• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A few question I'd like to ask you guys about Smash's future on the NX Platform...
  • Would you guys be okay with a remastered version of Smash 4 that's expanded upon instead of a Smash 5 made from the ground-up?
  • Assuming that the NX is a multi-system platform, do you think that the NX Handheld will hold back the NX Platform's Smash games as a whole (like the 3DS held back the Wii U)?
  • If Nintendo decides to just expand on the NX Platform like Apple expands on their iPhones & iPads by making all apps forward-compatible, do you think that Smash 5 will just be expanded upon or do you think we'll we get a new Smash game every 5-6 years?

1. I would be perfectly fine with them porting Smash 4 to NX and expand upon modes, stages, characters, etc. As someone mentioned in previous page, Nintendo usually don't do that which is unfortunately true. Hopefully they would break that and allow Sakurai to port Smash 4 to NX and improve the game from there with new modes, more newcomers, etc.

I don't know why but I can't really see them start all over again with 50-ish characters since it would require heavy schedule and budgets.

2. I don't really know anything but new 3DS have better cpu than original 3DS. I hope that it would says a lot about future handheld so hopefully they would have better CPU that wouldn't hold back future console version. We'll see when we get to know what NX would be like.

Pokemaniac

A few question I'd like to ask you guys about Smash's future on the NX Platform...
  • Would you guys be okay with a remastered version of Smash 4 that's expanded upon instead of a Smash 5 made from the ground-up?
  • Assuming that the NX is a multi-system platform, do you think that the NX Handheld will hold back the NX Platform's Smash games as a whole (like the 3DS held back the Wii U)?
  • If Nintendo decides to just expand on the NX Platform like Apple expands on their iPhones & iPads by making all apps forward-compatible, do you think that Smash 5 will just be expanded upon or do you think we'll we get a new Smash game every 5-6 years?

• I don't see a remastered Smash is something that's likely or even particularly desirable. Smash 5 may heavily borrow from Smash 4, but that's not hugely different from how Smash 4 borrows from Brawl. Also recall that the last time Nintendo considered rereleasing a Smash game would have been in place of making a new one.
  • Sure the handheld will probably "hold back" Smash 5, especially when you consider that Sakurai is unlikely to change his stance on roster parity, but I don't really see the issue with that. The NX handheld is going to be quite a bit more powerful than a 3DS.
  • Full backwards compatibility doesn't completely negate the need for the occasional refresh that a new entry in the series provides. That said, I do think that the games will start looking a lot more similar to each other once Sakurai stops working on them.

Azure J

Yeah remember that Brawl journal of Japanese submissions that interested Sakurai? People mistakenly said it was a poll but it was just interesting suggestions where most of the high characters got in any way

It was like:
Dedede 5
Ridley, Diddy, Ike, Geno 4
Krystal, Olimar, Windwaker Link, Takamaru 3
Mega Man, Lucas, Villager, Claus, K. Rool, Starfy 2

IIRc

Oh wow, so it wasn't a poll at all? Cool stuff. It's also interesting to see so many "regulars" topping the charts here.

Neoxon

• I don't see a remastered Smash is something that's likely or even particularly desirable. Smash 5 may heavily borrow from Smash 4, but that's not hugely different from how Smash 4 borrows from Brawl. Also recall that the last time Nintendo considered rereleasing a Smash game would have been in place of making a new one.
  • Sure the handheld will probably "hold back" Smash 5, especially when you consider that Sakurai is unlikely to change his stance on roster parity, but I don't really see the issue with that. The NX handheld is going to be quite a bit more powerful than a 3DS.
  • Full backwards compatibility doesn't completely negate the need for the occasional refresh that a new entry in the series provides. That said, I do think that the games will start looking a lot more similar to each other once Sakurai stops working on them.
By full forward compatibility, I mean older games having the ability to upres themselves based on the hardware being used (should updates provide the higher-quality assets on later NX hardware). To be more specific, think of how programmers upgrade their iOS games to take advantage of the extra horsepower of later models of iPhones & iPads.

Oh wow, so it wasn't a poll at all? Cool stuff. It's also interesting to see so many "regulars" topping the charts here.

The way I remember it worked was it was a Japanese survey like this ballot. Sakurai ended up not releasing the results but listed a bunch of characters who got votes, like some obscure ones like Link's Uncle too, and then did diary entries on entries that interested him. The full thread is on Smashboard some where
http://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

Found it!

e0lbXYd.png

=,(

But Nintendo is not a fan of remasters.

They are? If they're not fans of remasters nobody told them during the GBA era. Every other major Nintendo release was a remake on the GBA.

Or even late Wii Era with Metroid Prime Trilogy, New Play Control Tennis/Pikmin/Pikmin 2/Chibi Robo/DK:JB, Super Mario All Stars, and Kirby Collection. Brawl started life as a remaster!

I'm laughing at Dedede needing to wait because Metaknight.

Because Dedede has been waiting since Smash 64 to get in at that point. Enough was enough. He is a far more important character in the Kirby series than Metaknight.

Also lol@Lucas as a Ness clone. Woops.

Azure J

The way I remember it worked was it was a Japanese survey like this ballot. Sakurai ended up not releasing the results but listed a bunch of characters who got votes, like some obscure ones like Link's Uncle too, and then did diary entries on entries that interested him. The full thread is on Smashboard some where
http://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

Found it!

The only thing I remembered from that survey was someone mentioning that the characters with numbers beside their names topped the charts that many times before the next draft IIRC. The results of that were also part of the reason I researched and got curious about Takamaru/The Mysterious Murasame Castle's history in the pre-Brawl days.

Edit: Lip too! This poll is such a blast from the past. :lol

Sponge

Banned
I know why people on NeoGAF act like K. Rool's popularity sprang out of nowhere. He was popular pre-release too, rivaling Ridley in many polls. Even worse is this fabricated notion that Ridley/Geno fans (HAHA THEY ARE SO DELUSIONAL!!!!11) are now "bandwagoning" to K. Rool because... what exactly do Geno and K. Rool have in common that would lead you to make that connection? On the other hand, a case can be made that people started bandwagoning to Dixie because she appeared in Tropical Freeze and K. Rool didn't. This lead to everybody to declare that Dixie was a shoe-in, K. Rool was dead, and he'd be lucky to get a trophy. As it turns out, neither character got in. It sucked to be a Donkey Kong fan. The ballot has rightfully given us a platform to voice our disapproval with the amount of DK representation in Smash.

To quote what a SmashBoards user said, I don't feel like K. Rool's supporters are bandwagoning because of the confirmation bias that plagues so many choices in the Smash community. His support doesn't hinge on a ridiculous fan-made rule, it's mostly made up of people who genuinely love the character and the franchise he hails from. He doesn't have any flashy new game appearances, potentially credible rumors, or developers literally begging for his inclusion. Yet he continues to be a highly requested character worldwide. K. Rool's support is as grassroots as it comes, now matter how hard people try to downplay it.

I was around for the old Nsider forums Nintendo used to have and remember quite a bit of K. Rool support. Obviously Diddy was more of a priority though. I even remember pre-Smash 4 release I would suggest K. Rool in some GAF threads and be questioned about it. Never understood why, his support has always been around. You're preaching the truth, Gonzo.

That list is even more bizarre than I remember it. Colonel Volgin? Steven Stone? Saji and Maji?!?

Surprised to see James Bond and that one Jet Force Gemini character on there, too.

Richie

I can see a remaster at NX happening, but only if they intend to continuously update it through the years instead of starting work on a brand new Smash. Imagine the work it must be to start from the ground up with a roster nearing 60 characters, all the stages, all the features...Plus, we got two Smash games in 2014. Smash DLC through most of this year. If NX comes out next year and Smash is indeed remastered to be one of its launch titles, you have pretty much three years in a row of 'new' Smash content. No way they'd have another Smash done by 2018, and besides that'd give the series some franchise fatigue...

We need a remaster for the sole purpose of making the CSS and (to a lesser extent) the Stage SS better with DLC.

And then they'd add DLC to the remaster and we'd be back to square one.

Clov

1) Yes, as long as it includes all the previous DLC, has the stages of both versions, has new content in the base game and is updated with new DLC of its own. That would be wonderful.

2) Hopefully not. It depends on the power of both, and since we know so little I can't really guess.

3) I think just expanding on what's already here would be the best way of doing things, but who knows what Nintendo will think?

Pokemaniac

By full forward compatibility, I mean older games having the ability to upres themselves based on the hardware being used (should updates provide the higher-quality assets on later NX hardware). To be more specific, think of how programmers upgrade their iOS games to take advantage of the extra horsepower of later models of iPhones & iPads.

I know what you meant. The approach that you suggest makes it a lot more difficult to keep the game fresh, and can present issues related to tying themselves down to a single codebase.

It is also much more difficult to monetize If there isn't a proper new entry once in a while. There are a lot of issues that come into play, such as continually providing new content worth money, dividing the player base, and making sure the barrier to entry doesn't become too high for a new player. I don't really see "Smash as a service" working without there being large, cumulative, once per generation expansion packs at minimum.

RomanceDawn

This game is still in development and we are on the verge of a new console/hand held. Give us a few extra characters, stages, modes, etc and slap tournament addition on and it will be appreciated. I'd say even 4 years from now is too soon for a brand new Smash. There is so much growth to still be had with this game. When would development for this game need to stop and the next game to begin for a new Smash to release in a timely fashion before the next NX type upgrade?

I keep seeing people say that Nintendo isn't fond of remastered games but while remaster may not be the word I want to use, they will happily rerelease games especially if the original hardware under performed. It seemed like we got a ton of games from the GameCube that were rereleased and the biggest reason I could see was that Nintendo wanted to make back more of that initial investment.

New Play Control: Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Mario Power Tennis and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat are the only things that come to mind but it was only the following generation that these games were released. Then with this gen Wind Waker was given a second chance.

The ballot was supposed to end yesterday. Well yesterday on my future Chinese time. Imagine if hey have not even started the final character/s that they want to creat. What do they need, an extra 3 to 6 months? That could be as late as April of 2016. The games "officially" started development after Kid Icarus came out in the US, March 23rd 2012. All of that time and energy will be pushed a little more into a prettier even more expansive version of the Smash Wii U we have now. I can feel it in my enchanted shin.

Muzy72

Banned
I really hope Sakurai has been simultaneously working on a "Super Smash Bros. for NX" while doing this DLC. Just use Smash Wii U as a base, keep the whole roster (with same character artwork so we don't have to get a new line of amiibo for the same characters), include the DLC, add 10-12 characters (including Ice Climbers), same engine (maybe balance tweaks), new stages, new Smash ____ mode to replace Run/Tour, and call it a day. And release no later than like 6 months after NX launch.

I'd love an NX port, although I imagine Sakurai wants to move on to other projects.

That he's still dedicated to DLC a year later might be a good sign, though.

Neoxon

I really hope Sakurai has been simultaneously working on a "Super Smash Bros. for NX" while doing this DLC. Just use Smash Wii U as a base, keep the whole roster (with same character artwork so we don't have to get a new line of amiibo for the same characters), include the DLC, add 10-12 characters (including Ice Climbers), same engine (maybe balance tweaks), new stages, new Smash ____ mode to replace Run/Tour, and call it a day. And release no later than like 6 months after NX launch.
I feel like they'd redesign certain characters, such as the Zelda crew based on their Zelda U designs & the Star Fox cast based on their Star Fox Zero designs.

Platy

They are? If they're not fans of remasters nobody told them during the GBA era. Every other major Nintendo release was a remake on the GBA.

Or even late Wii Era with Metroid Prime Trilogy, New Play Control Tennis/Pikmin/Pikmin 2/Chibi Robo/DK:JB, Super Mario All Stars, and Kirby Collection. Brawl started life as a remaster!

Hard to call most of these remasters. They were straigh up ports. Remasters you kinda acepts the new play control.... the rest are ports.

The gba ones you can even call demakes because it is like a crap port xD
Mario 3 can be called a remaster because of the E-reader stuff maybe ?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I feel like they'd redesign certain characters, such as the Zelda crew based on their Zelda U designs & the Star Fox cast based on their Star Fox Zero designs.

I'm not sure about that since it's really depend on Ganondorf and Sheik being available in Zelda U or not. It's hard to predict now since we haven't seen any trailers regard with Zelda U.

Muzy72

Banned
Nah the Zelda characters are fine because it gives a nice contrast between regular and Toon Link. Plus there's no guarantee Ganondorf will be in Zelda U, and Sheik obviously won't.

New artwork would mean new amiibo which would not be fun.

Neoxon

Nah the Zelda characters are fine because it gives a nice contrast between regular and Toon Link. Plus there's no guarantee Ganondorf will be in Zelda U, and Sheik obviously won't.

New artwork would mean new amiibo which would not be fun.
I forgot to mention that. It'd be assuming that Ganondorf & Sheik are in Zelda U.

At this point I'd probably prefer it if Smash 5 just made Link/Zelda/Sheik/Ganondorf
and hopefully Impa and Tingle
an amalgamation of their different incarnations to try and represent them all at once. Sorta like what Hyrule Warriors did, but without trying to differentiate them as much.

Neoxon

That's a pretty big assumption. Not counting spinoffs like Hyrule Warriors, Gannondorf and Sheik have only been in 3 and 1 Zelda game(s), respectively.
Ganondorf is a relatively safe bet. Sheik is the only real question, & the artist for Zelda U could always whip up a Sheik design like the Twilight Princess artist did.

They'll probably keep using the Twilight Princess style. It's a consistent style between the entire Zelda cast (besides Toon Link) and is basically just an evolution of the Ocarina of Time designs, which is what Smash started with. Nintendo themselves even used newer art inspired by Twilight Princess' Link design for some of their new store displays. There's no guarantee Ganondorf will be in Zelda U and Sheik won't be at all. And that's also assuming Ganondorf, if he's in Zelda U, will have a design that works with his Smash moveset. Twilight Princess did, while Wind Waker did not for example.

There's also no reason to assume they'd change Fox's style. They've never changed the Star Fox crew's style to the most recent game. 64 and Melee were 64 style, and Brawl onward have been unique Smash specific designs that takes elements from all of their designs.

Ganondorf is a relatively safe bet. Sheik is the only real question, & the artist for Zelda U could always whip up a Sheik design like the Twilight Princess artist did.

Ganondorf has appeared in as many games as Vaati. He's never a guarantee at all. He wasn't in Skyward Sword.

Ganondorf may have only been in three Zelda games, but they are three out of five for major 3D Zelda games, and Skyward Sword essentially has proto-Ganondorf in his place. The only 3D Zelda without Ganondorf or a very close Ganondorf analogue is Majora's Mask.

Plus as far as the series' plot is concerned, Ganondorf and Ganon are the same entity, while Demise in SS is an obvious allusion to Ganondorf and Yuga in ALBW Lorule's version of Ganondorf. Putting him on the same level as Vaati is misleading at best.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Many people were so sure that we are going to get Ganondorf in Skyward Sword. Now we didn't. I would love to see the team taking a new take on Ganondorf because I would like to see new design for Ganondorf.

jph139

I think the Twilight Princess designs are easily the worst in the series, and I'm still disappointed they stuck with them for Smash 4 (though I understand the logic behind it). I'd have loved Skyward Sword inspired, or even just generic/un-sourced, takes... and I'm REALLY hoping they don't stick around for Smash 5.

Ganondorf's Twilight Princess model is easily his worst. Gimme the Hyrule Warriors designs for Smash 5 pls.

inb4 somebody comes along and posts some "rule" about them being ineligible because they're from spin-offs.

Neoxon

Ganondorf's Twilight Princess model is easily his worst. Gimme the Hyrule Warriors designs for Smash 5 pls.

inb4 somebody comes along and posts some "rule" about them being ineligible because they're from spin-offs.
To be fair, it's not so much as a "no spin-offs" rule as it is us not knowing Sakurai's stance on the matter.

Pokemaniac

He is hardly guaranteed, especially because Zelda Wii U was explicitly intended to break series conventions.

Hatchtag

Banned
Ganondorf won't have been in a main-series Zelda game in a decade, discounting the possibility of an appearance in Triforce Heroes. It'd be cool if they finally brought him back considering how lame most the other villains have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom