• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the treatment some other series got as far as music goes i find it hard to complain about mega man's situation lol. i'd say sticking with classic series was a good call to keep things more focused and they did a pretty good job within that.

even if i wish post-3 classic series got some arrangement love, can't really fault what we got. okay maybe i'd at least add a MM9 retro medley

That's still an assumption on your part, though. They haven't "proven" anything yet.

I don't see how the slots theory holds any weight anyway. There were 0 DLC slots before Mewtwo, so we would never get DLC. They can always add more, and planning the specific amount of content 6+ months out seems unlikely. Especially since Pirate Ship and Duck Hunt 3DS both feel like last minute additions.

It doesn't really seem to have any more weight to it than the theory we're getting four more characters because of Character Bundle 1, or my theory that we're getting two stages every future DLC patch because we've had two stages every DLC so far.

Anyway, our next patch is probably next week. There's a gamebreaking Diddy glitch.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aw hell nah*. Opening Stage, Burnerman, Magicman, Dynamoman, Pirateman, King's Castle Stages, Boss Theme, Bolt Museum. All great.

*: Only exception is if you played the GBA version.
Literally the only song I remember from all those is the Boss theme.

with the treatment some other series got as far as music goes i find it hard to complain about mega man's situation lol. i'd say sticking with classic series was a good call to keep things more focused and they did a pretty good job within that.

even if i wish post-3 classic series got some arrangement love, can't really fault what we got. okay maybe i'd at least add a MM9 retro medley

Yeah. MMX tunes would be cool, but seeing as how incredible the Mega Man arrangements are, I'm definitely not complaining.

kirby_fox

Banned
I don't see how the slots theory holds any weight anyway. There were 0 DLC slots before Mewtwo, so we would never get DLC. They can always add more, and planning the specific amount of content 6+ months out seems unlikely. Especially since Pirate Ship and Duck Hunt 3DS both feel like last minute additions.

It doesn't really seem to have any more weight to it than the theory we're getting four more characters because of Character Bundle 1, or my theory that we're getting two stages every future DLC patch because we've had two stages every DLC so far.

Anyway, our next patch is probably next week. There's a gamebreaking Diddy glitch.

Theory: what if they had to keep DLC under a certain limit because of the 3DS? How many mb do we have right now?

It's a sprite from an NES game that was likely ripped and never used because people would automatically assume it was related to Smash. We're not getting Foreman Spike in Smash, are we? I wish we got the Birdo sprite from SMB2.
Klump needs to learn the meaning behind 'bad touch'.

Oh hey they even worked in his scepter-thing from his weird and inexplicable Mario Baseball appearance. Does this guy have an art gallery?

EDIT: As far as more Mega Man music goes, I admittedly wouldn't have minded a 'I Wanna Take You For a Ride' remix (Sakurai mentioned Marvel Vs. in that one E3 video!) and Roll's theme overall from the Vs. series. I'm assuming I'm in an incredibly small minority on both fronts!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

That's awesome set up but I don't think people would let the shield stay out that long anymore. It would be tough to land it on someone if they already know about shield nerf.

Pfft you actually believe they'll reveal anything on Saturday.

Pffft you actually believe that I would expect that.

Way to go with putting words in other people's mouth for no reason. It's just two more days until Ballot is finally over.

Roll's theme overall from the Vs. series. I'm assuming I'm in an incredibly small minority on both fronts!

oh yeah kaze yo tsutaete is one that i wanted

i mean i guess battle & chase is classic series so it counts lol

Edit: Wait, this samples a friggin' Malcolm X speech, what in the blazes. I just thought it was a catchy song from Sonic Rush with silly lyrics lol

concept of love from jet set radio future samples stokely carmichael. i guess it's sorta a trend for hideki naganuma lol

I would have liked a medley of Mega Man Battle Network 3 music, but that wasn't going to happen.

That was my first Mega Man game lol. I'm much more intimately familiar with Sonic music, and his Smash music is kind of lame.

How about some Sonic music that's maybe about coffee, since Sonic needs more music.

Edit: Wait, this samples a friggin' Malcolm X speech, what in the blazes. I just thought it was a catchy song from Sonic Rush with silly lyrics lol

Sad the GOAT Sonic spinoff music didn't get in. Pick any song from that game. It has no right to be that good. Best desert theme.

While they seemed to have nerfed the other shield breakers in the game to compensate for the changes, they either forgot about Jigglypuff or wanted to buff her.

Pound was always good on shields, but now it's really good. With the extra shield stun and damage, Jigglypuff leaves only a tiny window to drop shield to escape.

Crayolan

giphy.gif

Finally, pound>rest on shield is an actual setup.

Or pretty much anything>rest on shield haha. I really need to see how rollout works on shields now. Especially on stages with slopes.

Azure J

I would have liked a medley of Mega Man Battle Network 3 music, but that wasn't going to happen.

That was my first Mega Man game lol. I'm much more intimately familiar with Sonic music, and his Smash music is kind of lame.

How about some Sonic music that's maybe about coffee, since Sonic needs more music.

Sad the GOAT Sonic spinoff music didn't get in. Pick any song from that game. It has no right to be that good. Best desert theme.

Hideki Naganuma is a fucking god of samples. Who takes a village theme from Grandia III and makes Wrapped In Black out of it? :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
@ShinyQuagsire

The 1.1.1 Smash update has 3 empty character slots and 4 (2 Ω, 2 norm) stage slots, an increase of one each. Neat.

CQSHsdUUsAAIxKF.png

CQSHseKUAAE6TRE.png

@ShinyQuagsire

I'm still not sure why they use that "Tikibuzz" pointer for their empty strings. Also I made a mistake, there's 6 stage slots.

@ShinyQuagsire

Not sure why there's one empty slot between the Mario Maker stage and the Duck Hunt one though. Maybe something wasn't done yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@ShinyQuagsire

The 1.1.1 Smash update has 3 empty character slots and 4 (2 Ω, 2 norm) stage slots, an increase of one each. Neat.

CQSHsdUUsAAIxKF.png

CQSHseKUAAE6TRE.png

@ShinyQuagsire

I'm still not sure why they use that "Tikibuzz" pointer for their empty strings. Also I made a mistake, there's 6 stage slots.

@ShinyQuagsire

Not sure why there's one empty slot between the Mario Maker stage and the Duck Hunt one though. Maybe something wasn't done yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Frigate Orpheon, Lich Yard and Saffron City and their respective Omega variants with Wolf, Shovel Knight and Lanky Kong, calling it now.

@ShinyQuagsire

CQSHsdUUsAAIxKF.png

CQSHseKUAAE6TRE.png

@ShinyQuagsire

@ShinyQuagsire

Not sure why there's one empty slot between the Mario Maker stage and the Duck Hunt one though. Maybe something wasn't done yet. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
3DS CSS R.I.P

Neoxon

@ShinyQuagsire

CQSHsdUUsAAIxKF.png

CQSHseKUAAE6TRE.png

@ShinyQuagsire

@ShinyQuagsire

That's....actually hype.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's....actually hype.

Yeah, it's. We just got two stages increase and one character increase but that's better than nothing!

3 stages (Normal/Omega)
3 characters

I'm still thinking that we might get 4 more characters tho but at least, I could temper my expectation to be only three characters to be safe! :D

HYPE HYPE HYPE!

Only one more for my four in November prediction,

But if three is it, then thats fine too. Just hope its a character I like. While I've liked all the current DLC movesets the characters themselves were meh besides Mewtwo (Which was basically a newcomer since I mostly played Brawl.)

Shovel Knight, Dixie, Pheonix Wright, Dyna-Blade, new Pokemon, probably more I'm forgetting. Any of these and I'm set. (Well most likely with Pokemon but I like most.)

*I also include Squartle and Ivysaur in new Pokemon since I never played transformation characters before. I guess Pichu too if its different enough like Roy.

Edit: Actually thinking about this logically, considering we are only now getting a third slot, the first two must be pre ballot characters and the third is the ballot winner. That is the most logical conclusion, but who knows.

Crayolan

HYPE HYPE HYPE!

Only one more for my four in November prediction,

But if three is it, then thats fine too. Just hope its a character I like. While I've liked all the current DLC movesets the characters themselves were meh besides Mewtwo (Which was basically a newcomer since I mostly played Brawl.)

Shovel Knight, Dixie, Pheonix Wright, Dyna-Blade, new Pokemon, probably more I'm forgetting. Any of these and I'm set. (Well most likely with Pokemon but I like most.)

*I also include Squartle and Ivysaur in new Pokemon since I never played transformation characters before. I guess Pichu too if its different enough like Roy.

Edit: Actually thinking about this logically, considering we are only now getting a third slot, the first two must be pre ballot characters and the third is the ballot winner. That is the most logical conclusion, but who knows.

WiiRevolution1
Certifiably Insane

WiiRevolution was sure Metal Face was playable pre Wii U release, so, uh, yeah.
Hey now, there were rumors of WiiU transfer characters (which were dumb, four characters as DLC...in one and ahalf months time?) and Dark Pit, like Metal Face was teased at the end of a trailer. It was a somewhat reasonable guess.

WiiRevolution1
Certifiably Insane
YES PLEASE! I would love a tag and this would be grand!

Viola from The Witch's House is still my #1 most wanted character!

TDLink

Cross-post from another topic, but figured it'd probably be more fitting here:

I am going to laugh, btw, if Goku ever seriously gets into the game. He's no doubt received a ton of votes even if not being originally a game character makes him "ineligible". The company who makes Smash 4 actually does own his rights and he has, at this point, appeared in a ton of video games. It's in the realm of possibility that he is added as a second Namco rep.

I don't seriously expect it, and I'll seriously laugh if it happens. I just want to acknowledge that it is a possibility though, however remote.

I still hope Wonder Red gets in.

I'd like Hades too but I've sort of given up hope on him just because I see no one else talking about him.

My input on the other "popular" picks:

Bandana Dee - Dumb. Literally grasping at straws for another Kirby character...it'd be like putting in a Goomba.

King K Rool - Not the best character around, but sure why not.

Dixie Kong - I feel like a third Kong would be less interesting than K Rool, but I'd still welcome her.

Chibi Robo - I think some cool things could be done with the plug. A whip style moveset still hasn't been fully mined, despite Zero Suit Samus.

Isaac - Golden Sun is unfortunately a dead franchise but psynergy could lead to a really fantastic moveset. I'd love this choice. Hopefully he's more on the side of Robin though rather than Marth. We have a few too many straight swordsmen.

Krystal - A spear character would be an interesting addition...but no thanks. They're retconing her out of Star Fox with the new game anyways so it's pretty unlikely.

Paper Mario - Absolutely not. Paper Mario is cool and all but we already have multiple Marios. We don't need more.

Inklings - Almost seems like a no-brainer. Only reason they wouldn't happen is if they "save" them for the next Smash...but I don't see the real point in doing that. They're Nintendo's hot new IP and could have a really cool and unique moveset. I'd enjoy them as a choice also.

I think that's all the truly popular choices (from what I've seen) covered. If the ballot is legit (and the "votes" I've seen expressed on the Internet are accurate), the characters will probably be some of these. I guess Wonder Red, Inklings, and Isaac are my 3 top choices if I had to pick from these choices which appear most popular.

imma just copy my reply from Reddit
The only evidence he was right was because he said Pirate Ship, an incredibly popular stage that was easy to port?
Guessing Pirate Ship as DLC isn't really anything to go by. Lots of people, myself included, were assuming it would return eventually.
Had he mentioned Mario Maker, or even Duck Hunt 3DS, that might have been more evidence. But guessing a popular and easy to implement Brawl stage isn't really anything.

Yeah, if he said that Pirate Ship was exclusive to the Wii U version, I would have been more impressed. But it doesn't have any less substance than some guy saying "Shovel Knight may or may not be in the game based on what my source told me."

Richie

Yeah, if he said that Pirate Ship was exclusive to the Wii U version, I would have been more impressed. But it doesn't have any less substance than some guy saying "Shovel Knight may or may not be in the game based on what my source told me."

I'm more wary of him apparently having insider knowledge on both Smash's development AND Retro Studios.

Javier

I wouldn't. Considering there's no swimming in the 3DS version, it wouldn't have been hard to conclude that, had Pirate Ship returned, it would have been Wii U only.

Neoxon

Is anyone noticing that Smash 4 is slowly becoming more like Melee thanks to the balance changes in the recent update?

Is anyone noticing that Smash 4 is slowly becoming more like Melee thanks to the balance changes in the recent update?

Where's the update that nerfs the hell out of characters like Roy, Kirby, and Ness then?

In all seriousness, I like it, as long as they don't increase the gravity to sack of bricks heavy, reduce the landing lag, and increase hit stun, I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom