• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ganondorf is never gonna get axed. He's a super popular character from a super popular game series. Like, if they'll even consider cutting a Zelda character (which they won't), it will be Sheik or Toon Link.
It's not like he's anywhere near any of the characters that had been cut in the past, especially after making it through the Melee clone cull along with Falco (and arguably Young Link if you consider Toon Link an update rather than a new character, which I kinda do).

Ganondorf is never gonna get axed. He's a super popular character from a super popular game series. Like, if they'll even consider cutting a Zelda character (which they won't), it will be Sheik or Toon Link.
It's not like he's anywhere near any of the characters that had been cut in the past, especially after making it through the Melee clone cull along with Falco (and arguably Young Link if you consider Toon Link an update rather than a new character, which I kinda do).

I think they might be talking more about whether Dorf will be in the next Zelda game (may be wrong tho)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just playing Smash 3DS recently. I just noticed that they removed small room in Reset Bomb Forest.

The small platform with wall and ceiling which formed a small room in last phase of the stage got removed which surprised me. Did anyone reported this yet?

I just checked and it's still there? Seems like it breaks a lot quicker than I remember it but unless there were two small rooms layout-wise it's been unchanged. Skeleton fish enemy thing still shows up as well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just checked and it's still there? Seems like it breaks a lot quicker than I remember it but unless there were two small rooms layout-wise it's been unchanged. Skeleton fish enemy thing still shows up as well.

Did you update your version? Or did you play with 4 players?

I was playing with my friends, and skeleton fish never shown up; and that room didn't shown up as well.

Did you update your version? Or did you play with 4 players?

I was playing with my friends, and skeleton fish never shown up; and that room didn't shown up as well.
Yup. Mii costumes, Duck Hunt, everything from the update's in it. I was literally playing as Viridi via Mii Swordsman while I tested. 4 players too, though they were CPU.

Discussion for fun to celebrate end of ballot:

If you absolutely HAD TO pick a non video game character for Smash, who would it be out of this list? All have a decent video game presence.

Batman
Bugs Bunny
Goku
Harry Potter
Hatsune Miku
James Bond
Mickey Mouse
Popeye
Spider-Man
Tony Hawks

batfax

If you absolutely HAD TO pick a non video game character for Smash, who would it be out of this list? All have a decent video game presence.

Batman
Bugs Bunny
Goku
Harry Potter
Hatsune Miku
James Bond
Mickey Mouse
Popeye
Spider-Man
Tony Hawks

For a Nintendo crossover it has to be Popeye.

Batman
Bugs Bunny
Goku
Harry Potter
Hatsune Miku
James Bond
Mickey Mouse
Popeye
Spider-Man
Tony Hawks

Miku%20and%20Luigi.png

Illucio

Banned

Batman
Bugs Bunny
Goku
Harry Potter
Hatsune Miku
James Bond
Mickey Mouse
Popeye
Spider-Man
Tony Hawks

Mickey Mouse he's universally known and the least ridiculous one off that list.

Pokemaniac

all those people thinking the results would be posted lol

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone thinks that we'll ever hear anything about the results aside from "this character received strong/weak support in the ballot" in the eventual promotion and from Sakurai. It's a suggestion box more than anything else. Actually announcing the results would set up bad expectations by giving people the impression that it was actually an election.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Regard with Reset Bomb Forest. I got same result three times that the mini room and skeleton fish didn't appeared. It was with 4 players (three friends and me)

Batman
Bugs Bunny
Goku
Harry Potter
Hatsune Miku
James Bond
Mickey Mouse
Popeye
Spider-Man
Tony Hawks

Popeye, then Miku, then Bond in that order of priority, with none of the others (as much as I love Spidey).

I think they might be talking more about whether Dorf will be in the next Zelda game (may be wrong tho)

Yeah, this tangent started because of a comment about basing Ganondorf's design off of his Zelda Wii U design.

Oh, okay. My bad.

Bugs Bunny
Goku
Mickey Mouse
Spider-Man

it's spelled tony HAWK although he stars in tony HAWK'S games because that's how english works so far

Okay. On a serious note. Let's start with crossing out Harry and Popeye. Harry because he was refused to join the Nintendo roster. Popeye because basically the same thing, although they fixed it later.

Tony Hawk and Miku could work, but they would be a spit in the face of Nintendo characters, Excitebiker and whole Rhythm Haven cast respectively.

Batman got recently associated with games mostly associated with competing platforms, and while this didn't stop Snake, there are too many completely different iterations on Batman to do the character some justice. So no Batman.

Similarly, no Bond, because WHICH ONE (personally, I prefer Sellers). Buying licenses to all of them is overkill, making an original one won't work.

So that leaves me with four characters that I don't feel would be wrong. Honestly, at this point I would use dice. Mickey is best known and fitting but he would have one mess of a moveset. Spidey would stick out but the moveset is obvious, Bugs got sort of off my radar, and Goku is in tight spot between being poorly represented and being OP. I don't know.

Batman
Bugs Bunny
Goku
Harry Potter
Hatsune Miku
James Bond
Mickey Mouse
Popeye
Spider-Man
Tony Hawks

Definitely one of these two right here. Both of them are significant to Nintendo's history.

Dr. Buni

There's still people who think it's a "character with the most votes gets in Smash" situation.
Did they ever say that's not the case? I don't believe that most votes = gets in Smash, but that is a natural assumption. Unless Nintendo previously stated that it will not work that way.

Muzy72

Banned
Didn't some leak about Splatoon talk about a Direct next week or the week after?
Splatoon data miner said expect something big for Splatoon on the 16th, and then said Direct on the 14th. The Direct part is probably just a guess on their part though. Nintendo could easily announce Splatoon content through other venues.

Did they ever say that's not the case? I don't believe that most votes = gets in Smash, but that is a natural assumption. Unless Nintendo previously stated that it will not work that way.
It is a good assumption and seems like a safe guard in case a stupid character like Shrek or Banjo Kazooie or Lanky wins and not a sensible one like K.Rool or Isaac or Inklings.
Not a path way to adding any character at all and calling it "the fan voted character."

Neoxon

It is a good assumption and seems like a safe guard in case a stupid character like Shrek or Banjo Kazooie or Lanky wins and not a sensible one like K.Rool or Isaac or Inklings.
Not a path way to adding any character at all and calling it "the fan voted character."
But as stated before, it was never implied by either Sakurai or Iwata that the winner will get in the game. In fact, the wording from Sakurai points more towards the Smash Ballot being a suggestion box. That being said, as I've also said in the past, Sakurai will likely be pulling mainly from the Top 10 or 15 characters. But don't be shocked if he gets the 20th most popular character just because he can think of something cool for the character.

it's spelled tony HAWK although he stars in tony HAWK'S games because that's how english works so far

Okay. On a serious note. Let's start with crossing out Harry and Popeye. Harry because he was refused to join the Nintendo roster. Popeye because basically the same thing, although they fixed it later.

Tony Hawk and Miku could work, but they would be a spit in the face of Nintendo characters, Excitebiker and whole Rhythm Haven cast respectively.

Batman got recently associated with games mostly associated with competing platforms, and while this didn't stop Snake, there are too many completely different iterations on Batman to do the character some justice. So no Batman.

Similarly, no Bond, because WHICH ONE (personally, I prefer Sellers). Buying licenses to all of them is overkill, making an original one won't work.

So that leaves me with four characters that I don't feel would be wrong. Honestly, at this point I would use dice. Mickey is best known and fitting but he would have one mess of a moveset. Spidey would stick out but the moveset is obvious, Bugs got sort of off my radar, and Goku is in tight spot between being poorly represented and being OP. I don't know.

And here I was putting in so much effort making sure I spelt Batman and Spider-Man correctly dammit.

jph139

They said they'd consider each submission, so it's entirely possible that Sakurai and the team will look over the list, say "Wow, fans are dumb, it's a good thing we don't have to listen to them!" and just put in Ayumi Tachibana and Excitebiker. Lowering expectations, as always, is the most sensible choice.

I'll be content with whatever we get, personally - the more the merrier, even if they're characters I didn't consider/don't particularly care about. I'm expecting a handful of Ryus.

Batman
Bugs Bunny
Goku
Harry Potter
Hatsune Miku
James Bond
Mickey Mouse
Popeye
Spider-Man
Tony Hawks

Tg3LdIg.gif

Best crawling animation

Dr. Buni

I'll be content with whatever we get, personally - the more the merrier, even if they're characters I didn't consider/don't particularly care about. I'm expecting a handful of Ryus.
I don't agree with this. Quality is important to me, more than quantity. The more isn't necessary the merrier, especially when it comes to fighting game rosters.

I do agree that keeping expectations in check is the sensible choice, though.

jph139

I mean, when Pac-Man was leaked, I was super disappointed - boring character, boring choice. Now he's my favorite character in the game. Even bought his amiibo. On the other hand, I was SUPER hyped for Robin. One of my most wanted for Smash 4 and I never in my wildest dreams expected to get him. But in the end, I don't really enjoy playing as him.

There's a few that hit both points pretty well for me (Little Mac and Villager were at the top of my list AND they're fun to use), which is great. But I like it when Smash makes me look at characters I didn't care about in a new light.

But as stated before, it was never implied by either Sakurai or Iwata that the winner will get in the game. In fact, the wording from Sakurai points more towards the Smash Ballot being a suggestion box. That being said, as I've also said in the past, Sakurai will likely be pulling mainly from the Top 10 or 15 characters. But don't be shocked if he gets the 20th most popular character just because he can think of something cool for the character.

Yeah that would just be disappointing. Like Sakurai, you had the original game and the ore ballot DLC to use your oh so cool ideas, now please add the characters fans voted for, cause we have cool ideas of our own for them! He did say fan service after all

jwillenn

Why not the one that starred in the film the iconic game for the N64 was tightly based on, Pierce Brosnan?

GE64 deserves it more than stuff that has already made it into Smash.

Didn't some leak about Splatoon talk about a Direct next week or the week after?

I saw that tweet too. I wonder why a specific date would be in the Splatoon files since I thought the timed unlocks were server-based. I've heard about Octolings becoming possibly playable but is that really enough to predict a Direct? Maybe it's something bigger.

I posted the same thing as a poll on GFAQS and since it got over 250 votes I thought it would be interesting to post here:

Goku
26.56% (68 votes)
Mickey Mouse
21.88% (56 votes)
Hatsune Miku
12.89% (33 votes)
Batman
10.94% (28 votes)
James Bond
7.81% (20 votes)
Popeye
6.25% (16 votes)
Spider-Man
5.86% (15 votes)
Harry Potter
3.52% (9 votes)
Tony Hawk
2.34% (6 votes)
Bugs Bunny
1.95% (5 votes)

Zubz

Banned

Batman
Bugs Bunny
Goku
Harry Potter
Hatsune Miku
James Bond
Mickey Mouse
Popeye
Spider-Man
Tony Hawks

I mean, Goku would retroactively make me look like less of an ass for saying that he was in Smash Bros. because I read it online somewhere to some friends back in grade school, but I only talk to one of those guys anymore, anyway, and he actually hates Smash.

Out of that list, I'm mostly a fan of Spidey, but I was all for Popeye when someone brought up the idea before, and there is the fact that he is tied to Nintendo (And public domain in some parts of the world), so I'll take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom