• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YESSSS x2! AVATAR trailer #2 is NOW LIVE!!!! (mark ALL spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Resettito said:
OMG!

Read this:

Watch it in HD, pause on shots like when Jake stands up and sees his feet moving, when he says "it's great", or even on Neytiri, it really is realistic, watch for all the subtle things.

And you all say that it doesn't look realistic because of the colours, very colourful, if it was darker, it would look more realistic (but it already looks realistic)
I agree.

That's exactly what I have been doing for the last hour. So amazing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Eccocid said:
to be honest after reading about Ridley Scott is going to direct a prequel to ALIEN i lost my faith to all other sci fi movies
The old guard may now be questionable, but there's new guys coming up. Duncan Jones (Mute) and Neill Blomkamp (District 9) are both planning other original sci-fi films. Nolan's doing Inception. Joseph Kosinski (TRON Legacy) is planning a big original one.

At the very least, sci-fi is definitely coming back into popularity in Hollywood. Some of it is bound to be good.

Tieno

The trailer is really good and very convincing. I love the entire premise, it's like the next step after the movie Contact. I know I'm going to love the entire humans getting into contact with a new alien civilization cause it's one of those things I always fantasize about.

Plot outline
The story’s protagonist, Jake Sully, is a former Marine who was wounded and paralyzed from the waist down in combat on Earth. Jake is selected to participate in the Avatar program, which will give him a healthy body. Jake travels to Pandora, a lush rainforest-covered extraterrestrial moon filled with incredible life forms – some beautiful, many terrifying. Pandora is also home to the Na’vi, a sentient humanoid race that humans consider primitive, but are actually more evolutionarily advanced than humans. Standing ten feet tall, with tails and sparkling blue skin, the Na’vi live in harmony with their unspoiled world. As humans encroach deeper into Pandora's forests in search of valuable minerals, the Na’vi unleash their formidable warrior abilities to defend their threatened existence.
Jake has unwittingly been recruited to become part of this encroachment. Since humans are unable to breathe the air on Pandora, they have created genetically-bred human-Na’vi hybrids known as Avatars. The Avatars are living, breathing bodies that are controlled by a human 'driver' through a technology that links the driver’s mind to their Avatar body. On Pandora, through his Avatar body, Jake can be whole once again. Sent deep into Pandora's jungles as a scout for the soldiers that will follow, Jake encounters many of Pandora beauties and dangers. There he meets a young Na’vi female, Neytiri, whose beauty is matched by her ferocity in battle.
Over time, Jake integrates himself into Neytiri's clan, and begins to fall in love with her. As a result, Jake finds himself caught between the military-industrial forces of Earth, and the Na’vi – forcing him to choose sides in an epic battle that will decide the fate of an entire worl

Alucard

Banned
Dan said:
The old guard may now be questionable, but there's new guys coming up. Duncan Jones (Mute) and Neill Blomkamp (District 9) are both planning other original sci-fi films. Nolan's doing Inception. Joseph Kosinski (TRON Legacy) is planning a big original one.

At the very least, sci-fi is definitely coming back into popularity in Hollywood. Some of it is bound to be good.

I'm excited to see what Scott does with The Forever War. I was pretty neutral towards the book, but it would make for some great film shots.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Anyone else get this eerie feeling when looking at Neytiri or even Jake's avatar?
Neytiri for instance, at 1:27, so realistic, I don't see CGI. I see a real life, alien.

Or as indicated above, when Jake says "It's great". It's just eerie how realistic it is.

For me, James Cameron delivered heavily.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Alucard said:
I'm excited to see what Scott does with The Forever War. I was pretty neutral towards the book, but it would make for some great film shots.
Yeah, I think that's one Scott might actually be able to pull off, but we'll see if he even makes it since he's got a dozen projects in development and half are sure to never get touched.

bengraven

Jibril said:
Anyone else get this eerie feeling when looking at Neytiri or even Jake's avatar?
Neytiri for instance, at 1:27, so realistic, I don't see CGI. I see a real life, alien.

Or as indicated above, when Jake says "It's great". It's just eerie how realistic it is.

Really?

I'm still disappointed in the aliens. They appaear way too humanoid. I'm fine with thier body structure(for all we know, it is the most conductive to intelligence), but the facial features are way too human.

Based on that trailer alone, it doesn't deserve Sculli's orgasm everytime he talks about it.

alternade

So I just watched it in 1080p and its still doing nothing for me. I don't think Na'vi look that alien or interesting, infact i'm pretty sure i've seen something VERY close to them before. The CG is still not up to where I thought it would be. It has the problem that all modern CG has, in that its plastic looking or the sun is to vibrant on it. Skin doesn't look like that.

I mean I probably will go see it, but will this be the revolution in cinema Sculli, Cameron, and the hype machine make it out to be? I'm betting towards not.

showed my parents the trailer:

Dad: kind of shrugged and walked away, says "looks interesting"

Mom: says not something she would want to see and it "looks very odd, kind of like Jumanji"

dmshaposv

Tieno said:
Plot outline
The story’s protagonist, Jake Sully, is a former Marine who was wounded and paralyzed from the waist down in combat on Earth. Jake is selected to participate in the Avatar program, which will give him a healthy body. Jake travels to Pandora, a lush rainforest-covered extraterrestrial moon filled with incredible life forms – some beautiful, many terrifying. Pandora is also home to the Na’vi, a sentient humanoid race that humans consider primitive, but are actually more evolutionarily advanced than humans. Standing ten feet tall, with tails and sparkling blue skin, the Na’vi live in harmony with their unspoiled world. As humans encroach deeper into Pandora's forests in search of valuable minerals, the Na’vi unleash their formidable warrior abilities to defend their threatened existence.
Jake has unwittingly been recruited to become part of this encroachment. Since humans are unable to breathe the air on Pandora, they have created genetically-bred human-Na’vi hybrids known as Avatars. The Avatars are living, breathing bodies that are controlled by a human 'driver' through a technology that links the driver’s mind to their Avatar body. On Pandora, through his Avatar body, Jake can be whole once again. Sent deep into Pandora's jungles as a scout for the soldiers that will follow, Jake encounters many of Pandora beauties and dangers. There he meets a young Na’vi female, Neytiri, whose beauty is matched by her ferocity in battle.
Over time, Jake integrates himself into Neytiri's clan, and begins to fall in love with her. As a result, Jake finds himself caught between the military-industrial forces of Earth, and the Na’vi – forcing him to choose sides in an epic battle that will decide the fate of an entire worl

So basically this is Dances with Wolves: Furry edition?

Zeliard

DanielPlainview said:

Mom: says not something she would want to see and it "looks very odd, kind of like Jumanji"

nyaa81.jpg

Tim-E

Resettito said:
OMG!

Read this:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/The-Avatar-Trailer-Sucks-But-Don-t-Give-Up-Hope-14448.html

This is just a fucking trailer, you'll be able to judge once you HAVE SEEN the 15 minutes, you have to see the scenes and not just shots of 4, 5 seconds. This is exactly what is said in this link:

"I get that they're trying to follow up on the promises that Avatar looks like nothing ever has, and would rather show off as many flashy scenes as possible rather than ease you into this world. But the Quicktime format is so limiting, especially for a 3D movie, that the impact of all the CGI wizardry is muted anyway. Already people are complaining that Sam Worthington's Avatar doesn't look realistic, that the blue skin looks fake, because they haven't had enough time to see it move like a human, hear it talk, or see it respond to its world. Having seen it in Hall H, I promise it works. It just needs time to settle in, and just by showing one complete scene at Comic Con, they sold the effect entirely. Cutting together all the random scenes in the trailer just makes you more disoriented."

Watch it in HD, pause on shots like when Jake stands up and sees his feet moving, when he says "it's great", or even on Neytiri, it really is realistic, watch for all the subtle things.

And you all say that it doesn't look realistic because of the colours, very colourful, if it was darker, it would look more realistic (but it already looks realistic)

You sound like fucking Peter Molyneux. Actually, everything about the hype pre-trailer sounds like shit he would say. Nothing but pie-in-the-sky hyperbole has surrounded this movie. The story isn't revolutionary. The character designs look ugly, as do the humans-on-CG shots. With the 3D it might be a fun experience, but this movie doesn't sound like the experience it was hyped to be.

dmshaposv

DanielPlainview said:

My friend thought it was the supposed big screen World of Warcraft adaptation.

In any case I still BELIEVE in jimbo.

DanielPlainview said:

Jumanji?

harSon

Banned
DanielPlainview said:

My dad really liked the trailer when I streamed it to an HD television, but then again, we have similar tastes in films.

Jibril said:

:lol

Seriously?

btw where's Sculli

Willco said:

:lol :lol :lol Ouch.

bengraven said:
Tribes vs. technology! It's just another Return of the Jedi, Phantom Menace, Delgo, District 9, Kaena, Atlantis, (or Strings for you ingrates that never saw that film) ripoff.

It's sad this is Cameron, a man who has shown originality numerous times in the past.

I think the problem is that this movie would have been a lot more original had it been made shortly after Cameron first wrote it. Whether or not that would have been possible is moot. Science fiction and fantasy in films, video games, and anime have completely covered this ground in the last 20 years. Now it's old hat and Cameron is late to the party. Hopefully, it will still be a fun movie.

jett

D-Member
Tim-E said:
You sound like fucking Peter Molyneux. Actually, everything about the hype pre-trailer sounds like shit he would say. Nothing but pie-in-the-sky hyperbole has surrounded this movie. The story isn't revolutionary. The character designs look ugly, as do the humans-on-CG shots. With the 3D it might be a fun experience, but this movie doesn't sound like the experience it was hyped to be.

To be fair it wasn't James Cameron doing the hyping(he has even said several times that Avatar isn't the "revolution" some people expect), but people like Scullibundo.

To all the people saying that the aliens look too human... you do realize that they have to have some resemblance to humans for the audience to feel as emotionally connected to them as possible? I'm not saying it's impossible to feel emotionally connected to a character that doesn't share traits with humans, but, I can definitely see why they went in that direction and think it was the best choice.

I mean, if they all looked like the District 9 aliens, their emotions wouldn't be able to be read as easily and as a result a lot of emotionally scenes would fall completely flat.

God that plot summary is just abysmal if it's true. Why would somebody with no legs decide to be another species on another planet? How is that gonna help him at all? Hey Ma, I can walk again. Too bad I can't talk to you or see anyone I love anymore cause I'm a furry on planet Zumabooma. Why don't they transfer his brain to a human body? If this new species is so tribal and unadvanced then why bother scouting them? That's so stupid it's making my head spin. Such forced conflict. Such forced metaphors. You see, the marine came to the planet with one thing in mind, but NOW he understands the repercussions of his side's actions and he's gonna have to save the day! You see, the alien planet is a blatant metaphor for Earth! Neat-o.

Resettito

Neo Member
This is just so annoying to read stuff like this, YOU SAW 2 FUCKING MINUTES OF A MOVIE! OMG, this is so laughable, everywhere I go, there are so many judging the film, go watch the 15 minutes, and then you can talk. Jesus Christ, and whatever I don't care if being realistic or not (but it is, despite what you can say), what I care about is an original and beautiful world.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Zeliard said:
Look, you've seen tons of CGI, been exposed to it in various video games, movies, etc, and the average person hasn't necessarily had this experience.
FFS, what exactly is it that you think "average" people do? Every single CG-laden summer blockbuster that sells 100s of millions in tickets, who are those sales to, not average people? You're building one hell of a strawman here.

Next strawman:

You very likely initially judged the trailer in comparison to other CGI that you've seen.
No, I am not. What I compared it to was my visual sense of reality. Seeing that the movie does not seem to involve some reality so far flung from the natural laws of our own that they cannot be compared, compare I did.

You'd have to show the trailer to your parents or co-workers or someone of that effect to get that reaction. A neutral party who's completely detached from both the film and CGI tech in general.
Yeah, because I couldn't possibly have ever done that before :rolleyes

I'm familiar with how they react. I know they're capable of saying something doesn't look realistic without knowing the specific reasons why or doing any further analysis than that.

FoneBone

jett said:
To be fair it wasn't James Cameron doing the hyping(he has even said several times that Avatar isn't the "revolution" some people expect), but people like Scullibundo.
Go back a year or two, and he was reeling off hyperbole like any of the fanboys.

no wonder James could never get the right cut of the trailer. you can't show entire scenes but you can't just show small 5 second clips for 2 minutes. When the impressions from the 16 minute preview come out they'll be much more positive.

MisterAnderson said:
To all the people saying that the aliens look too human... you do realize that they have to have some resemblance to humans for the audience to feel as emotionally connected to them as possible? I'm not saying it's impossible to feel emotionally connected to a character that doesn't share traits with humans, but, I can definitely see why they went in that direction and think it was the best choice.

I mean, if they all looked like the District 9 aliens, their emotions wouldn't be able to be read as easily and as a result a lot of emotionally scenes would fall completely flat.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Yes, you need some kind of human-like features, like eyeballs and or a mouth, but that's about it. Pixar (who gave completely convincing emotions to a desk lamp) and many many others would completely disagree with your premise.

Blader

jett said:

Someone just cited Cameron from the Ubisoft panel a couple months ago, saying that watching Avatar is like "dreaming with your eyes open."

I think Cameron has downplayed the story side of it, but he has been hyping the CG and tech just as much as anyone else.

CassidyIzABeast said:
no wonder James could never get the right cut of the trailer. you can't show entire scenes but you can't just show small 5 second clips for 2 minutes. When the impressions from the 16 minute preview come out they'll be much more positive.

From what I understand, didn't they show 15 minutes of footage at comic con and everyone was blown away?

Tim-E

jett said:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40395

Harry,

Good to hear from you. As usual the rumor mill is grinding out mostly spurious stuff. I have no plans at present to go to Showest, and in any event we have decided not to unveil material there.

As to the trailer story, I have no idea where that came from but I haven't rejected any trailers (yet) since I haven't seen any yet. They're still working on them for presentation, which presumably will be soon. I'm sure I'll reject a couple once I have the chance. Right now I'm just focused on having a movie to sell.

The cut is shaping up nicely and the stuff coming in from Weta Digital is astonishing. Every once in a while, as we are absorbed in some intensely detailed discussion about sub-surface scattering or the way a tail is moving in the animation, I'll just stop and have this moment of clarity, as if seeing it for the first time. And I realize that's what the lunar astronauts must have felt like. They'd be in the middle of some complex set of procedures and they'd look out the window and go "Oh, yeah. That's the frickin' moon!" It feels like that.

Anyway, back to the grind.

Jim out

Just a few months ago he compared working on this movie to humans landing on the fucking moon. :lol

StuBurns

Banned
CultureClearance said:
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Yes, you need some kind of human-like features, like eyeballs and or a mouth, but that's about it. Pixar (who gave completely convincing emotions to a desk lamp) and many many others would completely disagree with your premise.
I have to agree with this. What Pixar did with Wall-E pretty much shows without doubt you don't need anything to be humanoid to empathize with it. It just has to emote well.

pnjtony

I showed it to my 7-year old son and he said he likes the bits that look like Star Wars.

I'd have to see more of the blue aliens but for the most parks it all looks like Attack of The Clones to me as well. The bits with General Grievous.

It looks okay...good even, but I'm not seeing the hype or revolutionary parts.

gdt

Blader5489 said:
Someone just cited Cameron from the Ubisoft panel a couple months ago, saying that watching Avatar is like "dreaming with your eyes open."

I think Cameron has downplayed the story side of it, but he has been hyping the CG and tech just as much as anyone else.

Tim-E said:
Just a few months ago he compared working on this movie to humans landing on the fucking moon :lol .

Oh man, I remember these comments :lol.

pnjtony

Jibril said:

Sorry, that was the fakest part for me.

CultureClearance said:
seriously? the Pixar lamp doesn't have a 4th of the emotion you get from humanoid characters.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Can take a moment to talk about how fucking awesome the sound design in the trailer is?

Aegus

I actually found the smile pretty nice on repeated viewing of the trailer. It's the sort of smile you get when something unbelievably incredible just happened and you can't contain your glee.

jett

D-Member
Tim-E said:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40395

Just a few months ago he compared working on this movie to humans landing on the fucking moon. :lol

:lol Okay I was wrong. :p I think JC has been out of the game for too long to be that impressed with WETA's work. I figured something like this would happen. I guess we'll, or at least I will see what's up tomorrow with the 15 minute 3D trailer. My expectations are still pretty high.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Will wait for the 3D 15 minute presentation tomorrow for the "woah" factor. The teaser is good, but not revolutionary.

stuburns said:
I have to agree with this. What Pixar did with Wall-E pretty much shows without doubt you don't need anything to be humanoid to empathize with it. It just has to emote well.
Sometimes even more-so because you don't have to worry about breaking through that uncanny valley and instead you can spend your time worrying about what really counts in a movie and in a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom