• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling v. Digital Homicide: The "Interview"

Jito

Banned
This is pathetic, the guy throws out insults at Jim then get's pissy when Jim gives him shit back. Don't give it if you can't take it mate. What a fucking moron.

Oh god, I'm only 19 minutes in, this is horrible.

At some points this dude gets extremely extremely meanspirited about Jim's audience btw.

at around 1:24:20 he wasn't just insulting Jim, but outright stating that his fanbase is close-minded and aggressive.

So Jim gets 10k per month? That's a doctor's salary lol.
What kind of doctor are you thinking of haha. Maybe like primary care I guess?

At some points this dude gets extremely extremely meanspirited about Jim's audience btw.

at around 1:24:20 he wasn't just insulting Jim, but outright stating that his fanbase is close-minded and aggressive.
Eh, I didn't take it too personally because I'm sure there are some people who take it too far and those are probably the people harassing him

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I found this...disturbing.

The constant interruptions, the "no no no no no's".

This didn't feel like a chat, it felt like Jim was invited to be yelled at for 2 hours. I also don't really get the impression this guy actually gives much of a shit about the way other developers are affected by his criticism and fanbase. Seems more like he was throwing a temper tantrum over his personal situation. The points where he tries to capture Jim are embarrassingly childish as well.

I have to be honest, at the end when he admits to believing the talk will most likely only gain support for Jim's content, he is absolutely right. More importantly though, I think it will take away from DH's support. I won't give money to any project that child's name is attached to.

Saganator

Wait so... Digital Homicide is a legit company and makes money? I figured these games were made by young kids living off their parents money. Holy shit.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Wait so... Digital Homicide is a legit company and makes money? I figured these games were made by young kids living off their parents money. Holy shit.

Its a crazy thing to realize, especially from the perspective of someone who would love to make games with real effort put into them.

Its a big statement about Steam's curation of products as well.

Jito

Banned
Oh shit, what is this really cringey part where he tries to talk about his birth name? What the hell is this shit?

Valkrai

Its a crazy thing to realize, especially from the perspective of someone who would love to make games with real effort put into them.

Its a big statement about Steam's curation of products as well.

This interview is also a crazy thing to see. As someone who works a bit in PR and Community Management, it shows that you do need someone to do this to prevent trainwrecks like this. So much of this is just baffling to me, Digital Homicide can't be serious.

RMI

Banned
i can't believe i've listened to this whole thing. I don't know why Jim talked to this guy for so long, he's ridiculous. His entire argumentative strategy is to latch onto an incorrect or inaccurate assumption or comparison and not let go. It's infuriating.

Tubie

I listened to the whole thing, holy shit.

The part where he says he's 35 and has 3 children followed by an "Oh dear" by Jim was pure fucking gold.

That guy said so many things that made no sense and then at times would just act like 12 year old and make fun of Jim Sterling and his audience. And just like a 12 year old whenever Jim countered him with facts the guy would just talk louder and try to use insane logic to refute Jim.

I think the best part was the guy being all angry at Jim because he "lied" and said Digital Homocide had put out 4 games in 18 months, when in fact they've put out 5 games in that time frame. Like that guy didn't even realize that's worse in the context of churning out low quality games Jim was using.

Alienous

Professional gun sounds, guys.

It's like the DH guy isn't aware that audio-mixing is a thing. Putting stock gun sound effects into a game doesn't make it sound good. You'll see actual developers toil over that, mixing gun sounds to get the right punch for a certain weapon, and having systems that morph any gun sounds depending on the environment and distance they come from relative to the player.

It's like thinking that you can take a picture of a television and paste that imagine onto a model with the dimensions of that television and ignore material shaders, or making sure that it scales appropriately with the environment.

Calling the DH guy a hack would be a compliment. He literally does not know what he is doing. He thinks he can and has 'learnt code', and therefore nothing he does after that can be at fault. He basically says that the amount of code, thousands of lines, that make his games possible is a selling point. What? Dude, economizing your code, making it as minimal as it can be while providing all of the planned functionality, that's where pride regarding your code should come from. Writing thousands and thousands of lines of code to produce nothing of worth is a failure, not an accolade.

Kanann

Apparently this is happening a lot.

ZVDi4PQ.jpg

oh dear..............sterling's 3 fu.king sons

holygeesus

Banned
I think you guys should lace up the gloves and duke it out in a Uwe Boll/Critics stylee.

Seriously though, I have to admit, that giving this developer a voice (literal one) and a background, also makes me feel a little sorry for him. I'm not denying he is deluded, but the thought of this guy having to make games like this sell, to feed his family, is a little depressing.

Also, great to hear Jim is gaining more Patreon-age.

Brashnir

I do like how the guy keeps equating "bad quality" to "indie" & then acts like Jim's the one claiming they're the same.

I really wish Jim had been able to list off a number of indie games by first-time developers that turned out really well, but it's understandable that he didn't go into the interview with that information at-hand, since why would he expect to need it?

kewlmyc

It felt like the whole thing was getting nowhere, so clocked out at 22 minutes. Might download it and listen to the rest later.

Wensih

i can't believe i've listened to this whole thing. I don't know why Jim talked to this guy for so long, he's ridiculous. His entire argumentative strategy is to latch onto an incorrect or inaccurate assumption or comparison and not let go. It's infuriating.

It's pretty simple why he talked to the guy for so long.

ZVDi4PQ.jpg

It's internet drama.

Oh gosh what a disaster on the Digital Homicide guy's part.

Just, what a train wreck. And he doesn't' even seem to realize that he's digging himselff into an even worse hole.

Steroyd

It's pretty simple why he talked to the guy for so long.

ZVDi4PQ.jpg

It's internet drama.

The irony is that this is all enabled from DH's side, DH had the meltdown, DH tried to sue, DH pestered Jim for the interview, heck the "interview" itself was the DH guy trying to trap Jim into an imaginary corner, meanwhile Jim justs, sits there and lets the guy's actions speak for itself.

Sweet mother of god... this is both fascinating and unbearable, I have to listen it in 30-minute stretches before the frustration gets too much.

I can't believe this artist is trying to lawyer himself out of a bad review... I mean, what's his endgame? That Jim Fucking Sterling is discredited and he's hailed a hero of the indie community? After all that epic struggle, even if he wins, his games will still be shallow crap stitched together from other people's assets.

Why doesn't he put his energy in, I don't know, improving his development skills and games?

DH: "What you do can ruin people in hours. You seem to think it's amusing and that's why this is so malicious. What you do and when you think it's always 'oh it's no big deal', you prove it everytime you open your mouth."

JS: "You attempt to prove malice but there is no malice until, again, maliciousness is thrown my way. Again, you are the guys that escalated this. I covered the game, I don't cover every game, I went in blind, I gave my impressions..."

DH: (interrupting) "Thank you, thank you for saying that... It's not that we're special. You attack everybody that you come in contact with..."

JS: (interrupting) "That's not true..."

DH: "Except games that you deem are worthy. But the only reason you deem that they're worthy is that they already got positive reviews on their game and you go with the bandwagon."

JS: "Right because I was the very first person to review Her Story and I was very positive about it and now everybody is calling it game of the year material. So that..."

DH: (interrupting) "Her story? What are you talking about?"

JS: (pause) "It's a game. It's a videogame."

DH: "Oh, okay, I know what videogame you're talking about. Actually that brings me to something... do you know Courtney Stanton?"

...and on, and on, in circles and madness.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I thought he was talking about Courtney Sterling, the author of some books about young girls fucking their step dad/brother.

Soodanim

Just finished listening to the whole thing. Jim, you did well to maintain calm while being interrupted every other sentence, it's the height of rudeness. The constant circling back and strange, flawed logic is near-excruciating to sit through, but at least having to repeat yourself several times is broken up by the occasional laughable accusation.

The man is 35 and is raising 3 kids, that's the worst bit about this.

ElRenoRaven

Good god. I've heard some idiots but um yea I feel sorry for Jim for having dealt with such goddamn stupidity. I'd have lost my mind just dealing with their bullshit in the interview. There is absolutely no logic to their arguments at all.

Aroll

Wow, this guy talking to Jim is an idiot. He just tried to compare content ID claims to takedown claims - which are two separate issues. Nintendo content ID's our YT videos all the time. They don't take them down and we don't make income off them on YT - and we're OKAY with that since that's not how we make money.

He called game reviewers a leech. You know what happens if the media stops covering your games? No one knows they exist. Media and games (even if that media is just twitch streams etc) need each other. They leech off each other. Most of the indie games that take off out there take off BECAUSE of the media.

Jim Sterling may not always have his facts 100% correct and of course he won't know as much as the people who actually make the games, but it just comes off as whiny. The developer basically doesn't like Jim because Jim doesn't like his games and states as much.

ElRenoRaven

Wow, this guy talking to Jim is an idiot. He just tried to compare content ID claims to takedown claims - which are two separate issues. Nintendo content ID's our YT videos all the time. They don't take them down and we don't make income off them on YT - and we're OKAY with that since that's not how we make money.

He called game reviewers a leech. You know what happens if the media stops covering your games? No one knows they exist. Media and games (even if that media is just twitch streams etc) need each other. They leech off each other. Most of the indie games that take off out there take off BECAUSE of the media.

Jim Sterling may not always have his facts 100% correct and of course he won't know as much as the people who actually make the games, but it just comes off as whiny. The developer basically doesn't like Jim because Jim doesn't like his games and states as much.

Pretty much. Actually makes me sad listening to this fool. If I didn't know better I'd think he was 12 years old and not an adult in his 30s.

May16

I'll be the studio that did the gunshot sound effects was like "Oh jeez, oh jeez, no, do not do this, guy, no, no, do not bring us into this, don't make us a part of your...daaaaaamn it!"

The party the got me was how proud the Digital Homicide guy was that he had released five products in 18 months, and has no concern about quality.

And then he turns around and wants Jim to recognize how "hard" he works on said games.

So ah... do a lot of games only have 3-month development cycles?

Aroll

Pretty much. Actually makes me sad listening to this fool. If I didn't know better I'd think he was 12 years old and not an adult in his 30s.

Pretty much. Most of his complaints about Jim "not having facts 100% accurate, leeching, etc" are also %100 true of people who are talking positively about his games. Is he doing content takedowns on them too? Of course not - it's positive press. It's helping his game sell.

He's only going after someone who thinks 3 of their 5 games are trash - and Jim SHOWS you how they are trash right there on the screen. He's not making it up, he's showing you why he thinks it's bad. You can disagree and some do, but that's the nature of opinions. The guy arguing against Jim is failing to realize that the issue here that he has isn't really that Jim is using footage of his games, it's that Jim doesn't LIKE his games. He tries to make it about the "content being shown" - but that's not it at all. He's just trying to attack Jim the entire time, while Jim takes it like a champ. He's using the internet dictionary crap for crying out loud. What the hell is this, a 4chan pissing match?

It is entertaining for me, at least. I don't always agree with Jim, but I respect the fact he's sincere. He doesn't bullshit you. I find it hilarious when the other guy is talking about how he doesn't make much money and "whoa is me, you're making me poor Jim" - when he conveniently forgets that one of the first things he says in this "interview" is that "you'd be surprised with how many games we sell. It would shock you" in a tone that suggests his games are selling more copies than anyone would reasonably guess based on following Jim. But if they are selling so well, then why do you turn around and say you make very little money? You can't have good sales and barely any income. That doesn't add up. One of many contradictions that I find hilarious.

I'm only a bit of the way through this so far but I find it sad the Digital Homicide guy thinks he's doing well. He really sounds like he's proud of everything he's saying.

Gbraga

I'm listening to it, and I really just honestly don't get most of the points the dude is trying to make.

OH, SO YOU ADMIT YOU'RE MAKING MONEY OFF OF YOUR VIDEOS YOU MAKE FOR FUN, AND NOT ONLY THOSE YOU HEAVILY RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING?

Someone link him the PewDiePie thread, he'll be surprised.

Top Bottom