• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

Both Sora and Riku are such terrible picks for a Square Enix rep. Give me Moogle or Chocobo or don't even bother.

KH might not be my favourite SE franchise, but for Smash Bros. it'd be one of the better choices. It's one of their most successful series, has a strong connection to Nintendo platforms, and an easily distinguishable, consistent lead character; unlike other series of a similar scope such as FF and DQ. Aesthetically it'd fit in perfectly, and Sora's abilities would be trivial to transition into a Smash moveset - it'd also provide an avenue to get some FF and TWEWY cameos in the game.

If dealing with Disney wasn't so much of an imposition, Sora could have easily been on the roster already.

ffdgh

Both Sora and Riku are such terrible picks for a Square Enix rep. Give me Moogle or Chocobo or don't even bother.
I love the staple characters as mush as the next guy but Sora's moveset possibilities are nearly endless. Gimme final form as his final smash.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sora probably makes more sense for a Square Enix character than a FF generic mook. He's a recurring character, has appeared in multiple games in Nintendo platforms, and is the protagonist of the series.

The problem here is that Sora is a Disney character, and who knows what the fuck kind of licencing fees Disney has.

I think I would not sleep well if Nintendo don't say nothing about the ballot for weeks

(But seriously go Wonder Red and Isaac !
And Hadés
)

Clov

The one year anniversary of the American release of Smash 4 3DS!

To think it's already been a year! I still remember how exciting it was to be playing Smash on a portable. Just playing a new Smash Bros in itself was exciting, but I was really impressed with how smoothly it ran! While I got it more or less to pass the time until Smash Wii U came out, I still really appreciate this version.

I actually like the 3DS Classic Mode and Smash Run a lot better than the Wii U Classic Mode and Smash Tour. Kind of wish those were in the Wii U version. I found a lot of the 3DS' new stages to be better than the new Wii U ones too. At least the stages have a chance at being brought over in the future...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It did it with Lucario the second day lol

I mostly played this as a commuting game so just went through Classic mode at a leisurely pace to get all the trophies, then All-Star and then Smash Run. Once I did that I just played Smash matches until I took a break from the game.

Haven't even got all the custom moves yet ha ha.

To think it's already been a year! I still remember how exciting it was to be playing Smash on a portable. Just playing a new Smash Bros in itself was exciting, but I was really impressed with how smoothly it ran! While I got it more or less to pass the time until Smash Wii U came out, I still really appreciate this version.

I actually like the 3DS Classic Mode and Smash Run a lot better than the Wii U Classic Mode and Smash Tour. Kind of wish those were in the Wii U version. I found a lot of the 3DS' new stages to be better than the new Wii U ones too. At least the stages have a chance at being brought over in the future...

Same here, the excitement to use brand new characters and the final boss of classic mode were great

Dr. Buni

I love the staple characters as mush as the next guy but Sora's moveset possibilities are nearly endless. Gimme final form as his final smash.
I wasn't speaking from a moveset perspective, but from a "representation" perspective. I don't think a Kingdom Hearts character is the way to go, even though I like Kingdom Hearts a lot more than Final Fantasy.

Clov

On a different note, for some reason I remember Sakurai saying that Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle would be the last N64 stages released as DLC. Am I just imagining this? I'd love to be wrong, since I really want Saffron City back.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I got all the custom moves by playing hours of Trophy Rush while listening to podcasts. Don't know how long it took me.

Then the competitive community did a 180 on customs. Arses.

EDIT: I did 9.0 on 3DS soon after the game released, but I can't for the life of me even do 8.0 on Wii U. I don't get it.

On a different note, for some reason I remember Sakurai saying that Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle would be the last N64 stages released as DLC. Am I just imagining this? I'd love to be wrong, since I really want Saffron City back.

He said "I don't think we can add too many more stages". Since then, we got Peach's Castle (64), Hyrule Castle (64), Super Mario Maker, and Pirate Ship.

What if Pirate Ship actually is the final returning stage and the K.Rool + Bomberman rumor is real??? On the other hand, Sakurai could have changed his mind after how well Dream Land sold.

Clov

He said "I don't think we can add too many more stages". Since then, we got Peach's Castle (64), Hyrule Castle (64), Super Mario Maker, and Pirate Ship.

What if Pirate Ship actually is the final returning stage and the K.Rool + Bomberman rumor is real??? On the other hand, Sakurai could have changed his mind after how well Dream Land sold.

That's good. Saffron City still has a chance then!

I'm pretty ambivalent on that rumor. On one hand, I wouldn't mind Bomberman as a third party character and I'd love it if K. Rool made it in. On the other hand, there's a LOT of stages I want to return. There's a pretty bad lack of Melee stages in the Wii U version.

The ballot is still up guys, you can put in your vote if you haven't already.

Veteran: Snake (Kind of regretting this because of Konami reasons and Inklings being a perfect candidate of being a Semi-Clone of him)
DLC Fighter: Wonder-Red (Also suggested CENTINEL-Suits and Wonder Masks as Mii Outfits)
Smash 5 Newcomer: Takamaru (Did not suggest him for Smash 4 at all, only voted for him to have a better chance in Smash 5)

Dr. Buni

What K. Rool and Bomberman rumor? No Dixie would be sad, but Bomberman and K. Rool would be really great.
Because 9.0 is way easier in 3DS because AI is dumbed down in 3DS for some reasons.
It was way easier, they buffed the 3DS AI a bit in one of the updates. The Wii U AI still is harder though.

So wait, can you just cast infinite ballots? There's no limits?

I think you can cast infinite, but only the first vote or so might count if they just limit it to something like 1 device or IP address. Not to mention, Sakurai still has final word on who gets in, so even if someone like Shovel Knight somehow gets a million votes more than the runner up, he can still say no and not put him in.

batfax

Definitely curious how (if?) they're going to handle things once the poll closes. I know they shared some of the results for Melee/Brawl, so I hope to see something. It might be neat if they made a new Miiverse thing where Sakurai commented on suggestions that caught his eye before they're ready to reveal who was picked.

Yeah remember that Brawl journal of Japanese submissions that interested Sakurai? People mistakenly said it was a poll but it was just interesting suggestions where most of the high characters got in any way

It was like:
Dedede 5
Ridley, Diddy, Ike, Geno 4
Krystal, Olimar, Windwaker Link, Takamaru 3
Mega Man, Lucas, Villager, Claus, K. Rool, Starfy 2

IIRc

Yeah remember that Brawl journal of Japanese submissions that interested Sakurai? People mistakenly said it was a poll but it was just interesting suggestions where most of the high characters got in any way

It was like:
Dedede 5
Ridley, Diddy, Ike, Geno 4
Krystal, Olimar, Windwaker Link, Takamaru 3
Mega Man, Lucas, Villager, Claus, K. Rool, Starfy 2

IIRc

I wonder if this was why the Geno train was so big during those days.

Wasn't there another list that had Link's Uncle? lol

The Ridley wanting has existed since the Earth was young and shall exist until Ridley is in Smash Bros. or the heat death of the universe, whichever comes first.

Honestly, Ridley being "too big" could be made an interesting balancing point.

For example, "4 Ridleys won't fit together on Final Destination platform" or something.

Dr. Buni

Honestly, Ridley being "too big" could be made an interesting balancing point.

For example, "4 Ridleys won't fit together on Final Destination platform" or something.
Supposedly the problem isn't even his size, but the wingspam... Which is weird, given that his wings aren't even that huge in his most well known appearance. Though there's also the fact he is lanky, his posture is weird and his tail is massive. There's a lot of "buts" when thinking about Ridley's design as a playable character, though to me the biggest but is Sakurai not wanting to make him playable :p

One of Sakurai's main points on Ridley was that he wouldn't be able to freely fly, which doesn't apply to Charizard and Bowser Jr., I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know why people on NeoGAF act like K. Rool's popularity sprang out of nowhere. He was popular pre-release too, rivaling Ridley in many polls. Even worse is this fabricated notion that Ridley/Geno fans (HAHA THEY ARE SO DELUSIONAL!!!!11) are now "bandwagoning" to K. Rool because... what exactly do Geno and K. Rool have in common that would lead you to make that connection? On the other hand, a case can be made that people started bandwagoning to Dixie because she appeared in Tropical Freeze and K. Rool didn't. This lead to everybody to declare that Dixie was a shoe-in, K. Rool was dead, and he'd be lucky to get a trophy. As it turns out, neither character got in. It sucked to be a Donkey Kong fan. The ballot has rightfully given us a platform to voice our disapproval with the amount of DK representation in Smash.

To quote what a SmashBoards user said, I don't feel like K. Rool's supporters are bandwagoning because of the confirmation bias that plagues so many choices in the Smash community. His support doesn't hinge on a ridiculous fan-made rule, it's mostly made up of people who genuinely love the character and the franchise he hails from. He doesn't have any flashy new game appearances, potentially credible rumors, or developers literally begging for his inclusion. Yet he continues to be a highly requested character worldwide. K. Rool's support is as grassroots as it comes, now matter how hard people try to downplay it.

Neoxon

A few question I'd like to ask you guys about Smash's future on the NX Platform...
  • Would you guys be okay with a remastered version of Smash 4 that's expanded upon instead of a Smash 5 made from the ground-up?
  • Assuming that the NX is a multi-system platform, do you think that the NX Handheld will hold back the NX Platform's Smash games as a whole (like the 3DS held back the Wii U)?
  • If Nintendo decides to just expand on the NX Platform like Apple expands on their iPhones & iPads by making all apps forward-compatible, do you think that Smash 5 will just be expanded upon or do you think we'll we get a new Smash game every 5-6 years?

Dr. Buni

A few question I'd like to ask you guys about Smash's future on the NX Platform...
  • Would you guys be okay with a remastered version of Smash 4 that's expanded upon instead of a Smash 5 made from the ground-up?
  • Assuming that the NX is a multi-system platform, do you think that the NX Handheld will hold back the NX Platform's Smash games as a whole (like the 3DS held back the Wii U)?
  • If Nintendo decides to just expand on the NX Platform like Apple expands on their iPhones & iPads by making all apps forward-compatible, do you think that Smash 5 will just be expanded upon or do you think we'll we get a new Smash game every 5-6 years?
- I would be okay with Smash 4+, yes. There's no need for building a new game from scratch considering Smash 4 is great and looks great as well. Just give us 5 or so more new characters, a lot of new stages, musics, new modes and call it a day. Maybe a new story mode, too?

- It is hilarious to see that some people still think Smash 3DS held the Wii U back one year after its release. lol But if "holding back" is necessary to have Smash on a handheld again, so be it.

- No idea.

- It is hilarious to see that some people still think Smash 3DS held the Wii U back one year after its release. lol
We already know it technically did. I mean, you can be okay with it, but we do know for certain it removed the Ice Climbers and cut Olimar's Pikmin in half.

Neoxon

- I would be okay with Smash 4+, yes. There's no need for building a new game from scratch considering Smash 4 is great and looks great as well. Just give us 5 or so more new characters, a lot of new stages, musics, new modes and call it a day. Maybe a new story mode, too?

- It is hilarious to see that some people still think Smash 3DS held the Wii U back one year after its release. lol But if "holding back" is necessary to have Smash on a handheld again, so be it.

- No idea.
  • But in reality, Smash 3DS did hold back Smash U, even if it was only with one character. Plus there would have been much more variety in stage selection if they only had to work on one version (something that should be resolved with the NX Platform).
  • I only say that they could just continually expand on Smash 4+ or Smash 5 since, more likely than not, the NX Platform will be the last platform that Nintendo ever makes from the ground-up (with Nintendo opting to expanding the NX Platform like later versions of iPhones & iPads instead). This could pose a problem in terms of timing a potential new Smash game, especially if Nintendo opts to continue making new ones from scratch.

Platy

hard to say not knowing ANYTHING about the NX

But Nintendo is not a fan of remasters.

I would argue that 8-player mode was likely just as much of a reason for the Ice Climbers to be axed as the 3DS version was. We were told the 3DS version was responsible long before 8-player mode was revealed.

Neoxon

hard to say not knowing ANYTHING about the NX

But Nintendo is not a fan of remasters.
We have a little bit of an idea of what the NX is thanks to Iwata's quotes. By which I mean the ones mentioning that he wanted the console & handheld to be "like brothers", Nintendo unifying their console & handheld divisions, & Iwata wanting to not start from zero each generation.

- Yes, yes, yes. Port Smash Wii U to NX and just support it with more DLC as they see fit. Port the 3DS content over and include all the DLC release's up to the NX game's launch.

- Unless the handheld NX literally runs on the same guts as the console, then yes the console version will be held back. There will be content that will be held out of both games for parity because the handheld is less technically capable. Just like with Wii U and 3DS. I would suggest ditching total parity so that we can have a handheld game and a complete console game. Parity as much as possible, sure, but if there's content the developer wants in the game, just put it in the damn version that can handle it.

- I think it'll be easier to just continue to expand Smash. And that's for the best. Tweaking balance and adding characters and stages and music is something I'll take over the fear of cut content that comes with a "ground up" approach. And I'm not a person who thinks Smash needs a "reboot" at all.

Neoxon

- Yes, yes, yes. Port Smash Wii U to NX and just support it with more DLC as they see fit. Port the 3DS content over and include all the DLC release's up to the NX game's launch.

- Unless the handheld NX literally runs on the same guts as the console, then yes the console version will be held back. There will be content that will be held out of both games for parity because the handheld is less technically capable. Just like with Wii U and 3DS. I would suggest ditching total parity so that we can have a handheld game and a complete console game. Parity as much as possible, sure, but if there's content the developer wants in the game, just put it in the damn version that can handle it.

- I think it'll be easier to just continue to expand Smash. And that's for the best. Tweaking balance and adding characters and stages and music is something I'll take over the fear of cut content that comes with a "ground up" approach. And I'm not a person who thinks Smash needs a "reboot" at all.
The theorized idea behind the NX Platform is to have the Console & Handheld share most of their games, with a select few exceptions (like a Zelda or Xenoblade game that's just too big for the NX Handheld). Basically instead of 2 Smash games & 2 Mario Karts, there'd be one of each with more time that could be dedicated to, say, a Kid Icarus Uprising sequel & an F-Zero game. In this scenario, Nintendo will likely keep as many of their games playable on both as possible. So if this pans out, roster parity would be mandatory since there'd only be 1 Smash game that's playable on multiple SKUs.

The theorized idea behind the NX Platform is to have the Console & Handheld share most of their games, with a select few exceptions (like a Zelda or Xenoblade game that's just too big for the NX Handheld). Basically instead of 2 Smash games & 2 Mario Karts, there'd be one. In this scenario, Nintendo will likely keep as many of their games playable on both as possible. If this pans out, roster parity would be mandatory since there'd only be 1 Smash game that's playable on multiple SKUs.

Well, if they plan on doing that, then they'd better make sure the handheld is actually powerful. And I don't say this as someone obsessed with graphical prowess, but even beyond Smash, the ecosystem will not do well if games are crippled by the capabilities of the lesser system.

And also, they could make it so that certain content is only available on a certain SKU. If they wanted to do that.

Neoxon

Well, if they plan on doing that, then they'd better make sure the handheld is actually powerful. And I don't say this as someone obsessed with graphical prowess, but even beyond Smash, the ecosystem will not do well if games are crippled by the capabilities of the lesser system.

And also, they could make it so that certain content is only available on a certain SKU. If they wanted to do that.
As far as the NX Handheld goes, I wouldn't worry since more recent ARM chips should be capable of handling the Ice Climbers. Though as a whole, Nintendo doesn't exactly push the boundaries of their systems. As such, going this route wouldn't hurt them as much until they get to that big Zelda or Xenoblade game (which could easily be console-only). Plus assuming that the NX Handheld is 540p, this should make scaling the game & its assets much easier.

If you have any other questions about what we're theorizing on the NX Platform itself based on what little we know in general, there's a thread for that. Though we can continue to discuss its potential impact on the Smash series here.

I know why people on NeoGAF act like K. Rool's popularity sprang out of nowhere. He was popular pre-release too, rivaling Ridley in many polls. Even worse is this fabricated notion that Ridley/Geno fans (HAHA THEY ARE SO DELUSIONAL!!!!11) are now "bandwagoning" to K. Rool because... what exactly do Geno and K. Rool have in common that would lead you to make that connection? On the other hand, a case can be made that people started bandwagoning to Dixie because she appeared in Tropical Freeze and K. Rool didn't. This lead to everybody to declare that Dixie was a shoe-in, K. Rool was dead, and he'd be lucky to get a trophy. As it turns out, neither character got in. It sucked to be a Donkey Kong fan. The ballot has rightfully given us a platform to voice our disapproval with the amount of DK representation in Smash.

To quote what a SmashBoards user said, I don't feel like K. Rool's supporters are bandwagoning because of the confirmation bias that plagues so many choices in the Smash community. His support doesn't hinge on a ridiculous fan-made rule, it's mostly made up of people who genuinely love the character and the franchise he hails from. He doesn't have any flashy new game appearances, potentially credible rumors, or developers literally begging for his inclusion. Yet he continues to be a highly requested character worldwide. K. Rool's support is as grassroots as it comes, now matter how hard people try to downplay it.

Preach! Of course now you will get yelled at for talking back vs the snarky haters

There's this weird dynamic with character haters and supporters in general where the haters can say like anything they want but if a supporter systematically shuts them down, the hater retreats back and is like "YO I was just joking and you are taking this too seriously, lol it is just a game man." Here it will be "HA HA there is Gonzo again being a dumb KRool fan boy, point and laugh at him." But you are sporting the truth in the face of a STUPID comparison to Geno. He was in one game and K.Rool is the main villain of a whole series! What the hell!

It is almost like playing the victim in a way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom