researched."
[later]
"It's actually pretty recent"
"(It's two years)"
"Oh, it's two years?"

edit - Oh my god, he didn't even play the entire sentence! My god, the delusion.

edit 2 - Oooooooh my god. Dude, c'mon!

"Her Story? What are you talking about"
"It's a game. It's a videogame."
"Ooooh, okay, I know what you're talking about."

Hjod

Banned
So if Jim were a super villain he would have an army of howler monkeys brandishing three foot purple dildos. I would watch that movie.

Brainsaw

Neo Member
This interview was golden and sad at the same time. While listening to it, I just couldn't stop thinking "I'm willing to pay bigtime for a version where Jim explains stuff to DH as he would teaching a 5-year old the basics of life". Just think about what that would be like. The sense of wonder that would be bestowed upon the guy would be akin to my first playthrough of King's Quest I as a 6 year old (who also had no knowledge of english at the time).

Sadly reality then hit me that this guy is 30 years overdue and already has children. It would still be comedy gold listening to a guy trying to wrap his head around this thing called "other people", because he obviously doesn't care about what other people get out of the money they pay him...

Alebelly

I did feel there was a point, in there somewhere, between DH guy sounding inebriated and seemingly trying to lay down some sort of grounds for a lawsuit, and then Jim dancing around it, knowing it might being a trap.

215241-dildo.jpg

Bluenoser

The dev's voice sounds so familiar. I can't place it.

But yeah, he just doesn't get it. It was the reaction to the criticism that started the shit storm.

I watched the Squirty play for Medevil Mercs and from a technical perspective, it looks like a lot more effort went into it than Slaughtering Grounds, but if the game is confusing as fuck. I watched Jim lose 3 times in a row and couldn't figure out how he lost or what he could have done differently. Sloppy game- it's clearly not FUN, and that's what a game should be.

Give up the dream Digital Homicide. Game development is not for everyone.

Alebelly

The dev's voice sounds so familiar. I can't place it.

But yeah, he just doesn't get it. It was the reaction to the criticism that started the shit storm.

I watched the Squirty play for Medevil Mercs and from a technical perspective, it looks like a lot more effort went into it than Slaughtering Grounds, but if the game is confusing as fuck. I watched Jim lose 3 times in a row and couldn't figure out how he lost or what he could have done differently. Sloppy game- it's clearly not FUN, and that's what a game should be.

Give up the dream Digital Homicide. Game development is not for everyone.

They don't even have to give up the dream, as shit as their games are, they just need to put together a resume, get hired somewhere, learn actual game development, learn that the world is bigger than a tinfoil hut. Then maybe revisit the scheme/dream.

legacyzero

Banned
Good show this was. And perfectly proves what an asshole DH is. The guy spent then entire conversation trying to turn everything back on Jim, hurt his credibility, etc, while Jim just sat there and laughed LOL

Top Bottom