• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert |OT| Beginning September 8th - 11:30/10:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I usually buy Tribes hummus but will legit but some Sabra now.

Congratulations, advertising. You win again.

I like that both Colbert and Fallon are skipping the first commercial break in favor of product placement. It's both more effective for advertisers and more entertaining for viewers, so win-win.

I don't know if Leno and Letterman were doing the same before they left.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What methods are available to me to legally watch this without owning a television?
Wait until tomorrow (or later today, technically) for the episode to be put up for free on the website.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
mQtrlZp.jpg

mreddie

Who was that on Jimmy's locker?

Good first show, the Trump bit was gold. The Jev interview was good for Stephen but not for Jeb, I doubt Fallon interviewing Trump will be that good.

Seeing the first couple of minutes of the new Late Late Show, wasn't funny except the background Bradley Cooper bit. Why did Craig leave again? Because he was under Dave's company?

FyreWulff

I guess. Late Nite hosts putting each other over with cute gags and light cameos doesn't really do it for me. I don't think it'd hurt Colbert or Fallon to not acknowledge each other.

Because the newer generation of hosts are all buddies or at least friendly with each other.

Even Letterman noted it when he appeared on Kimmel, and said he thought it was great.

It's much different than Johnny Carson, who treated anyone that appeared on his show and then got a job elsewhere as a traitor and banned them from appearing. Leno upheld all his bans, which is why we didn't see Joan Rivers re-appear on the Tonight Show until Fallon took over.

West Coast feed here woot.

Oreo bit slayed me, it's funny how much I didn't realize I missed the Colbert report.

Ugh thank god your back Stephen.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Good first show, the Trump bit was gold. The Jev interview was good for Stephen but not for Jeb, I doubt Fallon interviewing Trump will be that good.

Seeing the first couple of minutes of the new Late Late Show, wasn't funny except the background Bradley Cooper bit. Why did Craig leave again? Because he was under Dave's company?

Rumor is CBS wanted him out for a while but couldn't do anything because Letterman owned the timeslot.

Stephen Colbert was on Jimmy Fallon's locker.

Time Magazine cover:

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hydrox is to Oreos, what Cheese Nips is to Cheez Its.

I really missed Colbert. It's great to have him back.

Rumor is CBS wanted him out for a while but couldn't do anything because Letterman owned the timeslot.

It's been a while so I can't recall all the exact details, but I remember Craig saying that he planned to leave for a while but CBS wanted more time to find a replacement so he stayed until last December.

Apparently he had already decided on leaving before Dave announced his retirement so Craig ended up waiting a few extra weeks to say anything about leaving The Late Late Show.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Amazing first episode. Was cracking up at nearly everything. Only thing I really didn't care for was the monologue so I'm glad it was short.

STG

Any reason they region locked the youtube clips?
This is what I get:
[ytdl_hook] ERROR: YouTube said: This video is available in American Samoa, Guam, United States Minor Outlying Islands, United States, Virgin Islands, U.S. only

spliced

Good to see a Colbert Report like segment on Trump.

Clooney was an odd choice as a first guest, they didn't have much chemistry.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
He feels like the old Colbert, but with new life breathed into him. Fantastic.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Did my eyes adjust to Clooney's tan, or did someone adjust the lighting mid-interview?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
So it was good huh? Gonna catch it tonight. Early work hours doesn't allow me to watch live. :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is this a new late night show or is he replacing someone? I'm so confused, they're all called the same.
Quick history of the main current late night shows.

The Tonight Show (NBC)
Steve Allen (1954 - 1957)
Jack Paar (1957 - 1962)
Johnny Carson (1962 - 1992)
Jay Leno (1992 - 2009)
Conan O'Brien (2009 - 2010)
Jay Leno (2010 - 2014)
Jimmy Fallon (2014 - Present)

The Late Show (CBS)
David Letterman (1993 - 2015)
Stephen Colbert (2015 - Present)

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)
^ (2003 - Present)

Conan (TBS)
^ (2010 - Present)

And in the second hour (12:30 to 1:30am) of late night talk shows:

Late Night (NBC)
David Letterman (1982 - 1993)
Conan O'Brien (1993 - 2009)
Jimmy Fallon (2009 - 2014)
Seth Meyers (2014 - Present)

The Late Late Show (CBS)
Tom Snyder (1995 - 1999)
Craig Kilborn (1999 - 2004)
Craig Ferguson (2004 - 2014)
James Corden (2015 - Present)

thefro

A few other notes:
- Seemed like the production crew was unsure of how to shoot some of the stuff in the Ed Sullivan theater. Obviously was the old Colbert Report crew and probably not many hands from Letterman's show came over. That will improve with time.

- Episode is only 46 minutes on CBS's site even though it went 10 min long. Hopefully it's close to a full 44 min tonight. That may explain some of the extra commercials.

- I can understand why some people wouldn't like the band from what they saw last night, but Batiste is legit. He's from one of the biggest jazz families in New Orleans, tons of charisma and I think will be pretty funny as Colbert's sidekick in bits. Whole core band is his buddies from the Julliard. That crazy energy is part of their performance but I can see where it would come off as faked when you only see a few seconds of it and don't have the context of the full performance during a break.

Arkeband

Banned
I am surprised he still opens the show with "Hello nation"

I think he was surprised too, he seemed to do an 'oops' face and went "I don't even know what that means!" or something.

I was surprised he kept calling his cameraman Jimmy, I thought the joke on the Colbert Report was that the cameraman's name was not and never was Jimmy but Colbert didn't care.

explodet

I like that both Colbert and Fallon are skipping the first commercial break in favor of product placement. It's both more effective for advertisers and more entertaining for viewers, so win-win.
You know what would go great with Sabra hummus?

Seventeen Wheat Thins.

I think he was surprised too, he seemed to do an 'oops' face and went "I don't even know what that means!" or something.

I was surprised he kept calling his cameraman Jimmy, I thought the joke on the Colbert Report was that the cameraman's name was not and never was Jimmy but Colbert didn't care.

Yeah you could definitely tell it was just habit. Just like the studio audience chanting "STEPHEN STEPHEN!" I'm sure people seeing a full episode of Colbert for the first time thought it was weird as fuck. I wonder if that will eventually go away. I'm digging the new show, can't wait till he gets into the rhythm of things.

gabbo

I caught that too, and Jimmy was just a made up name. Hopefully it's a hold over and he doesn't phase it out.

Log4Girlz

In certain places in Scotland, long ago, you'd call anyone you didn't know Jimmy. Kind of like calling someone Jack or Mack. Hey Mack, can you give me a hand?

TheOddOne

- THR: TV Ratings: Stephen Colbert Tops Late Night With Strong 'Late Show' Debut.
Colbert filled his first hour with cracks about his new network's choice of summer programming in his slot, Mentalist repeats, but that's a bar he easily passed on his first night. Colbert won all of late night in his first episode, averaging a strong 4.9 rating among metered market households. That's double the number Jimmy Fallon brought with last night's episode of NBC's Tonight.

DrStiles

I am surprised he still opens the show with "Hello nation"

He had said earlier that he didn't want to use Nation since it would be too close to The Colbert Report, so he probably slipped after all the chanting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/arts/television/stephen-colbert-the-late-night-hope.html

The conversation paused as Mr. Colbert and his staff considered a sketch that began with him addressing his audience directly, and they contemplated the precise language he should use.

An opening greeting like “nation” was too reminiscent of how the host used to speak on “The Colbert Report,” and words like “citizens,” “neighbors” and “friends” felt similarly arch and insincere.

Mr. Colbert hit upon a solution. “How about ‘hi’?” he said. “I like that.”

Sanjuro

Interested to see how the ratings look in a month or two. Hasn't The Tonight Show consistently beat The Late Show over the years?

For the most part, yes. It should be noted that The Tonight Show pulled a 2.4 yesterday, which is pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom