• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling v. Digital Homicide: The "Interview"

Dr.Acula

Banned
Can I get a quick summary as someone who isn't familliar with Jimquisition (he's a reviewer that uses Nazi fascist imagery *ironically* or something) and Digital Homicide (they made a zombie game?). I've been listening to this phone call but I don't get what's going on really.

edit: tvtropes sez:
In "Review Scores Are Not Evil" Jim contemplates his new black leather gloves, and he comments that they make him look like a fascist dictator, and that he doesn't enjoy this fact

At the end of "Review Scores Are Not Evil." This was after saying he bought his new black gloves because they went with his tie, and not because he wanted to look like some kind of dictator or Nazi who lords his power over others.

So his fascist character is a review thing like "Angry" Joe, okay, I get it now.

Brashnir

Can I get a quick summary as someone who isn't familliar with Jimquisition (he's a reviewer that uses Nazi imagery or something) and Digital Homicide (they made a zombie game?). I've been listening to this phone call but I don't get what's going on really.

what?

Dr.Acula

Banned

I dunno, I looked him up on google and he looks like this:

3ubpFXJ.jpg

Again, I have zero, no knowledge of this guy, I'm going in fresh here.

Can I get a quick summary as someone who isn't familliar with Jimquisition (he's a reviewer that uses Nazi imagery or something) and Digital Homicide (they made a zombie game?). I've been listening to this phone call but I don't get what's going on really.
Why don't you just look at his channel before accusing him off something that fucked up.

Wow the delusion with these guys is unreal...

If anything they need to make a video of them beating a Dead Horse for a few hours only for it to rise briefly after the hours long beating just to show how completely incompetent they are.... But the fact will remain that they still beat a dead horse in the first place....

And they lost... They have no credibility as developers or normal functioning humans....

Guy is in his 30's with 3 kids... I would shudder at the thoughts of how he parents and rationalises with his kids....

You should totally work for Fox News... Your perception is obviously right up their alley... Let me show you a ISIS flag clearly made of dildos.

Seems like the main defense of DH was, "I'm not going to answer questions about the issues you've brought up, instead I'm going to deflect them back to you and make them seem like your problems." Dude might make a good politician.

Matty77

This newest video of DH doubling down on the idiocy further illustrates the point I was trying to make in my other posts. There is no reason to feel bad for these guys and Jim is not "orchestrating harassment".

They could not take criticism and bad reactions (which does not need a Sterling to instigate, just look how GAF tears into things a majority decides sucks) so they they think they are fighting some kind of good fight when all they are doing is putting more and more focus on themselves and more and more reason for Internet types who like mob mentality to rip them.

So yeah, I hope this illustrates to people including those I have replied to in this thread, from making shit games to this latest lunacy all of this stems from their own action, no reason to feel bad for these guys.

I do think there are a few valid points made...albeit poorly.

1) If 'gamers' understood how much time and effort was put into making games, then maybe people might understand how hard it is to make games, especially if you're an indie game developer.

2) There is a big difference between making a YouTube video and making a game.

3) There is a big difference between insulting an entire company and a team consisting of three or so people.

4) There isn't anything wrong with using Unity assets especially if you're a starting indie developer.

5) jim should follow up with some of his claims or research a bit more into the topic more. Jim has made some pretty bad videos.

I think Robs harassment point is legitimate but he is directing it at the wrong person. When Jim Sterling makes his videos, they are critiques but not attacks. It's the fans (gamers) who love the hate and will harass the hell out of someone regardless of how the developer feels. I think it's interesting to hear how much harassment has effected him and his users on forums.

Well i disagree on some points

1) If i buy a commercial product , there is ALWAYS , some R&D involved. there is , always some production time involved. i buy a toaster ? That model probably must have ran countless tests in order to not be harmfull to people , not to mention several prototypes for designs or ergonomy. My point is : No product comes out fine on the first attempt. Everything is the product of hard work. but the consommer doesn't care. It will buy that product if the price is right and if it works.
Slaughtering grounds was none of that , in a game with multiples guns, multiples ammo types weren't even coded..the consommer doesn't care that he suffered 3 months to produce this , the buyer will care about the collision bugs, the looping musics , the sound effects missing and the artistic mess. So no , the consummer won't care, even if it understands.
Creed unity was bugued , yet 500+ people worked on it for 2+ years..it's not about hard work , it's about delivering a working product.

5) jim make mistakes like every other being. there is only so much you can do when you actually refuse to talk. The fact that slaughtering ground is their second game and not the first is irrelevant

May16

Can I get a quick summary as someone who isn't familliar with Jimquisition (he's a reviewer that uses Nazi fascist imagery *ironically* or something)
Um?

That banner was designed by a NeoGAF member. And why is it "fascist"? Because it's red white and black?

I suppose the old Buffalo Sabres were fascists as well?
Buffalo_Sabres_Old6.jpg

I made it about 30 minutes in. That dude is an idiot.

How can you shit out FIVE fucking games in a year and then get upset when people criticize them? What the hell do you expect?

Cheerilee

Um?

That banner was designed by a NeoGAF member. And why is it "fascist"? Because it's red white and black?

I suppose the old Buffalo Sabres were fascists as well?
http://sabreshockeycentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Buffalo_Sabres_Old6.jpg

There's no question that Jim's persona deliberately gives off a certain evil vibe. Dr.Acula is not an expert on it. He doesn't even know Jim. It's fine for him to ask "Nazi or something?" "Fascist or something?" "Some sort of dictator?" No need for people to get their panties in a bunch.

XenoRaven

The first thing I thought of the first time I saw a Jimquisition video was that he looked like a fascist dictator preaching from a podium. I don't think Acula meant Jim is actually trying to invoke Nazi imagery.

What an interview. Like others have said, massive cringe and the DH guy is fucking off his rocker.

But at the end of the day, I really don't think Jim should have done this. No one won here, even if Jim totally did. There's just...no one came out looking professional here.

I'm a fan of Jim's, have been for awhile, but both parties should have let this go ages ago, and since the DH guy is a crazy pants, the first person to block/ignore should have been Jim.

Galdere

Neo Member
Here’s what I presume is key to this encounter, from forcing myself to listen through it.

This Dev has had massive amount of refunds from the first two weeks of that being possible, when they could be backdated to any previous purchase from Steam store. This has left them with quite a large negative amount on their account with Valve. They now need to sell a lot to see any return. They rightly and wrongly blame Jim for this. For being so famously bad, they did better than they really should have, but now with Steam refunds and how they were implemented they are fucked. They wanted this retaliation as publicity to try to help themselves out of that hole.

meanspartan

I was excited to hear Jim bring the smackdown at first but....this was just painful.

Jim of course out argued DH guy but nobody really looked good here. Jim shoulda cut it off 30 minutes in.

What an interview. Like others have said, massive cringe and the DH guy is fucking off his rocker.

But at the end of the day, I really don't think Jim should have done this. No one won here, even if Jim totally did. There's just...no one came out looking professional here.

I'm a fan of Jim's, have been for awhile, but both parties should have let this go ages ago, and since the DH guy is a crazy pants, the first person to block/ignore should have been Jim.

I can't really blame him for agreeing to the interview, after everything the DH guy's done it does make you wonder who the actual person behind all that stuff is.

I've found it a weirdly interesting insight in how some people take criticism.

Fat4all

Banned
I was excited to hear Jim bring the smackdown at first but....this was just painful.

Jim of course out argued DH guy but nobody really looked good here. Jim shoulda cut it off 30 minutes in.

If Jim would of done that the DH guys would just keep asking for more and more interviews, saying things like how he "chicken out" of the first one.

It's better he let them get all their shit out of their systems the first time, so they have nothing to come back with. It's better for it to be one giant interview than dragging it out even more.

Fat4all

Banned
Unfortunately it looks like this won't ever be over.

DH will always be a pain, but now Jim doesn't have to worry about them anymore. He gave them a full interview, he has no obligation to them anymore.

I don't doubt that if DH makes a few more games and he reviews them, DH will throw a stink, but Jim can approach it all on his terms to address if he wants. It'd probably be good for Jim anyway. This feud pulls in a lot of views and it'd probably be good for his Patreon as well.

red731

Digital suicide, not even seppuku - that's with honor. Here is none.
Also reality perceptor is broken for them aka that tweet.

I had to stop listening after about 40 minutes. This was just a long and drawn out argument over semantics and the definitions of words. This interview/debate was pretty worthless to all parties involved.

danm999

Best thing that Digital Homicide guy could do is let this go.

He's just giving Jim more positive exposure, and given Jim makes his money through Patreon, is just helping out his business.

Conversely, he's driving his own business into the ground. Digital Homicide will forever after be branded as the babies who couldn't take any criticism.

Converse

Banned
I feel like the Blade quote "Some motherfuckers are always tryin' to ice skate uphill." fits this situation.

Man, this is such an appropriate application of that quote. Really, the best thing the Digital Homicide guy could've done is kept quiet about Jim's commentary, enjoyed the inordinate amount of free publicity (which surely led to sales out of sheer morbid curiousity) and quietly continued to improve his skills as a developer. The best victory for DH in this situation would've been eventual success, or even personal pride in the work.

But this is a mess for him, and he seems to not understand any of it. It's a bizarre catch-22; when you're capable of being so completely destroyed on an intellectual level, you're also incapable of grasping the fact that you've been so completely destroyed.

Tubie

Here’s what I presume is key to this encounter, from forcing myself to listen through it.

This Dev has had massive amount of refunds from the first two weeks of that being possible, when they could be backdated to any previous purchase from Steam store. This has left them with quite a large negative amount on their account with Valve. They now need to sell a lot to see any return. They rightly and wrongly blame Jim for this. For being so famously bad, they did better than they really should have, but now with Steam refunds and how they were implemented they are fucked. They wanted this retaliation as publicity to try to help themselves out of that hole.

That's probably true.

I'm guessing a lot of people buy the shitty games Jim plays just to see how shitty the games are for themselves, but now they can just get a refund right away,

I don't think your scenario is that plausible given they explicitly ask Jim Sterling to stop playing their games because with the refunds system in place there is no need for a third party telling people how bad a game is, because if you as a customer consider it bad or not worth the money you spent you can get instantly refunded.

A more telling part of the interview was that they thought Jim Sterling had been key begging - presumably because someone had been claiming to be Jim Sterling while begging for free stuff.
Its entirely possible they thought this was one of those shakedowns ("Give me a free key 'for the exposure or I will shit all over your game publically") given they obviously don't know who Jim Sterling is.

*Checks Patreon account*

Oh, I won.

I very much won.

;)

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't directly follow their shenanigans, but I heard secondhand a couple of 'em tried to defend Six Nights At Suzie's a few months back.

Six Night's a what?

I mean, it's obvious it's a rip-off of Five Night's at Freddy's but... WHAT!?

Jigorath

Banned
Numbers of patrons have gone up significantly. Obviously, if you're just intermittently checking in and seeing "$10k" each time, you won't see the difference, but I've seen the significant uptick in patrons funding small dollar amounts.

I edited my comment. This sort of thing is none of my business.

Happy for you though.

Top Bottom